Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 953

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

  1. #276
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mad City, WI
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    Scott has said it a thousand times, you want to support the line and keep it going, buy a sub.
    Fangman is just another reason you should have gotten a sub.
    This! And totally stoked to get Strobo! I wonder how that cape would look on Sy Clone...

  2. #277
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,607
    I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Not everyone is a completist. And not everyone can afford a sub. Mattel has decided to set up the system so that it lives or dies by the sub, as if there is no other viable business model for the line. (Nevermind the fact that the sub was originally intended as a convenience, not the lifeblood.)

    It's patently unfair to say that cherry-pickers are obligated to purchase an entire sub when they only want 50% or less of the characters being offered. Withholding Fang Man (a character I wans't going to buy anyway, by the way) is a strongarm tactic toward selling more subs. It will backfire. This tactic does not make me more inclined to sub next year; instead, it makes me inclined to say I'm satisfied (especially after Jitsu and Ram Man are released) with what I have and just walk away.

  3. #278
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,843
    Baffles the mind how some think subbers are somehow being “rewarded” with this abominable move. You’re not being rewarded. You’re getting what you paid for. But a hell of a lot of others are being punished for not really doing anything wrong. If that makes you feel like you’re being rewarded then, well, I suppose that’s good luck to you.

  4. #279
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Baffles the mind how some think subbers are somehow being “rewarded” with this abominable move. You’re not being rewarded. You’re getting what you paid for. But a hell of a lot of others are being punished for not really doing anything wrong. If that makes you feel like you’re being rewarded then, well, I suppose that’s good luck to you.
    I don't see how cherry pickers are being punished? We were told at sdcc that some figures will have no day of stock,there are still online stores selling him. Why is everything always about the cherry pickers and the figures they want? What about the subscribers and the figures we want.

    Gonna break out a crow reference here....." victims,aren't we all."
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  5. #280
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    If Fang Man had a day of amount to sell it would be low and he would be a 3 minute figure...again. Would that make people happy? NO.
    No, it wouldn't, but I will say this: Scott would've been smarter to let it play out that way. I can wrap my mind around the concept of "limited" day-of-sale stock and very quick sell-outs. Still stinks for those who miss out, but that's been the case since nearly the beginning for this line.

    But this approach? Not making Fang Man available at all, even for half an hour, was a conscious choice by Mattel. They are purposely withholding an item from a segment of their customer base, with a clear motive toward forcing fans to subscribe. And it blows my mind that Scott actually believes ******* off customers is a smart marketing strategy. Does he honestly think the reaction is going to be, "Oh gosh, I was warned. Guess I better sub up next year, by golly!" Nope, it's walking away time.

    And before one more person says I'm complaining just because I like to complain, again I'll point out: I'm a thirteen year member of this board. Fan of the brand since the age of 8. I'm a die-hard fan who just happens not to subscribe. But Mattel has drawn a line that says you're not a die-hard fan or a worthy customer unless you subscribe, and it's sad to see some of the subbers drinking that Koolaid.

  6. #281
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    THis is no different thatn every other toy line...a group of figures is produced and a popular one is always short packed one per box...If Fang Man had a day of amount to sell it would be low and he would be a 3 minute figure...again. Would that make people happy? NO.

    Since TG has said this morning on Mattycollector that some Filmation sub figures may not see DOS...I think we will see less DOS figures available going forward in both subs in 2013...and if the figures are more limited....selling them after is going to be a easier. I haven't had any trouble selling off a figure from the sub I didn't want to keep.

    AND YAY STROBO...very excited for him!
    It's usually what is called a fan demanded figure. Fan demanded figures tend to be from a very vocal but not as big as you think group of people. Those figures often wouldn't be quite as popular if they had made more of them.

    Saying people who cherry pick aren't supporting the line is fallacious, they aren't supporting it as well as someone who subs but they are still supporting it. But that is why people have called this scare tactics, getting people to buy the subs. Which oddly at one point mattel said they wouldn't do. Weren't the original sellouts more to do with they lowered production numbers, and at the same time scalpers started getting into the line to increase secondary market sales?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  7. #282
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I agree what do cherry pickers want? You don't want everything, but then you get upset when you don't get everything.
    I have a sub, but this comment is absurd.

    It isn't that hard to figure out that different cherry pickers want different figures is it?

  8. #283
    Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Front o' castle.
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    How people who buy "day of" might actually decide they like the figures enough to opt for the sub next time?
    I think they were looking at these numbers when making day-of sales vs. subs purchased, and ultimately subs were declining, and more people were picking.

    The tooling budget is spread out, so they can't just sell five more popular figures, and then go negative when taking such a hit on lesser welcomed figures. And as the line progresses, and more and more "must haves" are scratched off lists, this will only compile more and more.

    It's more like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    …I only want some of the figures, but I did it [subbed] for the line and to ensure that I will get the figures I want..
    Which might ultimately prove draining, but for now I'm the same way.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Demo Man is awesome.
    Agreed. I like him out of all the new figs second only to He-Ro.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Hasbro does offer almost everything from 95 on in Star Wars, just in new packaging every year or so... And most are the same exact figure, nothing new but an accessory or two.
    Ah ha, then Mattel does the same thing, too. Just in different packaging, with slightly updated sculpts, and a few new accessories. Ever sense the 80's man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stridor View Post
    http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/...ctID.273148800

    He said in 2013, not clarifying the month, so i'm authorized to believe that this counts from the moment i sign for thi sub.
    Your looking at something that was written before the Filmation sub was announced. And while I see what your trying to say, I personally wouldn't take any chances without first confirming. You just never know. But if you thought about getting the sub anyways, then give it a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I'm not sure the wisdom of this business decision. Surely Mattel could have made 50–100 extra Fang Mans for day of sale without risking too much of a loss.
    We don't know any of the deciding factors, so we can't really see folly or wisdom in any of it. All speculation. Very cloak and dagger yet in-your-face at the same time. Crazy stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Fan demanded figures tend to be from a very vocal but not as big as you think group of people.
    Werd. We'll probably hear this term a lot more in the coming days, and it probably won't be attached to Two Bad or Glimmer. But it does describe to people not familiar with the line just why (even if not completely factual) they're seeing such a random figure in the press.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Remember guys, we're all customers who want to buy these things. How can we get stuck on this after these great reveals?
    cheers to that!!

    Can we just get Strobo in February!?
    Last edited by Jawbridge; February 13, 2013 at 11:56am.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

  9. #284
    Heroic Warrior Kowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    This train of thought makes me think that they're less about scare tactics and more about being realistic. They could easily just tell you to "get a sub or get nothing" if Scott and Mattel are the evil conglomerate some people paint them as. And who knows, maybe they will someday. Might help sell more subs to resellers, as they are the go to source for pickers now.
    Honestly I think this is the perfect idea.... Mattel should go to a subscription only model... That will allow for resellers to actually turn a profit on these things... The "cherry pickers" would then have to go to the reseller/secondary market to obtain their figures... It would solve the problem of Mattel being leftover with too much extra stock and would also increase subscription sales because resellers would be more confident in projected sales.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

  10. #285
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Honestly I think this is the perfect idea.... Mattel should go to a subscription only model... That will allow for resellers to actually turn a profit on these things... The "cherry pickers" would then have to go to the reseller/secondary market to obtain their figures... It would solve the problem of Mattel being leftover with too much extra stock and would also increase subscription sales because resellers would be more confident in projected sales.
    The only major problem there though is the inevitable mark-up from the resellers, making already-expensive figures even more unaffordable.

  11. #286
    Heroic Warrior Gama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reynosa, Mexico
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Not everyone is a completist. And not everyone can afford a sub. Mattel has decided to set up the system so that it lives or dies by the sub, as if there is no other viable business model for the line. (Nevermind the fact that the sub was originally intended as a convenience, not the lifeblood.)

    It's patently unfair to say that cherry-pickers are obligated to purchase an entire sub when they only want 50% or less of the characters being offered. Withholding Fang Man (a character I wans't going to buy anyway, by the way) is a strongarm tactic toward selling more subs. It will backfire. This tactic does not make me more inclined to sub next year; instead, it makes me inclined to say I'm satisfied (especially after Jitsu and Ram Man are released) with what I have and just walk away.
    Yep, I think we reached a dead end here. It seems a lot of people believe the Scott and Mattel's rethoric about the "need" for a sub, others (like me) believe there are other ways to deliver the product. It´s ok, I totally understand the position from subbers, and I'm specially thankful to collectors making great sacrificies that subbed in the name of helping the line, but at the same time I keep asking myself: Who are they really helping? The fellow collectors or Mattel's wallets? Are we all taken for a ride here? mmmhhh....

    By the way, I love the sub as an OPTION (as it was intended to be), in fact, I´m pretty sure I will sub for the Filmation sub, not because of the Fang-Man scare tactic, but because I WANT all the offerings so far, 3 for 3. I'll take my chances on the other unknown half, I hope to like at least 1 more of them, 4 out of 6 wouldn't be that bad

  12. #287
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The only major problem there though is the inevitable mark-up from the resellers, making already-expensive figures even more unaffordable.
    That's what forces people to decide either to pay the mark-up or pay for extra figures they don't want. I actually would not be terribly surprised to see the line go sub-only at some point. Maybe past 2014... but probably some day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Yep, I think we reached a dead end here. It seems a lot of people believe the Scott and Mattel's rethoric about the "need" for a sub, others (like me) believe there are other ways to deliver the product.

    The problem is, it doesn't matter what you or I or Wakko or probably even Scott thinks... in the end, it's been made clear that this is what Mattel now prefers because of the financial security it provides. I don't think it's really any more complex than that. Mattel is hurting just like the rest of the toy industry. They took a gamble on MOTUC. They realized the subs (even if they came about because of fan requests) provided them a financial security in making these figures they didn't have before.

    They've gotten burned by excess stock sitting around. That's why they don't do reissues now. That's why they have had Mad Matty sales and grab bags. That's why one day they might go to sub only.

  13. #288
    Heroic Warrior Kowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The only major problem there though is the inevitable mark-up from the resellers, making already-expensive figures even more unaffordable.
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but that would be the incentive to subscribe. If you aren't a subscriber, then you have to pay a secondary market price. I know its harsh and I don't say it to be mean, but business is business. There are tons of products that function perfectly well using this model. I understand that not everyone can afford a subscription, but that doesn't mean Mattel has to offer same day product. Not offering same day product would increase subscription sales, because non-scalper resellers (like our own Mark and BBTS) would be more confident that they will be able to sell their inventory.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

  14. #289
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,263
    For whatever reasons, some known and some unknown, Mattel has chosen to go primarily to a subscription only model for this line. How is it that this is going to negatively impact the only sales Mattel really cares about (subscriptions) when the only people that are going to walk away are those that didn't subscribe in 2012. That's a net loss of zero subscription customers. If anything some of those people will subscribe in 2014 when they see that it may be their only way to get Two-Bad, Rio Blast, Tung Lashor, Glimmer, and Hydron without paying double on the secondary market.

  15. #290
    Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Front o' castle.
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The only major problem there though is the inevitable mark-up from the resellers, making already-expensive figures even more unaffordable.
    Mattel is marking up DOS figs now, so it doesn't absurdly change the model. And if they offer pre-orders, then you won't pay after hype sell-out scare prices. Just pre-order the ones you want. It's the system most people have been wanting.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

  16. #291
    Heroic Warrior Kowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    Mattel is marking up DOS figs now, so it doesn't absurdly change the model. And if they offer pre-orders, then you won't pay after hype sell-out scare prices. Just pre-order the ones you want. It's the system most people have been wanting.
    Yea, but the secondary/resellers prices would be more than $2 mark-up. It's fair to assume that the standard secondary market price would be $40-50, based on current BBTS prices and standard retail mark-up percentages.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

  17. #292
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    Greed-based decision, selfishness,... Sorry, I'm a little confused here: do you understand that Mattel is a company and its purpose is to make money, right? For a moment I thought you were talking about a foundation or a charity institution...
    There's a difference between making an honest profit, and then trying to make a couple extra bucks on top of that by manipulating a large portion of your customer base. Profit=good; Greed=bad. Profit and greed are not the same. I'm a corporate accountant who currently works for a large non-profit corporation, so don't presume to tell me the difference between a business and a charity.

    And anyways, your argument is based on the assumption that a for profit business can do whatever it likes because it's supposed to make money. It's a question of priorities, not of whether it's ok to make a profit. It's a question of what means do you go to to make said profit. How do you treat those you depend on for that profit (customers and employees). Some people still live in that 1950's mentality where business and money are the most important things in life, but that is not the case.

    The real product on sale here is not a hunk of plastic, but what that hunk of plastic does to us. It creates good feelings, nostalgia, wonder, childhood. And then, in some, it creates a certain level of dependence. Mattel knows that and manipulates that fact for it's own advantage. But in the end, all that manipulation will eat away at their real product, destroying those good feelings, and their customers will leave. What has all the manipulating of the fan base acheived so far? A sub that barely went through. Mattel is bleeding customers, and it would benefit their stockholders if they took a long-term approach to profit and loss rather than a "I want to make every single dollar I can right now, darn the future." Mattel is burning through their customer base. Because of their treatment of this property, there is a growing number of people who won't buy any Mattel product again.

    So in either case, a company trying to make a profit should not be employing these manipulative tactics. It harms long term profitability, and it's just wrong to manipulate people for your own gain. It's ludicrous how we give corporations the same rights as human beings, but we don't expect the same ethical behavior.

  18. #293
    Heroic Warrior Gama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Reynosa, Mexico
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post



    The problem is, it doesn't matter what you or I or Wakko or probably even Scott thinks... in the end, it's been made clear that this is what Mattel now prefers because of the financial security it provides. I don't think it's really any more complex than that. Mattel is hurting just like the rest of the toy industry. They took a gamble on MOTUC. They realized the subs (even if they came about because of fan requests) provided them a financial security in making these figures they didn't have before.

    They've gotten burned by excess stock sitting around. That's why they don't do reissues now. That's why they have had Mad Matty sales and grab bags. That's why one day they might go to sub only.
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. It seems to be the only way to get new MOTUC (outside of the secondary market) now, wish it was different but it is the harsh thruth.

  19. #294
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Yep, I think we reached a dead end here. It seems a lot of people believe the Scott and Mattel's rethoric about the "need" for a sub, others (like me) believe there are other ways to deliver the product. It´s ok, I totally understand the position from subbers, and I'm specially thankful to collectors making great sacrificies that subbed in the name of helping the line, but at the same time I keep asking myself: Who are they really helping? The fellow collectors or Mattel's wallets? Are we all taken for a ride here? mmmhhh....

    By the way, I love the sub as an OPTION (as it was intended to be), in fact, I´m pretty sure I will sub for the Filmation sub, not because of the Fang-Man scare tactic, but because I WANT all the offerings so far, 3 for 3. I'll take my chances on the other unknown half, I hope to like at least 1 more of them, 4 out of 6 wouldn't be that bad
    This is the reason I am debating the Filmation sub also, I like the three figures shown so far. To me they are very MOTU more so than some of the vintage figures were.

    About tooling costs being spread out over the line, so from what I can most tell Fangman, who is Filmation and not as well tooled as some of the figures is going to be the figure they drop DOS off? This is done to save money? That doesn't make much sense, you think they would try to sell the figures that get them the most off their tooling costs not the other way around. Of course there could be production issues that prevent that but still.

    I am cherry picker, partially because of money partially because I like what I like. Coming out this year, I like the three Filmation figures, Fighting Foe Men, Strobo, Ramman, and possibly Castaspella. Outside of that I still need to get Teela, Faker, and Mekaneck. I would like a Sweetbee, for the future but as it stands I don't see much I just have to have for my collection. I have other figures I no longer want from other lines I am going to need to start selling off, and I already see how hard that will be.
    Last edited by wyldman11; February 13, 2013 at 12:21pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  20. #295
    Heroic Warrior King Criss79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    498
    I've been a cherry picker since I started collecting and we were told last year some figures might not see DOS.Sure it sucks if its a figur you want but that's the price you pay by not subbing.I've already prepared myself to pay top dollar for a figure on the secondary market.I refuse to sub because Im stubborn.Screw them,I'll be fine.Mattels motto sucks but life isnt always fair.

  21. #296
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    There's a difference between making an honest profit, and then trying to make a couple extra bucks on top of that by manipulating a large portion of your customer base. Profit=good; Greed=bad. Profit and greed are not the same. I'm a corporate accountant who currently works for a large non-profit corporation, so don't presume to tell me the difference between a business and a charity.

    And anyways, your argument is based on the assumption that a for profit business can do whatever it likes because it's supposed to make money. It's a question of priorities, not of whether it's ok to make a profit. It's a question of what means do you go to to make said profit. How do you treat those you depend on for that profit (customers and employees). Some people still live in that 1950's mentality where business and money are the most important things in life, but that is not the case.

    The real product on sale here is not a hunk of plastic, but what that hunk of plastic does to us. It creates good feelings, nostalgia, wonder, childhood. And then, in some, it creates a certain level of dependence. Mattel knows that and manipulates that fact for it's own advantage. But in the end, all that manipulation will eat away at their real product, destroying those good feelings, and their customers will leave. What has all the manipulating of the fan base acheived so far? A sub that barely went through. Mattel is bleeding customers, and it would benefit their stockholders if they took a long-term approach to profit and loss rather than a "I want to make every single dollar I can right now, darn the future." Mattel is burning through their customer base. Because of their treatment of this property, there is a growing number of people who won't buy any Mattel product again.

    So in either case, a company trying to make a profit should not be employing these manipulative tactics. It harms long term profitability, and it's just wrong to manipulate people for your own gain. It's ludicrous how we give corporations the same rights as human beings, but we don't expect the same ethical behavior.
    See what I don't get is this was told to us last year,why is everyone acting like this just came out of no where? These are opinions you have,manipulation is everywhere in this world and always has been,just like a bee to a flower. The moment a company stops thinking of the bottom line and puts feelings first,that company is done.

    We owe mattel nothing....in return they owe us nothing,only what we have paid for is what is expected.

    The only people this turns off is those that would never sub any way.

    I have yet to see one subscriber say they will not sub up-again over this, and in the end that is all that matters.

    Again, I understand your opinion,I just disagree with it is all.

    They have givin us to much say is the problem,what other toy company listens to fans like Mattel?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  22. #297
    Heroic Warrior jzachery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Not everyone is a completist. And not everyone can afford a sub. Mattel has decided to set up the system so that it lives or dies by the sub, as if there is no other viable business model for the line. (Nevermind the fact that the sub was originally intended as a convenience, not the lifeblood.)

    It's patently unfair to say that cherry-pickers are obligated to purchase an entire sub when they only want 50% or less of the characters being offered. Withholding Fang Man (a character I wans't going to buy anyway, by the way) is a strongarm tactic toward selling more subs. It will backfire. This tactic does not make me more inclined to sub next year; instead, it makes me inclined to say I'm satisfied (especially after Jitsu and Ram Man are released) with what I have and just walk away.
    If you can't afford a sub, how is Mattel missing out? They don't owe you anything. They're clearly not missing out on money. A cherry pickers cash is gravy, it won't keep the line moving. They can't count upon it so they don't include it in their business model. It's not up to Mattel to make sure everyone gets a figure, they're not Santa Clause.
    This sub enticement will make people who do sub up, keep subbing up, and it will probably lure plenty back. And it will definitely up the Etailers orders which is a great thing. Frankly I'd rather have 10 scalpers sign up and resell, then to make sure every cherry picker gets only their personal favorites.
    Not being able to purchase a sub doesn't make you any less of a fan, but what purpose do you serve if you are not buying figures?
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

  23. #298
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,073
    The business sense of a sub only model is obvious, but then so too is the sense in making figures permanently available on the website. If Mattel actually left their excess stock up for sale it might sell.

    This Fang Man thing is obviously a tactic. Don't be inclined to think otherwise.

    I may be one of a small number, but I actually like to buy extra figures sometimes alongside my sub figures. I don't do this every month, but I do reasonably often. Sometimes it's because the character is a classic vintage one I just want a few extra of; sometimes it's because I see army-building potential. That's why I bought extra Kahns, Clawfuls, Buzz-Offs and others.

    If you make me sub, you prevent me from spending more money!
    Last edited by VaultsofGrayskull; February 13, 2013 at 12:39pm.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  24. #299
    Heroic Warrior jzachery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    There's a difference between making an honest profit, and then trying to make a couple extra bucks on top of that by manipulating a large portion of your customer base. Profit=good; Greed=bad. Profit and greed are not the same. I'm a corporate accountant who currently works for a large non-profit corporation, so don't presume to tell me the difference between a business and a charity.

    And anyways, your argument is based on the assumption that a for profit business can do whatever it likes because it's supposed to make money. It's a question of priorities, not of whether it's ok to make a profit. It's a question of what means do you go to to make said profit. How do you treat those you depend on for that profit (customers and employees). Some people still live in that 1950's mentality where business and money are the most important things in life, but that is not the case.

    The real product on sale here is not a hunk of plastic, but what that hunk of plastic does to us. It creates good feelings, nostalgia, wonder, childhood. And then, in some, it creates a certain level of dependence. Mattel knows that and manipulates that fact for it's own advantage. But in the end, all that manipulation will eat away at their real product, destroying those good feelings, and their customers will leave. What has all the manipulating of the fan base acheived so far? A sub that barely went through. Mattel is bleeding customers, and it would benefit their stockholders if they took a long-term approach to profit and loss rather than a "I want to make every single dollar I can right now, darn the future." Mattel is burning through their customer base. Because of their treatment of this property, there is a growing number of people who won't buy any Mattel product again.

    So in either case, a company trying to make a profit should not be employing these manipulative tactics. It harms long term profitability, and it's just wrong to manipulate people for your own gain. It's ludicrous how we give corporations the same rights as human beings, but we don't expect the same ethical behavior.
    I don't feel manipulated in the least. They sold me a contract upfront, and I agreed with it. Done deal. And having the sub, the perks make me feel taken care of as a customer. I don't see a downside to this.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

  25. #300
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Not being able to purchase a sub doesn't make you any less of a fan, but what purpose do you serve if you are not buying figures?
    Niiiiiiice. For the record, I am buying figures. Just not all of them. Again, you've bought into Mattel's all-or-nothing mindset.

    Also for the record, I do subscribe to DCIE and the Watchmen subs. And I don't treat the non-subbers as condescendingly as you just treated me. The way I see it, the cherry-pickers of those lines are contributing their dollars as well, and I'm not about to tell them to go take a hike or ask them what purpose they serve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •