Thread: Kowl's...errr...identity...

Kowl's...errr...identity...

I remember there was once a thread along these lines and it got deleted/closed. I'm not looking to stir the pot here and I certainly don't want people to get into any x-rated territory, but I wanted to see what people thought about Kowl....

....having a girlfriend.

This is a series where there's a noticeable disconnect between character designs and what we're supposed to believe about the characters (Bow, for example, being a Ladies Man). With Kowl, I just find it hard to imagine him as having a sex drive, you know, much less a "hetero" one. He always struck me as one of those older gents who gave up on love a long, long time ago, or was never interested in females to begin with.

I bring this up because I recently watched Loo-Kee's Sweetie and couldn't shake the feeling that it was rather odd for a character with so little development to suddenly have a lipstick-wearing female love interest. Who honestly cared about Loo-Kee's sexuality?!? It seemed so irrelevant.

And that got me thinking about Kowl and his girlfriend in that one episode, and how strange it felt to watch that show for the first time. Kowl is a character with much, much more development than Loo-Kee, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for the writers to explore a love interest. But something about actually seeing Kowl with a love interest that was female seemed false or forced. Obviously, they weren't going to give him a male love interest, of course...

...but I guess it leaves me thinking this was a situation where they tried to color the character as "straight" when he really never was. Others here at the Org have gone into detail about "coded" characters in Hollywood...does that apply to Kowl?

Were any of the rest of you felt confused when characters like Kowl or Loo-Kee were suddenly given orientations?

Discuss (and kindly don't ban me for bringing all this up - I think it's a fair enough question/topic).

It's a kid show and Kowl is a mutant owl thingy.....no confusion and don't think it matters that much. I think people tend to read too much into innocent things honestly.

I'm confused by this thread more than I am Kowls orientation lol.

Heroic Warrior
    I've never really picked up on any subtext that Kowl was homosexual. I guess he sometimes acted like a "bitter old queen", but that was pretty rare and was tangental to his predominantly grumpy old man personality.

I didn't find it odd that he expressed interested in the female of his species. I think Kowl actually stated that he didn't think there were any of his kind left, so that may be why he appeared asexual - he didn't think there was anyone left for him to have relations with.

And Loo-Kee always struck me as too childlike to have developed any interest in the opposite sex (or the same sex if that was his orientation, to the extent that a cartoon can have an orientation). I haven't seen the episode with his girlfriend in a while, so I don't recall how it was dealt with.
    Last edited by Haephestus; February 16, 2013 at 08:06pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The only characters that I ever thought were gay were Netossa and Spinnerella. The way it was presented, it seemed pretty clear that they were more than just "best friends". Other than those two, every other character was presented as straight.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

I read gay characters in Motu and Pop were more then one:
    - Boh
    - Kowl
    - Netossa
    - Rio Blast
    - Adam
    - Sy-Klone

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I don't even recall Kowl's "g/f", lol. The only other Kowl-like creature I can think of is Kowl's "evil cousin".

But I too saw him as more of the "jaded great uncle" type with no desire or use for females.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Ha! That's such a great Kowl-centric avatar, MMM!

The only characters that I ever thought were gay were Netossa and Spinnerella. The way it was presented, it seemed pretty clear that they were more than just "best friends". Other than those two, every other character was presented as straight.
    See, it's funny you bring that up because whenever I read that here at the .Org, I honestly have no idea what you folks are talking about I *never* got the vibe that they were a couple in any way. But then, I also couldn't make sense of the notion that they came to Etheria for a vacation and knew nothing about the Horde. Really??

And Loo-Kee always struck me as too childlike to have developed any interest in the opposite sex (or the same sex if that was his orientation, to the extent that a cartoon can have an orientation). I haven't seen the episode with his girlfriend in a while, so I don't recall how it was dealt with.
    I almost works better with Loo-Kee in that we start the episode by seeing that there is an entire race of Con-Ceals being trapped by Catra and the Horde, and from there, we meet Loss-E (???). So by first introducing the concept of a race with various individuals of different ages and genders, it kind of softens the blow, for when we see him with his girlfriend.

But honestly, yeah - Loo-Kee and Orko just struck me as too child-like to be into flirting. And the way their girlfriends were both overly done-up and feminized didn't help make it feel natural.

I happened across the episode today where Kowl meets his GF, and yes, he does state that he thought he was alone on Etheria. Still...it felt weird to see him flirting.

I'm confused by this thread more than I am Kowls orientation lol.
    LOL!

I've never really picked up on any subtext that Kowl was homosexual. I guess he sometimes acted like a "bitter old queen", but that was pretty rare and was tangental predominantly grumpy old man personality.
    Well said!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Ha! That's such a great Kowl-centric avatar, MMM!
    Thanks, lol...I can't take credit for the animation for my POP gifs, but I did do the screen grabs.

See, it's funny you bring that up because whenever I read that here at the .Org, I honestly have no idea what you folks are talking about I *never* got the vibe that they were a couple in any way.
    I never did either.

But then, I also couldn't make sense of the notion that they came to Etheria for a vacation and knew nothing about the Horde. Really??
    Yeah, I guess the brochure for Etheria conveniently left out the whole planet-wide Horde tyranny thing. lol

It almost works better with Loo-Kee in that we start the episode by seeing that there is an entire race of Con-Ceals being trapped by Catra and the Horde
    Wait, wait...are you telling me they are actually called "Con-Ceals"? Is this stated or did you see it written somewhere? (I don't remember that name)
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

It's stated in the episode, but I'd have to pop the disc into the player to see if whoever wrote up the summaries had a different spelling (who DID write up those summaries on the BCI sets? I know it's someone here ).

So yes: Loo-Kee is a Con-Ceal whose girlfriend is Loss-E. His father is Papi (Pap-E?) No word on other relatives or exes though

They were being chased by Catra's Terror Terriers.

Big episode for naming races.

Yeah, I guess the brochure for Etheria conveniently left out the whole planet-wide Horde tyranny thing. lol
    LOL!