View Poll Results: Would you be happy if SoH and/or new comic characters occupied the majority of 2016?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 19.66%
  • NO!

94 80.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be happy if SoH and/or new comic characters occupied the majority of 2016?

Would you be happy if SoH and/or new comic characters occupied the majority of 2016?

Would you be happy if Son of He-Man and/or new comic characters took the majority (6 or more) of the 2016 figure slots over characters from Filmation, 200x and Mini Comics? Based on a 12 figure subscription model...

Simple answer YES or NO
    My top 10 items I'd like for 2016: 10/Stridor, 9/Granita, 8/Filmation Tung Lashor, 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Frosta, Hordak, Mer-Man, Leech & Tri-Klops Filmation heads, 5/Filmation Teela, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Evil Lyn 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Personally, no.

I wouldn't buy this subscription. Anything new in 2016 will need a LOT of retro characters. Masque, Granita, Hunga, Crita, General Sunder. The proof is right here on the forums.

Any more than 2-3 new minicomic characters in a 12 figure sub could kill the line and seriously humiliate the brand, IMO.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

for me it would be a YES....ive got all i need minus a few NA guys...so bring on whatever..i'll prob buy it.,.
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Seriously ... it's not like Motu hadn't many medias yet to be convered to date.
    So, of course not.

NO! There are SO many characters from Filmation, POP minicomics and artwork (Bubblerina), 200x and NEW ADVENTURES that I want BEFORE Son of He-Man. Son of He-Man is the faction that I am the LEAST interested in and least excited about.
    Last edited by Kevenn; January 26, 2015 at 03:45pm.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Tough to judge what a 6 figure SoH line would even look like considering that we know very little about Mattel's plans for that era. For all we know, the figures could be amazing beyond everyone's wildest expectations. But, I know some people are dead set against even beginning to entertain the concept. I don't necessarily think that will be the case, but for me, I like what I've seen so far, and I have faith that Mattel and the Horsemen could do something cool for the (relatively unexplored) SoH era. It would be cool to flesh out this part of the MOTU canon that we haven't really seen before (along with PoG and everything else, of course).

The DC designs I've seen so far, I've liked (for the most part). Would be a good chance to do 2.0s and/or even branch out the line into comic book stores through DST or something. Here's an album I put together of new 52 designs:

http://imgur.com/a/UMw5i
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; January 26, 2015 at 04:35pm.

Absolutely not! We were promised many things when we all started traveling down the MOTUC road, but ToyGuru's fan fiction was not one of them.

You need 12 figures to fill a sub? Try these:

Hunga the Harpy
    Lord Masque
    Crita
    Kittrina
    Master Sebrian
    Dial-a-Mug
    Songster
    Lodar
    Quakke
    Illumina
    Garn
    The Melog

How about some quarterlies and beasts?

Starburst She-Ra vs Vintage Catra
    Sagitar
    Granita (with rock pieces)
    The Twiggets (Spragg, Sprocker, Spiritina)

There are dozens of characters that have rich histories and/or years of fan demand behind them that deserve to be made before any of the new stuff that appeared in the MOTUC minis should see the light of day.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I could handle three, maybe four max. But certainly not half the sub devoted to the SoH era. And for fear of the line REALLY dying post-'16, I would want two of those- if they must explore this era at all- to be Skeleteen and He-Ro II/Dare... so as to avoid Mattel putting out one but not the other should the line tank for 2017. It would be really annoying to have one lead character but not the other to go with him.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    The DC designs I've seen so far, I've liked (for the most part). Would be a good chance to do 2.0s and/or even branch out the line into comic book stores through DST or something. Here's an album I put together of new 52 designs:

http://imgur.com/a/UMw5i
    Yes! If the new comic took some focus in 2016 it would certainly breathe fresh life into the brand. Cross-selling new figures alongside the comics could get new people to join in on the fun! And if they do, and if it helps the brand survive, then I'm sure that the Hungas, Masques, etc. could be sprinkled in.

As far as SOH, I'm not against it, per se. It needs to do a LOT to sell me on it further, but it has potential.

Let's just say I wouldn't be sad if that was the majority. I'd be sad if it was 100% of the 2016 line because that would definitely make my fellow fans too upset, and I would love to see everyone get what they like.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Happy? No.

That being said, I have nothing against introducing SOH characters, I'd gladly take them, but I wouldn't say it makes me happy.

What would make me happy is a healthy mix of all aspects of MOTU, incl. Filmation, New Adventures, movie characters, toy variants, and yes, also SOH.

Hell, NO!!!
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Masks of Power Demons,
    Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'd lean closer to "I don't care" but since that isn't an option, I'll go with no...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Nope. Finish New Adventures, and we can talk...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

This is NOT about do you want some SoH/new comic characters. My point is, would you want 6+ SoH characters at the expense of others from Filmation, Mini Comics, 200x and NA?

I personally think the chance of so many SoH characters being part of a 12 month sub would kill it dead. I'm not the biggest fan of 200x, Mini Comics or NA and if given the chance I'd take Filmation characters only. However I'd be happy to support folks wants from those eras, but I just don't want anything at all from Scott Neitlich's personal fan fiction. I absolutely hate the whole Despara concept!

I'm just worried that the 2016 line will be full of what Scott wanted, instead of respecting the choices made by the fans who voted on the many polls and continue to do so. We all know how well Scott's personal choices went down with the majority of the fan base! (Spector, Nepthu etc...)

It's interesting some folks want new stuff only.... do you guys think new stuff will sell subs (should Mattel use the sub model again)? Especially since most collectors are buying the figures based on nostalgia for the previous toys and cartoons? I'm NOT being sarcastic here, this is a sincere question about how much faith you have in the fan base accepting the brand taking a new direction.
    My top 10 items I'd like for 2016: 10/Stridor, 9/Granita, 8/Filmation Tung Lashor, 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Frosta, Hordak, Mer-Man, Leech & Tri-Klops Filmation heads, 5/Filmation Teela, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Evil Lyn 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Yes I would LOVE this!

Out of the 12 figures if 6 or less were SOH I would certainly be happy. Nothing wrong with some new characters. HOWEVER I think we need new characters OUTSIDE of SOH, as well. Mattel should be looking at bringing some of the fans original creations here to life Hint! Say 2-3 fan created characters a year...2-3 SOH characters and use the remaining spots for the fan demanded / 2.0 characters...
    I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    It's interesting some folks want new stuff only.... do you guys think new stuff will sell subs (should Mattel use the sub model again)? Especially since most collectors are buying the figures based on nostalgia for the previous toys and cartoons? I'm NOT being sarcastic here, this is a sincere question about how much faith you have in the fan base accepting the brand taking a new direction.
    I think you're making a couple false assumptions which are causing you some issues. First, I don't think anyone is advocating for new stuff only. I think most reasonable people realize that with a year of MOTUC style figures, you're going to see a mix. I don't think anyone is purely wanting to see new figures. We all have characters that we like from different MOTU incarnations that we'd like to see in plastic.

Second, not everyone is buying based on nostalgia. There are many different types of fans. Sure many (like me) started buying the line BECAUSE of nostalgia, but the line has become so much more than that. There's plenty of figures I've bought where I never knew about the characters before I started collecting this line, but I love the figures. Some people are all in, others are in between. Some people only want figures from the vintage toy line, and they are out after 2015 is over (if they're not already). But, I think there's a core of fans of both MOTU and the Four Horsemen that are basically going to keep buying the MOTUC style figures until Mattel stops making it (or royally screws it up). Do I think there's enough fans to support that sort of thing indefinitely? To an extent, yes, but not necessarily in the numbers required to support a large subscription.

So, I guess you're asking why do we want "new" stuff at all? Personally, to me, it's exciting to get something new. It's exciting to expand upon the story in ways we've never seen before, to get new Masters characters (or updates of old ones). SOH gives us a chance to see things in a totally different light - He-Man in a leadership role with the responsibilities of the throne forcing him to leave the majority of the adventuring to others (although still getting to kick butt every once in a while), Dare that has the legacy of He-Man to live up to while also coming to terms with the new powers he's been granted, Skeleteen who may or may not be interested in carrying on his father's legacy of evil. There's a lot of potential for good story telling and cool characters, to see parts of Eternia we've never seen before.

And I don't think it's fair to call SOH "fan fiction," SOH has provenance, ideas were being tossed around inside Mattel for years and years. It's no more "fan fiction" than Powers of Grayskull. Who knows what kind of stuff they came up with? Now's our chance (and it may be the only one we ever get to peek into it).

Even if it is all made up "fan fiction" as you say, from what I've seen of SOH, I like it. Also, I have faith in the Four Horsemen. I have faith that they will keep brining us good figures. A good figure is a good figure, no matter what line it's in, and the Four Horsemen have proven time and again that they can take new concepts and make them fit in perfectly with the MOTU Universe.

When it comes down to it, it's about the toys. We can talk about the bios and the storyline here all we want, but I don't think most people care about that. I think what they care about is getting cool figures. I have faith that the fan base can accept the brand taking a new direction, and I have faith that the Four Horsemen can make fans accept a new direction by doing what they do best - making awesome toys.

So...

Let's say half the year are characters that come from the top 20 most wanted from the huge poll here... And half don't.

Would you honestly rather Mattel make Bandwidth than Crita? I mean this objectively. Remove your own personal taste and think about what makes more sense. How about Great Black Wizard instead of General Sunder? Or Skeleteen instead of Darius? Or Fang-Or instead of Hawke?

I could just be making these scenarios up in my head. Or maybe I'm not.

I feel like one or two new things in a main sub is fine! But the bulk of the new characters should be in an Add-On.

Give us something like this:

Masque
    Crita
    Dylamug
    Lodar
    Songster
    Hawke
    Sunder
    Darius
    Kittrina
    Fang-Or
    Tuskador
    Horde Wraith

Exclusive: Lady Slither

Quarterlies: Granita; Masks of Power Demons 2-pack; Starburst She-Ra vs Battle Armor Catra; Stridor

Holiday: Mantisaur

Add-On Sub:

Great Black Wizard
    Skeleteen
    Robowoman
    Gladiator
    Ra-Jar
    Major Header
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Snake Mountain, Prahvus, Veena, King Chuboolu, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I said yes because I kinda want them to have a fairly sizeable presence moving forward.

No I want all of NA first.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    So...

Let's say half the year are characters that come from the top 20 most wanted from the huge poll here... And half don't.

Would you honestly rather Mattel make Bandwidth than Crita? I mean this objectively. Remove your own personal taste and think about what makes more sense. How about Great Black Wizard instead of General Sunder? Or Skeleteen instead of Darius? Or Fang-Or instead of Hawke?

I could just be making these scenarios up in my head. Or maybe I'm not.

I feel like one or two new things in a main sub is fine! But the bulk of the new characters should be in an Add-On.

Give us something like this:

Masque
    Crita
    Dylamug
    Lodar
    Songster
    Hawke
    Sunder
    Darius
    Kittrina
    Fang-Or
    Tuskador
    Horde Wraith

Exclusive: Lady Slither

Quarterlies: Granita; Masks of Power Demons 2-pack; Starburst She-Ra vs Battle Armor Catra; Stridor

Holiday: Mantisaur

Add-On Sub:

Great Black Wizard
    Skeleteen
    Robowoman
    Gladiator
    Ra-Jar
    Major Header
    This, this and ALL OF THIS.

Listen to BCRDuke. When has he been wrong before?
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    SOH gives us a chance to see things in a totally different light - He-Man in a leadership role with the responsibilities of the throne forcing him to leave the majority of the adventuring to others (although still getting to kick butt every once in a while), Dare that has the legacy of He-Man to live up to while also coming to terms with the new powers he's been granted, Skeleteen who may or may not be interested in carrying on his father's legacy of evil. There's a lot of potential for good story telling and cool characters, to see parts of Eternia we've never seen before.
    The DC comic has He-Man in a leadership role without being turn into a supporting figure in his own franchise. And he is far more interesting this way because he is a young and inexperienced king in an enslaved world, that he is fighting to free from the Horde.

Do i care about He-Man as the fat, old, bearded, blonde Randor Classic version? No thanks, i prefered 10000 times the DC story (even if i don't want comic associated figures, because if something goes wrong with the toys sales, i don't want to see the comic have the same end with the 200X series, or to see good concepts from the DC comic being destroyed in the Classic canon, like TG did with Despara in the last mini comic). And SOH as a story in the Classic canon has nothing interesting or original to tell. Is just He-Man starring as Randor, Dare as Prince Adam, and Skeleteen as the 10th skull faced MOTU villain while all of them are fighting against evil Orko, evil She-Ra and a zombie Skeletor. And the struggle with the new power has already been done in the 200X series, and it was much more interesting, because the teenaged Prince Adam had no father to help him. Personally if i was forced to choose i would prefer the more drammatic and emotional story of the first SOH pitch, where He-Man and Teela had to sent their son away from Eternia, for saving his life, at least it could give the chance to make Dare his own character and have an independent storyline, away from Eternia, while He-Man's story would continue without having him turned to a retired and second-tier character.

As for the SOH toys, from what we have seen so far (King He-Man, UNO, Laser-lot, Spector), i can't say that they are looking interesting or exciting at least to me. For me the better solution it would be if Mattel could make a SOH mini sub,with an alternative future backstory (ala Rachel Gray from DoFP) for the fans that they want them, and everyone would be satisfied. And new figures and new possibilities can be brought to the current storyline, without turning He-Man and She-Ra in to villains or secondary marginalized characters. It's not necessary to bring SOH, for exploring further Eternia or having new characters. Didn't Extendar and Rio Blast have being integrated in the later MOTU storyline? They didn't need any SOH for this.

So my answer is no in both questions but for different reasons. And we don't forget that there are a lot of figures that the vast majority of the fans want, among Filmation, mini comics, NA and 200X characters, that they are a priority, before the SOH or the current comic books, so it would be better if Mattel consider this seriously, especially if 2017 is going to be the year of the new MOTU movie, for this reason 2016 would probably be the last chance for the fans to have these figures in the MOTUC line, before this ends.
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 27, 2015 at 09:23am.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Simple answer: INFURIATED ABSOLUTE NO!!! *

(*) For the reasons others have already stated above.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

No, I wouldn't want the majority of figures in 2016 to be from the SoH concept.

Though I'd love to see three or four of them mixed into 2016.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Short answer: no

As much as I enjoy new characters being made, there are still older, more fan demanded characters yet to be given the Classics treatment. There are lots of them to get through first before we even start thinking of Son of He-Man characters:

Dylamug, Hunga, Granita, Vultak, Trollans, Twiggets, Tataran, Critta, Hoove, Tuskador, Sagitar, Negator, Scurvy, Cothos, etc. I would hate to have to wait another 30 years to get Dylamug for the sake of shoe-horning in a few Son Of He-Man characters that have only shared the limelight in less time it usually takes for Scott Neitlich to rub a few fans the wrong way.

I think if Mattel go the Son Of He-Man rout it will be the nail in the coffin for Classics or even a re-branded line IMHO.