Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does it take so long for the shipped figures to arrive?

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar

Why does it take so long for the shipped figures to arrive?

Hey guys!

Thought I'd ask a few questions and get your guys' takes about shipping regarding Mattycollector and why it takes so freaking long to get the figures. I've ordered many things from Matty and I LOVE the Classics line, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind why it takes so long? How about the reason why it takes almost a week to get out of California? And the shipments start out UPS, but then get taken over by USPS?!?! Whaaaaaa? What's that all about?

I know that Scott has asked us to respond about the whole "shipments jumping around" thing... and that's confusing yes, but I'm asking and talking about the wait... tick, tock... tick, tock...

Is it Mattel? Is it Digital River? Is it UPS? USPS?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else is frustrated and confused with the whole process like I am. I mean even Parcel Post puts Matty's shipping time to shame!! I can order anything on any other site and get it within a reasonable amount of time but man... just seems like waaaaayyy too long to wait for something.

Thanks in advance for your responses, LONG LIVE MOTUC! LONG LIVE THE 4H!
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

All i know is that delivery times are unpredictable. I am in Australia and I just got Jitsu and Ram Man one week after purchase however i am yet to receive Netossa. Try not to stress about it.

Try waiting six weeks for figure delivery....while your figures circle the globe...one week would be fantastic!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    You'll have more success asking water not to be wet than ever getting a satisfactory answer to your query, TJRules.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    I've ordered many things from Matty and I LOVE the Classics line, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind why it takes so long?
    Logistics.

How about the reason why it takes almost a week to get out of California?
    That would be the "handling" portion of the "shipping and handling" costs.

And the shipments start out UPS, but then get taken over by USPS?!?! Whaaaaaa? What's that all about?
    Even I, the evil genius that I am, have no answer for this one. Hmmmm, maybe...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

With Newgistics, it was taking 5 business days for my sub to arrive. I just changed to UPS and Ram Man and Jitsu arrived in 3 bus days.

I just received my subscription Ram Man & Jitsu today and I live in Massachusetts. Sometimes they take longer to arrive. This last one didn't take long... Sometimes around the holidays it takes almost a month to arrive.

Below is Rammy's and Jitsu's journey:

2/22/2013 10:42 AM Delivered MAYNARD,MA 01754 -HURRAY!!!

2/22/2013 08:54 AM Out for Delivery MAYNARD,MA 01754

2/22/2013 08:17 AM Arrival at USPS MAYNARD,MA 01754

2/20/2013 09:04 PM Accepted by USPS SPRINGFIELD,MA 01152

2/20/2013 05:30 PM Transferring to USPS SPRINGFIELD,MA 011529303

2/20/2013 12:54 PM In transit SOUTHINGTON,CT

2/19/2013 09:14 PM In transit CARTERET,NJ

2/19/2013 03:17 PM In transit Elizabeth,NJ 07206

2/19/2013 02:42 PM Electronic Shipping Sent to USPS

2/19/2013 02:42 PM In transit Elizabeth,NJ 07206

2/19/2013 04:39 AM In transit Elizabeth,NJ 07206

2/18/2013 03:32 PM In transit Fishers,IN 46037

2/18/2013 04:40 AM In transit Fishers,IN 46037

2/15/2013 06:30 PM In transit Sparks,NV 89441

2/15/2013 02:16 PM Arrived at Shipping Facility Sparks,NV 89441

2/15/2013 01:25 AM Electronic Shipping Info Received Ontario,CA 91761
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; February 22, 2013 at 05:53pm. Reason: Added info...

Nothing but the UPS option starts off as UPS, USPS starts it's week long journey (for me) with Cornerstone / Newgistics. UPS always delivers to my door when / if I select them. But neither Ground option gets to me in less than 6 to 7 days, so for the price I stick with USPS / Cornerstone.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Basically it works like this:

DIGITAL RIVER takes the order.

A 3rd Party Warehousing/Packing company puts them in boxes and gives them to the shipper.

3rd Party shipper drives them to certain locations across the country.

Finally they are turned over to the USPS for home delivery.

You are correct, we pay far too much for such slow shipping. It seems to be better now than what it was, but it's still taking far too long.

I don't mind paying more for good service, and I don't mind slow service if it's cheap. But when it's expensive and it's slow, that's the rub.

It will take 10 to 12 days to get to me in Pennsylvania.
    Placed an order on the 15th I wont see it till around 26 - 28 .

8 weeks to get to Canada lol. Y'know, we're not that far from the states...

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post

A 3rd Party Warehousing/Packing company puts them in boxes and gives them to the shipper.

You are correct, we pay far too much for such slow shipping. It seems to be better now than what it was, but it's still taking far too long.

I don't mind paying more for good service, and I don't mind slow service if it's cheap. But when it's expensive and it's slow, that's the rub.
    It is too slow for the price, anything else I order from any where online that ships 7-10 days USPS, I always get it around the 5th day, and it's always less than DR. I just bought parts for my car online, I paid $6 for FedEx shipping, 7 days, and I got it in 4.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzaku View Post
    8 weeks to get to Canada lol. Y'know, we're not that far from the states...
    This is the reason I stopped buying from Matty Collector. Two months is a little much for these shipping prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowerPowerFrosta View Post
    This is the reason I stopped buying from Matty Collector. Two months is a little much for these shipping prices.
    They go to Sweden, remember? ....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

My figures just like to stop in Sparks, NV to party for a couple days...that's all.

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    They go to Sweden, remember? ....
    Oh I remember. They didn't even bring me any souvenirs of their adventures.

This is my problem, and as I have said in other places I know part of the shipping and handling money is going to Digital River. The people doing the packaging got to get paid some how.

I am also curious about Newgistics and their pricing etc. I had never heard of them till I started using Matty. I would also be curious why they are used over just straight USPS.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

International shipping to Australia has improved.

Until this year, there was International Post, which started from $10, and took anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months, or UPS, which started from $50 (a blowout for 1 figure, but well worth it for about 5 or more) and took around a week to arrive.

This year, while International Post has gone up, they have replaced UPS with DHL, which starts at $30 and takes only about 3 days to arrive.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    This is my problem, and as I have said in other places I know part of the shipping and handling money is going to Digital River. The people doing the packaging got to get paid some how.

I am also curious about Newgistics and their pricing etc. I had never heard of them till I started using Matty. I would also be curious why they are used over just straight USPS.
    And there is another company in between - the one that runs the warehouse and packages the stuff. I can't recall the name off-hand, I know I posted it awhile back - basically, they accidentally left their internal "packing slip" in my box, and it had the name of that warehouse company in it.

I think that's the problem - too many hands in the cookie jar between us and the figures.

^ this.

For the record, I live in VA and it usually takes about 2 weeks for me to get stuff (it goes past me to North Carolina for the transfer to USPS and then doubles back). Sometimes it's less, but I'd say 1+1/2 to 2 weeks is the average. For the price, the speed in unacceptable, and I do think it has to do with so many different groups having to handle the stuff.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

And there is another company in between - the one that runs the warehouse and packages the stuff. I can't recall the name off-hand, I know I posted it awhile back - basically, they accidentally left their internal "packing slip" in my box, and it had the name of that warehouse company in it.

I think that's the problem - too many hands in the cookie jar between us and the figures.
    Hmm, not that it matters because it still BS, but that would explain them actually charging a legitimate Handling charge when not many other companies do it. Seriously too many hands involved, otherwise shipping could be less than $10 USPS. Gotta love outsourcing, when the outsourced also outsources....

What good is DR if all they do is computer end orders and inventory, and still get the only thing they do wrong?
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    The $10 or so we pay for shipping is ridiculous. Part of the reason I won't renew my sub next year and won't pick up a filmation sub. I'd rather order from BBTS and pay the inflated rate for the figs than deal with so many unwanted figs.

USPS could easily cut a deal with Mattel and ship them priority mail for less than the $10 we pay now. Mattel's gotta have the balls and business sense to inquire with USPS salespeople.

It's business decisions like this, not the figure prices that are killing the line for me. And then Toyguru has the gall to threaten us with the line not moving forward with not enough subscription. It's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Hmm, not that it matters because it still BS, but that would explain them actually charging a legitimate Handling charge when not many other companies do it. Seriously too many hands involved, otherwise shipping could be less than $10 USPS. Gotta love outsourcing, when the outsourced also outsources....

What good is DR if all they do is computer end orders and inventory, and still get the only thing they do wrong?
    I figure digital river wasn't making anything off the figures themselves, and that was how they were making their money. The fact that this makes it sound like they are just handling the orders, and there is another company that hands the package over to newgistics who then hand it over to USPS is blows my mind.

I still don't understand why they didn't go with Diamond Select, or why mattel has their own website that as best I can tell is run by someone else. Why was the Matty store front handled this way.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

After 9 days my Ram Man and Jitsu finally made it to Atlanta! Should have them around St. Patricks Day, can't wait. I love over paying for the slowest shipping available. Thanks Matty!

There has to be some sort of corporate nepotism going on between Mattel/Digital River/Newgisitcs. There's no way that any company with a choice would pick these clowns to handle their shipping. I'm more than willing to bet that the owner of Digital River is buddies with some exec at Mattel, and they've forced the MOTUC line to use Digital River.

It seems like they make the figures in China, ship them to Canada, and then load all the figures onto one slow moving truck that makes its way across the country.