Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-new adventures of He-man?

New-new adventures of He-man?

Just a quick(ish) warm up sketch for the day. I was aiming for a more urban/ superhero version of He-man, inspired a little by those concepts for the Earth set Thundercats cartoon.
    It kind of came out more like the new adventures He-man than I was expecting, maybe this is what he might have looked like if that series was conceived now.
    I think i'm going to give it another go. Might try a few of the other characters as well.

The sword is green by the way because it's supposed to have been hewn from the same rocks Castle Grayskull was built from.... maybe that's a little stupid.

Last edited by Seraphyn; January 21, 2009 at 06:24am.

that looks pretty cool man i like that outfit u got him in too
    Eternian Beastmaster

Pretty cool man! Im really enjoying your art!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by riccochete View Post
    It has a Rob Liefeld style to it. Bravo!
    Dont insult the man!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Hmm, pretty cool. Has a kind of "Marvel Boy" style to him, especially the costume he started wearing a few months ago, which has pants instead of shorts. ( Have you read Grant Morrisons mini btw? It's really good.)

http://jjinbeat.com/Cap/StarSpangled...hVarr-Gear.jpg

Small problem tho, to me he feels a little bit too much like a slightly powered up Adam, not quite like something He-man himself would wear.

Riccochete: No offense, but a Rob Liefeld style isn't anything that I think an artist should try and emulate.

I know what you mean, but the idea was to set it on a present day or slightly future Earth. I was kind of taking the He-ro approach in that Adam would have been a much younger boy, no older than 14 anyway and he finds the medallion (iron cross) which turns him into He-man. There's no reason he couldn't be more physically imposing I guess, I just figure the strength comes from the mystical nature of the transformation as opposed to pure muscle.

No bad idea.
    I like the "man".
    Alles Orko oder was? - ...'cause Trollans are the best! - She-Raver by conviction...

Dude, that's cool! Welcome (a little late) to the boards - I like your style!

Movie mayhem!
    So so so cool!

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    WOW Amazing, I can't love it more than i do, please keep more redesigns coming. I absolutely adore and am blown away by your style and aesthetic. Thank you so much for sharing this conceptual point of view on the boards here.

Anxiously anticipating your next character,

Toby
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Thanks Toby, that's very kind of you.

That is simply awesome. I love the redesign it is very superhero-ish

Now I would like to see your reimagine Skeletor in a similar vein...please
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

i'm on it

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphyn View Post
    i'm on it
    Good lad As long as you don't give him bugged out eyes
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

To the OP and everyone else...I dont draw very often these days and I have never been as good as you people and never will be...
    BUT I have noticed since I was a young kid that when people draw they always have stray lines all over the place. I dont understand why all the "practice" lines...Dont know the proper terms for it..sorry...

Is this the reason I dont draw as well as others after all these years? Can someone fill me in please

I don't think everyone does, I've seen professionals draw at conventions that have much more surety over their lines and can bust out something much better with little if any sketch lines at all. For me, unless i'm using reference, my character drawing is pretty rough and it takes a lot of messing around to get something that looks right to my eye. I do that whole thing with basically drawing a stick figure and then just building shapes around it. I often use digital means to fix things as well, like in this one he-mans left arm was far too long so i fixed it in photoshop.

He-Man is fashionable. Well done Seraphyn.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphyn View Post
    I don't think everyone does, I've seen professionals draw at conventions that have much more surety over their lines and can bust out something much better with little if any sketch lines at all. For me, unless i'm using reference, my character drawing is pretty rough and it takes a lot of messing around to get something that looks right to my eye. I do that whole thing with basically drawing a stick figure and then just building shapes around it. I often use digital means to fix things as well, like in this one he-mans left arm was far too long so i fixed it in photoshop.
    Its something that has intreged "spelling" me since I was a boy. I wish I had learned more when I was younger as I would probably be so much better now as an adult. Like I stated on my first post, I dont really draw these days. BUT when I do it looks pretty much the same as when I was a kid.

I draw static figures with little to no life...stinks..I love art so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    Its something that has intreged "spelling" me since I was a boy. I wish I had learned more when I was younger as I would probably be so much better now as an adult. Like I stated on my first post, I dont really draw these days. BUT when I do it looks pretty much the same as when I was a kid.

I draw static figures with little to no life...stinks..I love art so much.
    do you mean intrigued ?

How I see it, as this is basically the way I draw on the odd times I put pen to paper (I usually just use a mouse, computer screen and copy of Photoshop CS to do my art), it is like sculpting, the kind where you add layers of clay onto a basic skeletal scructure until you get the rough shape and then carve away for the fine details...basically it is the same principle.

I (you) start with a basic stick figure in the rough pose you want and then just start scribbling lines in the rough shape of the person you are trying to create. Funny thing is to other people it may look like a scribbly mess (tho that depends on how many lines you use I guess) but I find you can just "see" the correct lines (as it is your pic) and when it comes to cleaning up those are the ones that you enhance for the finished piece.

Then when you tidy up you sometimes accidentally leave a few of these practice / scribble lines

Just a quick one.

Think he came out looking too much like the joker. Maybe if i give him boots...

looks good but I have to admit I am not to fond of the trousers / waistcoat combo as it does make him a bit Jokerish.

Mainly my problem lies with the trousers, not sure what I would do to make it better but I am sure you will think of something

I really enjoy the long hooded vest and the scarf - I'm not sure about waistcoat/pants though. I think you're right, they do come across somewhat Jokerish.

I absolutely love the magic-effect on his hand though. It's great!

Maybe something closer in "feel" to your He-Man? By that I mean, more "super-hero" and less "street-clothes."

Oh I forgot to add that I love the scarf and do not wish to see it go...even tho it does make him look like an overgrown evil Trollan

Wow, awesome! It's refreshing to see someone go out on a limb and try some new stuff. I love He-Man, but I'm not as fond of how wide his sword gets at the end. Personal sword preference, really (though the idea that the sword is made from the stone of castle greyskull is really cool!)

Skeletor is very interesting, but he doesn't seem to match up with the style He-Man is sporting. I'm not saying that they should be wearing similar costumes, but I didn't expect a suit style after seeing He-Man. Skeletor looks a little too...fashionable. I figure he should look more imposing, but still sticking with the suit idea and keeping that awesome cloak (I love the idea of covering his face like that. It works with the different world setting you've got going...he would probably need to hide his face out in the open). Also, he really looks like he needs a sword hanging at his side!

Anyway, you're artwork is great I can't wait to see where you're going to go with this style!
    Last edited by Alexx; January 23, 2009 at 02:17pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Hmmm I always thought Skeletor would make a good gang leader with a hoodie and skull hockey mask, almost pimp like.

That is a tad Joker-ish.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]