Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Earl Norem Discussion Thread

http://www.earlnorem.com/motugallerypage.html

I think this is as close as it gets...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

That is a good collection of some of his MOTU work! I have visited his website a few times. Ya, there prolly never was a book/guide of his artwork. Thatd be neat to have though IMO.

Anyone else a fan of his paintings!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NSP View Post
    That is a good collection of some of his MOTU work! I have visited his website a few times. Ya, there prolly never was a book/guide of his artwork. Thatd be neat to have though IMO.

Anyone else a fan of his paintings!

Of course!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSP View Post
    Ive always loved looking at Earl Norem's MOTU art work. I have a few of his posters...but I was curious as to if there was ever made a book or guide or something that has his paintings in it? Id love to have something like this. Anyone know if there ever was a collected edition of his MOTU work? Anyone else a fan of his!? Thanks!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...motu1_full.jpg
    Ain't that lower image you linked a painting by William George?

Just asking..... Was there ever prints made of Earl's classic MOTU artwork? Or are we all stuck tracking down various posters and MOTU magazines?
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Theres a guy on Ebay that sells prints of some of the magazine posters, I have no idea how good the quality is as I've never bought one. If you can track down the magazines its worth it, I have every magazine poster framed in my bedroom and they look freakin awesome. Earl also had some prints available at Power-Con of the vintage Rock Warriors Golden Book cover and his painting for the 200x comic cover. Not sure if those are still around and being sold or not.

Court Magician
    My favorite artist. I am saddened to hear of his apparent passing this past June.

He's an icon to me. His artwork is burned into my memory as early as grade 4, and I remember the specifics. I remember a classmate telling me that there was a new He-Man "bad guy" named "Horak" and that he was on the front of the newest MOTU magazine which was available in our local convenience store. Needless to say I walked on down to the store that day after school and sure enough, there was the He-Man magazine (Summer 1985) with Hordak's face on the cover, which was Earl's artwork. I remember that moment like it was yesterday for some reason.

We all love you Norm. Your acrylic work is some of the best this planet has ever seen, and I'm blown away every time I see a new piece by you that I haven't seen before. I could never understand how a person could paint that accurately.

Does anyone have any insight as to how he did it? I would have to think he was looking at reference to get all the muscle structure so perfect, but where would he get that reference in the exact poses he needed? Every painting he did, the body proportions and structures were always 100% bang on. The greatest artists all used reference. That's why they are so great. But how (and where) do they find reference for exact poses required by art directors?

Heroic Warrior
    The man is MOTU,s personal Frank Frazetta . Secret of the dragons egg golden book cover is my favorite piece of art .

His Hordak needed work though . Why did he have so much trouble with Hordak ?
    Last edited by MOLKROM; November 21, 2015 at 07:18am.

His Hordak was my favorite Hordak.
    This is my favorite Earl Norem piece from the magazine:
    horde_norem.jpg
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    horde_norem.jpg
    Agree!!!! Epic!
    Is not not licking toads

This one is my all time favorite:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    horde_norem.jpg

Ummm..... you cannot really expect me to argue with the man in charge of the forum .

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    Ummm..... you cannot really expect me to argue with the man in charge of the forum .
    Art is subjective. Notice I didn't argue you were wrong, I just said I liked his Hordak.
    You are most certainly entitled to like what art you like. You don't have to defend disliking someone's take on a character.

Court Magician
    The more and more I research Earl's art, the more I'm blown away. Most of his pieces are flawless, I can't believe/understand that he was able to paint so accurately, down to every last detail. I would really love to know his process- what did he use for reference? His character/action poses are so perfect - even the hands are all painted with such intricate, perfect detail. Did he use photos for reference? Or watch movies, and then press 'pause' on his (then, VCR) and copy from that? How else can anyone explain how he managed to draw and paint all those different poses from unlimited angles? I'm sure that old action movies (like Conan for example) would have many action poses that he could pause and reference. Other than that there's no sensible answer as to his insane talent The guy was a genuine genius, I'm sure only a few people on the planet could paint like him

He was one amazing artist, that's for certain.

I recommend listening to his interview on Roast Gooble Dinner from back in the day. He talks about his process there along with a lot of other things.

Court Magician
    that was a great interview! He said that he took photographs of models in order to get the poses correct - that makes sense now.

But photographs of models - what models? Surely he didn't hire real life models a thousand different times to come into his place every time he wanted to do an action painting.. maybe he meant that he took photographs of the MOTU action figures? Not likely though, because their limbs can bend only so many different ways. There's no way to get all those poses he painted simply out of moving the arms/legs on the figures and taking photos of them. And then there's all that clothing (creases, folds, etc) ontop of the bodies.. I think that watching old movies and then pausing the film at ceretain points would make the most sense for him to get his reference. Whatever it was, the man was amazing, I'm surprised he wasn't more world-famous for the degree of his accuracy in his work