View Poll Results: Are you happy with the FILMation figures as shown?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! They are perfect the way they are, don't touch them!

150 64.10%
  • NO! I want "classics" style details added.

49 20.94%
  • DON'T CARE, not interested in FILMation variants.

35 14.96%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FILMation Mini-Sub - Perfect as is or add details?

FILMation Mini-Sub - Perfect as is or add details?

Easy question - are you happy with the FILMation figures as shown, or do you want them to add "Classics" style ornamentation to them?

Heroic Warrior
    The figures are perfect. They are faithful to the source material that they are based upon. Plus I like the back-to-basics feel they have. As much as I like MOTUC they didn't feel like toys. Embellishments, extra little details, tiny paint apps here and there made them feel more like ornate statues. These look like toys! And I couldn't be happier. I know we live in a day and age where people and artists prefer things to be real busy in appearance and go overboard but I prefer the simpler appearances. It's why I love comic and cartoon designs before the 2000s. I hate the nu 52 dc characters updates and modern looks. Give me good old vintage streamlined designs anyday

I don't want or need extra little paint deco hits or raised lines or holes on a belt or shading or painted straps on boots or little patterns on a bodice All it does is run up cost
    Last edited by degra; July 12, 2015 at 02:30am.

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    If the cartoon didn't have it, then the figures shouldn't have it... plain and simple.

These figures look fantastic as they are. (Especially Beast Man! )
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I think this poll is demonstrating how a minority can be vocal enough to seem like a majority... but not actually be the minority. So far, it's more overwhelmingly positive than even I had expected!

I like the look of what was shown so far, the rest of the releases need to stay with the same look though. Also these figures will go no where near my Classics figures.

I voted to keep them the way they are currently planned out of a recognition there are a lot of fans who very much seem to prefer the 100% cartoon translation without Classics extra touches. This seems to me a win-win. Those of us who would like a Filmation Beast Man head on a furry Classics buck can easily buy a second figure and do a head swap. Similarly, I can buy another Skeletor and put the Filmation head on the Classics body. It doesn't matter to me if there is a slight colour miss match between F-Beast Man's head and Classics body. Once head from chest is separated by his armor, I doubt I'd ever notice.

What I do know is that if the Filmation line came with Classics details, those fans who very much want the streamlined look could not achieve it at all.

Thus it seems the current plan provides the best of both worlds.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    These figures look fantastic as they are. (Especially Beast Man! )
    It's funny that so much of the criticism seems to revolve around him. The ones that really needed it to me were Skeletor, He-man, Teela, and Evil-Lyn. I was okay with Classics Beast Man. But when I saw that version? I was like "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE??!!" He looks just fantastic and put me over the edge from a cherry picker to a subscriber for the line, when it's available.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Also these figures will go no where near my Classics figures.
    Now, now, it's OK and even healthy to play with other kids who may not look like you. Let's be inclusive here. We need to teach not just tolerance but acceptance.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Funny how "A-listers" can weight on the scale;
    and moderate your perplexity
    when it gets back to their own variants for instance.
    So far, Filmation figures had to fight hard to convince my wallet,
    i often point what i call "the least details possible syndrome" but i suppose
    i'll gladly change my mind on this very unexpected opportunity.

Heroic Warrior
    This is tough. I do like the look of the figures, and there is a certain charm to their simple steamlined style—but at the same time, I recognize that the simplified designs they are based on probably lacked more detail in the cartoon for reasons of economy and production costs, rather than purely aesthetic choice.

Would the artists/animators have chosen to add more detail, were they given the opportunity? And if so, can we extrapolate out that extra detail now, in other media forms (like toys)?

I guess that is what the “Classicizing” is all about, right?

Well I’m completely torn on the issue. I’m rarely a purist, so a bit more “extrapolated” detail would have been welcome (by me), but I completely understand the argument against this, and why it was probably safer for Mattel to go with the more “pure” Filmation route, than tinkering with it at all.

So I'd have to vote a rather reluctant Yes, for this poll. Or in other words, a No to added detail. Reluctantly.
    Last edited by Etherius Eterno; July 12, 2015 at 10:18am.

Obviously, leave them as they are!
    Filmation style means Filmation stye!

Heroic Warrior
    One thing people are overlooking is that this is technically a new line: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, not Masters of the Universe Classics (collector's choice or otherwise). Yes, they are the same scale and can be displayed together if you want, but then again so can Thundercats Classics. No one would claim those are part of the same line, would they?

If there going to do 2.0 figures in Filmation form, I'm glad they're going all the way.

Now bring on full Filmation Hordak, full Filmation Teela, Tung, Multibot, Prince Adam, and more!
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

They're just right the way they are. The cartoon wasn't detailed. That's the point here. This is a separate toy line from MOTUC, it's just done in the same scale and uses some of their parts.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

I could have voted "Don't Care" because I have no interest in buying the Filmation sub. I might cherry pick to get a Filmation Clawful (just because I like my toy display to have some conversation pieces - "this is how Filmation envisioned the character" sort of thing), but Filmation 2.0s are not for me.

So yeah, "Don't Care" was a valid option, but I voted "Yes" out of principle. This is the way it should have been done, and they're doing it. It's a separate line, and many fans love the look. I still take offense at the notion "late collectors can have their A-Listers now!" (we can't - I still want Beast Man, but Filmation Beast Man is not going to stand in . . . exactly for the reason being debated here. They're Filmation, they're distinct. It won't work for my collection), but I still consider myself an ally of the Filmation fans who have wanted precisely what they're getting here.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

I voted YES! They are perfect the way they are, don't touch them!

It's He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe ( A Filmation Animated look line) Not MOTUC's (that's the Collectors Choice line) Leave the NEW Filmation line as Mattel has shown it since it's perfect the way they are
    Last edited by mjw41; July 12, 2015 at 12:43pm.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

If you want 'Classics' details then why not hunt down the MOTUC version?

They are straight up Filmation because that's what they are based on. Not all action figure toys have to have statue style detail on them. The whole point of this line is to stay close to the source material and I have no interest in hybrid designs.

I think they look great and I'm more interested in this sub than the Collector's Choice.
    My top 10 characters: 10/Filmation Ram Man, 9/Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 8/Kothos, 7/Filmation Mer-Man, 6/Granita, 5/Filmation Leech, 4/Filmation Tung Lashor, 3/Twiggets (Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina), 2/Hunga the Harpy, 1/Dylamug.

Nothing has been mentioned as far as price on these guys goes... do you think, that because of the simplified sculpt and paint schemes, that these might be a few bucks cheaper than "Collector's Choice" MOTUC 2016 figures? Or do you think they'll be the same price as MOTUC because of the added wrist articulation and new, slightly more complex, packaging? I suppose it's wishful thinking that these Filmation figures, with less detail and less accessories, would go for $20 a pop...
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

They are perfect just the way they are. They are supposed to look like they walked right out of the television from the cartoon itself. That is the point of this NEW line. This is not Classics anymore. This is He-Man and the Masters of the Universe straight from the animated series.
    Last edited by depp76; July 12, 2015 at 02:38pm.

I voted YES. The figures are exactly what is promised: The FILMATION versions brought to life in 3D plastic.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's not like there are no other versions of these characters. These are exactly what they are supposed to be. Complaining about that is like saying "I don't like AVENGERS movie figures because they don't look like the Comic Book versions".
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; July 12, 2015 at 02:49pm.
    Cowardly, but very well liked Eternian Boot Maker

I'm still a little torn on the subject.

On the one hand, I think that they are perfect as they are right now, and that they should look like the source material they come from, even if that means less detail than a regular MOTUC figure.

BUT...only if they are variants of already existing figures, like He-Man, Skeletor etc., because...well, they are Filmation variants after all and should look like they do in the cartoon.

If they are new characters, like Evil Seed (and yes, there's the 200x version, but he's so totally different that Filmation Evil Seed is practically a different character) they should be run through the "classicizer" so they fit in with the rest of the MOTUC collection. At least to the same level as they did with Fang Man, Icer, Lizard Man, Strong Arm, and so on.

Huge PASS for me. I'll score an Evilseed on the second market, but I have no interest in cartoon versions that are, in my opinion, far less interesting than the initial versions. They do well in capturing the visual style of the show, but I maintain that the versions we have already are stronger designs, less goofy, and fit my idea of MoTU better.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Seems pretty clear that the simplified rout is what people want. Who knows, maybe that's the reason prices went down - paint aps are down by half.

"shrugs"

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Seems pretty clear that the simplified rout is what people want. Who knows, maybe that's the reason prices went down - paint aps are down by half.

"shrugs"

The thing is they are not simplified at all...they are as they appeared straight out of the FILMation cartoon series. To say they are simplified is because you are comparing them to MOTUC. This is a whole NEW separate line to represent them right as if they walked right off the screen from the 80's animation series. They are not supposed to have the detail. They are not supposed to have the shading and paint apps like MOTUC. This is NOT MOTUC...and if they cost less beacause of these things that's great! The thing is they are making them the way they should look...straight out of the cartoon from the 80's.

I think the main issue is that Filmation art was pretty crappy, not that the figures are misrepresenting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    The thing is they are not simplified at all...they are as they appeared straight out of the FILMation cartoon series. To say they are simplified is because you are comparing them to MOTUC. This is a whole NEW separate line to represent them right as if they walked right off the screen from the 80's animation series. They are not supposed to have the detail. They are not supposed to have the shading and paint apps like MOTUC. This is NOT MOTUC...and if they cost less beacause of these things that's great! The thing is they are making them the way they should look...straight out of the cartoon from the 80's.
    Yes, that's what Filmation characters were for the most part - simplified versions of the originals. Or in many cases, simplified versions of early prototypes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    If you want 'Classics' details then why not hunt down the MOTUC version?
    This!

It's a new line! It could be compatible with MOTUC,in fact They use MOTUC molds but it's a new line with another name, another packaging, new articulation,less details and garish colors .