Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 953

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

  1. #551
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    It depends on your state and the current laws... I believe Texas is one of the states that recently passed legislation requiring online retailers to collect sales tax, but I'm not 100% positive...
    Yeah, I've had to pay taxes on Matty stuff for about 4-6 months now when previously I did not have to here in Texas.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  2. #552
    Heroic Warrior KING HE-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sullivan City, Texas USA
    Posts
    133
    Well its been more than a year since I last bought something through Matty. I hope the shipping is not more than $10.
    The New King of Eternia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  3. #553
    Heroic Warrior J-West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the depths of the world unknown
    Posts
    450
    Edited, cause I asked a dumb question lol
    [CENTER]MOTUC WISH LIST
    *Two-Badd*~*Snake Armor He-Man*~*Tung Lashor*~200x Sorceresss~Calix ~*Mantenna*~*NA Skeletor*~*200x King Hisss*~*Ninjor* ~Evilseed

  4. #554
    Expect 10 inches Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,990
    Sooo, now the line essentially has multiple exclusives for the sub people? By not offering the figure (even in small amounts) to the general public... it has become an exclusive. If this happens when/if they release Rio Blast, I'm gonna be very upset. I don't have a sub, because I can't justify that amount of money on toys every year, not to mention limited space to store them. I mean really think about how much a sub is over the course of a year between the figures and shipping... It's not cheap and the price just keeps going up on the figures too. So I have decided to pick up the figures I like the most. Missed out on Sorceress, because she sold out so fast...

    I had a sub the first year they did them. I ended up with alot of stuff I really didn't need or want, so I had to trade or sell them. Now I have Carnivus and company, that I can't unload, taking up space in my closet lol
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

    Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

  5. #555
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,215
    Quote Originally Posted by KING HE-MAN View Post
    Well its been more than a year since I last bought something through Matty. I hope the shipping is not more than $10.
    Well, I hate to break it to you...but with tax it will be over $10 especially if you are getting both Ram Man and Jitsu.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  6. #556
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    In my case I was going to buy a subscription,but at the last minute could not. I did however lock in a Grayskull,site unseen and this is how people like myself are rewarded,by being left out all together on a figure. I am not mad,just disappointed,that this line has become a headache for me to collect. Just very disappointing. Congrats to the ones that could get a subscription at the time.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not even mad I'm gonna miss out on Fang-Man. I'm just disappointed and sad. I was really looking forward to him, and now I'm gonna have to go to the secondary market.

    Really, this line is becoming more and more difficult to collect each year, with the price increases in both figrures AND shipping, now us cherry-pickets get last dibs on everything. I couldn't get the sub for this year's figures because of financial reasons (but I did get the Filmation sub, though), and now I'm out of the figure I was waiting for the most this year. And I know it won't be the last time this happens. If this happens with Mantenna, it will royally suck.

  7. #557
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    If this happens with Mantenna, it will royally suck.
    Mantenna will have day of for sure, since he has so many unique parts. They will want to get the $$$'s spent on that tool back for sure. I think it's the non vintage MOTU/POP that won't get DOS quota (FFM, Karatti, NA He-Man and potentially Octavia) I bet Snake Face, Clamp Champ, Castaspella and Mantenna will do.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

  8. #558
    Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    The Dark Hemisphere
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    YES!!! I can get my 3 Strobo's with no worry, an extra Mekaneck I want, and have no problems selling my extra Fang-Man!!
    You're not backing out of the trade we arranged are you?
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

    please check out my fan fics at:

    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

  9. #559
    -World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Snake Mountain MI
    Posts
    990
    Sorry to hear about NO DOS option for Fang Man. Im a subber sure, but I did that to help save the line back during sdcc time. I simply CANT AFFORD everyone in this line so thats why I had to "cherry pick", so I get it. However, since I bit the bullet and subbed up during MOTUC's "time of need" I feel rewarded. Im not missing out on Fang Man and have a chance to snag Strobo early via early access. THATS COOL! Thanks Matty.
    However, I think its downright foolish for Matty not to offer a main Filmation character like Fang Man to potential new buyers when they are trying to swing/sell a Filmation subscription to the same said buyers? Its silly. If I were them I would have went back and made more strictly because of the new sub. Im sure production on Fangy was itsy bitsy due to less subscribers. I dont think this was done maliciously by the MAN over at Mattel, I just think its foolish and ill advised.
    Last edited by NastyNate; February 14, 2013 at 08:12pm.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

  10. #560
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    Sooo, now the line essentially has multiple exclusives for the sub people? By not offering the figure (even in small amounts) to the general public... it has become an exclusive. If this happens when/if they release Rio Blast, I'm gonna be very upset. I don't have a sub, because I can't justify that amount of money on toys every year, not to mention limited space to store them. I mean really think about how much a sub is over the course of a year between the figures and shipping... It's not cheap and the price just keeps going up on the figures too. So I have decided to pick up the figures I like the most. Missed out on Sorceress, because she sold out so fast...

    I had a sub the first year they did them. I ended up with alot of stuff I really didn't need or want, so I had to trade or sell them. Now I have Carnivus and company, that I can't unload, taking up space in my closet lol
    See that's the point some people will not get...You spend money to make the molds,etc then short pack them ON Purpose (That's for you JB) It doesn't make sense you spend $1000 to make everything then only get a return of $500 because you stopped it (Example JB)

    Now explain to me why that makes any business sense you might as well do this:



    I don't know off any company that does this on purpose you can actually make money and you choose not too??

  11. #561
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I don't know off any company that does this on purpose you can actually make money and you choose not too??
    You aren't thinking big picture.

    If they are intentionally shorting the Fang-Man stock (and let's face it, it's clear they are), they are doing so to sell a six figure subscription. So basically, they only need to convince ONE person to sub for every SIX they royally tick off to break even. And let's face it, the collectors of this line are WAY too eager for product for that scenario to play out. Chances are, it'll be more of a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio-meaning that Mattel is making several the money in subs they would have by having Fang-Man DoS. And seeing as how they will still likely unload the Fang-Man stock on a Mad Matty or Black Friday deal (or "unsold replacement stock" at a later date), they STILL aren't missing out on the Fang-Man sales.

    It's dirty. But I'll be damned if it isn't brilliant.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  12. #562
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It's dirty. But I'll be damned if it isn't brilliant.
    Its not dirty, its business. Other companies do it all the time, its just not as transparent because its done in a retail setting where you do not have access to the information like we do for MOTUC.

    Mattel's biggest mistake is being too transparent with a lot of what they do, no other toymaker on earth allows you this much access to knowing how the items are produced, the cost and the ins and outs. Hasbro does not, Bandai does not, NECA does not, and the list goes on and on.

    And for that Mattel gets crucified I think a bit more than if people were privy to the same information for toylines across the spectrum.

    Hell Nintendo and Apple pretty much do it everytime they release a new system, and it works virtually every time. Monster High from Mattel even benefits from the exact same system MOTUC runs on, people just do not realize it because its done on such a grand scale in retail.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  13. #563
    Heroic Warrior Atomicdios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    632
    Dirty tactics??? Is this the sense of "community" we were told to be a part of to support the line???? I know Fang Man will turn up in the near future but this kinda crap really aggravates me. I hope this backfires on them. I quit collecting this line as of now!

  14. #564
    Heroic Warrior Micro-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See that's the point some people will not get...You spend money to make the molds,etc then short pack them ON Purpose

    I don't know off any company that does this on purpose you can actually make money and you choose not too??
    I dunno, short-packing figures happens all the time with toys. WWE collectors often complain that Legends, Debut, and Divas figures almost always get packed 1-per-case or, in some instances, 1-per-every-other-case! Yokozuna, for example, was a 500+ lb "sumo" wrestler that required a 100% all-new sculpt and still, he was short-packed. Mattel's response is always, "There isn't enough demand to justify packing them evenly in cases".

    It looks like Matty might be doing the same to MOTUC production numbers, which doesn't make much sense. Short-packing occurs because of retailers who demand more mainstream figures to keep in stock. They're happy to see lots of Batman on the pegs because sooner or later, kids will pick them up. Secondary characters like Ra's-Al-Ghul, however, can rot for years because they're "boring".

    MOTUC doesn't need to run this system, though. Ok...Sub sales were down so the production numbers were dropped accordingly. That makes sense. But to anticipate NO DOS buyers is mind-boggling. Even Netossa, Mighty Spector, Cy-Chop, and the Star Sisters were bought up, despite negative fan reactions. I don't agree that Fang Man was a highly demanded Filmation figure (I'd say that he's more in the Top 20, than the Top 10, of wants lists) but there was a significant amount of fans who were eager to buy him.

    Instead of no-show's, Matty should at least make 100 figures available on DOS and watch them sell-out within minutes. At least cherry pickers get a shot at continuing to support the line. Mattel acts like the fans who didn't sub walked away from MOTUC and that's not necessarily true. Most just want to be selective with their purchases and there's nothing wrong with that.

    As a sub holder, I could let this go, sit here all cushy, and also say, "Sucks to be you!" but that's not only disrespectful to fellow collectors but short-sighted. Consider this: If production numbers are being made to just barely cover all of our subs, then we're only one major QC or distribution issue away from another Fisto Fiasco. If Fang Man gets wonky Spikor eyes or his tongue falls off as soon as you touch it, chances are CS stock will run out very very fast and we'll be stuck with another Goddess/Snout Spout ordeal. Spread this out throughout the year and our subs could potentially be a disaster...And then, everybody loses.

    The only club exclusive I signed up for is King He-Man and the Preternia map...Oh yeah, the mini-comic too! Since we made 2013 happen, there should be MOTUC products offered every month for both sub holders and cherry pickers alike. Fang Man is not a Club Eternia exclusive. Yes, it's cool for Matty to reward sub holders with perks, like the EA Strobo deal, but it shouldn't come at the expense of other collectors. Doing so only runs the danger of causing lower sales, more corners to get cut, more SKU's to get dropped, and ultimately hurting us all when we have the potential to have a couple of great years ahead!

  15. #565
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    125
    I know I don't post very often, but I had to throw my 2 cents in on this one... Even though I'm going to miss not having figures like Ram-Man and Jitsu, I decided to exit the line at the end of 2012, so this year I'm neither a cherry picker nor a subber. Last year I subbed, and the year before was when I discovered the line so I was a cherry picker by circumstance. So I've been in both groups' shoes, and I'm an impartial observer here.

    So even though I'm not impacted personally, this Fang Man thing really ****** me off. Yeah, it's business, but this is a complete **** move on behalf of Toyguru, plain and simple. True, TG set the expectation that some figures may not be available day of sale, but the implication was that it would be because they didn't have enough stock for DOS, not because they'd use a figure as a terrorist tactic to get people to purchase a sub. I'll bet all the money in my wallet against all the money in yours that no matter how many fewer units of Fang Man they made than units of Ram Man, Ram Man will sell out quicker on DOS than Fang Man ever would have.

    I work in a large corporation, and though I really like the company I work for, I know people like Toyguru. They'll act like your friend, and they're always happy to tell you how much they do for you, but when it comes down to you or them, they'll sell you out so fast you won't know what happened. TG has been feeling the pressure of the line potentially not making enough profit to justify Mattel continuing it and financing his dream job, so he pulls tactics like this to terrorize people into buying more product. You're either with him or against him in trying to keep this line alive, so this may be business for Mattel, but it's personal for TG.

    My advice to the people freaking out about not being able to buy Fang Man at Mattycollector is that there are plenty of people here at the org who will be selling them on ebay, so you may not get him for $25, but you shouldn't have to pay $125. Just be patient. And thanks to the free figures they shipped out last year, we know Matty doesn't like excess stock sitting around taking up valuable warehouse space, so they're not going to withhold them forever out of spite - they'll go on sale at some point. (The only question in my mind is if they'll put them up for pre-sale to subbers since technically after the release date they really wouldn't be that month's sub figure. I could see TG thinking that would be a great "reward" to his loyal subbers to let them buy up all the stock to gouge their fellow collectors on ebay. Not saying that anyone here has that mentality necessarily, just saying that TG would see that as something he'd be doing for "his" people.)

    Everyone who posts on this forum is here because they enjoy MOTU. Don't fight each other on this, there is one person and one person only who deserves criticism here.

  16. #566
    Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alicante, Spain
    Posts
    2,252
    All is about scary tactics. If the line is so bad as pretending, well no get Castle Grayskull or the Filmation sub. No one company wants to expand on no selling products, so no fear, youll see Fang-Man available anytime...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

    2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

  17. #567
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Mangar View Post
    I know people like Toyguru.
    Sure, but I bet those numbers dropped to rock bottom long before the sub sales did.

  18. #568
    Heroic Warrior The Horrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Posts
    871
    It's such a shame that after a nice TF 2013 most fans are putting Scott/Mattel in the garbage again because of their so called manipulation and scare tactics. This was known for a long time and Mattel doesn't make a secret out of it. They are a company that need to make a profit. The MOTUC-line gives them little profit or it breaks even. They are not a charity foundation and they don't need to. They probably produced the Fang Man figure in lower quantities because many fans think the figure is ridiculous or out of place in the line. And if I was introducing a subscription based on obscure cartoon characters I would make sure that sales will be as high as possibles so that maybe next year I could do another line-up of other obscure characters.
    Mattel is making no secret of how they try to do business. People just want to think it anyway.

    Edit: I would be ****** if they changed their rules after a subscription drive. Like if they would produce a Shadow Weaver figure or produce a reissue of a figure after Man-E-Faces, because then they will be lying to us.
    Last edited by The Horrorist; February 15, 2013 at 06:02am.

  19. #569
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,186
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Its not dirty, its business.
    And business often feels dirty. I'm not faulting them for it.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  20. #570
    Heroic Warrior eddie3429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kensington, Melbourne
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

    Now explain to me why that makes any business sense you might as well do this:

    http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/118...the-toilet.gif

    I don't know off any company that does this on purpose you can actually make money and you choose not too??
    In the quoted pure and simple form that is true, But in terms of making action figures its not exactly the case. a lot of folks say Hey if mattel make more figures they can sell more and make more profit right! in theory yes! in practice no!

    lets looks at this

    the amount of figures sold through subs justify design and manufacturing and net mattel a nice profit on the side.

    mattel can take the same sculpt and tooling and sell a few more on the side and make even more money since the main work of design is already done the figure will be alot cheaper and hence make more money for mattle!

    NO! Manufactoring is one of the MOST expensive parts of toy making, paying workers to connect each joints and paint each deco. the cost of that labor remains the same no matter how many figures you make.

    Mattle can make the safe pre sold amount of figures and make a profit or they can make extra and risk sitting on stock that cost them alot of money because they hoped it would sell and possibly lose money on that SKU.

    It seems to me Mattel is no longer gambling with this lines profit margins

    New Figure X from brand M

    X costs $1500 to design and manufacture 100units (100u)

    X costs $1000 for manufacture of an additional 100u

    M makes $5 profit for every u sold (sold at $15 per u)

    M gets pre orders form sub for 200u of figure X, cost $2500, income from sales $ 3000, (Income $3000 - cost $2500= $500 profit)

    Company M has made $500 profit ...

    M places order for another 200u for Day of sales Cost $2000, only half the units sell (100u), making the income 1500

    all round the venture made (3000+1500 +$4500) minus the cost of producing X (2500 + 2000 = 4500)

    4500- 4500 =$ 0

    In the end Company M would have been more profitable just selling the pre ordered product then making more and selling more , even if M was to cut back on the amount of extra figures by half for day of sale the cost of producing the figure means it wouldn't make any more profit then just selling them day of sale would

    Yes this is a simplified view but i hope it helps people understand the answer is not just as simple as "mattel just needs to make more figures "

  21. #571
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    It's such a shame that after a nice TF 2013 most fans are putting Scott/Mattel in the garbage again because of their so called manipulation and scare tactics. This was known for a long time and Mattel doesn't make a secret out of it.
    This is true and you are right. But the reality of it is much harder to swallow than what seemed (to me, at least) to be an idle threat when it was first mentioned. When I read the whole, "Some figures might not even be available for DOS" back during the sub run, the back-of-my-mind thought was that he was saying some of the less popular figures were going to get shorter runs than in past years, making day-of sell-outs extremely fast. I was expecting more a luck-of-the-draw scenario, not one in which, a full month before the sale, Mattel is telling us that a figure is suddenly a sub exclusive. The reality of that, coupled with it happening just as they're promoting the FILMation sub, comes across as extremely underhanded and shows a real lack of care for fans who genuinely love the line but, for a myriad of reasons, don't/can't support the subscription model.

  22. #572
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    This is true and you are right. But the reality of it is much harder to swallow than what seemed (to me, at least) to be an idle threat when it was first mentioned. When I read the whole, "Some figures might not even be available for DOS" back during the sub run, the back-of-my-mind thought was that he was saying some of the less popular figures were going to get shorter runs than in past years, making day-of sell-outs extremely fast. I was expecting more a luck-of-the-draw scenario, not one in which, a full month before the sale, Mattel is telling us that a figure is suddenly a sub exclusive. The reality of that, coupled with it happening just as they're promoting the FILMation sub, comes across as extremely underhanded and shows a real lack of care for fans who genuinely love the line but, for a myriad of reasons, don't/can't support the subscription model.
    You (and people posting in similar tones to you) really need to stop thinking like this. Companies care for customers because they are consuming product. They care more for customers who consume more product. That really is the limit of how much any company cares for its customers. If you love the line and don't buy (for instance) FFM, you are funding their coffers exactly as much as someone who has never even heard of the line on that month.

    And despite what people see as underhanded practices, spotty quality control, poor shipping and logistics, and bad customer service, they always have the fallback of a (usually) fantastic product and a rabid fanbase.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  23. #573
    Heroic Warrior ADPriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    437
    I understand why some people are subbers and some are 'cherry pickers' for a variety of reasons.

    What I don't understand is why some cherry pickers feel that they should be able to buy any figure they so choose on or around sale date for a similar price to people who ponied up and committed to a sub.

    The reality is that there are various other places to buy these figures from, granted, at a premium - however this is the risk you take by not subbing. Paying a little bit more for the figure you want should offset you not having to pay for and resell figs you don't.

    Also - the likelihood is that FM will be available sometime down the line either as customer service stock or in a Mad Matty sale if they are patient.

  24. #574
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    You (and people posting in similar tones to you) really need to stop thinking like this. Companies care for customers because they are consuming product. They care more for customers who consume more product. That really is the limit of how much any company cares for its customers. If you love the line and don't buy (for instance) FFM, you are funding their coffers exactly as much as someone who has never even heard of the line on that month.
    If the customer base is not there to support a product like the FFM on their own, Mattel shouldn't make them. Mattel is peppering the line with figures that don't have the customer support to sell on their own, so instead via the sub model, they are FORCING people to buy them. Some people don't mind, because they want those figures. Some of us don't want them, and shouldn't be forced to buy them in order to get the figures we do want. And you're wrong comparing me to someone who doesn't buy the FFM. I bought MOTU figures in the 80s as a kid; I bought almost the entire 200x line; I own around 40 of the MOTUC figures. I do contribute to Mattel's coffers, but now they're intentionally cutting me (and others like me) off simply because I don't subscribe. It's completely unfair if Mattel, like you, only looks at me on a month-by-month sales basis; that's completely short-sighted and cutting off a segment of people who DO want to support the line.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    What I don't understand is why some cherry pickers feel that they should be able to buy any figure they so choose on or around sale date for a similar price to people who ponied up and committed to a sub.
    For MOTUC, I'm a cherry picker, but for DCIE and Watchmen, I'm a subber. And I don't have any problem whatsoever with people cherry-picking the figures from those lines. In my mind, the bonus of subbing to DCIE was guaranteeing I'd get figures each month without having the hassle of dealing with DR or the WSOD, getting a slight break in the price of each figure, and getting the sub exclusive figure (which was announced beforehand). People who chose to cherry pick DCIE made the choice to risk missing figures on sale day, passed on the sub exclusive, and yes, in fact risked the longevity of the line by not subscribing. But that's their choice. And I don't think Mattel ought to punish them by purposely withholding product from them on sale day.

  25. #575
    Heroic Warrior ADPriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    437
    For MOTUC, I'm a cherry picker, but for DCIE and Watchmen, I'm a subber. And I don't have any problem whatsoever with people cherry-picking the figures from those lines. In my mind, the bonus of subbing to DCIE was guaranteeing I'd get figures each month without having the hassle of dealing with DR or the WSOD, getting a slight break in the price of each figure, and getting the sub exclusive figure (which was announced beforehand). People who chose to cherry pick DCIE made the choice to risk missing figures on sale day, passed on the sub exclusive, and yes, in fact risked the longevity of the line by not subscribing. But that's their choice. And I don't think Mattel ought to punish them by purposely withholding product from them on sale day.[/QUOTE]


    I totally agree with you that it isnt fair of Mattel to 'punish' a section of the fanbase - however I think what I was trying to get at was that there are other ways and means of picking up these figs either from resellers like BBTS or ebay or if you are patient they will likely show up in the future.

    If it is so imperitaive for some cherry pickers have to have a particular figure on day one then they will have to pay secondary market prices - unfortunately that's the deal if you can't/don't want to commit to a sub.

    Mattel have been edging towards the sub only model for a long time and the warning signs have been there. Admittedly the execution and timing could have been handled better but this has been hinted at for a long time now.

    On a more positive note - Strobo looks great and fingers crossed there is as many of him on offer as there were TOD Sorceresses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •