Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MOTU Comics presents 'The Origin of Hordak'

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    "How does one go about becoming a demigod? And, what the heck is a demigod anyway? These questions and more will be answered in MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: THE ORIGIN OF HORDAK! Travel to the distant past and learn how the old gods died and how Hordak went from being a conquerer of the cosmos to something very like a god."

It never says see the birth, what made him go this way etc, etc....
    Given this, the title really does live up to its name, though in a slightly skewed way; and why are people wanting to see Hordak's birth, anyway? I can't imagine a more dull comic. At least with this one, we get quite a bit of action, and even though it does not tell us much of Hordak as a soldier for the Horde, it certainly does show us how he became uber-powerful. It is also possible that this is yet another Zodac, and not the one that is around during the time of He-Man. Since Zodak took his name in honor of Zodac, it is possible that the current Zodac took his name from an even earlier Zodac.

After reading this again, it is actually quite an entertaining issue. Sure, its not my preferred MOTU, but it is still far better than nothing. And this is not at all a sloppy job on the art, this is Giffens newer style. Take a look at his OMAC series, as well as his one issue of Legion of Superheroes, it is the same. Its unfortunate that people don't care for this Kirbyesque style, but I, at least, enjoy it.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Yes. But you have to know where this kind of poor "artistic" level comes from : Mattel. I bet you the DC guys got the minimum wage for what they're doing. The smallest investment seems the best from a BUSINESS standpoint. Greed, again and again. The pride in what they do and the quality in their productions are the least ofr their concerns... they just do the BARE MINIMUM. Well, they'll get the fruits of their rotten policy : as far as I'm concerned I didn't support or buy any of those terrible comics.
    I agree with all of that.

That being said, how many amateur artists would take that "minimum" wage just to get their work out there? And would have done far better work...

This is laziness on the part of all parties involved.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I agree with all of that.

That being said, how many amateur artists would take that "minimum" wage just to get their work out there? And would have done far better work...

This is laziness on the part of all parties involved.
    This 'laziness' is by no means limited to MOTU....I have to put up with the crappiest of the crappiest for YEARS...somewhere in the late 90's it became OKAY for DC and MARVEL to hire anything with a heartbeat for a penciller. (My personal theory it was under the justification of trying to replicate the success of non-traditional artists like Mignola, Keith, Wagner...who were often criticized for their sloppiness.

The worst part is, that any talent they actually get, move on rather quickly or just pencil covers, or splash pages allowing the much less talented BSQUAD to do the interior work. But people still buy comic books, so they must be doing something right...but that doesn't make it "good".
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Yes. But you have to know where this kind of poor "artistic" level comes from : Mattel. I bet you the DC guys got the minimum wage for what they're doing. The smallest investment seems the best from a BUSINESS standpoint. Greed, again and again. The pride in what they do and the quality in their productions are the least ofr their concerns... they just do the BARE MINIMUM. Well, they'll get the fruits of their rotten policy : as far as I'm concerned I didn't support or buy any of those terrible comics.
    You think Keith Giffen gets minimum wage? Giffen is one of Comicdoms great creators. He's worked on epic runs of Justice League of America, Justice League, Legion of Superheroes, and Doom Patrol, to name but a few. If anything, he will be getting quite a big paycheck for his work on MOTU. As for Pop Mahon over in the regular title, he is probably on the lower echelon of the DC payroll, but compared to what most Indie companies will pay, that is still pretty decent.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryLiger View Post
    I think Giffen read in some series bible that Teela had a temper and translated that into the screeching shrew she has become.
    When you used the phrase “shrew” meaning an ill-tempered and/or aggressively assertive woman, it immediately reminded me of Shakespeare’s play The Taming of the Shrew, where Katherina (Teela) is the headstrong daughter of a lord, and the “shrew” of the title, with no interest in boys, who Petruchio (Adam) a gentleman with servants, decides to court, the "taming", until she mellows and eventually becomes his loyal respectful bride (i.e. the future Queen Teela who is probably shown in Masters of the Universe #3 – the one telling the story of Cringer / Battle Cat). This by my counting makes two possible references to Shakespeare in the current comics (The first being this origin comic with its monologues and the image of Hordak with the red skull that are so reminiscent of Shakespeare’s play Hamlet as I stated earlier).

I’m beginning to think the references to Shakespeare’s plays are planned and could be influencing the story being told. Then again, I could also be “giving TIIC of this series far too much credit” like Telkan2 says.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Example :

A very quick sketch by Axel Gimenez .

These are the same designs from the Hordak Issue but for some reason they look much/very/more Motu, as you realize when someone kNOWS Motu.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/71/jle3.jpg
    Agreed........

- - - Updated - - -

No love for the property and no PRIDE in their own work...
    100% agreed...

My personal opinion: this issue was garbage. The prolonged wait was not worth it and Hordak/Zodac are brothers? Somebody really phoned it in this time. I dont believe I got a real origin story out of this. 1/5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Foe Man View Post
    Given this, the title really does live up to its name, though in a slightly skewed way; and why are people wanting to see Hordak's birth, anyway? I can't imagine a more dull comic. At least with this one, we get quite a bit of action, and even though it does not tell us much of Hordak as a soldier for the Horde, it certainly does show us how he became uber-powerful. It is also possible that this is yet another Zodac, and not the one that is around during the time of He-Man. Since Zodak took his name in honor of Zodac, it is possible that the current Zodac took his name from an even earlier Zodac.

After reading this again, it is actually quite an entertaining issue. Sure, its not my preferred MOTU, but it is still far better than nothing. And this is not at all a sloppy job on the art, this is Giffens newer style. Take a look at his OMAC series, as well as his one issue of Legion of Superheroes, it is the same. Its unfortunate that people don't care for this Kirbyesque style, but I, at least, enjoy it.
    Well I wasn't necessarily stating I wanted to see his birth as much I was attempting to just use some word association to the word origin... To just get a simple story of an over dragged battle with heavy monologue which was next to already over does not give me any story and as many have felt more questions.

Once again if it was Hec-Tor Kur battling for this ultimate power and transforming into Hordak... HEY there ya go we have the grounds of an actually origin, birth of a character.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Foe Man View Post

I agree with you 100% I took a look at it again after all the debate just to make sure I had read the same thing that everyone here seems to be bashing and yup, liked it more the second time. I like the design of Hordak and how demonic/vampiric he looks. Quite fitting with the premise of the story. I've seen much sloppier work in a lot of other comics (better than some of the other MOTU comics for sure). I still like it.

I thought it was ok. Hordak was a little too powerful for my tastes and I'm not a big fan of Zodac or the brothers thing.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I agree.

EXCEPT...I'm sure there are lots of great comic stories written by folks that aren't necessarily fans, but CARE about the quality of their work.

MOTU now feels like something that's being done to collect a paycheck.

If they don't care about MOTU, they could at least care about the perception of their work and not not just mail it in every month.
    Cant argue with that. I've always like Giffen but this is not his best work......... Hoping it gets better over time.

I'm in the didn't like it crowd. The new comics are MOTU in name only. It's like someone liked the character designs and wrote their own stories without checking what was already out there.

It kind of felt like a comic that had DC's Ares and Batman fighting and finding out they are brothers. That comic would bomb because it would clash with accepted cannon. And make no sense... like this one with the MOTU storyline.

The current comics, in my opinion, just keep getting worse. They started at a B and the grade is down to a D-... one more drop and I'm out. As much as I find the Bio's blah... I'd rather have them than these comics.

cyber-assassin
    Abit off topic, but since the only stuff I've bought from comixology were the motu comics, is there a way to d/l them from comixology? I'd kinda like to have the files on my pc in the event the site ever goes away.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

I didn't hate this comic, but it definitely wasn't my cup of MOTU tea. Ironically, I remember reading some fan fiction from I believe it was Vaults of Grayskull where it turned out that Hordak and Zodac were brothers, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by faker32828 View Post
    Abit off topic, but since the only stuff I've bought from comixology were the motu comics, is there a way to d/l them from comixology? I'd kinda like to have the files on my pc in the event the site ever goes away.
    You can't exactly download the files, but it is possible to make a screenshot of every page (or spread) and bundle them in a PDF.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I got mine yesterday, still have to look through it.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Got the issue this past Friday, and like all of the DC NU MOTU titles, I felt it was pretty awful. I'm all for brand promotion, but to have the franchise get this butchered leaves a lot to be desired.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    I'm in the didn't like it crowd. The new comics are MOTU in name only. It's like someone liked the character designs and wrote their own stories without checking what was already out there.

It kind of felt like a comic that had DC's Ares and Batman fighting and finding out they are brothers. That comic would bomb because it would clash with accepted cannon. And make no sense... like this one with the MOTU storyline.

The current comics, in my opinion, just keep getting worse. They started at a B and the grade is down to a D-... one more drop and I'm out. As much as I find the Bio's blah... I'd rather have them than these comics.
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm entirely with you there; I started out with high hopes - soon dashed by the inanely pedestrian plotting and poor writing of the mini-series - I hung on to see the ongoing - and find it WORSE STILL.

It's so bitterly disappointing to see such crud served up as MotU; how any writer has the astounding arrogance to do a fundamental re-write without heed to precedent and canon - and then make such an utter hash of it is - breathtaking. A complete failure of research, due care, respect for the property and - worst of all - basic writing competence.

'MotU in name only' sums it up perfectly; and a PROUD name being taken in vain, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakashian Calamari View Post
    Got the issue this past Friday, and like all of the DC NU MOTU titles, I felt it was pretty awful. I'm all for brand promotion, but to have the franchise get this butchered leaves a lot to be desired.
    Yes indeed; butchered is about it. I just don't understand how anyone who is (allegedly) a professional can turn out such ruddy awful work. Is it sheer laziness (unacceptable) or sheer contempt for MotU (unforgiveable) that has bred these unloved and misbegotten offspring?

If I produced material like this I'd be ashamed - and my agent and publishers would flay me alive; dammit - I'd give them the knives to do it with, too!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Got mine over the weekend, it was OK, I liked out old school the art looked and it looked "messy". Hordak does seem too powerful though. Seeing Leech as a massive monster was a nice nod to his mini comic.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I just read this issue. I liked Hordak: devour-er of Souls. THAT was pretty disturbing/awesome! Honestly, that was pretty much all I liked about the issue! It just left me full of questions, desires and feeling unfulfilled.

- Giant battle between Cosmic Enforcers and the Horde people. What was that like? What did the Horde people LOOK like? Did they look like Hordak?
    - If Hordak and Zodac are brothers (groan!), why is Hordak a creature/freak? Was he polluted by dark magic/science like Shadow Weaver in the PoP cartoon? Also, both of the main villains are brothers of main heroes. Gee, I wonder who King Hiss' brother is? Is it Man-E-Faces? He did turn into a snakeman a few times.
    - This comic neither showed how Hordak came to look non-human (being Zodac's brother), nor how he came to be that corpse in the ground/living wall...whatever the heck he is now...unless that's what he transformed into after the final panel and it just wasn't shown.

I don't know...I liked it up until Zodac called him brother. The story then SOLELY seemed to focus on that and not the important things. SO much wasted potential. Also, I know it's been said a lot, but I didn't care for the art. +1 for Axel's rendition.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I just read this issue. I liked Hordak: devour-er of Souls. THAT was pretty disturbing/awesome! Honestly, that was pretty much all I liked about the issue! It just left me full of questions, desires and feeling unfulfilled.

- Giant battle between Cosmic Enforcers and the Horde people. What was that like? What did the Horde people LOOK like? Did they look like Hordak?
    - If Hordak and Zodac are brothers (groan!), why is Hordak a creature/freak? Was he polluted by dark magic/science like Shadow Weaver in the PoP cartoon? Also, both of the main villains are brothers of main heroes. Gee, I wonder who King Hiss' brother is? Is it Man-E-Faces? He did turn into a snakeman a few times.
    - This comic neither showed how Hordak came to look non-human (being Zodac's brother), nor how he came to be that corpse in the ground/living wall...whatever the heck he is now...unless that's what he transformed into after the final panel and it just wasn't shown.

I don't know...I liked it up until Zodac called him brother. The story then SOLELY seemed to focus on that and not the important things. SO much wasted potential. Also, I know it's been said a lot, but I didn't care for the art. +1 for Axel's rendition.
    Yes indeed; poor stuff overall - and in places simply absurd and silly. And - as ever - the written style left a huge amount to be desired.
    Agreed entirely.

The tone of this book made me think that, while I enjoyed the Origin of Skeletor issue well enough, it was primarily the story of Keldor - and a reasonably well done retelling of that tale. But I'd be far more interested in an issue dedicated to Demo-Man's story.

A very interesting article about the Jack Kirby influence on that comic.

http://comicsalliance.com/keith-giff...iverse-hordak/

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

This is by far the best origin comic so far. I absolutely loved it! The are was phenomenal and the story and dialogue were absolutely great. Very grandiose. I have no problem with Hordak and Zodak being brothers. Very Kirbyesque that was.

Hordak seems to be a formidable foe for He-man and his gang. I'm anxious to see how they fare against the horde.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback