Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PIXEL DAN & TOYGURU NYTF 2013 Grayskull & Figure walkthrough video!

I'm glad Scott mentioned the throne being modified so that the Sorceress can sit, but no guarantees I really hope that cheap fix can be done, so that the castle can feel complete and useful. I'm ok with the interior walls not being sculpted, because there looks to be a lot of "furniture" attached, so not much will be visable anyway.
    Everything else I'm fine with. Even buying the dungeon grate separately later on. Hope nothing else gets cut. Even though I can personally live without the batwing jetpack, which looks kinda useless.

Hey Dan thanks for another great walk through! My question stems from just plain stupid curiosity... At one point a few moments after throwing Mosquitor in the video you and Scott stop what you are doing, both look off past the Camera, then both look at each other with smiles on your faces then continue on with the walk through... What had happened off behind the camera?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The only exception I took to TG's comments were about Icer and the translucent plastic. He re-iterated the tale of the Goddess, but failed to mention the cracking problems with every other figure that has used the transparent/translucent plastic (and the exploding posterior action feature in the DCUC line he mentions was completely different from what happened with Goddess; it didn't shatter, it just popped apart). Robotos are cracking left and right, and a number of the Photogs had cracked lenses. Now I haven't heard yet of any problems with Cy-Chop's chest, so maybe things have changed and Icer will be fine. I just wish TG and Mattel would acknowledge that there is an unmistakable pattern with the clear plastic and say they are making sure it doesn't happen again. Pretending a problem doesn't exist is not a good way to make it go away...
    I don't know why Scott keeps claiming that the problem is not with the plastic. It IS THE PLASTIC! If it was a welding issue then why is my Goddess figure crumbling at the neck. The plastic is brittle and I am very disappointed to see that they will be using it again on Icer. Can't wait to see the fallout from the QC nightmare that this figure is going to be. Somebody out there, go ahead and start the thread because it's going to be a long one.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I was thinking for Evil-Lynn or Shadow Weaver. Green seems like such an evil color. I associate blue with "good" magic. Red and green with "evil" magic. For whatever reason. LOL.
    Oh, okay. Interesting In media, a lot of characters that use blue magic are good. Never really thought about it before...and Malificent used green magic, I think...and Rasputin used green magic in Anastasia (I think).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    Hey Dan thanks for another great walk through! My question stems from just plain stupid curiosity... At one point a few moments after throwing Mosquitor in the video you and Scott stop what you are doing, both look off past the Camera, then both look at each other with smiles on your faces then continue on with the walk through... What had happened off behind the camera?
    I'm taking my clothes off. They were horrified.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm taking my clothes off. They were horrified.
    Maybe that annoying kid from the live stream came back and started laughing in the background, while fondling all the prototype toys on the floor.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    The Mosquitor that was laying on the floor from Scott throwing it had confused some other Mattel employees that found it laying there. That's what we both glanced at, and I was trying not to laugh. They looked utterly confused that there was a figure just laying in the middle of the floor, and had no idea what to do with it.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    So did Matty sub contract out Zoloworld for their awesome MOTUC cases? Or did they just take the idea?

Heroic Warrior
    The inside of the vintage playset is more detailed, because it's the negative from the outside. The MOTUC version has a sculpted outside but mostly blank walls on the inside. That's the difference. I think, there're weren't enough time or budget...

If it can be blank, it also can be sculpted with a brick design...

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    So did Matty sub contract out Zoloworld for their awesome MOTUC cases? Or did they just take the idea?
    They made their own. I asked Scott if they got the idea from ZoloWorld, but he mentioned that as a company, Mattel makes these sorts of cases regularly for Hot Wheels and Barbie. The opportunity came up for MOTU, and he jumped on it.

I do love Mike's Zolo Cases, and have many of them. Definitely hope this doesn't hurt him too badly, but can't really fault Mattel for making their own at the same time. Kinda reminds me of how Hasbro started making their own Star Wars cases after the success of the old Star Cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    The inside of the vintage playset is more detailed, because it's the negative from the outside. The MOTUC version has a sculpted outside but mostly blank walls on the inside. That's the difference. I think, there're weren't enough time or budget...

If it can be blank, it also can be sculpted with a brick design...
    The final product may actually be different, with the walls inside being more like that. This one here is the actual sculpt of the Horsemen's that they did in two weeks (sleeping at the studio and everything!) So we'll have to see how the production piece turns out at SDCC.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Great job as always, Dan. I just love Scooter.

I really hope all those extra things get to us in time (dungeon piece, Point Dread, etc.).
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    They made their own. I asked Scott if they got the idea from ZoloWorld, but he mentioned that as a company, Mattel makes these sorts of cases regularly for Hot Wheels and Barbie. The opportunity came up for MOTU, and he jumped on it.

I do love Mike's Zolo Cases, and have many of them. Definitely hope this doesn't hurt him too badly, but can't really fault Mattel for making their own at the same time. Kinda reminds me of how Hasbro started making their own Star Wars cases after the success of the old Star Cases.
    True enough. It does suck for Mike a bit, but not too much you can do in that situation. Too bad I'm not collecting MOC anymore, I would be all over these. Thanks for the reply.

Great video, thanks. All the figures look great, even the ones I don't want.
    I'm disappointed that there will be no sculpted inner walls in Grayskull, and that other things won't be there (including things shown on the b-sheets).
    I really hope they do NOT compromise the sculpt of the throne for the Sorceress. It isn't her throne! Make a real sorceress throne for her.
    However, I LOVE everything else we're seeing with the Castle. Looks amazing.
    I can live with a sticker, for now. For me that's no big deal. I'm sure they'll release the sculpted piece at one point. Hopefully with other missing parts in an expansion pack.

Also: I'm glad Strobo will see an early release for subscribers. Hopefully soon?

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Technically these cases aren't clamshell cases. As they would need to be attached at the side, like a clam's shells. Not that it matters, people know what you mean when you say clamshell. Just say'n.

I'm not mad at Mike for "taking the idea" from star cases, why would I be mad at Mattel for "taking the idea" from Mike? That's not how the world works. Zolo wasn't even the first person around making cases for He-Man figures. Both vintage and 200X had cases made by other people. This is not an original idea, it was a realized opportunity.

I give credit to Mike for trying to make a better product (and succeeding, imo). I love a case that perfectly fits a specific product, and I'm glad he was around to put his passion into making these cases. The loose vintage cases are awesome for the figures they fit. That's a good evolution of the clamshell idea, as other people were making generic ones that could fit multiple figures, these were more direct. I do use some of the older ones because not all the figures fit into Zolo cases, but I wish they all did, they are nice.

I also give credit for Mattel's advancement of the case. They ditched the hing, and made the case easier to ship and easier to store. That's a big deal guys. On top of that, a carded figure now stands up straight, that's also a huge deal. Now you can use these to display your figures.

I would never use playing cards to prop up a case, to me that's really tacky, and having a case that functions properly is a better solution. I remember asking Mike about this, but with how much these things cost to prototype and produce, there's only so many rounds of revisions one can make.

I'm glad I bought Zolo cases, and I'll be more than happy to try out some of Mattel's cases.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; February 12, 2013 at 05:27pm.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

love these walkthroughs - thanks dan! ...

without starting the whole CG debate over again; after seeing this footage, im still not convinced its big enough nor worth the selling price ... maybe i just expected too much? ... but size and cost aside, it's an awesome update of the classic play-set, which gave me hours of fun growing up ... im pleased all you guys are happy with the product ...

so excited for mantenna now! ... and clamp-champ! ...

those stackable stands look neat too ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; February 12, 2013 at 05:39pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

They stole my lazy susan idea!

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I had not heard this before, but Scott was explaining to Val and I off camera that this is all in one of the Bible's Mattel has, where they were proposing the show as "Son of He-Man" and ultimately changed it to "New Adventures." I think he plans to reveal more info on this at some point.
    Hmmm...well if the name "Dare" originated in the early New Adventures proposals....I wonder if DARIUS had any deeper meaning DARE/DARIUS are pretty similar sounding names dontcha think?
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Thanks to Dan, Scott, and Val for the walk through!

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I'm totally fine with the balljointed tentacles. At least we *know* they won't deteriorate with time!
    The tentacles do look a lot better than I thought they would BUT I still think Mattel could have added some "cuts" in them so we could get even more poses.

Great video!
    I actually have zero complaints and am pretty thrilled not only about everything shown, but about the prospect of MOTUC having a healthy future for at least a few more years to come
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

I honestly don't think we're going to get any other answer. Me asking him again isn't going to change anything. Sorry! I don't know why they don't use the King Hsss bendy either, but at least the tentatcles on Octavia have really nice ball joints. I like that.
    Boo! Hsss! I feel like pulling a Catra, lowering my mask and pouncing on Matty and all their excuses regarding this Bendy Debacle. But I agree with you that we aren't going to get any other answers...

...still, there's Scorpia to think of. If we don't remind them that we do want her tail to be Bendy, then there's no chance of it happening.

Thank you for this video Dan - at least we got to see how the tentacles ultimately worked out! I'll look forward to seeing your video review of Octavia to see just how many poses are possible with the tentacles sculpted this way....

Great video and coverage since I couldn't get back there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grayskull: I hope they may consider what many have suggested in shaving down the base where the mouth drops so it can go down a little more.
    The trap door does not drop directly into the prison, but then maybe it's an escape option?
    I would like to wait til the final to truly pass any final thoughts on Grayskull, it is AWESOME so far so waiting til SDCC!!!

Glad they're gonna have a Filmation sub but then this leads me to believe they are actually getting more of a budget then they made us think, BUT IT'S ALL GOOD!!! Now we can satisfy many sides of the spectrum! Guys don't fret POP, NA and possibly 200X will still have slots! I think this is a good sign we can possibly make it pass 2014???

Love the new figures and as always can't wait to add these to a collections that is truly becoming the Greatest Collection in the Universe!

As far as the protective cases go, I wish that expense could've been put into a figure rather than create a SKU not necessary where others make these types of things, but I guess Mattel sees how these are doing financially and want to get in on it; seems cutthroat but folks, this is a business! Like another member posted one does, another comes and many more follow. IMO that money could've been put to another figure or tool though.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

- Toyguru was quite happy about getting Castaspella's spell blast in there! He mentioned how he had been trying for years, but finally managed to get it shoved in with Castaspella...meaning he had been trying with other spell-casting characters. I also take that to mean that what he's really been trying to do is just get SOME spell blast out there so it was already tooled, making it able to be included with anyone! So not only is this just a great idea for Castaspella, but it's now available for weapons packs and just about anyone in whatever color they feel like! ...not that this wasn't obvious, but the realization just hit me while they were talking about it.
    Everytime there's a walkthrough video, Toyguru always mentions something from design that he made sure happened......but if you ask him something in Ask Matty about design, he always says it's up to design and he has no control over it. Go figure.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

These walkthroughs are what sells the line I think. By just looking at the pictures of the figures, you never get the full story. Hurricane Guru cracks me up all the time, he just drops everything. PD is great and the comraderie between the 2 is great! I think Grayskull looks awesome, really need that darn weapons rack now. Love the small orb holder as I did not get TOD. all in all fun stuff and I may break down and buy that Filmation sub... Man this line is expensive, and I REALLY, REALLY want all of the 1966 Batman stuff! Need another job!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Thanks for the video Dan. I'm so pumped for the rest of the year, especially Mantenna.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Great video!
    I actually have zero complaints and am pretty thrilled not only about everything shown, but about the prospect of MOTUC having a healthy future for at least a few more years to come
    I agree and have to say this set of reveals might very well be the best since the line began.

Does anyone have a list of which figures were revealed and when/where? Might be fun to take a trip down memory lane