Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comics presents 'The Origin of Hordak'

Looks nifty. I'm looking forward to this one.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I have been really optimistic about things so far, but I really dislike it when they try to turn Zodac into Green Lantern.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wasn't aware that Giffen was an artist. This reads pretty interesting so far.

Hordak and Zodac were around a million years ago....

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

No Horde Prime!? I am starting to like the DC Universe...

Looks promising ... even though in my canon Hordak is a clone of Horde Prime who once was Prime Evil before he left Earth to conquer the universe together with his newly recruited generals Overlord and Stampede ... I'm loosing track, am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Hmmm it actually seems cool from those first few panels. Have to see it all to know.

regardless, I am still not a fan of the "Giger" Hordak we have seen so far in the regular series.
    You get a "Giger" feel? Perhaps when they showed him in the previous book, or I believe issue #1.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior
    Cool preview, but 1,000,000 years ago seems a bit of a stretch. Since the Classics line started, I've been thinking it would be cool to see some of the cosmic characters fighting or interacting with the Horde. Glad to see others are thinking the same thing.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Cool preview, but 1,000,000 years ago seems a bit of a stretch. Since the Classics line started, I've been thinking it would be cool to see some of the cosmic characters fighting or interacting with the Horde. Glad to see others are thinking the same thing.
    That idea goes back to the 200X series--it was pursuing the "cosmic warrior He-Ro" that brought Hordak to Eternia, according to his bio on Volume 2.

I absolutely LOVE (and was not expecting) that this issue seems to serve as both a backstory to Zodac as well as Hordak!!! And here I was thinking the big Z would get no DC love. This issue looks better than anything in the "New 52 MOTU" that's come before it

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    That idea goes back to the 200X series--it was pursuing the "cosmic warrior He-Ro" that brought Hordak to Eternia, according to his bio on Volume 2.
    Umm nope.
    That dates to 2008 with MOTUC's story.

In 2002-cartoon there was no He-Ro. That's why you have King Grayskull all of a sudden as the Ancestor. So Hordak had nothing to do with He-Ro.

He-Ro was shown in the comic though, but couldn't be mentioned.
    The DVD was released much later and by then MOTUC was starting.

Hordak pursuing He-Ro to Eternia is from MOTUC-based story.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Interestingly, that concept was not a planned part of the MYP cartoon. It was added by Mattel after the fact, just as the Classics line was getting ready to start up.

EDIT: I see Jukka just addressed this too.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I love the Kirby-ness of the art, although the last two pages with Zodac seemed a little less so than the cover and first three pages.

Kind of surprised how many biblical references they got into the first page. Birth of Adam (I know, different Adam), baptism, Creator's mercy, devil...I guess they're going for the fall of Lucifer here. Too bad that they skip Horde Prime for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    What the heck is an "overkill battalion?"
    Probably not what they were going for but anything over 650 battalions does seem like overkill.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Really excited to read this. The preview looks very intriguing.

I, too, am liking the looks of this. Very cool to see the Cosmic Enforcers take a pivotal role in this story. Now if we can just get a "crisis" to reboot the first arc of the new ongoing, I'll give DC some proper kudos for their MOTU run.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Penny, Jukka--Thanks for clarifying that. I'm still keeping it as part of my internal continuation of 200X, with a couple of twists.

Love me some Zodac so I am excited for this...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    WOW, this DC Hordak looks a lot more bad-ass and malevolent than he did in the Filmation cartoons and 1980's comics. Can't wait for him to meet He-Man and/or She-Ra.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Love for Zodac from DC? Nah... i hope it does not end in the death of Zodac while stopping Hordak making big boo boo in the galaxy and creating that stupid other design of Hordak...
    Sorry, as much as i like the relative normal looking Hordak and Enforcer, i don't have much hope for that story. But i would gladly be wrong and this is comic is the best they ever made. But i doubt that.

I like the setup so far and although I'm not really into that kind of drawing style, now that I see it in colour, it does lend some brooding energy to the pages. Giffen is definitely a better illustrator than a writer.

The opening narration on the other hand just makes me cringe. It's like an anthology of stylistic repetition: epistrophe followed by anaphora, followed by epanalepsis, followed by anadiplosis, etc ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I like the setup so far and although I'm not really into that kind of drawing style, now that I see it in colour, it does lend some brooding energy to the pages. Giffen is definitely a better illustrator than a writer.

The opening narration on the other hand just makes me cringe. It's like an anthology of stylistic repetition: epistrophe followed by anaphora, followed by epanalepsis, followed by anadiplosis, etc ...
    Now that is some SERIOUS critical erudition - I'm impressed! (And, also, you are completely right on both points!)
    Last edited by Scriptor; June 9, 2013 at 08:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor73 View Post
    Well, let's not be dramatic or anything... You do know, you don't have to read it, right? I mean it *is* an option to not buy the comic, after all.

As for me, I'm actually kind of excited about this. I want to see where the story goes. It's not my favorite art style but I am intrigued by him being a demigod and finding out what happened to all the gods on his planet. Also I'd like to see the reasons they give for Hordak not conquering Eternia if he finds the planet to be so insignificant.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ()
    Just like it's an option to buy the figures..... But then, who are we to complain when we do, eh?

Sometimes the best thing are left unexplained, elaborated on possibly but nothing more....
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Nope, it's a Cosmic Enforcer. Not sure who the CE is though.
    Just want to say ya I called it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN View Post
    Keith Giffen's art style has a nice Jack Kirby Fourth World look to it!
    Yup, I really liked it and immediately thought of Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    What the heck is an "overkill battalion?" They seem very fond of using it - the Horde apparently have them too - but does it actually have any meaning? None in any military setting I've ever come across, that's sure....

Killing is killing. It happens just the once.That's all.
    No, You can kill a fly with a fly swatter or an atomic bomb. One is killing, the other is OVER killing
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

So when is this thing s'posed to come out?

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Okay, not a fan of the majority of the DC canon so far, but I think it's clear I love my Ruthless Leader and I totally love cosmic-themed stuff and these first few pages were EPIC, so... Colour me interested!
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!