Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 953

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

  1. #326
    Heroic Warrior Wulff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    I guess you have concrete numbers, where your arguments are based on?
    It's not at all a secret that this was always a tiny line, and it's sales have been shrinking with less subscribers the last couple years.

    Scott himself has said on multiple occasions that Mattel could easily shift these resources to a popular IP if all they cared about was money.

  2. #327
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Time to chime in once again. First off I would like to know where everybody got their business degrees from because it sure seems like everyone here has one. Maybe one of those phony online schools. Next thing is the overuse of the word gravy. Its toys not supper. One last thing that grinds my gears is the word entitlement. Some are saying cherry pickers think they are entitled to these figures. Well, I got news for you... WE ARE. This is a non-retail ADULT COLLECTOR LINE!!! It was made for the fans. It is sold on a special website for the fans!!! Sold at prices only a fan would pay!!! Produced characters only a fan would buy!!! Now I'm pretty sure when something is specially catered made for you it allows you to some entitlement.
    But these are not catered made for Cherry pickers,the are catered made for subscribers. Cherry pickers are entitled to nothing, unless there is extra figures for dos. Call it frosting,gravy or just dos,what ever you call it,they don't matter. If they did fang man would be on sale in march.

    As for business,no, I have no idea about it,I only no what toyguru says about the business he works for,Mattel. They are the largest toy company in the world,they must know more than all of us.

    Ivory called,they are missing a lot of boxes of late.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  3. #328
    Heroic Warrior nicholighkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    At the feet of Christ
    Posts
    2,458
    Just found out that there will be no DoS for Fangman. I'm really ****** about this. There is no way that this figure will sell poorly enough to justify this low of a number. It's just another strong-arm tactic by a parasitic company who can't seem to offer sub additions (extra DoS itmes bundled to save on shipping), reasonablely priced monthly alotments (especially during the expensive Christmas holiday), they can't seem to acknowledge mistakes or respond considerately to fans about the companies mistakes, they can't seem to grasp the fact that DR is driving sub numbers down, also high prices; all these factors and more are why the subs are down, and they are all the companies fault (with the possible exception of the price, assuming that Mattel is not lying to us . . . again), yet it is the fans, or should I say the disgruntled investors who are punished for this. Friend you mattel, Friend you in your donkey.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; February 13, 2013 at 03:22pm.

  4. #329
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Just found out that there will be no DoS for Fangman. I'm really ****** about this. There is no way that this figure will sell poorly enough to justify this low of a number. It's just another strong-arm tactic by a parasitic company who can't seem to offer sub additions (extra DoS itmes bundled to save on shipping), reasonablely priced monthly alotments (especially during the expensive Christmas holiday), they can't seem to acknowledge mistakes or respond considerately to fans about the companies mistakes, they can't seem to grasp the fact that DR is driving sub numbers down, also high prices; all these factors and more are why the subs are down, and they are all the companies fault, yet we are punished for this. Friend you mattel, Friend you in your donkey.
    You just found out,they announced this last year during sub sales.

    Some online retailers still have him for pre order,try them or there are many that dislike Filmation and will most likely unload him in the market place.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  5. #330
    Heroic Warrior nicholighkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    At the feet of Christ
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    You just found out,they announced this last year during sub sales.

    Some online retailers still have him for pre order,try them or there are many that dislike Filmation and will most likely unload him in the market place.
    They've "anounced" alot of things that never happened.

  6. #331
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    There you go again.

    You are assuming that the majority feel like you do. You are offering opinion and no fact. Just because a few of you feel abused does not mean the majority does. We were told this is the only way we can move the line forward. The fact that Mattel offers so few of us this great line from our past is great for the future of thier business,they don't have to offer this at all,but because they do care about the brand and us they offer it. But because of it being a small line,certain models must've used.

    Again,your opinion is just that,no disrespect,be I agree with nothing you have said. In your model the line would have tanked by 2011.
    I don't feel abused, please don't put words in my mouth. I simply think they are making poor business decisions.

    And funny you dismiss my words by saying it's "opinion", yet then you declare a moment later that your opinion that the line would have tanked.

    Regardless, it may be "opinion", but it's based on business experience - you either have it, or you do not. People that think this is the best way to run things because "Mattel says" are exactly the type of people they count upon.

    There are two ways to do business - you either pound as hard as you can and take all you can as quickly as possible at all costs (which you do when you either are not confident in your product, or simply too limited in your thinking to understand this is not the key to long-term success), or you understand that the moment that is happening right now reverberates throughout the rest of the lifetime of the line, and that there are many intangibles that this behavior effects long into the future.

    An opinion would be that Ram Man should have had normal legs not "springy" looking ones. How business works and becomes a success is not an opinion, it's called talking from experience, understanding, and a wider point of view than some have presented here.

    Go and describe the sub model person to someone who isn't inside the MOTUC "bubble", tell them about blindly committing $600+ with shipping in taxes for unknown figures, up to a year and a half in advance, and how you can only sign up for a few weeks each year or cannot participate until next year, and see how many people laugh out loud. It's an absurd model, it is only meant to secure short-term profitability, and shows a lack of confidence in their product. It also is pushed by the brand manager because it allows him to personally "curate" the line by providing not the figures that most demand, but the ones he wishes to be made.

    There is a really simple solution - preorders. If the figure sells enough, it gets made. If not, it doesn't. There are other alternatives as well.

    The world is not so limited, just because Scott Neitlich says it is.

  7. #332
    Heroic Warrior karg182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Midlands, UK
    Posts
    607
    Can anyone 'A' me a quick 'Q'. This has probably been asked LOADS but I forget: do products purchased through Early Access ship with sub product?
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

  8. #333
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    But these are not catered made for Cherry pickers,the are catered made for subscribers.
    And at what point did that happen? Before there was a sub, these figures were for all MOTU fans who wanted to buy them. So, back when it started, they catered to ME. Then the sub was introduced as a CONVENIENCE for those who knew they were all-in, but there was no you-must-sub-for-the-continuation-of-the-line mentality back then, so Mattel still catered to me.

    So I would like to know on what magical date the line that I'd been supporting with my dollars from the get-go was no longer intended for me, and what did I do to deserve that? I bought it then; I buy it now. Sell-outs I understand. Purposely withholding product from me? That's biting a portion of the hand that feeds you, no ifs-ands-or-buts about it. I bought the 1980s figures as a kid. I bought the 200x line as an adult. I've been buying MOTUC, and now Mattel is cutting me off on purpose. Smart marketing? Give me a break.

    Ah well, it is what it is. Mattel isn't doing a thermometer for the FILMation sub, and I have a feeling they won't be doing the thermometers for the 2014 subs either. That tactic has run its course. Those thermometers can only magically reach their quota at the absolute-last-minute so many times before it becomes transparently ridiculous. So I think the new tactic is random availability of day-of figures, followed by possibly sub-only options next year. If Toy Guru thinks that approach will work, more power to him. But he's so very wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by karg182 View Post
    Can anyone 'A' me a quick 'Q'. This has probably been asked LOADS but I forget: do products purchased through Early Access ship with sub product?
    Nope. Because Mattel doesn't employ rocket scientists.

  9. #334
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    114
    if anyone is worried about getting strobo who doesnt have early access i will gladly order one for whoever would like one. i would just need money in advance so im not in fear of having left over figures. send me a pm if want to work something out

  10. #335
    Heroic Warrior nicholighkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    At the feet of Christ
    Posts
    2,458
    I've defended this line and Scott on many occassions, but right now there is no question in my mind, there is something decidedly deceptive and possibly even sinsiter in the way they are conducting their business. It's very drug-pusher-esque. I can honestly say that I hate this company. After this line, I'd be very surprised if I ever buy another Mattel product again; and the way things are going, it looks like they're trying to push me out before I can leave on my own.

  11. #336
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I don't feel abused, please don't put words in my mouth. I simply think they are making poor business decisions.

    And funny you dismiss my words by saying it's "opinion", yet then you declare a moment later that your opinion that the line would have tanked.

    Regardless, it may be "opinion", but it's based on business experience - you either have it, or you do not. People that think this is the best way to run things because "Mattel says" are exactly the type of people they count upon.

    There are two ways to do business - you either pound as hard as you can and take all you can as quickly as possible at all costs (which you do when you either are not confident in your product, or simply too limited in your thinking to understand this is not the key to long-term success), or you understand that the moment that is happening right now reverberates throughout the rest of the lifetime of the line, and that there are many intangibles that this behavior effects long into the future.

    An opinion would be that Ram Man should have had normal legs not "springy" looking ones. How business works and becomes a success is not an opinion, it's called talking from experience, understanding, and a wider point of view than some have presented here.

    Go and describe the sub model person to someone who isn't inside the MOTUC "bubble", tell them about blindly committing $600+ with shipping in taxes for unknown figures, up to a year and a half in advance, and how you can only sign up for a few weeks each year or cannot participate until next year, and see how many people laugh out loud. It's an absurd model, it is only meant to secure short-term profitability, and shows a lack of confidence in their product. It also is pushed by the brand manager because it allows him to personally "curate" the line by providing not the figures that most demand, but the ones he wishes to be made.

    There is a really simple solution - preorders. If the figure sells enough, it gets made. If not, it doesn't. There are other alternatives as well.

    The world is not so limited, just because Scott Neitlich says it is.
    Your personal dislike of Scott has been clear,fine.

    Netossa gave us ram man. If preorders happened toyguru said some figures could go way past fifty a piece. The high cost of one is spread out over the year. Preorders prevent the cost being spread......fact! Preorders would yield maybe another 5 or so figures maybe more.....opinion! But looking at the slow sell of netossa I would bet that pop would never have enough to move forward.

    You are blinded by your anger at Scott.

    Fine you did not say abused but that is what you infer. If I don't feel like you a am a matty tool if I do I must be a smart business man. I have read many comments over the years here,and of yours I struggle to find one I agree with you on. That is what makes the world go round. Do not take it personal and nor shall I. But you will neve convince me and I will never convince you. We are looking through really different glasses.

    I will just good journey.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  12. #337
    Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Nope. Because Digital River doesn't employ rocket surgeons.
    Fixed that for you.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

    2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

  13. #338
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    It's not at all a secret that this was always a tiny line, and it's sales have been shrinking with less subscribers the last couple years.

    Scott himself has said on multiple occasions that Mattel could easily shift these resources to a popular IP if all they cared about was money.
    No, it's about a couple of other things, as well. The line likely would have been axed by now if:

    It wouldn't mean Mattel would have to admit to sinking one of their flagship properties for the second time this decade, which would be especially embarrassing given the initial succes of the line before the sub strategy took over.

    It wouldn't mean the end of Mattycollector. No MOTUC, no way Matty survives. This would be another, even bigger black eye to the company. And given that Matty's eye is already a good bit blackened by the horrid reputation of the site, they don't need it collapsing on top of that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  14. #339
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    I have zero hurt feelings for anyone that didn't purchase a subscription and is crying about this right now. Have fun picking it up on ebay for way too much money.

  15. #340
    master of hiphop
    AGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in your head !!
    Posts
    3,750
    Ok.... lets put it this way... simple and to the point!!

    lets say i buy 10 subs..... and i plan on selling 9 of those subs... but not as full subs just 1 offs for cherry pickers as they are called.

    ok i have 12 figures X 9 = 108 figures ... lets say for sake of argument they are 20 bucks each... that's 2160.00 ok.. i have my sub... all happy.. ok now i need to move the rest out so again for sake of argument lets say out of the 12 figs 6 (half) are sought after so i can easily sell 54 figures but now i'm stuck with 54 extra figures an investment of 1080.00

    so who eats that ..... i do easy enough.. but if i can find 9 people that will take the whole sub then i'm ok.. This is the same principle for Mattel but on a grander scale..

    Easy to grasp..

    Please don't respond with "well you'll sell those half for double and make your money back." that is not the point.. the point is being left with all these extra goods.. and a big reason Mattel does what they do with this line is to make Margin but also not to be left with product because to store product is not cheap, room and space = money and that is also factored in on the over all.
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

  16. #341
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    486
    [QUOTE=Wakko;3209646]And at what point did that happen? Before there was a sub, these figures were for all MOTU fans who wanted to buy them. So, back when it started, they catered to ME. Then the sub was introduced as a CONVENIENCE for those who knew they were all-in, but there was no you-must-sub-for-the-continuation-of-the-line mentality back then, so Mattel still catered to me.

    So I would like to know on what magical date the line that I'd been supporting with my dollars from the get-go was no longer intended for me, and what did I do to deserve that? I bought it then; I buy it now. Sell-outs I understand. Purposely withholding product from me? That's biting a portion of the hand that feeds you, no ifs-ands-or-buts about it. I bought the 1980s figures as a kid. I bought the 200x line as an adult. I've been buying MOTUC, and now Mattel is cutting me off on purpose. Smart marketing? Give me a break.

    Ah well, it is what it is. Mattel isn't doing a thermometer for the FILMation sub, and I have a feeling they won't be doing the thermometers for the 2014 subs either. That tactic has run its course. Those thermometers can only magically reach their quota at the absolute-last-minute so many times before it becomes transparently ridiculous. So I think the new tactic is random availability of day-of figures, followed by possibly sub-only options next year. If Toy Guru thinks that approach will work, more power to him. But he's so very wrong.

    Did you read any of the post around sub time last year or listen to the rgd around that time? Scott said the model needs and I fact has changed to a sub model. At first this was not the case. It is now. We can accept it or not. I have.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  17. #342
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    I have zero hurt feelings for anyone that didn't purchase a subscription and is crying about this right now. Have fun picking it up on ebay for way too much money.
    Nice second post in four years.

  18. #343
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,368
    YES!!! I can get my 3 Strobo's with no worry, an extra Mekaneck I want, and have no problems selling my extra Fang-Man!!

    Yes the sub takes me to par-a-dise
    Yes the sub takes me to par-a-dise

  19. #344
    Heroic Warrior nicholighkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    At the feet of Christ
    Posts
    2,458
    I've got one last thing to say. Let's say Mattel has x amount of subs to fill, they know the exact number, and they know that this exact amount are esentially already sold; if they have absolutely no DoS stock then that had to be an intentional defecit in order to send fans into a panic, because they would have to know that he would sell. Even if they made low numbers, I would be way more okay with that, but this is just too obviously intended to drive up next years subs, by kicking the cherry-pickers in the teeth. They know for a fact that this figure will sell, and not producing any whatsoever for DoS is an intentional move. He is one of the more fan demanded characters from the second most fan demanded genre (Filmation) and they produce no online stock? Strong-arm tactic, drug pusher style. End of story.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    I have zero hurt feelings for anyone that didn't purchase a subscription and is crying about this right now. Have fun picking it up on ebay for way too much money.
    So we've gone from disagreement to insults? That aught to help the situation. Way to contribute. Maybe in two more years you can reply to me. ; D

  20. #345
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Nice second post in four years.
    Yeah, I thought that too. People are upset and that is not needed.

    All of the people upset that fang man was in the sub,there must be a few here that want to sell him.

    Can somebody not start a bread line thread like with shadow weaver. That might help a bit.

    But next year,every figure will be a heavy hitter,I can't see not wanting all of them in 2014, ergo think about getting a sub. eBay will be insane next year,I remember 2010 when I started collecting,I had no sub. That was awful.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  21. #346
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,274
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    No, it's about a couple of other things, as well. The line likely would have been axed by now if:

    It wouldn't mean Mattel would have to admit to sinking one of their flagship properties for the second time this decade, which would be especially embarrassing given the initial succes of the line before the sub strategy took over.
    I don't see a line that has been going for 5+ full years with over 100 figures as sinking or embarrassing. How many toy lines do you know of that have lasted that long with almost no current media tie-ins? I know that Mattel has made mistakes, but let's not pretend that the attrition from year 1 to now is all due to mismanagement of the line. The line might just be running out of steam as it goes along which is pretty typical for any toy property.

  22. #347
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    So we've gone from disagreement to insults? That aught to help the situation. Way to contribute. Maybe in two more years you can reply to me.
    Fantastic. I've seen a lot of these posters in this and similar threads. Maybe people have multiple accounts? Or they're robots programmed by Scott and Mattel?
    Last edited by Krueger; February 13, 2013 at 03:58pm.

  23. #348
    master of hiphop
    AGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in your head !!
    Posts
    3,750
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post



    So we've gone from disagreement to insults? That aught to help the situation. Way to contribute. Maybe in two more years you can reply to me. ; D
    agreed,,, this is a discussion between two points of views and not a " HA HA sucker" that does no one any good but create a wall
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

  24. #349
    Heroic Warrior Wonder Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    569
    I really hope that everyone that wants Fang-Man is able to get him somehow. I guess this is the new stage of Toy Collecting with MOTUC. Unfortunately, as we saw last year with Fisto, even having a sub does not guarantee that you will get all of the figures you want. Good luck, Toy Collectors. May we all have the MOTUC collection we want.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

  25. #350
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Did you read any of the post around sub time last year or listen to the rgd around that time? Scott said the model needs and I fact has changed to a sub model. At first this was not the case. It is now. We can accept it or not. I have.
    It only changed because Scott wanted guaranteed sales up-front, and he wanted it for as many years as he could bleed the turnip. The whole "we can't reveal the entire line-up because we're awaiting approvals" is pure BS. He knows that a 100% reveal would diminish subs, unless the sub was full of heavy-hitters. People would evaluate the number of characters they want out of all being offered, do the math, and opt not to sub if cherry-picking turned out ot be cheaper. But filling it with heavy-hitters risks the longevity of the line, thus the secrecy. And so Scott's "new" model punishes those of us who would rather not spend our money on Vikor or the Star Sisters or [insert name here].

    Under a normal business model, Scott would've quickly identified which figures don't sell and focused on the ones that do. Money talks, so give the fans what they're obviously asking for. Instead, Scott has adopted a model that demands that all the fans pay for everything -- even those characters that only a select few actually want and, in some cases, never would've asked for. Some of those characters turned out really cool, yes. But I have a wife and a son and other responsibilities and cannot in good conscience pony up the kind of money Scott is demanding for an unrevealed line-up of figures. The sub is basically Scott's way of saying, "We're offering a product that we KNOW won't sell enough on its own merits, and so we need to force the fans to commit to it instead in order to get the figures they really do want."

    Yes, I know there are some fans who want EVERYTHING. More power to you. It's a shame those of us who don't want everything -- but still want a good portion of it -- are being cut off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •