Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PIXEL DAN & TOYGURU NYTF 2013 Grayskull & Figure walkthrough video!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm totally fine with the balljointed tentacles. At least we *know* they won't deteriorate with time!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I imagine part of the issue is that even though figure X's material might be okay right now, it may not stay that way. And that doesn't guarantee that the material for figure Y WILL be okay. Part of the problem is that the plastics and materials available these days have changed formulas in some cases. Even if you knew exactly what plastic was used on Sssqueeze, say, you might not be able to get it now.

I think it's a bummer too and I wish they could make it work, but I am happy with how Octavia worked out. My hope for Sssqueeze is, if they can't make bendy work, that they include interchangeable arms. One pair could be very elongated. Another pair could wrap around in a coil. Those are the two basic modes I'd need. And I think it'd be worth the extra effort since that's Ssqueeze's main "thing."
    Toss in a pair of normal arms, and I'm all for it!

Heroic Warrior
    I imagine part of the issue is that even though figure X's material might be okay right now, it may not stay that way. And that doesn't guarantee that the material for figure Y WILL be okay. Part of the problem is that the plastics and materials available these days have changed formulas in some cases. Even if you knew exactly what plastic was used on Sssqueeze, say, you might not be able to get it now.

I think it's a bummer too and I wish they could make it work, but I am happy with how Octavia worked out. My hope for Sssqueeze is, if they can't make bendy work, that they include interchangeable arms. One pair could be very elongated. Another pair could wrap around in a coil. Those are the two basic modes I'd need. And I think it'd be worth the extra effort since that's Ssqueeze's main "thing."
    They CAN make it work and need to stop feeding us the excuses. Yeah the vintage Ssqueeze is 30 years old, so materials might have changed, but Snake Crush Skeletor is only 10 years old and he holds up just fine. Surely they can use the same process and materials that they used 10 years ago. Things won't have changed much since. then.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    It sure is! Wow, Scott is just a bit misinformed on this accessory...

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    They CAN make it work and need to stop feeding us the excuses. Yeah the vintage Ssqueeze is 30 years old, so materials might have changed, but Snake Crush Skeletor is only 10 years old and he holds up just fine. Surely they can use the same process and materials that they used 10 years ago. Things won't have changed much since. then.
    I honestly think it just boils down to the fact that they no longer want to take the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

It most definitely IS the Staff of Avion...
    I knew it! Scott was just misinformed. No biggie. It's hard to keep up with all these Filmation pieces sometimes.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Could the mask belong to Illumina? She is the only character I can think of that has a whitish deco.

I know no one is gona mention this, so I'll just gush about it on my own: NA He-Man has the sword slot on his metal sash AND the armor! YAY! That was my final question, bascially. They didn't mention it with the armor, but I could see it when he demonstrated how the armor opens 'n such. That is offically the most awesome figure ever in my book. I used NA He-Man for SO many things when I was a kid, so it's awesome to be getting a FULL reproduction with little improvements here and there (like the iron cross on his sash and the red squares on his armor; also the red on the gauntlets). Just fantastic.

Anyway, as for the rest of the info:

- Good to see Octavia's tenticles will have a good amount of movement; if they have to be stiff, then I'm glad they put 'em on ball joints with so much range. And I think what Toyguru is talking about with "deterioration" is that eventually, the metal inside the plastic will break depending on how much you've used it. Perhaps it doesn't happen with everything, but I know all the bendy toys I've had over the years have suffered from this over time.

- Toyguru was quite happy about getting Castaspella's spell blast in there! He mentioned how he had been trying for years, but finally managed to get it shoved in with Castaspella...meaning he had been trying with other spell-casting characters. I also take that to mean that what he's really been trying to do is just get SOME spell blast out there so it was already tooled, making it able to be included with anyone! So not only is this just a great idea for Castaspella, but it's now available for weapons packs and just about anyone in whatever color they feel like! ...not that this wasn't obvious, but the realization just hit me while they were talking about it.

- Hey, the hooded guy in the Fighting Foe Men has a place to put his staff on the back of his cape! Awesome! I wish we had more weapons holsters 'n such; so glad they added that!

- Snake Face's snakes actually move from the back of his head - through his head - and out the front? NEAT. Oh man that's horrifying! What a great little detail! Never thought of it that way.

- *sigh* Totally gona take off the armor on the Shield Maiden to check out her bra. Curiosity will always kill the cat, or in this case, make the armor really hard to put back on. Plus, the buring desire to swap armor and customize will eventually lead to me taking the armor off, but lets not beat around the bush - I'm still mostly curious about the paint apps underneath.

I think that's about it. Thanks once again Dan! Your walkthroughs with Toyguru are the only source for inside info on the figures, as usual!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

- Toyguru was quite happy about getting Castaspella's spell blast in there! He mentioned how he had been trying for years, but finally managed to get it shoved in with Castaspella...meaning he had been trying with other spell-casting characters. I also take that to mean that what he's really been trying to do is just get SOME spell blast out there so it was already tooled, making it able to be included with anyone! So not only is this just a great idea for Castaspella, but it's now available for weapons packs and just about anyone in whatever color they feel like! ...not that this wasn't obvious, but the realization just hit me while they were talking about it.
    I thought the same thing. I'd like one in blue and green, please. Read would be nice too. It'd be cool if they could work another one into some other figure and put a few in.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    RE: He-Man with NA's wrist articulation

"It's hard cause it's like, do we do another He-Man, or do we do Shokoti?"

I don't think Scott really wants to know the answer to this question.

I love that the Roton pilot has the holster for his staff as well. That's a great idea and I'd love to see more holsters in this line.

I could see where Scott might get confused about the Staff of Avion since there is a different one in the mini-comics.

Heroic Warrior
    TG said it was Vykron in the clam shell, when actually it was me, Vikor!!!
    Yeah that was bugging me too Along with killing the guy who asked about the Grayson Batman saying there were a couple when Scott was talking about Robin (It was in Scott's Toyfair Presntation video)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I honestly don't think we're going to get any other answer. Me asking him again isn't going to change anything. Sorry! I don't know why they don't use the King Hsss bendy either, but at least the tentatcles on Octavia have really nice ball joints. I like that.
    Yeah I was going to use the Sentinel tentacles as an example from the Toy Biz BAF, and the Octavia ball-jointed tentacles look outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I'm totally fine with the balljointed tentacles. At least we *know* they won't deteriorate with time!

- - - Updated - - -

Toss in a pair of normal arms, and I'm all for it!
    I was just going to add I'd like normal arms too with Ssqueeze.

Sounds like a great video. Can't wait to watch it tonight at home!

I'm really excited about the future of MOTUC, and that's definitely a good thing. I do hate to hear about the dungeon piece for Grayskull being a sticker rather than a sculpted piece. My wife and I were discussing the roast gooble dinner episode where CG was discussed and I'm pretty sure either Eric or Scott said, when asked about the dungeon piece, that they couldn't see it done as a sticker but done as a sculpted piece. Still, it'd make a nice little accessory pack down the line. Maybe the dungeon piece and a statue or two.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Definitely Staff of Avion...

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I don't understand what the castle interior is going to look like. Originally, I thought it would be like the original CGS playset where it is just an inverse of the outside. The walls on the prototype seem to be smooth and folks online were saying it isn't done yet. Now we have toyguru saying it will be hollowed out. Does that mean flat walls or the inverse of the outside sculpt like the original castle?

Thanks again Dan & Scott for doing the walk through. I am always stoked for these reveals and introductions to the new sculpts.

Why is July so far off?

Thanks to Toyguru and Pixel Dan - what a great show!!! CG and other incredible reveals, I almost can't believe we are getting this. Great time to be a MOTU fan.
    I really enjoyed the fun in the video, the "toy destruction" and Toyguru's 'ding' count. ... and how Toyguru threw away Mosquitor was hilarious.
    Once again - thanks and please keep it coming Dan and Scott! I look forward for the SDCC 2013 Walkthrough video.
    Last edited by Sabretooth; February 12, 2013 at 04:52pm.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    He DESTROYED Icer. :O
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Dan any speculations on the mask shown? Could it be for the Great Black Wizard?

As a 200X/MYP fan I would love to see this Skeletor variant released in MOTUC - reuse of Sssqueeze arms!

Heroic Warrior
    I honestly think it just boils down to the fact that they no longer want to take the risk.
    Well if they follow the EXACT same process as Snake Crush Skeletor there is ZERO risk.

Does anyone have a Snake Crush Skeletor that is messed up?

or maybe he is thinking of this Staff of Avion

the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Warrior
    These walkthrougn videos are always fun to watch.

But I'm a bit disappointed about Grayskull. Yes, the sculpt is awesome. But
    - no weapons rack
    - no orb
    - no sculpted dungeon piece
    - castle smaller than promised
    - walls not sculpted on the inside
    I don't think the price of $250 is justified.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Great video Dan, thanks. Scott is too funny lol
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    He DESTROYED Icer. :O
    It is not a walkthrough with TG until some figure gets broken.

Again, as always, I'm stunned by the difference between TG in person and TG at a computer keyboard. The TG we see here is a guy who could sell subs to someone who never heard of MOTU. He comes off so well in person, friendly, exhuberant, without a trace of snark. I don't know what strange Jeckyllian transformation occurs when he sits before a computer...

Anyway. it's always fun to watch Dan and TG wreak havoc on the Mattel displays, and I think they gave us a pretty good idea of what we'll be getting. Honestly, I don't see the big problem with Grayskull; it may be a tad smaller than the first drawings, but not by the margin some seem to be thinking. Figure's heads are clearing the ceilings, the door still looks good with He-Man before it, and it is the biggest Grayskull we've ever had. I'm still keeping my pre-order with Big Bad, and I have to give Mattel some credit for giving the folks ordering through Matty the option of opting out. Now, if we wind up losing most of the pieces inside and are paying around $300 for a shell of plastic when SDCC rolls around, I'll definitely have a problem. But what I'm seeing right now is worth what I'm paying (realizing that a low production number item like this is going to have a premium price).

The only exception I took to TG's comments were about Icer and the translucent plastic. He re-iterated the tale of the Goddess, but failed to mention the cracking problems with every other figure that has used the transparent/translucent plastic (and the exploding posterior action feature in the DCUC line he mentions was completely different from what happened with Goddess; it didn't shatter, it just popped apart). Robotos are cracking left and right, and a number of the Photogs had cracked lenses. Now I haven't heard yet of any problems with Cy-Chop's chest, so maybe things have changed and Icer will be fine. I just wish TG and Mattel would acknowledge that there is an unmistakable pattern with the clear plastic and say they are making sure it doesn't happen again. Pretending a problem doesn't exist is not a good way to make it go away...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    @ Scott saying someone asked him if Swiftwind was dead in the bios because She-Ra was holding his mask. I literally thought the exact same thing and was worried.

It's a shame the Point Dread tower isn't included. I thought they might reveal it at SDCC as another "Look how awesome the Castle is! Buy more!" kind of deal. It's still gorgeous though. I hope we get a "Grayskull expansion" set that comes with the Point Dread tower and the monster grate for the dungeon. Also the mini weapons rack that's shaped a bit like a triangle. I really like that. Oh, and the Sorceress' dimensional mirror. That's a must. SO many cool things could be included in an expansion set. 200X had the Battle Station add-on, so it's something that can be done. P.S., I love the Battle Station. Just sayin'

Octavia's ball jointed tentacles have a LOT of motion. I'm very excited and surprised! I think she's going to be amaze-balls in person! I can't wait to get her. LOVE all her accessories too. Just awesome!

I had not heard this before, but Scott was explaining to Val and I off camera that this is all in one of the Bible's Mattel has, where they were proposing the show as "Son of He-Man" and ultimately changed it to "New Adventures." I think he plans to reveal more info on this at some point.
    Interesting!

-The inside of the Castle will not have sculpting like the outside. It's a hollow shell like the vintage playset. If you guys remember, he and the Horsemen have been saying this all along.
    I don't recall what they've said SINCE Grayskull was announced, but I'm pretty certain Scott said BEFORE Grayskull was announced "If we ever get to make Castle Grayskull, the inside will be fully sculpted and not hollow like the vintage one." I mean...it can't be hollow, hollow because then all the shields and such wouldn't be able to hang on the walls like shown at NYTF, right? That requires a flat wall, at least. I would love the brick detailing inside though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I know no one is gona mention this, so I'll just gush about it on my own: NA He-Man has the sword slot on his metal sash AND the armor! YAY! That was my final question, bascially. They didn't mention it with the armor, but I could see it when he demonstrated how the armor opens 'n such. That is offically the most awesome figure ever in my book. I used NA He-Man for SO many things when I was a kid, so it's awesome to be getting a FULL reproduction with little improvements here and there (like the iron cross on his sash and the red squares on his armor; also the red on the gauntlets). Just fantastic.
    I didn't notice that. That IS awesome!

I wonder who the blast was originally cast for? It does look really cool. It will definitely work perfectly in blue and purple (Evil-Lyn), smokey black (Shadow Weaver), red (Shokoti and Sorceress) and white (Sorceress).

I thought the same thing. I'd like one in blue and green, please. Read would be nice too. It'd be cool if they could work another one into some other figure and put a few in.
    I'm curious, why would you like green? The Goddess or to go with Evil-Lyn's Weapons Pak orb? I think The Goddess (the green one) used a green blast.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm curious, why would you like green? The Goddess or to go with Evil-Lyn's Weapons Pak orb? I think The Goddess (the green one) used a green blast.
    I was thinking for Evil-Lynn or Shadow Weaver. Green seems like such an evil color. I associate blue with "good" magic. Red and green with "evil" magic. For whatever reason. LOL.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest