Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comics presents 'The Origin of Hordak'

Amazing Kirby-art from Giffen. Since the MOTU film was pretty close to being a New Gods film, this is a nice parallel to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    What the heck is an "overkill battalion?" They seem very fond of using it - the Horde apparently have them too - but does it actually have any meaning? None in any military setting I've ever come across, that's sure....

Killing is killing. It happens just the once.That's all.
    Something the writers thought sounded cool. I like the sound of it, very saturday morning cartoon-esque. probably a battalion that is set to just decimate the opponent leaving behind as little survivors and resources as possible. They did say it became mutual genocide. Genocide certainly is overkill
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythew View Post
    So when is this thing s'posed to come out?
    It comes out this Wednesday June 12th.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wasn't aware that Giffen was an artist. This reads pretty interesting so far.
    Giffen's work in the 80s and 90s is pretty big stuff, actually. He was the artist on the Great Darkness Saga in Legion of Super-Heroes and creator of characters like Lobo and Ambush Bug. This looks like a middle-road approach to his style, incorporating some of his early, clean style and his later, very weird avaunt-gard style, with a lot of Kirby mixed in.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Something the writers thought sounded cool. I like the sound of it, very saturday morning cartoon-esque. probably a battalion that is set to just decimate the opponent leaving behind as little survivors and resources as possible. They did say it became mutual genocide. Genocide certainly is overkill
    Yes; something the writers thought sounded cool is about it. It has no actual meaning, since dead is - well - dead - irrespective of method. It's merely a figure of speech.
    And you are, in effect, right: in modern warfare as practiced on Earth, a battalion which eliminated 10% of the enemy's offensive capacity would be doing very well indeed. Decimation - which orginated in the Roman legions as a way of punishing mutiny - was exactly that: 10% of the strength, chosen by lot, executed by the rest as a disciplinary measure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    Giffen's work in the 80s and 90s is pretty big stuff, actually. He was the artist on the Great Darkness Saga in Legion of Super-Heroes and creator of characters like Lobo and Ambush Bug. This looks like a middle-road approach to his style, incorporating some of his early, clean style and his later, very weird avaunt-gard style, with a lot of Kirby mixed in.
    He is most certainly a far, far better artist than he is writer.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Giffen can be a very versatile artist. He had a clean, sci-fi style of his own in Legion, and a completely different, Berni Wrightson style in some Dr. Fate tales I recall. He's definitely channeling Kirby here, and in a good way. He has lapsed into a lazy, minimalist style at times (and this time not in a good way), but when he puts effort into it, he can really wow you. Unlike a lot of today's artists, he has the basics down: structure, design, layout, all solid stuff even when he is being a little lazy. He knows how to tell a story visually.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Giffen can be a very versatile artist. He had a clean, sci-fi style of his own in Legion, and a completely different, Berni Wrightson style in some Dr. Fate tales I recall. He's definitely channeling Kirby here, and in a good way. He has lapsed into a lazy, minimalist style at times (and this time not in a good way), but when he puts effort into it, he can really wow you. Unlike a lot of today's artists, he has the basics down: structure, design, layout, all solid stuff even when he is being a little lazy. He knows how to tell a story visually.
    I agree wholly; but, as a writer, in the particular context of these DC Comics, he is deplorably third-rate in every way.
    Perhaps he was being lazy here as well! If so - then what a pity that he didn't care enough for MoTU to stir himself to a half-way decent effort.

Snappy Threader
    I can not wait until tomorrow to get this issue. It looks amazing.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I agree wholly; but, as a writer, in the particular context of these DC Comics, he is deplorably third-rate in every way.
    Perhaps he was being lazy here as well! If so - then what a pity that he didn't care enough for MoTU to stir himself to a half-way decent effort.
    Which is a shame, because he can do some good stuff. While the funny Justice League stuff got a bit ridiculous, some other things he did had some real substance. I still recall the Caitiff story (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Caitiff_(New_Earth)) , which was both poignant and powerful. Maybe he just doesn't have that much interest in this property...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

It's online ... downloaded and read it ... and have to read it again.

Art: Great!

Story: Disappointing, to say the least.

It's like a MotU Classics bio - instead of getting answers to questions, we actually end up with even MORE questions.

This felt not like a one-shot, but rather like issue 3 or 4 of a "The Origin of Hordak" 6-part miniseries.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Which is a shame, because he can do some good stuff. While the funny Justice League stuff got a bit ridiculous, some other things he did had some real substance. I still recall the Caitiff story (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Caitiff_(New_Earth)) , which was both poignant and powerful. Maybe he just doesn't have that much interest in this property...

It is indeed a shame; that's one of the chief reasons that I feel so let down by these comics; I feel MotU deserves - and requires - everyone's BEST efforts, not some slapdash one-buttocked piece of work tossed off as an aside; and that, to me, is what we're getting here. Mark Twain was - as ever - right in saying that what is written without effort is generally read without pleasure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Art: Great!

Story: Disappointing, to say the least.

It's like a MotU Classics bio - instead of getting answers to questions, we actually end up with even MORE questions.

This felt not like a one-shot, but rather like issue 3 or 4 of a "The Origin of Hordak" 6-part miniseries.
    You sum it up very nicely; nothing to add to that.

Heroic Warrior
    I liked it. The story and art was very Kirby-esque, which I thought was cool. I do wish it was longer though. We need MOTU double-sized one-shots (64 pages)!

Just finished reading it. It didn't tell us anything, and I'm left wondering if there is a Horde Prime in the DC universe...

I hated it. The writer went on and on in these dueling, over-worded, superficial monologues. He's definitely not as clever as he thinks himself to be. I can't imagine the motu publication to last very long if this is the sort of product that goes to final print.

My PO is coming, should get it it within a week....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

OK, I read it 3 times now ... I like that it's extremely open ended and that it rises so many questions. But calling it an "oringin" is quite a miss

Some things that I noticed (or I'd like to ask native speakers since the nuaunces of this "heavy" language are sometimes difficult to interprete) ...

Zodac is the brother of Hordak?!
    It seems that the red skull that we know from the Laserlot one-shot and the 6part comic is in fact the father of Hordak - Horde-Prime?!
    Poor Leech.
    Zodac becomes part of Hordak who now has the shadow of Bat-Man.
    The laste sentence suggest somehow that Hordaks power might be - a "little bit later" the source for He-Man's power?!

Cheers.

If anything you just wrote in the spoiler is true, i just hate it... Except for Leech, because i don't know why he is poor Maybe he got robbed.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Just finished reading it. Here are my thoughts on it...

So...this is how the "vampire" idea comes to pass. Hordak absorbs souls and gets more powerful. He tricked Zodac into thinking that he was weak and had the enforcer wage a brutal war with the Horde. Hordak simply absorbed all of the souls, both Horde and Enforcer.

I see they've made Zodac more consistent with ZodaK. I guess ZodaK has taken Zodac's place.

Zodac being Hordak's brother was odd as hell.

Hordak casting a Batman shadow was over the top. C'mon, now...

The Red Skull is the head of Horde Prime? At least Hordak is leader of the Horde in this incarnation.

What the hell happened to Leech's appearance? He's a million years old too?

This wasn't really an origin at all. Just a Hordak one-shot.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar

Origin of Hordak...

So I've been super supportive of the MOTU comics mostly because I want the property to continue and grow. I will say I guess I'm really disappointed in this. First, Hordak is one of my favorite characters. While I think the art style was ok, the tone was ok, I just think the story fell flat. There were pages and pages of dialogue that droned on and on that could have been used to further tell a deeper story.

Ok! What gives? I don't mind the idea of Hordak and Zodak being brothers. Who knows, maybe it's not in a literal sense or maybe he is adopted? The synopsis tells us we learn how Hordak becomes a demi-god. Ok, he absorbs souls but how did he get this power? Did the pages of my digital copy stick together at the point where they mentioned him killing the gods of his planet? That too, was mentioned in the comic and so did explaining just what a demigod is/was. Maybe I was asleep but I seem to have missed it. So he's this huge threat to the universe. I mean they make him out to be almost all powerful. How is He-man or She-Ra (if we ever get her from Despara) going to beat someone who can essentially absorb you?

I felt it was too rushed. I really like the idea and possibilities of where this story was heading but it didn't go there at all. The premise was great and would have made a great story but I felt they squandered it. Maybe I'll sit down and write some fanfiction and tell the tale that should have happened. LOL

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Like several it seems I had to read the comic more than once to work out what all the monologues actually meant. Very clever, but it did make my head hurt with all the thinking!

Two other comments.

The plot sounds very familiar…….

The monologues, the troubled family, (probable) murder of the father, the madness and lack of morals of one or more family members, and the scene with Hordak and the red skull are very reminiscent of Shakespeare’s Hamlet.

Hordak looks and feels like someone else…….

Absorbs souls, red eyes, rock-like face, demi-God, extremely powerful and leads a militaristic society. Surely, he is not becoming another Darkseid????
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Yeah, I think I will have to read this one again to fully understand everything. hehe
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I actually really loved this one, and think both art and writing-wise, it's the best one DC's done yet. I don't see anything wrong with Zodac and Hordak being brothers, and kind of like that idea- it doesn't contradict anything we've been told about either of them (and let's face it, through the years we've been told very little about these two characters- even with Hordak being the main villain on She-Ra, we never knew all that much about his background nor was it terribly clear what his abilities (aside from shape-shifting into a Hordak Rocket or whatnot) were. So this "new" stuff is all cool by me. It also doesn't go against anything we've "learned" about MOTU in this new DC universe. I'm also quite fond of the new tagline "Cosmic Vampire"
    Neither of the previous "Origin" stories seemed to serve as proper "origins" at all, so I'm not surprised this issue doesn't get into the particulars of Hordak's childhood, how he came to be, etc. Overall, it's a nice little starting-off point for Hordak, a fun one-shot to throw his character out there into the comic world, and now I'm itching to know more about how we got from this issue to his formless Giger-esque appearance in the current storyline. I like his use of "I have the power!" at the end of the issue, but certainly don't think it's meant to imply that he's the source of He-Man and She-Ra's powers or anything like that. I see it as just a lil' shout people like to holler out when they get a bit of the ol' power-up... LOL.
    Last edited by zodak74; June 12, 2013 at 06:11pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    As one of the biggest Hordak fans out there, I was rather disappointed in all aspects of this one-shot, including the art.

Like Mavericius referenced above, I am wondering if we find out that Hordak ends up being the source of Power that King Grayskull or someone captures back and Hordak is then turned in to that alien looking thing.

Really the only highlight of the issue for me was that they used the Filmation version of Fright Zone from the outside.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Zodac and Hordak being brothers is totally absurd for me... It's like Chewbacca is the brother of Darth Vader.
    In the end everybody is connected with everybody and he-man is in fact the long lost cousins son of the mothers father of the third degree aunt of Hordak... this is all a big family feud? Just ridiculous.

I don't mind not knowing about the terrible childhood Hordak and Zodac might have had... they are just there. Especially Zodac. I like mystery, i don't need to know everything (wich they obviously didn't show in the comic when more questions are left and it wasn't a real Origin). So like many of the bios that aren't bios at all: Fail.