Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 953

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

  1. #126
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,702
    As others have already said

    1. They promised this would happen when selling the sub to us last summer. Only problem is they kept their promise. People assumed this would only apply to figures they might not want like Netossa and Fighting Foe Men.

    2. Of course subscribers are going to get perks over cherry pickers. The two groups are not equal.

  2. #127
    Heroic Warrior MC Modulok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    374
    Awesomesauce. Strobo is one of my favourites.

  3. #128
    Heroic Warrior Keldor5579's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    230
    Honestly, I don't know why anyone would feel bad about this decision as a subber?? You are getting Fang Man because you antied up to save the line from what we all thought would be done for if we didn't meet minimum quota. Not to mention TG saying over and over that this could possibly happen. Scare tactic or not, I'm happy I subbed for 2 and I'm thrilled that we are getting rewarded for doing our part. The cherry pickets are going to complain and that's ok, but where were they when we "thought" we needed that extra push to save the line. I personally have a wife and a baby on the way and can't really afford subbing this line at all, let alone the two filmation subs I picked up. I deserve some exclusives and so do all of you other subbers. I don't feel bad one bit, I think this is a perfect move by Mattel. Show up or go home. This line will only continue if we keep subbing. I think this is something we all better get used to seeing.

  4. #129
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,502
    Fang Man is on E-Bay already and look at the BIN..........

    Do you think this would happen if he had been a regular figure?

  5. #130
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    It could also always backfire too though and they may **** some people off and they may just give up.
    I quit the line because of the threat at last year's SDCC. I'm so glad I did because I'd be so angry right now if I had kept buying figures.

    Some are saying that people shouldn't be upset because Mattel said this would happen. Well, people shouldn't be surprised, but they can still be upset because it's a rotten decision to make.

  6. #131
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Ssshhh! Don't tell people that plastic is made out of petrochemicals! Let them think it goes on plastic trees. Ignorance is bliss, remember?
    And you are both crazy because I said rare "mineral" - and oil is not a mineral. Look it up.

    It's not even all that rare, but it's subject to artififical scarcity by those in control of it. Kinda like...Mattel. Hmmm, isn't the world a great place where Mattel uses the same tactics as one of the most hated industries in the world - to sell toys.

    They should be so proud.

  7. #132
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    3,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Also, I can see them pulling this move with a lot of the figures in the Filmation sub. Not good.
    Well duh! It says right on the page.

    http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/store/mattycol/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29372800/productID.273148800

    Benefits of Club Filmation

    This series is a must-have for every Masters of the Universe® collector and you won’t want to miss a single figure! Production quotas for this line will be extremely limited and figures may or may not be made available during the regular monthly sales at MattyCollector.com. Along with the peace of mind you’ll have knowing you’re guaranteed to get every figure and avoid sellouts (that is, if they’re even offered during our monthly sales!), purchasing a subscription to Club Filmation brings you these rewards:

  8. #133
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    You are correct that they did use as a sub lure the threat that this would happen, however - all this "artificial scarcity" nonsense is entirely "their fault". It's a situation they intentionally create to manipulate the market and the fan base. It's not like there is some government restriction that says how many figures Matty can make, or some unseen "Horde Prime"-like force that dictates how many of each figure Mattel can produce, or, more accurately, how many they can choose to sell at this time.

    I'm a sub holder, I only wanted one, so I really don't care - but I cannot help but touch these facts:

    1) I do not believe they have ever announced a sale for the next month before we even got through this month.

    2) They are currently pushing a Filmation sub, of which this figure is of that "faction".

    3) No where does it say its "gone forever", or a factory issue, or any other statement that leads one to believe that they CAN'T sell more, but that they very well could be choosing it to at this time.

    4) Scott knew full well this Filmation sub would be coming when it was, long ago - it's very possible that if there actually are not more figures to be sold at a later date that it was completely intentional, because...

    5) All this scarcity nonsense is completely planned, generated, and maintained at the sole will of Scott/Mattel/etc. - there are no rare minerals at use here, there are no external forces dictating this, it's a completely invented and fabricated way for them to corner collectors into feeling they must have a sub, because they will not do business any other way than the flawed blind-sub model.

    So I don't see any way this is not their "fault" - they may have threatened it previously, I will grant you - but it is entirely a situation of their own making.
    Well said.

  9. #134
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,009
    Oooo Strobo in March with early Access.
    It will be great getting strobo shipped to my house monthes before he goes to any convention

  10. #135
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Molgran View Post
    This is the classic dirty game! I'm sick of it! Enough! I'm out!
    I quit after Spikor (I bought 90% of the figures up until him) and I only really miss it every now and then. Mostly I feel good that I can spend those THOUSANDS of dollars coming due over the next couple of years on other things like film equipment.

  11. #136
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Fang Man is on E-Bay already and look at the BIN..........

    Do you think this would happen if he had been a regular figure?
    WHOA! That's more than Shadow Weaver! Craziness. Anyway, I'm glad I subbed this year but I was a cherry picker last year and have to say, there are always resonable people on the org looking to offload at cost plus shipping so just hit the market place.

  12. #137
    Heroic Warrior MC Modulok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    374
    It's great that Mattel has finally put their money where their mouth is after all the scare tactics. It also means for subscribers who weren't thrilled by King He-Man... well, enjoy your exclusive Fang Man instead!

  13. #138
    Heroic Warrior evenflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Jersey Represent
    Posts
    4,264
    I hope i can get a Strobo. I imagine early access will be packed.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

  14. #139
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    $139.00 for Fang Man on evilBay!!!

    Man am I glad I got a sub this year.

    Now sold out on BBTS too!!

  15. #140
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I love it! Scott clearly stated that some 2013 figures would have zero day of stock during the 2013 subscription drive. This may tick off some people, but it could go a long way to making the 2014 subscription happen if people fear they could miss out on some figures unless they sign up.
    Or it could backfire immensely.

    I really only need Dragstor & Two-Bad, and that is it for anything I truly need from MOTUC....so 2014 may be out for me I believe....BBTS, will be my supplier next year, if those two appear.

    My sig list and previous wanted / needed list is almost complete thanks to Batros, Icer, Mantenna, Castaspella & 2012....I can walk away after getting the last 2 I need, then again, all the 2013 reveals are not over yet, so Dragstor or Two-Bad may still appear.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 13, 2013 at 12:00am.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  16. #141
    Heroic Warrior Wakko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Some are saying that people shouldn't be upset because Mattel said this would happen. Well, people shouldn't be surprised, but they can still be upset because it's a rotten decision to make.
    Exactly. And even subbers should be upset about this.

    I understand that some figures sell better than others. It's a no-brainer that Ram-Man is going to sell more day-of figures than, say, Netossa. And I'm sure Mattel produced fewer Netossa figures than Ram-Man figures in anticipation of this. But did they honestly have a meeting and say, "Based on our sales data, we anticipate that Fang Man is going to sell ZERO figures day-of"?

    Of course not. What they're doing is drumming up artificial scarcity so that more people will subscribe next year. Forcing people to commit more than $500 on a set of figures, more than half of which they don't even know the identity of. That's low.

  17. #142
    Heroic Warrior jzachery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,349
    As a sub holder, I feel really good about how Mattel has been handling this. I mean, we're getting early access to Strobo, and we're guaranteed figures every month without hassle. This was announced time and again. I love that cherry pickers feel that they are entitled to choose every month if they want the figure or not, at the risk of the line.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

  18. #143
    Eternian Collector Asher99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I quit after Spikor (I bought 90% of the figures up until him) and I only really miss it every now and then. Mostly I feel good that I can spend those THOUSANDS of dollars coming due over the next couple of years on other things like film equipment.
    Yep, it's clear from all your comments that you are so glad about quitting MOTUC...
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

  19. #144
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Exactly. And even subbers should be upset about this.

    I understand that some figures sell better than others. It's a no-brainer that Ram-Man is going to sell more day-of figures than, say, Netossa. And I'm sure Mattel produced fewer Netossa figures than Ram-Man figures in anticipation of this. But did they honestly have a meeting and say, "Based on our sales data, we anticipate that Fang Man is going to sell ZERO figures day-of"?

    Of course not. What they're doing is drumming up artificial scarcity so that more people will subscribe next year. Forcing people to commit more than $500 on a set of figures, more than half of which they don't even know the identity of. That's low.
    Why would subbers be upset though? It increases the value of having a sub, adds to the perks, and encourages more subscriptions in the future as it really is the only way to guarentee you get a figure. I fail to see why that's upsetting. Besides, we don't know if it really is an artificial scarcity. Fang man has a lot of tooling and accessories. He may have been more expensive to produce than a lot of other figures so they may have made a lot less. Factor in the ones held back for CS and there may not have been enough to justify DOS. We were all told this was a very likely possibility so it shouldn't be upsetting at all. It is what it is. There are still plenty of retailers offering him at 39.99 (which isn't a big profit at all....$5) and I'm sure there are people that will have him listed in the Marketplace. Not everyone scalps. Bottom line, if you want the figure I'm sure you'll be able to get one regardless. We're lucky we even got figures with how close the sub sale was last year. I think it's a great thank you to those of us that stepped up to keep the line going. I know there are valid reasons that people can't sub, and I sympathize with that....I can barely do it myself.....but if you want a figure, there will be plenty of opportunities to get one. Nothing to worry about.

    I'm really happy to be getting Strobo early though. Zodak needs his head!

  20. #145
    Heroic Warrior Kowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Fang Man is on E-Bay already and look at the BIN..........

    Do you think this would happen if he had been a regular figure?
    Awww the sweet smell of Capitalism! Buy It Now for only $140.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Oooo Strobo in March with early Access.
    It will be great getting strobo shipped to my house monthes before he goes to any convention
    I hope there are enough Strobos to cover all the early access demand! I can already see the outrage of those that might miss out if they don't have enough. Scott said in the Pixel Dan walkthrough that only a "limited amount' of Strobo would be available for Early Access.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

  21. #146
    Eternian Collector Asher99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    As a sub holder, I feel really good about how Mattel has been handling this. I mean, we're getting early access to Strobo, and we're guaranteed figures every month without hassle. This was announced time and again. I love that cherry pickers feel that they are entitled to choose every month if they want the figure or not, at the risk of the line.
    That's exactly what drives me crazy about cherry pickers: they feel they have the right to choose whatever figure they want to buy while us subscribers carry out the line...I think is fair to say that subscribers are entitled to some privileges after all...
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

  22. #147
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,029
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Anyway, that's all I'll say on that. I usually try not to get too into these sort of debates, but as someone who reads every post in this section, it's hard to keep my gob shut at times! I really hope it hasn't seemed too harsh, I'm just trying to state my viewpoint here as precisely as possible because sometimes I do think it's important for these things to be said.
    Your point is correct that it's business at the end of the day. But saying 'That's life' is harsh and a very blunt way to sum things up for those less fortunate. Some folks have genuine reasons they cannot sub. These are toys and not necesseties in life of course, but I do feel it's alienating some fans from the line If Karatti and the Foe Men get day of sales it won't be cool. It will mean Filmation fans only have been screwed over once again.

    and I've never said anyone (sub or dos) has a given right to any of the figures. If Matty wants to limit them it' their call. Not cool to expect those without subs not to be ticked off though.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

  23. #148
    Heroic Warrior MrRoboto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    That's the exact same reasoning behind the choice of Shadow Weaver as the 2012 sub exclusive. Real-life result of said marketing strategy: COMPLETE FAILURE. 2012 had the lowest subscription numbers up to that point.

    But I suppose some people rejoice in the knowledge that some other fellow fans will not be allowed to buy some of their childhood favorites because for whatever reason (being under tight economic constraints, being a latecomer to the party, not being interested in everything, etc.) they did not or could not commit over half a thousand dollars sight-unseen last summer. (FYI, I have two 2013 subs.)
    Re: 2012 subscription, there were also a number of ppl who had a majority of characters/figures they wanted up until then so subscribing for the 2012 sub didn't seem necessary. Especially if a person only needed a handful of characters to complete their collection.

    Also, i absolutely don't believe for a second that there's a single person out there who'd be so devious as to rejoice in the knowledge that some other fellow fans will not be allowed to buy some of their childhood favourites for whatever reason... Many times over i've seen ppl on here and elsewhere show empathy for one another because there's someone who isn't ~ for whatever reason ~ able to get their hands on a particular figure(s). Castle Grayskull is another good example too.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

    *MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

  24. #149
    Heroic Warrior Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Fangman, to subscribers only? REALLY?! I wonder if that means people will be willing to pay for mine since I have no need for him.
    ahaha watch out Dr. Kain. You made me laugh! Quit bringing joy it doesn't suit you....or does it?

  25. #150
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,274
    Scott said this would happen during the 2013 subscription drive but I guess people either didn't listen or take him seriously. It's even posted on the Club Eternia 2013 page:

    regular club releases may or may not be available for purchase at our regular monthly sales
    http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/store/mattycol/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29372800/productID.249805700


    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •