Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Mystery item shown at TF 2013

Standor is Spector's long lost father...

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Le'ts just suppose it's for a figurine called "Standor" based on Stan Lee... The idea is absolutely ridiculous, uncalled for, and extremely bad. And the name sounds stupid, IMO. It is NOT related to the MOTU mythos in any way.

The ONLY things that could potentially save such a figure would be an AWESOME, really awesome look, AND a perfect execution (no flaws). Other than that, this figure would join Spector, Cy-Chop, Mo-Larr and Vykron in the cesspool of MOTU's history.
    I do not intend to purchase this figure if it is made... but I see it for what it is - a fun, silly figure. It isn't going to be part of the official line or anything. It is just another Molar, but hopefully one that gets a lot more interest because a lot of people love Stan Lee. I see no negatives in trying to buddy up with Marvel like this... I am sure the final product will be dumb but it is more exposure for the line and doesn't take away tooling budget from the rest of the figures.

Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one... and one persons "cesspool" figure is another persons favourite. Cy-Chop for example is one of my favourites in the line.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Court Magician
    I'm still really hoping this helm is an extra accessory for a new She-ra variant. The material looks very similar to the original Starburst She-Ra's crown/headpiece. I think it would be a great way to get out the toy variant She-Ra , including this helm as an extra accessory to transform her into New-Adventures/Galactic Guardian She-Ra. As well. If I'm remembering correctly , She-Ra does use the Starburst equipment to travel into space in her original minicomic after all.

I'm sure the figure has potential no matter what it is. But doesn't it seem weird for Mattel to buddy up to Marvel/Disney when they're already in bed with DC/Warners?

It might be NA Skeletor's redesign...the stupid "Samurai Bucket" helmet he has just doesn't seem menacing enough.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    With Mattel appearing at the Stan Lee Comikaze Expo later this year, I doubt that it was the 4H that did it.

Scott is a HUGE fan of Marvel.

"STANDOR" was also TM'd not too long ago.

R
    Standor? * facepalm *

Hey I got an idea. How about a Geoff Johns/Jim Lee two pack for SDCC?

And for the sub figure for 2014 could be Dan Didio

Don't think I forgot about you Princess of Power fans. For you there is the Gail Simone figure.

If Stan the Man gets a MOTUC makeover, the figure's name should obviously be Excelsior, Heroic Master of the No-Prize. Standor just won't do.

I really, really don't get the animosity for the rumored Standor-- If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's just a fun, silly bonus figure (if it is indeed what we assume it to be) from outside of the sub and MOTUC proper for those of us would enjoy such a thing.

Here's a question-- does the existence of Mo-Larr, who was a similar bonus, somehow detract from your enjoyment of the MOTUC line?
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I really, really don't get the animosity for the rumored Standor-- If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's just a fun, silly bonus figure (if it is indeed what we assume it to be) from outside of the sub and MOTUC proper for those of us would enjoy such a thing.

Here's a question-- does the existence of Mo-Larr, who was a similar bonus, somehow detract from your enjoyment of the MOTUC line?
    This.

I agree wholeheartedly as I suggested above. I don't own Molar and i probably won't own Stan Lee (if these rumours are true) but I actually think he would be a great gift for my friend who is heavily into Marvel comics and only vaguely into the MOTUC line. Who knows it might even inspire him to buy more
    The Lurkiest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    This.

I agree wholeheartedly as I suggested above. I don't own Molar and i probably won't own Stan Lee (if these rumours are true) but I actually think he would be a great gift for my friend who is heavily into Marvel comics and only vaguely into the MOTUC line. Who knows it might even inspire him to buy more
    I hadn't even thought of this-- a Standor figure might very well recruit a bunch of new MOTUC fans from out of the ranks of Marvel Zombies. I stopped collecting Marvel Legends once I realized how superior an MOTUC figure flet in my hands...

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, Stan Lee has to do with Masters of the Universe? Did he ever create any characters or draw any of the comics that I may not be aware of? Cause I am drawing a blank on the connection.
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Can anyone tell me what, if anything, Stan Lee has to do with Masters of the Universe? Did he ever create any characters or draw any of the comics that I may not be aware of? Cause I am drawing a blank on the connection.
    None that I know of. There is no connection.

I think this is just a case of a famous person being immortalised as a toy. GI Jo has a whole range of celebrities in toy form, Sgt Slaughter, The Fridge etc. Again though as geooco and myself said above, where is the harm? It might bring more attention to the line, it might not.
    The Lurkiest

Man, if this Stan Lee thing is correct, I just hope he's got a normal Stan Lee head on the regular MotUC body. OOOOH the things I could use that for! Also the hilarious idea of an old man head on a huge musclebound body. One way or another, I can see no bad things about this idea.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I'm sure the figure has potential no matter what it is. But doesn't it seem weird for Mattel to buddy up to Marvel/Disney when they're already in bed with DC/Warners?
    Mattel has the license to the Disney Princess toy line so it really isn't that strange that they would start working with another part of the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    None that I know of. There is no connection.

I think this is just a case of a famous person being immortalised as a toy. GI Jo has a whole range of celebrities in toy form, Sgt Slaughter, The Fridge etc. Again though as geooco and myself said above, where is the harm? It might bring more attention to the line, it might not.
    But why immortalize him in the MOTUC line? Why not a Marvel line? I don't get the crossover. It really makes no sense.
    If it was Lou...fine...I'd get it. Not that I'd want it...but I'd understand the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    But why immortalize him in the MOTUC line? Why not a Marvel line? I don't get the crossover. It really makes no sense.
    If it was Lou...fine...I'd get it. Not that I'd want it...but I'd understand the logic.
    Yeah and considering the MOTU comic is DC, Marvel's main competitor, makes it even more perplexing. Unless of course there is something planned that we don't know yet. Marvel does have an animation studio... Maybe something is in the works .

Is it possible for them to release another comic through Marvel at the same time as the DC one exists? Something a little more traditional He-Man would be nice.

Heroic Warrior
    the only logic is in publicity. as far as i know, Stan's never had any connection whatsoever to MOTU. this is most likely Scott's personal interests superseding logic. i'm a huge Stan Lee fan from my childhood on but this would be a baffling figure. then again, as suggested above, if the figure were neat or novel in some sort of way like Stan's old man head on a generic buff body, i can see the fun in it, even though there's no connection between the two properties.

How's this line of logic: Lou Scheimer is an important piece of He-Man history, true, but he's not very well known. I'm a huge Masters fan but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup, and I bet a huge chunk of the existing fanbase couldn't either. A figure of Lou Scheimer would only appeal to a portion of the existing fanbase, and even you admit that you wouldn't want one.

Stan Lee, however, is a person with a fanbase that extends far beyond the reaches of the current fandom of Masters. A person who has never bought a MOTUC before might still buy a Stan Lee action figure, especially since, as has been hinted in this thread and elsewhere, the rumored 'Standor' figure would be a convention exclusive for "Stan Lee's Comickaze". So there you have an entire convention, named after Stan Lee, and an attending audience of ostensible fans of his who might buy a Standor, and discover the bigger world of MOTUC for the first time.

So, it stands to reason that, from a Mattel business standpoint, and for people who want to expand the line rather than cater to an ever dwindling group of fans, that a Stan Lee MOTUC figure sold at a Stan Lee Convention might be a pretty good idea.

One day, when there's a Louscheimerapalooza I bet we'll see a Lou Scheimer MOTUC, but until then, I think Standor makes a lot of sense.

Heroic Podcaster
    The main drawback to me about getting Excelsior (I'm not calling him Standor) is that we SHOULD be getting an actual MOTU character (Two Bad, etc) or PoP or NA - SOMEONE from this actual line. MOTUC will only last so much longer and I can't see how they can waste the time, molding and energy making these vanity projects when we still do not have all the MOTU, PoP, NA, 200X, etc. ACTUAL MOTU CHARACTERS.

And I am a lifelong Marvel comics fan who LOVES Stan Lee. Just not in MOTUC please. Heck, why not an Alcala figure in Alcala style? That would make more sense.
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

SunDevil, it is fallacious to argue that an exclusive convention character is stealing a slot from some oter figure. If they were going to issue Two-Bad as a convention exclusive, the world would tear itself asunder. A silly thing like a Stan Lee figure is perfect for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    SunDevil, it is fallacious to argue that an exclusive convention character is stealing a slot from some oter figure. If they were going to issue Two-Bad as a convention exclusive, the world would tear itself asunder. A silly thing like a Stan Lee figure is perfect for this sort of thing.
    Not only that but I think I read in the past that in the case of Mo-Larr the Robot Chicken people paid for a lot of the set-up and development costs for the figure. I would imagine that the same may be the case with this exclusive and the convention. Who knows, maybe Stan Lee is a big MOTU fan?

X-Celsi-Or

If the speculation is true, then he might only be offered at Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo. Which makes me wonder if people will freak out about not being able to get him, even if they don't actually want him. I can see the forums filled with more complaints about it, easily - just like Spirit of Hordak.

The Stan Lee thing really makes me scratch my head. I don't love the basic concept, but I'm willing to see what it looks like, first.

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    How's this line of logic: Lou Scheimer is an important piece of He-Man history, true, but he's not very well known. I'm a huge Masters fan but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup, and I bet a huge chunk of the existing fanbase couldn't either. A figure of Lou Scheimer would only appeal to a portion of the existing fanbase, and even you admit that you wouldn't want one.

Stan Lee, however, is a person with a fanbase that extends far beyond the reaches of the current fandom of Masters. A person who has never bought a MOTUC before might still buy a Stan Lee action figure, especially since, as has been hinted in this thread and elsewhere, the rumored 'Standor' figure would be a convention exclusive for "Stan Lee's Comickaze". So there you have an entire convention, named after Stan Lee, and an attending audience of ostensible fans of his who might buy a Standor, and discover the bigger world of MOTUC for the first time.

So, it stands to reason that, from a Mattel business standpoint, and for people who want to expand the line rather than cater to an ever dwindling group of fans, that a Stan Lee MOTUC figure sold at a Stan Lee Convention might be a pretty good idea.

One day, when there's a Louscheimerapalooza I bet we'll see a Lou Scheimer MOTUC, but until then, I think Standor makes a lot of sense.
    I agree. A Standor/Excelsior figure might generate some awareness among marvel-fans for MOTUC. Could't hurt to extend the longevity of the line this way.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I'm curious about where this Stan Lee rumor came from. So if I understand this correctly:

a) Stan sent a Tweet about wanting Mattycollector to come to his Comikaze convention.
    b) Mattel has registered a character named Standor (which doesn't match up with any known character).

Is that all that this rumor/speculation is based on or is there more to it than that?

As someone who has been to Comikaze both years of it's existence I can tell you it has very quickly grown into a very notable convention. The first year I personally found it a little lackluster, but once Stan became a full partner it really took off and they put a lot of focus into growing it for year 2 in terms of size, attendance, vendors and special guest/celebrity appearances. Obviously it's nowhere near top level of SDCC or NYCC, but its now already in that 2nd tier of conventions alongside Cons like C2E2, Wondercon, Emerald City, Wizard World, etc, but the one thing I would say is missing from that 2nd tier formula is that it has yet to draw in some of the big company/corporate presence like having booths/panels from Marvel, DC, Hasbro, Mattel, Warner Bros, etc (although last year they did land Activision). I would guess if they want to see Comikaze grow even more in year 3 that would be a part of their focus, and since Mattel is headquartered just 20 miles away that seems like a good company to start with trying to get to attend. Based on just a tweet from Stan I don't know if I'd read much more into it than that... but you never know.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; May 21, 2013 at 03:31am.
    Classics won't feel complete unless ALL vintage MOTU POP & NA are included
    TOP 35 WANTS
    MOTU:TungLashor/Gwildor/Dragstor/Saurod/Ninjor
    POP:Angella/Mermista/Peekablue/Perfuma
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/Andros/Hoove
    FILMATION: DreeElle/Imp/Montork/Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque
    MISC:Lodar/Veena/Miro/Delora/Hawke/OOLarr/Prahvus/Dare/EvilSeed