Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Enhances Figures.

Muscle Shading Enhances Figures.

With the return of Zodac, we see him with muscle shading, as seen below. All characters should — as much as possible — have this paint application. It enhances the figures artfully, making them not just figures; thus, a more three-dimensional appeal exists rather than a flat incomplete canvas.

Note the unshaded and shaded Zodac! Also, note the costume Scareglow atteached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alexxandar; September 13, 2010 at 09:06pm. Reason: Addition of second Scareglow pic!

I agree. It's a day/night difference.

Heroic Warrior
    hmm that pic of him with muscle shading has been there since his first release and yet the release didn't have that shading.
    DEALT WITH:
    BMF,Bob-Man,dyecustoms,Grayskulls Fakor, Gorgeous Galvin D, anti-hero,vbpanizzi,Count_Cooku,Tenebrouser, H.A.L.9000

feedback thread:http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185108

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fantastico View Post
    hmm that pic of him with muscle shading has been there since his first release and yet the release didn't have that shading.
    Mine has it Anyone else NOT have it? It can`t be a mistake that mine has shadin and nobody elses has it?

Mine has it.

And I agree with the point raised in this thread - muscle shading should be used.

Yup, my Zodac has the shading as well. Also, I agree, the shading is a must for the entirety of the line!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

After checking all my figs, the only 2 that don`t have any shading are Zodak, and the orange on King Randor`s legs, besides that they all have the shading, some more subtle than others but it`s there on all my figs if anyone`s figures don`t have it, consider it a mistake . They are all hand painted and every figure will be different in that regard. No variants, that`s the way it should be and ALL figures should have the shading!!

Your Scareglow have any shading?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    Your Scareglow have any shading?
    he does on his cape and on his chest, more of a wash from the middle outwards. He doesn`t have any on his arms or legs though, not sure if he`s supposed to have that much since he glows in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    he does on his cape and on his chest, more of a wash from the middle outwards. He doesn`t have any on his arms or legs though, not sure if he`s supposed to have that much since he glows in the dark
    Good point, but the custom makeover (minus the attire) pic posted at the beginning of this tread makes him look really good. The fact he glows in the dark is nice, but being these figures are not necessarily supposed to have action features like the vintage toys as noted by TG, the glow in the dark feature is somewhat an action feature.

A Scareglow with more color would have made this figure handsomely more frightening.

Good point, but the custom makeover (minus the attire) pic posted at the beginning of this tread makes him look really good. The fact he glows in the dark is nice, but being these figures are not necessarily supposed to have action features like the vintage toys as noted by TG, the glow in the dark feature is somewhat an action feature.

A Scareglow with more color would have made this figure handsomely more frightening.
    You make good points and the custom does look cool, but I disagree on the action feature part. I used to have AC/DC spray painted on my closet growing up, but that didn`t mean my closet had an action feature

You make good points and the custom does look cool, but I disagree on the action feature part. I used to have AC/DC spray painted on my closet growing up, but that didn`t mean my closet had an action feature
    I like the fact that he glows, just wish they could made him more gory.

LOL! Actually, your closet does have an action feature . . . the door opens and closes.

My Zodac has the muscle shading. I agree that the airbrushing helps make the sculpt pop.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I like the fact that he glows, just wish they could made him more gory.

LOL! Actually, your closet does have an action feature . . . the door opens and closes.
    I didn`t think about that, your right!!

Heroic Warrior
    Isn't the door of the closet the action feature?

Ac/dc is just the muscle shading.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    Isn't the door of the closet the action feature?

Ac/dc is just the muscle shading.
    I'm taking my Zodak back cause I did not get a closet door (bloody quality control)!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    I'm taking my Zodak back cause I did not get a closet door (bloody quality control)!
    Yes, Looks like you got the shaft! Well, My good deed of today . . . I helped a fellow MOUTC realize he we robbed!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    too much!!

With the return of Zodac, we see him with muscle shading, as seen below. All characters should — as much as possible — have this paint application. It enhances the figures artfully, making them not just figures; thus, a more three-dimensional appeal exists rather than a flat incomplete canvas.

Note the unshaded and shaded Zodac! Also, note the costume Scareglow atteached.
    That "no-muscle pic" of Zodac is my pic, and he does have some muscle shading, as this rear pic shows:

It's subtle, but there. Blame my overexposed pic, I guess.

Incidentally, why would the new Zodac figures be any different? They're just leftover stock from the original run.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    That "no-muscle pic" of Zodac is my pic, and he does have some muscle shading, as this rear pic shows:

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content...05/zodac-2.jpg

It's subtle, but there. Blame my overexposed pic, I guess.

Incidentally, why would the new Zodac figures be any different? They're just leftover stock from the original run.
    The one on Mattel's page still looks more enhanced . . .

While I like a subtle amount of shading, the numbers of MOTUC figures being produced don't allow for the level of quality to make it worthwhile, in my opinion. I seem to recall my Teela has such differences in the shading on her legs that one looks like it has none while the other looks to have too much.

I'd much rather the extra time be spent to get the rest of the paint apps correct. Examples? Orko's ears, Hordak's staff's eyes, botched paint on Randor's furries, the gem on my Scareglow's belt, and on & on.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

I definitely agree that the muscle shading improves the figures overall look. He-Ro especially would benefit from this, as he's the only figure with fleshtone skin that doesn't have it.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Sorry but I barely can't see the differences. And of course that Scareglow custom is too much for me. He doesn't match with the rest of the line
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I definitely agree that the muscle shading improves the figures overall look. He-Ro especially would benefit from this, as he's the only figure with fleshtone skin that doesn't have it.
    He has it! I listed the figures that don`t have much or any at all in of my last few posts. I went through ALL my figures and they all have muscle shading, some just more than others

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It all depends on how well it's done. Such shading on many of the old Tyo Biz Marvel Legends looks more like a mudbath than shading. It's something Mattel has done quite well on both MOTUC and the DCUC line, but could easily fall victim to Mattel's infamous quality control. When done well, it's barely noticable, just an accent, as we've seen on many of the above figures (the slightly darker shading on the DCUC Green Lantern figure is especially good). When done badly, you get the original release of He-Man, who's eyes make him look like he's been on an Eternian bender all night long.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman