Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comics presents 'The Origin of Hordak'

I liked it, mainly for the Kirby style. However I didn't like how Zodak's helmet looked, and while I liked Hordak he did at times look like a recolored Etrigan.

I didn't mind the style of the writing, but I got confused about who Hordak was talking about. He seemed to indicate the red skull of evil we have been seeing in the DC comics belonged to his father--only apparently that father loved Zodac the "good" son more than Hordak. So...what was the deal with them then? Was Hordak the Kalibak to Zodac's Orion and their dad was Darkseid who despite also being evil still favored the "good" son? Even that sounds a little too complicated for the cryptic dialogue. Maybe I just didn't read it right.

Otherwise though I liked it fine enough. I'd be on board to see this story continue. Does Zodac survive? Why didn't Hordak succeed at conquering the universe a million years ago? What's the connection between his power and Grayskull's? I don't know how it connects up to the rest of what DC has shown us, but then I'm still wondering if there was a point to what happened to Sir Laser-Lot in the first digital short or if that (and now possibly this) was just a story with no intended ending.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 12, 2013 at 06:42pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I don't think this story was written for the fans. (much like the rest of the series.)

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it.

I love Zodac, I love Hordak...but this comic ...ugh... the art was bendy, unappealing & lackluster, and the story was endless monologues with very little content imho. I was certainly hoping for better. This is one of the modern DC's efforts I have liked the least.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Read it this morning. Had several thoughts.

On the family tree...

I like that Hordak and Zodac are brothers. The entire issue felt like a huge nod to Kirby's Fourth World, so this is a fun parallel to the familial ties of the New Gods. Horde Prime = Darkseid, Hordak = Kalibak, Zodac = Orion.

On the "origin"...

This really doesn't feel like an origin issue, at all. Much like the prior entries in this "Origin of" series, it feels like it picks up in the middle of a mini series, and I doubt we'll ever get resolution in either direction.

On the Red Skull

I, like others, think this is the same skull from the mini and the SLL digital issue. Does this mean that there is more to the story of Skeletor's reality manipulation than we thought? Was Hordak manipulating Skeletor, or did Skeletor just come into possession of the skull on his own?

On Hordak's base...

VERY cool to see the FILMation Fright Zone!

I stated in prior posts in regards to these new comics, that they have moved away from us fans to attain a larger audience and create a new fan base. And this is testament on why some things should just be left alone...

With that being said... This one shot is clearly a blank!

First of all the book should be titled... 'The Rise of Hordak' as this just highlights a battle and by the definition of the word origin... does not provide any historu or information on how he becomes, rather than how he gets!

Now sadly with all the other family tree links in this universe, I really didn't have a problem if we didn't have the over saturated theme already running rampant. I actually thought back even during the 200X series that there would such a link between the 2!

Kieth Giffin a industry legend brings a cool art style but not to many a pleasure. And this issue for me was an overdrawn monologue fight between 2 characters, not too much of a story going on here....

I really want to like and want more and hope for many of you that you can absorb this better. Simply was another let down...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Picked it up today and like others, was pretty let down. I don't care for the relationships between characters in the issue, nor do I like the word millennia being thrown around. Just my two cents.

Heroic Warrior
    I went to the comic store to buy it, thumbed through the pages, and put it right back on the shelf. Disappointing garbage.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I'm in disbelief that with all of the talented artists out there, that DC continues to put out such utter garbage.
    I actually enjoyed the story, Jack Kirby rip-off though it was...it worked.

But that art...dear sweet lord, WHY?!?!?
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I'm only buying the comics to have them, I don't care much for them, but it gives me something to read, not a huge comic book fan at all.

That being said, my copy is on it's way, should get it by Saturday or Monday.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Chewer of Trollans
    This works better almost as a silent book. I just ?clicked? through it again and it was better without reading the long-winded, repetitive monologues. It didn't feel complete. I didn't really care about Hordak, Zodac, or mindless Leech. I did like the premise. In the end, I feel like DC's Masters books will feel disjointed all the way through its run.

What is the purpose of this comic? I am not sure if it even has a story. Nothing really happens. Some battle that we didn't even see is over and then they talk. And that's it. There is NOTHING about the origin of Hordak here. We just see how he became somewhat more powerful at some point in his career. That's the whole story.

Zodac and Hordak being brothers just feels old and unimaginative. Randor/Keldor, He-Man/Despara, Hordak/Zodac... everyone seems to be a sibling in this MOTU universe. Is the new MOTU universe, and the imagination of its writers, so small that everyone is related?? Who's next? Is King Hiss the brother of the original Sorceress? Does everyone have to be related? is there a single family on Eternia where kids get along and don't start a planetary massacre?

I wish we had seen something about Hordak being a boy, discovering magic, technology, becoming evil... did he create the Evil Horde, or did he join it and slowly rose through the ranks? What did he have to do to become so powerful? If you're gonna call it "The Origin of Hordak" then give us something about his origin. Anything...

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Aside from the Evil-Lyn one shot, this stands out as the worst of the new comics yet in my mind. The Zodac and Hordak connection is absurd--though, had it been fleshed out, it admittedly had potential. Unfortunately, as with the rest of the series, it it suffered significantly from poor writing, ****-poor art, a severe lack of originality, and, most significantly, a woeful disrespectful and ignorance of what made this property so great in the first place. I honestly never thought I'd see the day when I'd rather see a MOTU-related product cancelled outright than continue on, but this pathetic excuse for a comic series is an absolute travesty and, in the long run, I fear Giffen will ultimately do more harm to the property than Jungle Attack He-Man and the other peg-clogging variants.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

To me it was the origin of the Demi-God era of Hordak, not so much his childhood origin. It is the same story we got previously with He-Man and Skeletor. We see where they get their power and not what brought them to it. The DC Hordak seems more magic and sinister than we are use to and less reliant on technology. Again i think it fits with the other Origin books because it shows his ascension to the powerful Hordak. And i enjoyed art as well. It was a bit hard to read at points but visually it was the right style for this story IMO. I am truly enjoying this different take on MOTU.

When did this "demi-god" thing happen? To me Hordak was always a powerful magician (as well as tech savvy strategist) but I never saw him as demi-god, or anything close to that. In 200x he was still a trapped wizard who needs Evil Lyn to set him free. I often hear the "demigod" moniker now, so just wandering when did we upgrade Hordak to that level? Is it more of a DC thing?

Heroic Warrior
    Hordak as a demigod is from DC canon. I agree with wundarwarrior that these origin stories are more like origins of the powers of these characters in DC canon.

I got it yesterday, and I simply hated it. What the hell is this now, brothers in agony, meh!? They're trying too hard to make the series very dark and twisted, yet it's ending up being lame!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I liked it.....but are they brothers or does Hordak just talk like Hulk Hogan?!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    Aside from the Evil-Lyn one shot, this stands out as the worst of the new comics yet in my mind. The Zodac and Hordak connection is absurd--though, had it been fleshed out, it admittedly had potential. Unfortunately, as with the rest of the series, it it suffered significantly from poor writing, ****-poor art, a severe lack of originality, and, most significantly, a woeful disrespectful and ignorance of what made this property so great in the first place. I honestly never thought I'd see the day when I'd rather see a MOTU-related product cancelled outright than continue on, but this pathetic excuse for a comic series is an absolute travesty and, in the long run, I fear Giffen will ultimately do more harm to the property than Jungle Attack He-Man and the other peg-clogging variants.
    I'm very much of your mind on this; the abysmal writing standards and the complete lack of understanding of or respect for the Eternian mythos have indeed made a travesty of these comics. And - yes; they are already doing real harm.
    A very significant proportion of fans dislike them heartily (many have already cancelled their subs) and there is scant evidence that they are doing anything to win-over droves of new ones - rather the reverse, in fact. I've seldom seen such a degree of condemnation, And yet it's deserved: why could DC not choose a writer who knew - or cared - enough for MotU actually to be able to script and write some convincing scenarios, dialogue and context? It really isn't that hard - not given the vast and diverse mine of material available ready to hand. Remember the MVC/Image comics? Instead we get this drivel - which reads like sub-high-school homework assignments. Whether writing painfully banal and mindless banter or attempting a portentous and elevated style (which swiftly dissolves into stream-of-consciousness monologues which read like a bad parody of James Joyce) this Giffen takes the entire biscuit factory.
    Frankly, reading this issue I almost wept - with laughter; until I realised that, actually, what was happening was very far from funny. Harmful to the property isn't funny at all; not in my book.

Responsible stewardship of the brand? Somehow, I don't think so. What were DC/Mattel thinking, letting this aberration out of its pit? Or, rather - why weren't they?

Is it really only ten years since MYP/MVC/Image and its sublime heights of storytelling and art? My, my; since Giffen was let loose to commit atrocities against both MotU and the English language, it seems a whole lot longer.....

I feel very, very let down. I was so looking forward to these comics. MotU - back in print again! But these one-buttocked disasters have cured me of that craving; I had almost rather see it consigned to history in decent peace than desecrated by uncaring, disrespectful imbecile inconoclasts who can't string a sentence together.

Eternia deserves better than that; Eternia deserves ONLY the best - always.
    Last edited by Scriptor; June 13, 2013 at 02:24pm.

How is it harmful to the property?! It's exposure and it was an awesome comic. If it had been completely new characters in a new series it would get praise and be a great start to a new series. Look past the fact that it's not the Hordak you knew but a seperate new entity all together and it's pretty awesome. I think nostalgia tends to stunt growth sometimes. But thinking that this comic would damage the property is pretty over dramatic. If ya don't like them, don't buy them. Buzz at the comic shop when I got mine though was pretty good on it. The Comic store was pretty close to being sold out after only be open a couple hours.....that's not damaging in my book. That's awesome. And for the record.....I liked the 200x books and buy them anytime I find them.....but I like these new ones a little better. I prefer these redesigns as well. They've just grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I'm very much of your mind on this; the abysmal writing standards and the complete lack of understanding of or respect for the Eternian mythos have indeed made a travesty of these comics. And - yes; they are already doing real harm.
    A very significant proportion of fans dislike them heartily (many have already cancelled their subs) and there is scant evidence that they are doing anything to win-over droves of new ones - rather the reverse, in fact. I've seldom seen such a degree of condemnation, And yet it's deserved: why could DC not choose a writer who knew - or cared - enough for MotU actually to be able to script and write some convincing scenarios, dialogue and context? It really isn't that hard - not given the vast and diverse mine of material available ready to hand. Remember the MVC/Image comics? Instead we get this drivel - which reads like sub-high-school homework assignments. Whether writing painfully banal and mindless banter or attempting a portentous and elevated style (which swiftly dissolves into stream-of-consciousness monologues which read like a bad parody of James Joyce) this Giffen takes the entire biscuit factory.
    Frankly, reading this issue I almost wept - with laughter; until I realised that, actually, what was happening was very far from funny. Harmful to the property isn't funny at all; not in my book.

Responsible stewardship of the brand? Somehow, I don't think so. What were DC/Mattel thinking, letting this aberration out of its pit? Or, rather - why weren't they?

Is it really only ten years since MYP/MVC/Image and its sublime heights of storytelling and art? My, my; since Giffen was let loose to commit atrocities against both MotU and the English language, it seems a whole lot longer.....

I feel very, very let down. I was so looking forward to these comics. MotU - back in print again! But these one-buttocked disasters have cured me of that craving; I had almost rather see it consigned to history in decent peace than desecrated by uncaring, disrepectful imbecile inconoclasts who can't string a sentence together.

Eternia deserves better than that; Eternia deserves ONLY the best - always.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    The comic could damage the property if it is poorly received. If it fails, what will the rationalization be? My hunch is that it would be said that the market doesn't have a strong enough interest in a MOTU comic. If the comic fails then it could hurt the chances of other media products like a TV show or even a movie. When the 200X line ended did Mattel say "well we kind of screwed up there by releasing too many He-man/Skeletor varients, poor per case character ratios, and distribution", or did they just say that the market didn't have enough interest in He-Man? There has been a history of bad decisions that put the burden on fans to purchase undesirable product in the hopes that they will get something desirable.

Now are some people totally blinded by nostalgia? Maybe, but I don't think the majority of people who have issues with this comic series are. I can only speak for myself, but what I would love to see is a product, with art and story, that were recognizable as He-Man, but more mature than the old Filmation cartoon. 200X had that at the very least. Sure there were design elements of that series that I didn't like, but I still felt like it was MOTU. I don't feel the same with this. I feel like this is other characters cosplaying as MOTU characters. Instead of building upon past story elements with Hordak, they basically make him Darkseid 2.0. Yippee.

Beyond that, many of the characters are just awful, with Teela being the biggest offender. You mean to tell me that after they just suffer a big defeat where people are killed by the Horde and have to retreat from Eternos, Teela is going to "rip on" Mekaneck for surviving? What the heck was that about? Not only does that not fit any kind of Teela ever, it is completely tacky. Why would someone act like that? And she is the favorite character the writer has, so i don't see it changing. There is no reason for it, he just thinks it is cool. And I will stand by that even if there is some "reason" revealed down the road, because that will just be a knee jerk reaction to justify the terrible portrayal.

Now if these were all brand new characters in a brand new setting would it bother me? That is hard to say. I am sure that the fact that these are characters that I have some baseline expectations for comes into play. But I think the same thing can be said for all "reimagined" properties andI can't imagine liking this Teela character no matter who she was. She is just terrible.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I liked it but, like many have said, it's not so much an origin as a one-shot. More questions than answers.

I don't mind that Hordak and Zodac are brothers (regardless of whether they are brothers by blood or brothers in arms) but the monologue-ing was way too over the top

Heroic Warrior
    I bought it because of the Kirby style, the art is better than the previous DC stuff but overall it's still bad and boring...

Snappy Threader
    I'm going to try to pick it up today or tomorrow. I see mixed reviews, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I have to admit Im not 100% happy with this issue either...just not sure why the love that classics is feeling is coming over in the comics...This story was confused..the art was not clear enough and sometimes it was hard to read and see what was going on..Im sorta ok about Zodak having a brother in Hordak and like the idea of a cosmic enforcers army elite but it is lacking and so have the other comics thus far...but i buy cause i wanna support

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Absolute utter garbage! Not a single thing in this is MOTU style. If that is the point then they succeeded. The deal is I don't want that. I feel as if Hollywood got involved somehow on this comic.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!