Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    Plastic is made out of oil...
    Ssshhh! Don't tell people that plastic is made out of petrochemicals! Let them think it goes on plastic trees. Ignorance is bliss, remember?
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    From my recollection, Castle Grayskullman was the only 30th Ann fig that sold out, wasnt it? So maybe they are trying to be more cautious with the new Filmation stuff.
    CGM and Draego-Man, I think; i.e., basically the two best figures from that sub-line (so not really surprising). Oh, and TG tried to make us believe that his Spector was a runaway success, too... (after all, he's the main character in his MotUC "time-wars" fan-pulp-fiction).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    If everyone saw everything in black and white like you do, I'd hate to think what kinda place the world would be in. I'm a subber but I can show some sympathy to those who CAN ONLY afford to buy their favourite characters. Not even mentioning the subscribers who want extras!
    I don't see where I'm showing a lack of sympathy. Quite the opposite. Ignoring the simple truth of the situation and the personal responsibility of each person in the choices they make does not mean someone is being more empathetic towards someone else. Nor does pointing out that choice make someone apathetic. I realize the truth might be inconvenient if someone just wants to be mad about this, but since you aren't arguing against this "black and white" viewpoint in this particular instance (instead, making an emotional appeal by conflating my viewpoint on this with some cold, logical worldview which couldn't be farther from how I actually view the world, so therefor is not particularly affective a diversion) I assume you acknowledge that it is so?

I don't like to see people upset or frustrated and I fully understand if some people are. If people want to be annoyed at the tactical move that Mattel has made here (if it is one, which it seems like it is) I can totally understand that, too. I can see the positives for Mattel (and us) and the negatives. I do think for all the sound and fury that people will go through, this move might actually be effective for selling subs in 2014 and perhaps selling more Filmation subs. Do I like this tactic? I'm not sure. If it truly helps the line in the long run, I'm always for sustaining the line and at least giving people the chance to buy these figures (even at higher prices) rather than them not being made at all. But I do feel bad for the people who get frustrated or left behind in the process.

What I'm saying is someone going so far as saying they've been cheated or swindled here just seems a touch too far. I just don't feel like that's the case.

Anyway, that's all I'll say on that. I usually try not to get too into these sort of debates, but as someone who reads every post in this section, it's hard to keep my gob shut at times! I really hope it hasn't seemed too harsh, I'm just trying to state my viewpoint here as precisely as possible because sometimes I do think it's important for these things to be said.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Also, I can see them pulling this move with a lot of the figures in the Filmation sub. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Also, I can see them pulling this move with a lot of the figures in the Filmation sub. Not good.
    Then people should sign up for the subscription now. Simple solution.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    LOL... yep, that is Mattel's answer and exactly what I do... I have two subs because I want two of some figures, but not all of them.
    I would've did that but I don't think my poor ass can afford two subs. Especially on those crazy expensive months.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

It makes me sad to see this. I hate transparently cruel marketing tactics like this. But the sad fact is, for ol' fashioned companies like Mattel, they work.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    So this is the beginning of the end for “cherry pickers”. We all knew Mattel were eventually going to do everything in their power to put an end to them once and for all. This is just the start. It’s terrible, really. I can’t defend this tactic. Yes, I am a subscriber this year, but I have previously been a cherry picker before, so I can very much see both sides of the coin. I've noticed that a lot of "subbers" are basically giving off a "live with it" vibe. Incredibly easy to say when your on the right side of the fence. I feel that that is needlessly ruthless. This is really, really sad. Fang-Man has been wanted since day one by an awful lot of people. This is truly terrible, I'm sorry.

I believe that the only difference between us and the wildlings is that when that Wall went up, our ancestors happened to live on the right side of it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Monster High Crazy Detective Lubic's Avatar
    People should be careful about saying "there will be a few extra for sale" of course the made extra's and there will be Customer Service Stock left over. But the Rub will be that they will only offer the extra's Fang Mans For " Sub Holder Early Access" Down the Road. I believe there will never be any Fang Man for day of sale and I would look to other avenues before prices go up.

So this is the beginning of the end for “cherry pickers”. We all knew Mattel were eventually going to do everything in their power to put an end to them once and for all. This is just the start. It’s terrible, really. I can’t defend this tactic. Yes, I am a subscriber this year, but I have previously been a cherry picker before, so I can very much see both sides of the coin. I've noticed that a lot of "subbers" are basically giving off a "live with it" vibe. Incredibly easy to say when your on the right side of the fence. I feel that that is needlessly ruthless. This is really, really sad. Fang-Man has been wanted since day one by an awful lot of people. This is truly terrible, I'm sorry.
    Quoted for truth. Instead of trying to increase their customer base, Mattel is actively and aggressively alienating a significant portion of the fanbase. I can clearly see this backfiring on them, just like the Weavergate. This is not going to increase Filmation sub sales, quite the contrary: many would-be subbers that for whatever reason do not have a 2013 Club Eternia sub (maybe because they are fans of Filmation only and do not have any need for FFM, Snake Face, Karatti, Geldor, etc.) will be totally put off by the unavailability of this highly requested and anticipated Filmation character.

And I say this as an all-inclusive collector and 2013 subber (who was a cherry picker during 2012 because I only started collecting the line during last year's Mad Matty March sale, so I had to pay big bucks for a Shadow Weaver and still don't have a Fisto nor a Teela).

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    It makes me sad to see this. I hate transparently cruel marketing tactics like this. But the sad fact is, for ol' fashioned companies like Mattel, they work.
    Me too.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; February 12, 2013 at 11:01pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

My sub better not get cancelled....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Quoted for truth. Instead of trying to increase their customer base, Mattel is actively and aggressively alienating a significant portion of the fanbase. I can clearly see this backfiring on them, just like the Weavergate. This is not going to increase Filmation sub sales, quite the contrary: many would-be subbers that for whatever reason do not have a 2013 Club Eternia sub (maybe because they are fans of Filmation only and do not have any need for FFM, Snake Face, Karatti, Geldor, etc.) will be totally put off by the unavailability of this highly requested and anticipated Filmation character.
    Yep. This is the reason why, even as a subscriber who will get his Fang-Man, I find this move by Mattel incredibly hard to swallow. Of course, that’s exactly why they’ve done this, because Fang-Man is quite possibly one of the most anticipated figures in the history of the line. That just makes this even worse. I don’t know what else to say. This is terrible and, for sure, will alienate a lot of people.

Basically, they're telling people who pick and choose which items they want for whatever reason to bog off. I find that sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    RE: No day-of Fang Man.

yodafreakmaster to the rescue! I'm sure he will have a few to sell. He has like...what...50 subs?
    That is an excellent point!!! Yoda Freak Master can help all Brother and Sister collectors here that have missed out! All the people who missed out here should bug him ASAP!
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

This all makes me laugh.

Matty Collector: "Eat it, non-subbers"

Great way to start some serious boo-boo with the collectors.

This will NOT help the line in any way.

:/

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I love it! Scott clearly stated that some 2013 figures would have zero day of stock during the 2013 subscription drive. This may tick off some people, but it could go a long way to making the 2014 subscription happen if people fear they could miss out on some figures unless they sign up.
    That's the exact same reasoning behind the choice of Shadow Weaver as the 2012 sub exclusive. Real-life result of said marketing strategy: COMPLETE FAILURE. 2012 had the lowest subscription numbers up to that point.

But I suppose some people rejoice in the knowledge that some other fellow fans will not be allowed to buy some of their childhood favorites because for whatever reason (being under tight economic constraints, being a latecomer to the party, not being interested in everything, etc.) they did not or could not commit over half a thousand dollars sight-unseen last summer. (FYI, I have two 2013 subs.)
    Last edited by uaxuctum; February 12, 2013 at 11:16pm.

I'm very excited to get Strobo so early! This is awesome.

re: Fang Man. Obviously a cheap ploy by Mattel to sell subs. I'll be honest, if I was a cherry picker (which I am at heart), I wouldn't care at all about not getting Fang Man. lol. I still don't even know if I'm keeping mine. He's a neat figure, but not necessary for me.

For those missing out: all I can say is, everything is available on the secondary market, including the org's own marketplace. If you want it, you can get it. And you won't have to deal with matty, which is a plus. I'm sure in this case it won't be a problem getting this figure. It's Fang Man. Who?

It's a shame people are piling on the cherry pickers here. They have every right to be disappointed, even if they knew it was coming at some point. All this smugness will disappear when subbers are BEGGING people to buy subs this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    I'm very gald that MATTEL is finally rewarding all time subscribers. They have stated over and over again that their business model is based on subscriptons, it's only fair that they reward those people that made MOTUC possible...
    I have to agree with this. I have been a loyal subscriber since the first mini-one. I am glad Scott/Matty are actually walking the talk when they said the sub holders would get extra benefits unavailable to others like early access. I had been thinking the early access was just a load of hyped up hooey to get early access to re-releases I already own. But this news of Strobo is great. As far as Fang Man is concerned I am glad I am going to get him!

It's a bummer others won't be able to get him but everyone WAS warned.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    That's the exact same reasoning behind the choice of Shadow Weaver as the 2012 sub. Real-life result: 2012 had the lowest subscriptions numbers up to that point.
    It's an interesting point. Do these kind of tactics actually work? I'm not sure. I'm not sure your example totally works as an example of it not working though. The price seemed to be the biggest factor in the decline of subs from the polls that were taken at the time. In a weird way, you now have people clamoring for the sub exclusive for 2014 to be an important character rather than a more hardcore focused character!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I would've did that but I don't think my poor ass can afford two subs. Especially on those crazy expensive months.
    I completely understand, I lost my 2012 subscription at the end because my poor credit card couldn't take one big month we had (Oct I think)
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior
    This is my first year as a subscriber and I'll say up front, the reveal of Fang Man was THE single most thing that made me decide to jump in. The reason I did was because I had already learned how hard it is to get some of the DOS figures and I didn't want to lose my chance on him.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    I'm a subscriber, but Fang Man not offered in the sale day is not a good sign.
    Last edited by Morningstar; February 12, 2013 at 11:28pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7q2GT8mf_m..._Lannister.JPG
    I believe that the only difference between us and the wildlings is that when that Wall went up, our ancestors happened to live on the right side of it.
    It's not the same. Sub holders CHOSE their side of the wall. The poor wildling were left with The Others and did not made any decision about that. My guess is they would have chosen the other side...
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Part of me hopes that the Fighting Foe Men end up without day of sales. After all of the "we hate the FFM and we didn't sub because of the FFM" stuff, I would be interested to see if that tune changed suddenly.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Imagine the backlash if they did this with Ram Man instead of Fang Man?

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Mattel don't want to earn money or what? Maybe they earn to much with the subscribers...