Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 953

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

  1. #476
    Heroic Warrior nicholighkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    At the feet of Christ
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    Does no DOS Fang Man suck - probably. But Mattel said there would be some figures with little/no DOS stock. There was ample warning ahead of time. I can see 2014 being much more like this where only the sure fire sellers will have extra DOS figures. Mattel is wrapping up this line and looking to save and honestly, who can blame them?
    So Netossa is a sure fire seller? What genius bet on that horse? "Hey, let's make more than enough of this secondary PoP figure, but let's not make any extra of this highly demanded Filmation one!" This is an engineered deficit in order to push the new sub for the very off-shoot that this figure belongs too. Filmation is a highly demanded faction, and Fangman is a highly demanded figure from that faction, Fangman would have sold fine.

  2. #477
    Eternian Collector Asher99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    Does no DOS Fang Man suck - probably. But Mattel said there would be some figures with little/no DOS stock. There was ample warning ahead of time. I can see 2014 being much more like this where only the sure fire sellers will have extra DOS figures. Mattel is wrapping up this line and looking to save and honestly, who can blame them?
    This is another important idea that many collectors are not understanding: the MOTUC line is closer to its end than to its beginning. And after the release of more than 80 figures it just makes sense. Mattel is wrapping up this line people. Let's hope MOTUC go on for a couple of years more and is up to us that we get all the figures we want by supporting the line with our subscriptions.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

  3. #478
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    This is an engineered deficit in order to push the new sub for the very off-shoot that this figure belongs too. Filmation is a highly demanded faction, and Fangman is a highly demanded figure from that faction, Fangman would have sold fine.
    These are all either fair or correct statements. That having been said, they are looking more toward boosting sales of a 6-figure subscription and are willing to sacrifice the sales of one figure. Underhanded? Probably. But hardly their first rodeo in that game.

    I honestly don't understand how people are so shocked that they are doing this.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.


    Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  4. #479
    Heroic Warrior Memnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    So Netossa is a sure fire seller? What genius bet on that horse? "Hey, let's make more than enough of this secondary PoP figure, but let's not make any extra of this highly demanded Filmation one!" This is an engineered deficit in order to push the new sub for the very off-shoot that this figure belongs too. Filmation is a highly demanded faction, and Fangman is a highly demanded figure from that faction, Fangman would have sold fine.
    Actually - she is. Sought after POP character, vintage figure is hard to find, female figure, adds to an under represented faction. Just because you disagree and are angry doesn't make those facts any less true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    This is another important idea that many collectors are not understanding: the MOTUC line is closer to its end than to its beginning. And after the release of more than 80 figures it just makes sense. Mattel is wrapping up this line people. Let's hope MOTUC go on for a couple of years more and is up to us that we get all the figures we want by supporting the line with our subscriptions.
    Exactly. Mattel will likely do 2014 to wrap things up as much as possible and then close up the monthly shop. From there out we will likely see limited release quarterly figures along with 1 or 2 convention figures a year.

  5. #480
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,150
    I went into the grocery store the other day to buy a tomato. I tried to pay for it at the register, but the clerk told me that I needed to buy an onion, apple, pear, lettuce, and a piece of corn if I wanted that tomato. Yeah, obviously that didn't happen because that would be horrible marketing........but that's what this has come down to folks.

    As a subscriber, I want to apologize to all the non-subbers for some of the subbers comments on here. Some have been pretty rude about you not being able to get a Fangman.......and those same people will be begging for you all to pitch in and get a sub for 2014 in July.

    Speaking of the 2014 sub......I don't want to hear Toyguru and Mattel boo-hooing about how many subs they need to sell to make this line continue. You have a number of people that will buy on the day of sale monthly, and it's not just non-subbers. Subscribers also buy extras on sale days. I used to until this year. The only extras I didn't buy were variants like Hurricane Hordak, Thunderpunch He-Man, etc. With this tactic that has now been displayed for March........I don't want to hear no crying about how many sales they need to make for the sub, because they took away sales this year, themselves.

    With Mattel's handling of this line....by selling through the defective Goddess figures, selling Snout Spout after knowing the trunk had breakage issues, backwards parts on figures, and the more recent of shrinking the castle compared to the b-prints....I have my own way of dealing with it. Some people may say that it's no big deal, I'm only one person.....but I feel satisfied:

    When Snake Mountain gets a release, I will not purchase it. I didn't like that Castle Grayskull didn't measure up to the original dimensions, so they will not get me to purchase another playset. I lose out? Not really.....because I don't have ties to playsets like I do the characters, but I do have a vintage Snake Mountain to be satisfied with.

    Last, I have a 2 year old and a baby on the way in September. My 2 year old plays with toys.....the baby will too. I will not buy Mattel toys at retail. There are many other toys available from different companies for my kids to choose from. As they get older and see something they really like, then I will drop the ban.....but at least it's something that I can do now to show my disappointment in this toy company.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  6. #481
    Heroic Warrior Nemisythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by BMF View Post
    Whos right, whos wrong, who cares but I will say this, theres probably a couple of the people thats on the "Im mad I cant buy Fangman day of" side was one of the same ones that "Hoped the line died" back at sub up time.

    The bottom line is that a true collector that wants the figure bad enough will find a way to get it
    And that's probably those that bought the sub for the most part.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

  7. #482
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    599
    well this was a waste of reading time! nothing new here. same old same old.

  8. #483
    Heroic Warrior charliecore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Strobo = awesome, no waiting all year like for Sorceress.

    Fang Man - whoa, people are gonna light some torches.

    That said, this is a clearly transparent scare tactic - have we EVER had next months sale revealed before this months even happened? I can't recall in my time here.



    This is clearly being done to scare people into the Flmation sub, and I have a feeling that Fang Man will end up day of sale some time later this year. It just makes no sense for them to have only exactly made enough for sub holders.

    i doubt they ONLY made enough for subbers, probably satisfied the sub numbers plus CS stock in case of returns of damaged product.

    Honestly, this might not be popular, but it is smart business if they really did only produce enough for subscribers. It reduces the chance of being stuck with excess figures they can't sell and will possibly change the minds of people who were/are on the fence about subscribing in the future.

  9. #484
    Fake Casting Agent CocoaSmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The (619)
    Posts
    5,187
    I so want 3 Strobos!
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

  10. #485
    Heroic Warrior Greenskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    358
    I guess my Zodak will get to show his face early! YES!!!

  11. #486
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I have about 30 figures, and I started around August September, with buying figures off Matty and through here. I have yet to buy one through ebay. But with Teela being the way she is.
    I am in the same boat. I just started the line in December, and have accumulated 32 figures plus the cats. I have been able to do it all through Matty sales and the marketplace here. I also lucked out by agreeing to purchase a full sub from a collector that had more than he needed. I can understand that some people are disappointed, but that is why I seeked out a way to buy a full sub directly. I knew that if I didn't there would be a chance that I miss out on certain figures. I didnt even know the line was out there when the sub was open for purchase. I will sub next year because I want to make sure that this line goes on as log a it can and make sure I get every figure I want.

  12. #487
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Come on EC, you have never been on toy sites before 2010 or read a to magazine,good lord, th first thing idid as I kid when we first got the Internet was look up toy sites. You are a tiny tiny minority on this one. No way would most people have missed motuc news from sdcc 2008 on.

    That is just silly.
    MOTUC is the only toy line I have collected as an adult and I didn't find out about it until Jan 2010. I never looked up toys at all, until one I thought I'd like a vintage He-man and went to ebay and saw MOTUC there. I'm not saying I'm in the minority or majority, just saying how I came to the line. Had nothing to do with Mattel advertising or reaching out.

  13. #488
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Come on EC, you have never been on toy sites before 2010 or read a to magazine,good lord, th first thing idid as I kid when we first got the Internet was look up toy sites. You are a tiny tiny minority on this one. No way would most people have missed motuc news from sdcc 2008 on.

    That is just silly.
    I didn't hear of MOTUC until 2011, I've been on TFW2005 since 2007, and I never heard a word until I was looking at SDCC 2011 pics and saw someone carrying a MOTUC figure in the background of a Transformers pic....Before that I frequented Hot Wheels sites....and still nothing of MOTUC until 2011.

    I didn't spend my life on the internet then until I got into MOTUC, I was busy working, doing TF customs, and making music....toys were a background thing to me then, and actually still are except MOTUC, and now that Transformers is picking up again since pre DOTM for me.

    Not everyone lives online....people do have lives outside of toy collecting, it's not a be all end all of things....when I get bored I spend time on the Org here, otherwise I'm spending time with the wife and kid, working, working on customs, or working on writing music, or something else besides toy news.

    Not everyone eats, sleeps and ***** toys....Not everyone has to, to be a fan and a serious collector, that is what's silly. I get news on what lines at the time I collect, that is all that matters, and pre 2011 I never heard of MOTUC.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  14. #489
    Heroic Warrior FutureRetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    328
    I probably shouldn't venture in to this thread - I certainly am not looking to fight with anyone. I am a "cherry picker" and didn't find out about the line until February of last year. Since then I have spent thousands of dollars trying to play catch-up (most of which was spent on the secondary market). I am not a completest and can't force myself to buy figures I have no desire for. I understand the argument of each side, everyone has their reason. I also certainly understand the mindset that the line would not continue without subscribers, however I pay extra for my figures each month (and I'm obviously willing to pony up more day of to buy the figures I really want). I have no desire to sell figures that I don't want on ebay.

    I understand the frustration of both sides, but we are all entitled to collect the way that suits us best. And as much as I would hate to see the line die prematurely, I also will not have my hand forced to purchase items I do not want. I have no ill feelings toward Mattel - they are a business and like their tactics or not, they work. Currently, they still give me the option to buy Day Of and I will continue to be a customer until they remove that option. Once the day comes that subscriptions are the only option I will more than likely walk away. Life will go on.

    On to the actual topic at hand - congrats to everyone who is receiving Fang Man, King He-Man and early access to Strobo. You ponied up front, sight unseen, and deserve them. I think it was a wise decision on Mattel's part to limit Fang Man's production number - I wouldn't have bought him. If I ever find a great deal on him somewhere else I will certainly pass on the info to anyone who misses out on him. Someone on here will probably make a killing off of me on ebay selling King He-Man and Strobo. Hopefully you'll role that profit in to another subscription, that way we both win.

  15. #490
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Only King He-man is truly a sub-exclusive - Mattel could put Fang Man, or any other "non-DoS" figure, back up at any time and instantly devalue any of these figures, leaving them holding the bag, and it's 2011 all over again.
    I know it's gauche to quote myself, but as I have been thinking about this, I have a prediction.

    Nothing has been said about lack of stock, or any indication that this is somehow a "one-time-deal" with Fang-man. When I first heard this, I figured he'd show up in "limited" quantities some sale day in the future. But I was thinking on it's own.

    Also notice, no sub-meter, no "sub or it won't go through!" or any thing other than this "let's not sell Fang-man on sale day" and the now contradictory "Convention Exclusive" Strobo (now it's more like a Matty exclusive that will also be available at Cons*) transparently subversive (wow, this is getting heavy, LOL) tactics to sell the sub.

    And then I thought back to those "package deals" they were selling a month or two back, pairing up demanded characters with not-so-demanded ones (wasn't it like Orko with He-man? etc.). I didn't pay much attention - I would have picked up another Orko if he had been solo, but didn't need the other stuff and with all the expense in Nov/Dec this line was (plus the new Jem dolls) I just didn't want to drop the bills for stuff I didn't really need. And I bet a lot of other people felt the same - they were around for at least a few days, I remember going back awhile later and being surprised they were still up. If Orko had gone up on sale day they would have been gone in minutes.

    So...since they know some of the Filmation characters will sell better than others, I'm willing to bet that Fang Man shows up in the future in one of those bundles, in sets with other Filmation characters. They drive up the short-term frenzy with rarity, and then they drop them in sets which will undoubtedly sell now that rarity has driven interest so high. So instead of having the monthly risk, they know they will sell them all because people will be in some cases buying one or two other figures just to get one specific one.

    In a way, it may have nothing to do with increasing the yearly sub (which is a flawed model, I truly believe), but basically putting "cherry pickers" in effective "mini-subs" by doing the same subsidizing, just in smaller chunks. Which, actually, wouldn't be a bad idea for a pre-order system - every three months, put up three varied figures (a PoP, a newly tooled Filmation, a really nice vintage remake/200x figure/etc.). Doing them singly, they wouldn't sell all - but in sets like that? You know they would - I would do it, to get one PoP figure for sure and not gamble as to how many come out in a year.

    Somehow I just don't think they are that clever, though. Maybe. Would be nice.



    *As to Strobo being a sub benefit, on one hand, it's the oddest thing ever to have a "convention exclusive" be left overs by the time they are at conventions, *but* I actually think that *is* a great, and appropriate, sub-benefit. Personally I am also grateful for the ease I'll be able to get one, and not have to wait so long like I did with Sorceress. At least people know for sure he will be available elsewhere latter - same cannot be said for Fang Man (though as I said above, I tend to think he will reappear, one way or another).

  16. #491
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I probably shouldn't venture in to this thread - I certainly am not looking to fight with anyone. I am a "cherry picker" and didn't find out about the line until February of last year. Since then I have spent thousands of dollars trying to play catch-up (most of which was spent on the secondary market). I am not a completest and can't force myself to buy figures I have no desire for. I understand the argument of each side, everyone has their reason. I also certainly understand the mindset that the line would not continue without subscribers, however I pay extra for my figures each month (and I'm obviously willing to pony up more day of to buy the figures I really want). I have no desire to sell figures that I don't want on ebay.

    I understand the frustration of both sides, but we are all entitled to collect the way that suits us best. And as much as I would hate to see the line die prematurely, I also will not have my hand forced to purchase items I do not want. I have no ill feelings toward Mattel - they are a business and like their tactics or not, they work. Currently, they still give me the option to buy Day Of and I will continue to be a customer until they remove that option. Once the day comes that subscriptions are the only option I will more than likely walk away. Life will go on.

    On to the actual topic at hand - congrats to everyone who is receiving Fang Man, King He-Man and early access to Strobo. You ponied up front, sight unseen, and deserve them. I think it was a wise decision on Mattel's part to limit Fang Man's production number - I wouldn't have bought him. If I ever find a great deal on him somewhere else I will certainly pass on the info to anyone who misses out on him. Someone on here will probably make a killing off of me on ebay selling King He-Man and Strobo. Hopefully you'll role that profit in to another subscription, that way we both win.
    I bought 20 main figures / items from 2012, plus the re-releases DOS and BF/CM, which were like 6 of them, and 3 extra 2012 figures, for a total of 29 items in 2012 from Matty (one was Granamyr). I know I didn't sub last year, but I spent a lot of money on MOTUC, that went to profit over the subscribers dough, as did many many other pickers. I only bought the sub to guarantee Ram-Man, there is much from 2013 I could seriously care less about, but I suppose the figures I am actually keeping are worth not sitting DOS....but I could easily get them from BBTS as well....but whatever I will be selling the ones (or attempting to) I do not want, and it can offset the sub a bit.

    I also got the Filmation sub, because 2 of the 3 figures I really wanted, I just hope another is one I heard was supposed to be coming and that the other 2 will be good ones as well. But likely I will be keeping all of the Filmation figures in that sub, and only selling off Octavia, I just can't seem to like her. But I may keep her just to have all of the released Filmation figures. 2014 it's very likely if it happens, all I'll sub is for Filmation, because all that's left I need and want is Dragstor & Two Bad now once the revealed figures come throughout 2013. And those I can buy from BBTS, when and if they are made. If Two-bad is an SDCC exclusive, or something, even better I'll only need one more going into 2014, and what would be better yet, is they give me Dragstor in 2013 as well, and I can completely be done with MOTUC, aside from getting Filmation just to get them, in a Filmation sub from Matty or whatever come in the main sub from BBTS.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 13, 2013 at 11:32pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  17. #492
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I didn't hear of MOTUC until 2011, I've been on TFW2005 since 2007, and I never heard a word until I was looking at SDCC 2011 pics and saw someone carrying a MOTUC figure in the background of a Transformers pic....Before that I frequented Hot Wheels sites....and still nothing of MOTUC until 2011.

    I didn't spend my life on the internet then until I got into MOTUC, I was busy working, doing TF customs, and making music....toys were a background thing to me then, and actually still are except MOTUC, and now that Transformers is picking up again since pre DOTM for me.

    Not everyone lives online....people do have lives outside of toy collecting, it's not a be all end all of things....when I get bored I spend time on the Org here, otherwise I'm spending time with the wife and kid, working, working on customs, or working on writing music, or something else besides toy news.

    Not everyone eats, sleeps and ***** toys....Not everyone has to, to be a fan and a serious collector, that is what's silly. I get news on what lines at the time I collect, that is all that matters, and pre 2011 I never heard of MOTUC.
    First of, I use to spend almost no time on the internet at all,I did pick up a toy magazine every month. I work to and did back then,so don't get snarky with me. I love toys and always kept up with them. Those that did not fine,but most toy collectors at least looked at toy fair or comic con pictures,whether in print or online.

    I gotta tell you,I have learned real quick about who is who around here,you guys are all the same posters blasting Mattel and calling TG a liar on the Q&A thread.

    I can see now the little click with anti matty members,I will stay clear from now on.

    A lot of people work hard and still had time for hobbies,perhaps I am taking it wrong but that just seemed freaking rude to me.

    Also continually calling members apologists is a bit tired as well....not saying you,I saw it in the Q&A thread......but be ause I enjoy the line have had only one qc issue and I think the sub is the way to go some of you single us out and make yourselves the victim.

    Anyway,perhaps I took your post to sensitive,if so my apologies,but I can see there is a few of you I will never agree with,I will just leave it at that.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  18. #493
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,022
    I was wondering if they would do some thing like that also. I could also see them using the logic that Filmation Randor didn't sell well so Filmation figures aren't in as demand as people think they are.

    I also found it interesting you could pick up pretty much the entire royal family in about a two week time frame.

    Part of the problem is how much CS stock is there. But reading it again just now it just says they aren't doing any day of sales for Fangman. While they have said they don't want to hold figures, there isn't any statement I see that says he won't be offered at later date.

    Minus any statements toyguru has said in other places that I might just be forgetting about at the moment. I almost wouldn't be surprised to see him show up somehow after the 2014 subscription drive is done.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  19. #494
    Heroic Warrior FutureRetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I bought 19 figures / items from 2012, plus the re-releases DOS and BF/CM, which were like 6 of them. I know I didn't sub last year, but I spent a lot of money on MOTUC, that went to profit over the subscribers dough, as did many many other pickers. I only bought the sub to guarantee Ram-Man, there is much from 2013 I could seriously care less about, but I suppose the figures I am actually keeping are worth not sitting DOS....but I could easily get them from BBTS as well....but whatever I will be selling the ones (or attempting to) I do not want, and it can offset the sub a bit.

    I also got the Filmation sub, because 2 of the 3 figures I really wanted, I just hope another is one I heard was supposed to be coming and that the other 2 will be good ones as well. But likely I will be keeping all of the Filmation figures in that sub, and only selling off Octavia, I just can't seem to like her.
    I have been considering the Filmation subscription, as I really like two out of the three shown (the third one isn't bad either) and truth be told, six figures is a little easier to roll the dice on than 12+. My biggest issues are that I don't know the final 3 and I'm not a huge PoP fan AND shipping charges would be separate from my DoS purchases. So, it may be better for me to just take my chance on DoS and/or just grab the ones I really want on the secondary market.

  20. #495
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    MOTUC is the only toy line I have collected as an adult and I didn't find out about it until Jan 2010. I never looked up toys at all, until one I thought I'd like a vintage He-man and went to ebay and saw MOTUC there. I'm not saying I'm in the minority or majority, just saying how I came to the line. Had nothing to do with Mattel advertising or reaching out.
    Too funny, that's exactly how I found it - in 2010, looking for vintage PoP on eBay, and I came across Adora. Thought she was a custom, and I normally am not big on them, and then I realized it was a real figure. And here we are today - for most of 2010 I pretty much just picked up favorites and previous figs (mainly female, the few there were at the time), but then after BF/CM 2010 I got a tremendous amount, and today I am a subscriber who has every released production figure, except for Bronze King Grayskull (and I'll pick one up, someday).

    But I wonder, for every one of you and I, how many people go to MattyCollector, say "are you kidding me?" and never come back. Maybe pick up the one figure that caught their eye on eBay.

    I know it was like a little web to me - I figured out these were made by something called "matty collector", I went to the website, and it took me a good few minutes to realize it was Mattel's boutique online site (and I thought a snotty looking teenager was a weird mascot for an adult collectables site, LOL). When I finally got figure after figure "sold out" and trying to figure out what the heck WAS for sale, I stumbled across the sub info. I thought - are you serious, not in a million years. And then...yes, I slowly came into it. But I've spent easily five or six grand at this point (I used to know, it was like 4K at one point last year). That's a whole lot of money on a modern toy line - I would think people like us would be in the minority, those that put up with all of it and spend these huge amounts of money just to eventually get the figures we want.

  21. #496
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I went into the grocery store the other day to buy a tomato. I tried to pay for it at the register, but the clerk told me that I needed to buy an onion, apple, pear, lettuce, and a piece of corn if I wanted that tomato. Yeah, obviously that didn't happen because that would be horrible marketing........but that's what this has come down to folks.
    I'm not absolutely sure that is an apt analogy. To me, this is more akin to going to the grocery store, locating a box of Lucky Charms and at the register, telling the clerk you only want the yellow moons and green clovers from the box.

    Despite the way they come out one at a time, once or so a month, what is being offered to us is, in fact, a set. A collection of items larger than one.

    Does it suck that they've had to go this drastic but, to them, necessary step in order to make sure the project goes through? Absolutely. I don't think anyone is gloating over this situation. It sucks, but it is what it is. No, not everyone can afford to sub, especially two separate subs, but again, it just is what it is. Should those people who wanted the figure but hadn't subscribed be upset? Absolutely. Disappointed? Absolutely. Angry? I can't stand in the way of feeling that way, but given the advanced warning of this possibility and the shaky outlook of the line, I don't personally understand it.

    I truly do hope that down the line, when they inevitably put remaining stock, CS and otherwise, up on Matty as re-releases, that everyone who did want him but still hadn't gotten him by then will be able to. I also truly do hope that, as someone mentioned earlier, this will convince more online retailers to beef up their orders so that cherry-pickers will still have the opportunity to purchase the figures they want at a reasonable price, as opposed to the premature inflation that's already going on with this figure on Ebay.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

  22. #497
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    I'm not absolutely sure that is an apt analogy. To me, this is more akin to going to the grocery store, locating a box of Lucky Charms and at the register, telling the clerk you only want the yellow moons and green clovers from the box.

    My analogy was fine. At the beginning of the line, everybody was able to come into the store and purchase what they wanted, just like you could go into a grocery store and buy the food that you need. Each figure is not a "set". There is no exact "complete collection", because everyone has their own opinion to what is complete. So I stick by my analogy that every figure is like a piece of fruit or vegetable.

    Apples sell better than kiwi. It's not like grocery stores make you buy a kiwi if you want some apples, just because the kiwi doesn't sell as many and may go bad on the shelf costing the store money.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  23. #498
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    First of, I use to spend almost no time on the internet at all,I did pick up a toy magazine every month. I work to and did back then,so don't get snarky with me. I love toys and always kept up with them. Those that did not fine,but most toy collectors at least looked at toy fair or comic con pictures,whether in print or online.

    I gotta tell you,I have learned real quick about who is who around here,you guys are all the same posters blasting Mattel and calling TG a liar on the Q&A thread.

    I can see now the little click with anti matty members,I will stay clear from now on.

    A lot of people work hard and still had time for hobbies,perhaps I am taking it wrong but that just seemed freaking rude to me.

    Also continually calling members apologists is a bit tired as well....not saying you,I saw it in the Q&A thread......but be ause I enjoy the line have had only one qc issue and I think the sub is the way to go some of you single us out and make yourselves the victim.

    Anyway,perhaps I took your post to sensitive,if so my apologies,but I can see there is a few of you I will never agree with,I will just leave it at that.
    You guys?

    I just call it as I see it. I don't speak for any of the other "guys", just me. I never use the term "apologists" when posting. I am not anti Mattel, or Scott, I am anti ********....or BS....Unlike some, I have never called for Scott's job, nor have I saw a use to ever do so, I recognize Scott made this line possible for the most part, not entirely, but for the most part. Now the design team head....that's another issue entirely.

    And I said nothing about anyone not taking time for other things but toys, I said not everyone devotes a lifetime to toys, meaning not everyone is glued to the computer seeking any bit of toy news they can find 24/7. I never referred to you or anyone specifically. Just the premise about "No way would most people have missed motuc news from sdcc 2008 on." part.

    And or the record....I am a subscriber. Both 2013 main sub and now the Filmation sub, so I am no victim, and as far as Scott goes, I call it as I see it too, I read almost every post he makes, and I know when he goes back on something or side steps to make it seem like something was never said, that was. I will not defend a company that does what Mattel does, I know Mattel is not exclusive, but Mattel is the only company that I buy from where they have a face to their lines that communicates, and most of what Scott says and how he replies, is Rude and arrogant.

    I read before I post, so when it comes to something Scott said, I have quotes to back it up, if not I don't post against it, other than an opinion of mine.

    So don't group me with others, I am just as positive about many things as I can be critical....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  24. #499
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    First of, I use to spend almost no time on the internet at all,I did pick up a toy magazine every month. I work to and did back then,so don't get snarky with me. I love toys and always kept up with them. Those that did not fine,but most toy collectors at least looked at toy fair or comic con pictures,whether in print or online.
    Actually, I do think you may have taken it a bit personally - I think his statements were in response to you and a few others who insist that anyone who didn't know about this line after SDCC 2008 is somehow in the minority - and you are seeing post after post of people saying their personal story is otherwise.

    Basically, a lot of us didn't collect modern toys, or newly produced stuff in this category, so we wouldn't have gone to sites about new toys to hear about MOTUC. ShadowFall hung out at Transformers forums, I followed Star Wars stuff (lightly), and those are pretty insular communities (you can go to sites that just talk about them and nothing else).

    As to magazines, well, since I didn't collect new toys I didn't buy Toy Fare - and in fact, I really haven't read magazines regularly since the turn of the century. (I used to buy a dozen a week, until the Internet.)

    There is this prevailing thought of some around here that if you like He-man or She-ra at all, you are a member here. The truth is, to begin with - most people have free email addresses these days, and the most common thing I hear when I mention or hear others talk about .ORG anywhere else is, "oh yeah, I couldn't register for that site" or "yeah I used some old ISP email and I don't have it anymore, so I didn't bother" when it comes to the forum.

    I came here for years to use some of the archival resources, but didn't feel the need to register until I began collecting MOTUC - and even then, I was at MattyCollector's forums much more before I finally settled over here. Add to that the "political" reasons some people may not come here, and the fact that I am sure there are people who have subbed and bought every single figure and subbed every year who have never uttered a word on a forum about it, or even registered.

    We have to remember that tens of millions of people, boys, girls, toy collectors, people that haven't bought toys since they are 7, all over the spectrum, who grew up on these properties. We can hardly be the only ones out of those tens of millions of people who would think it was neat to own these figures, even if they were just buying them for their kids. Every parent I know who regularly watches Netflix with their kids has seen one of my figures, or heard me talk about it, and said, "OMG, I saw that on Netflix and my X-year old loves it!" Netflix doesn't have THAT much kids stuff, and they tend to get through it quickly - and there are easily hundreds of thousands, of not millions of kids, who have watched the show that way in the last few years.

    There is an audience besides .ORG members, or even people who currently purchase newly produced action figures.

    All that said, I have always thought the "master plan" here *is* to re-use these molds someday. They learned their lesson when they had to bootleg their own figures to make the "commemorative" line. Although Scott pleads "small tiny line" a lot, as many have pointed out - 100 figures is not a "tiny" line, by any use of the imagination. They are pumping out these puppies like crazy. There are an incredible amount of parts all tool'd and ready to go. They could produce as many as they want rather cheaply now, comparatively.

    If and when a movie happens, I'm sure there will be a "movie masters" style line with a few select characters, but by and large unless you are talking high-end collectables (Sideshow, Hot Toys, etc.) the movie-accurate stuff doesn't sell as well at retail because, frankly, until you get into that larger scale, it's hard to make a good looking likeness a lot of the time to attract adult collectors, and kids just seem to prefer the more "iconic" looking stuff (look at how well all that ImagineNext DC stuff sells - Cripes, they have a Batcave, a Joker playset, on and on - I have come thisclose to buying some for the playsets alone).

    So my guess is, these molds will return sooner or later, either as a retail "kids" MOTU line to go with any movie, along with a "movie masters" much smaller one, or they can use the molds for just about any other line they want to invent - and basically we have been financing this the whole time.

    It's funny, the same people that say, "It's through the love and good will and blessings of Scott and the execs who let him do it, they could make a lot more money investing in Batman or Barbie" that this line is even alive, are the same people who say "Mattel is a company, they owe it to their stockholders to pull every ruthless trick they can to increase revenues for this line".

    One of these things, is not like the other.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    So don't group me with others....
    Yeah, I think you and I are agreeing here, but aren't we still, like, fighting or something from a thread that I honestly can't remember which one at the moment?

    This must be one of those episodes where a good guy has to team up with a bad guy to defeat a common foe?

    Since I'm being nice I won't say which one of us is the good guy, and which one of you is the bad guy.

  25. #500
    Heroic Warrior maa5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    97
    For those non-subbers, I'm sure Fang Man will appear later for purchase during a Mad Matty, or Black Friday, or whatever.
    Just like others have said, Scott/Mattel have decided to punish those of you who didn't sub and/or scare the rest of us to sub the Filmation line. We're not idiots that are beneath you Mattel.

    Yes, I've had one subscription since the beginning, but that is only because it got increasingly frustrating dealing with the more and more collectors/scalpers who were purchasing the figures and causing record sell outs. Not to mention the WSOD and DR issues that we're all sick of. I got the sub out of convenience, so that I can get one of every figure. Now that Ram Man is being released, I'm personally done after this year.

    But like Keldor, I took the day off of work to get him and She-Ra. I didn't get either at the time due to sell outs, and thus resorted to ebay. They've both been re-released several times, and now you can get that same original Keldor that was "sold out" when I was trying to buy him years ago next month. Thanks Mattel!

    Anyways, I understand why they've gone the sub route, so that they don't end up with too much unsold product. It's just that I'm tired of their excuses, promises, and these scare tactics. Don't be fooled.
    Last edited by maa5; February 14, 2013 at 12:17am.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •