Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Toy Fair 2013 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Ha I was thinking this as well.

I think it is just snap judgements and inet ranting. After all questions have been answered I am sure people will be calmed down a bit.

It's more or less being used to show scale and the difference between the two. How in one photo WITH Battle Cat it depicts an ample amount of space, while in the other with JUST He-Man alone he barely seems to make it even through the door on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian_Canadian View Post
    Metroplex is mass-produced for retail, is it not? If so that's why.

Mass produced retail items can sell for a lot less than a niche market collector item sold on one website.
    Right--but--should there be SOOO much of a difference? I mean, even if you account for CG being a niche item, $150-200 seems more reasonable in retrospect Don't get me wrong I LOVE CG, but I feel like we may be getting a little overcharged for it (btw--I'm not one of those "MOTUC figures are too expensive!" people usually--I think the base figure prices are about right--but CG?---not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by elkkthunder View Post
    Great pictures! Thank you.

I just saw the FILMATION sub poster and whoever chose the pictures wasn´t really aware of the purpose. Most of them show FILMATION only characters but there are pictures of Angela, Flutterina, Mermista, Peekablue, Clawdeen or Glimmer which is weird enough but what´s even more strange are the pictures of already released MOTUC characters like Adam, Adora, Fisto, Castaspella or Fang Man.

Clawful is there as well but since some consider his FILMATION look variant worthy, i didn´t count him, although Mattel stated this FILMATION sub will only include FILMATION originals and no variants.

I think those characters shouldn´t be on this particular poster but hey, that´s just picky me
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    Everything looks AMAZING!!!

CG is a bit small, but whatever, it totally kicks all kind of behind!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Which equates to a pretty big difference that I don't think was taken in to account unfortunately and correctly translated from card board to actual sculpt.

To those that are saying that we're basically getting the same thing and getting on the people that are bringing these issues up is not fair.

These are ALL Mattel's photos and what THEY promoted. One clearly shows a bigger doorway then the other plain and simple regardless of mock-up or not.

Do things change? Of course, but again it's what "they" promoted and showed and it doesn't appear at least to be what materialized, thus people are well within their right to discuss it.

The photos show all you need to know.

Attachment 82424[

Attachment 82423
    Those pics made me sad.

Mass produced retail items can sell for a lot less than a niche market collector item sold on one website.
    It is produced for retail, but how many is each store actually going to receive? It's not like they are going to get a case of 12, maybe a case of 2 and not every store will carry it. I know around here the smaller stores don't get the bigger TF items just the regular size ones. I'm not disappointed in CG, I'm just getting ****** that Mattel thinks they can mark everything up more then the norm just because we're collectors. Come on they want us to believe that a regular figure with usually 50% reuse costs $25-
    $27 but a 100% new tool with no reuse Ram Man costs only $30.

J

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    The ONE thing that bothers me--Hasbro revealed the new Metroplex figure yesterday that is AMAZING--24 inches tall,etc and is going to retail for around $125. So, if Metroplex is $125 why is CG like double
    Are you kidding me? That Metroplex Transformer may be large, but it has nowhere near the complexity and depth of the Castle Grayskull playset. Not to mention the difference in retail prices and online exclusive prices. Just look at the standard MOTUC figures which are $25+ and would probably run approximately $15 if they were a full-blown retail line.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    In regards to the drawbridge, to make people happy all they really need to do is create a recess in the base under the drawbridge and make the bridge/door a tad bit taller so that when it opens it drops down and ends up lower than it is now.

As you can see in the pic up above Castle Greyskullman is standing next to the closed door and he would easily fit through - but when open you loose a 1/2 inch or so.

Another work around would be to make the drawbridge taper down in thickness on the opposite side so that when open it slopes downward as the figure reaches the door. Did that make sense?
    Both are great ideas!

Still, that Metroplex seems to be much a more complex toy with electronics and transformation. I love CG, but I have mixed emotions in the relation of price and final product, specially on shipping and customs.

I honestly thought that there was going to be a hangar or a sort of garage for Wind Raider.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    From TNI: We will have a full report soon, but Mattel let us know that anyone who is truely not happy with the Grayskull playset can cancel their pre-order if they wish. Folks will have to either August or September to cancel.
    I will be cancelling mine as well. I dont see the value in it. Just seems too much to pay. I still want the robot but will take my chances on ebay and hope someone sells it.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Come on they want us to believe that a regular figure with usually 50% reuse costs $25-
    $27 but a 100% new tool with no reuse Ram Man costs only $30.
    J
    You obviously haven't listened to what Scott has said about tooling costs. Mattel has to spread them out over the course of the entire year. If Ram Man was the only figure being produced, there's no way he would only cost $30. They have to take advantage of lower tooling costs for figures such as Jitsu, Clamp Champ, and the Fighting Foe Men to even out the high tooling costs for Ram Man. That's how they can get him to be priced at $30.

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    There better not be any problem with the shipping combining for the Filmation sub with the main sub. I know the first figure probably won't combine, but that should be the only one. If I end up paying doubling shipping each month for the second half of the year, I won't be very happy.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    I'm very happy they have announced that we can cancel our pre-orders as I will be canceling mine A.S.A.P.! That is not a $250-$300 castle, when I can buy HUGE TMNT playset for $99.99!
    To be fair, the TMNT is largely cardboard and flimsy thin and easily disposable plastic. Grayskull looks a lot more sold than that.

That said...

* Yes, the door is too small - He-man needs to be able to stand in it. She-ra, too (isn't she a tad taller?).

* I don't get it - some say the dungeon isn't included, some say the grate isn't - why the heck are they showing things that aren't included? Are they at least going to be released? Like the Weapons Rack? I'm actually OK with that, but I want them with a definite time frame and a reasonable price. Of course I'd rather they be included at this high price point, but I will be most upset if they are not made available at all.

* I know it won't be as good, but the paint job better be dang close. I don't care if Scott has to fly to China and inspect every one as it comes off the finish line. I cannot paint and customize, I'm terrible - I want it to be done, and quality so it doesn't chip off taking it tuft of the box.

Besides Grayskull, super psyched about Filmation sub - though I hope some more familiar characters round out the sub. It would be a dream to get dual subs next year - just the 12 figs, amazing. I hope it's as successful as I think it will be.

Casta looks fantastic - her hair is perfect. Mantanna is also awesome - I'm glad people are pleased. I think he's a great combo of influences, and personally when I see him he looks like Mantenna, that's all I care about. I'll have to get two so I can display both heads.

Also pleasantly surprised with the new tier stands - but my god, PLEASE include two pegs for each figure slot!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    I'm very happy they have announced that we can cancel our pre-orders as I will be canceling mine A.S.A.P.! That is not a $250-$300 castle, when I can buy HUGE TMNT playset for $99.99! .
    I am still amazed that fans don't grasp the difference between MattyCollector and Retail.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    I am still amazed that fans don't grasp the difference between MattyCollector and Retail.
    Yeah, seriously. The Sewer playset would probably be $300 if they were only being produced in the same small quantity as the castle.

On a separate note, based on the images shown of TOD Sorceress sitting on the thrown... is it actually possibly to remove the wings from either Sorceress figure without breaking them?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    From TNI: We will have a full report soon, but Mattel let us know that anyone who is truely not happy with the Grayskull playset can cancel their pre-order if they wish. Folks will have to either August or September to cancel.
    WOW--I may be second guessing the price on CG too, but NO way would I cancel Imagine how much this thing could be on Ebay later My consolation of feeling a little price gouged on CG is maybe all the extra money that is made on this could go to pay for the tooling on certain figures --cough****Extendar****cough Honestly, I would pay $100 for an Extendar figure--I want him THAT bad

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Exactly. Walmart alone has over 4,000 stores in just the U.S. If they ordered 2 of something for each store (ie - that gigantic Metroplex Transformer) that would be 8,000 units and that doesn't include any international markets or other national retail chains such as Target and Toys R Us. I doubt Mattel is even making 8,000 Castle Grasykulls.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    You guys are comparing huge pieces of mass market retail product with disposable junk pieces and carboard pieces.

WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY CARDBOARD PIECES HERE!! Everything is sculpted. We are getting large bells and whistles with this castle. You guys are also not getting your getting pieces of art here. The 4H worked night and day to sculpt CG for you guys. You guys know who sculpted Metroplex and the Turtle's Lair? It could have been nameless interns for all you know.

Get it over the size. It is a great size and we are getting tons of things with this castle. I completely understand why TG sometimes lashes out at you guys sometimes.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior
    I´m dissapointed by Castle Grayskull... Smaller than the b-sheet, no brick details on the inner walls, no dungeon... not worth the price, I won`t spend my money on this playset...

Updated the first post with some info, links and videos for easy of browsing.

I really can not believe we are getting this amazing, fully sculpted (no cardboard!) and fully painted castle full of accessories and people are arguing over an inch or two and saying it's not worth the money. Actually, I CAN believe it, it just boggles my mind.

This is Grayskull! This is the dream! People were paying $400 for just the front of it!

I think some people just let expectations get the best of them. I honestly think people who cancel their pre-orders will be kicking themselves once everyone gets their Castles and is loving them. But more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    For the orb holder, I was just stating how they had planned a room for the orb holder from TOD Sorceress to sit in....but ultimately they couldn't find a spot large enough for it. I guess when I said smaller, I used the wrong word. With all the other added features, there wasn't enough room. I'm fine with it, but I'm disappointed in the doorway.
    They never, ever, EVER said the Sorceress orb holder would go into Grayskull. From very early on we were told it'd be a special orb holder in the very top of Grayskull's head. You must have misinterpreted it.

Do you think we'll eventually get a video of the panel so we can see the reveals that way like we did with Mattypalooza, etc?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I am very pleased with the look of Castle Grayskull. I really hope this leads to a Filmation Snake Mountain down the road.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    I think all of the reveals are fantastic. Castle Grayskull is EPIC!! I cannot wait to get mine Heck with all the naysayers. I love this line!! Keep 'em coming!!!
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Just got home, so I haven't looked up any information to go with the pics, but everything looks fantastic so far! NA He-Man just has me GEEKED. He's perfect (though it looks like his hand may have a slight problem holding the sword, but we'll see). I can't believe that we're getting the WHOLE deal with him! Last thing I need to find out is if they added the sword slot on the back of the armor like the toy.

King He-Man looks awesome as well, though it sucks that his sword is in his hand in the package. With a painted handle like that, it's adding to the chance that the paint will scrape off in his hand when I get 'em out of the package. Also, holding the weapon in-package stretches his hand out. Dunno why they keep doing that with some figures. Ah well, still an awesome figure all around!

Anyway, nice to see some production versions of some figures. Snake Face has come along nicely and his armor doesn't look any bigger than King Hsss'. Octavia is obviously not gona have bendy tenticles, but at least they're in a position for action, so that's cool. Castaspella has a clear shield to match her magic - AWESOME! She rounded out nicely with those items; perfect!

Next, the Filmation figures are lookin' good. Cool that Batros got a Spikor mace; I always thought that would be cool reused elsewhere. They reused items in the vintage line often, so it makes sense to get a generic item in different colors. Helps him fit in like he were in the vintage line (though honestly he looks like he fits in on looks alone). Shokoti is looking much better up close! Still a little plain, but I can see enough little details in the clothes to make me happy. Too bad she doesn't get a weapon of some sort, but I'm sure she doesn't need one.

Finally of course: Grayskull! Liking what I see. LOVE the spacesuit/robot thing! Too bad he doesn't move, but I honestly didn't expect him too. This is more than enough! Very cool to see him outside of a cardboard cutout. The whole setup has a nice amount of various items...at least two weapons that I can see; hopefully a few more. I'm gona have a heck of a time finding a nice spot for it, but I WILL. Oh yes.

Now, on to see what information has been written up about all the new stuff.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.