Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    Yep, it's clear from all your comments that you are so glad about quitting MOTUC...
    I'm glad I'm being understood correctly.

I'm not glad that fellow collectors who have also spent thousands of dollars are being disregarded. And that Mattel's greed-based decision causes such divisiveness in the community, where some members are actually happy when others don't get figures. It's just a bad thing... bad thing to do, causes bad feelings... That Mattel can get others to join them on the side of selfishness is sad to me.

Yeah, I'm happy that I'm not all caught up in the drama and that I'm not giving Mattel any of my money anymore. I think they are of the lowest calibur. I was thinking of getting Ram Man and Shikoti, but I'm grateful for Mattel's reminder.

Heroic Warrior
    Hoping to get strobo for the extra zodak head. Probably sell the loose strobo on eBay if I can get him.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    And that Mattel's greed-based decision causes such divisiveness in the community, where some members are actually happy when others don't get figures. It's just a bad thing... bad thing to do, causes bad feelings... That Mattel can get others to join them on the side of selfishness is sad to me.
    Agreed.

Who would have known that all the people who only want to pick and choose characters that they want, would all want the one character they cant have? Irony.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I'm glad I'm being understood correctly.

I'm not glad that fellow collectors who have also spent thousands of dollars are being disregarded. And that Mattel's greed-based decision causes such divisiveness in the community, where some members are actually happy when others don't get figures. It's just a bad thing... bad thing to do, causes bad feelings... That Mattel can get others to join them on the side of selfishness is sad to me.

Yeah, I'm happy that I'm not all caught up in the drama and that I'm not giving Mattel any of my money anymore. I think they are of the lowest calibur. I was thinking of getting Ram Man and Shikoti, but I'm grateful for Mattel's reminder.
    Greed-based decision, selfishness,... Sorry, I'm a little confused here: do you understand that Mattel is a company and its purpose is to make money, right? For a moment I thought you were talking about a foundation or a charity institution...
    Last edited by Asher99; February 12, 2013 at 11:31pm.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

I agree what do cherry pickers want? You don't want everything, but then you get upset when you don't get everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I agree what do cherry pickers want? You don't want everything, but then you get upset when you don't get everything.
    AMEN brother...
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

Heroic Warrior
    I agree what do cherry pickers want?
    The FFM and Netossa to be the club exclusives.

NICE--can get Strobo next month-waaayyyy sooner than I thought. However, am I reading this right--if you don't have a sub, you can't buy Fang-Man from Matty at all? I.e.--I'm glad I have a sub --but wow, I feel bad for the cherry pickers--this is kindof tough

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Scott said this would happen during the 2013 subscription drive but I guess people either didn't listen or take him seriously. It's even posted on the Club Eternia 2013 page:

http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/...ctID.249805700
    So why doesn't he list which ones won't receive DOS quota during sub sign up? Next year I suggest they just eliminate DOS completely.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

MIND BLOWN!!

Greed-based decision, selfishness,... Sorry, I'm a little confused here: do you understand that Mattell is a company and its purpose is to make money, right? For a moment I thought you were talking about a foundation or a charity institution...
    Asher... Don't bother....
    I once wrote a huge posting that talked about corporate finance and Mattel's responsibility to its shareholders. The whole post fell on deaf ears, except for a few "thank you" PMs I received.
    The average fan is not concerned with any of the actual fiscal realities involved. They are only concerned with themselves and this thought process makes no sensible argument matter.
    When it comes to collectors, suddenly everyone is an "armchair manufacturer" even though they have no business experience knowledge behind it.
    It doesn't matter if you are a janitor or if you are a neurosurgeon. If you don't work in retail manufacturing, corporate retail analysis, or corporate finance, you have no real clue what's going on.
    Such is the nature of the beast.

I know I can always count on you, SCB.
    Last edited by Kowl; February 12, 2013 at 11:35pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

I'm very gald that MATTEL is finally rewarding all time subscribers. They have stated over and over again that their business model is based on subscriptons, it's only fair that they reward those people that made MOTUC possible...
    How is limiting others from buying it a reward for subscribers? That makes no sense.

Now thats the pain truth

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Asher... Don't bother....
    I once wrote a huge posting that talked about corporate finance and the Mattel's responsibility to its shareholders. The whole post fell on deaf ears, except for a few "thank you" PMs I received.
    The average fan is not concerned with any of the actual fiscal realities involved. They are only concerned with themselves and this thought process makes no sensible argument matter.
    When it comes to collectors, suddenly everyone is an "armchair manufacturer" even though they have no business knowledge behind it. Such is the nature of the beast.

I know I can always count on you, SCB.
    Thanks for your comment Kowl. You seem to be someone intelligent and sensible. Rare qualities these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    How is limiting others from buying it a reward for subscribers? That makes no sense.
    It makes tons of sense. If you want the figure that is being offered in a subscription based line, then you need to subscribe. That's the subscribers reward, not having to worry about not getting figures each month. What's not to understand here?

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    And you are both crazy because I said rare "mineral" - and oil is not a mineral. Look it up.

It's not even all that rare, but it's subject to artififical scarcity by those in control of it. Kinda like...Mattel. Hmmm, isn't the world a great place where Mattel uses the same tactics as one of the most hated industries in the world - to sell toys.

They should be so proud.
    Potato, Pototto....

Should have just said Gold....

Oh wait....Oil is Black Gold....damn, they may be right....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Fang Man is on E-Bay already and look at the BIN..........

Do you think this would happen if he had been a regular figure?
    What is asked for is totally different than what someone will pay for it....people are greedy. That being said, I'll likely not even open mine now, not for any value, but just because if he gets damaged, he'll be a ***** to replace, MOSC is a safe figure, unless you own a Bull or an Elephant that lives in your collection room....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Bad move on Mattel's part. The scare tactics have got to stop. Toy buyers are a fickle lot and tend to move on. There are far too many figures commanding over $100 at this point. In the last 6 to 8 months, the line has become completely inaccessible to any new customers who are not willing to shell out a HUGE amount of money to catch up. I sold my entire collection on Ebay when It looked like the 2013 sub might not move forward. The way Toyguru talked at the time, I figured that a best case scenario would see 2013 being the last year of the line. Next thing I knew, sub sales miraculously went through the roof at the last minute. When i found out that they were moving forward with Grayskull, I started rebuilding the collection. I have spent over $2K and still have several figures to go including the very pricey Shadow Weaver. I am lucky to have the funds available to rebuild the collection. But what about the guy that just heard about the line and wants to jump in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    You undestood me wrong. The reward to subscribers is that they are guaranteed to receive all the figures in the subscription no matter how limited the production might be. That was exactly what was promised to subscribers. Mattel has informed many times in the past that non suibscribers might not get all the figuress issued, therefore I don't understand your comment: not having access to all the figures was warned by Mattel in advanced, therefore no one is "limiting others from buying"...

I had to scurry over to BBTS and order my Fang-man, because I'm a cherry picker, BUT I can't be upset with what Mattel is doing here. I was one of the naysayers back in August that this was nothing more than a scare tactic, but I'm actually glad in a weird way that Mattel/Scott is standing by their word. I'm just hoping this doesn't happen again with Mantenna or Castaspella to scare people into subbing again this summer for 2014.

I can only speak for myself, not for the rest of the cherry-pickers, not sure what they will tell you. What do I want? Yes, I don't want everything, and no, I don't get upset because I don't get everything, I don't need everything, I get upset because I can't buy what I like.
    I understand that the risk was there, we were warned, but that doesn't translate to getting a sub out of the fear of not getting such figure. People COULD NOT get a sub for different reasons, but mostly budget reasons. Commiting half a thousand dollars on toys that half of them you don't want and half of them you don't know what are you going to receive is, for some people, out of reach.

Heroic Warrior
    Absurd argument.

Obviously "cherry pickets" aren't some single group mindset - unlike it seems some folk around here.

The point of being a cherry picker is that people may want some figures but not others. While all cute and political rhetoric-like, your statement makes no sense as some cherry pickets are going to want this figure, some will not want it.

Even many of us subbers think this is a crappy move. It's because it's completely intentional, and no good reason but to try to lure people to subs, because they would rather use tricks like this than, oh, I don't know, offer a robust product with good customer service and working to satisfy customers without using cheap sideshow barker tricks.

That's why this bothers me. I only wanted one, I'm getting one. But this is so transparent, so blatant, like most people who have posted it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Because everything else stinks about this operation except for the figures 4H sculpts (and the last year or so Mattel design has even been doing their dangdest to wreck those), it is just another way to drive people away just when we need them the most.

Basically, these types of things are what you do when you can't do a quality job - you use dirty methods to compensate. It's such a shame that this stuff has to sully this line and what little reputation it has left.

Greed-based decision, selfishness,... Sorry, I'm a little confused here: do you understand that Mattel is a company and its purpose is to make money, right? For a moment I thought you were talking about a foundation or a charity institution...
    Yes, but wouldn't it be nice if Matty and Scott instead focused on delivering a quality product (that doesn't have reversed arms and exploding crotches or dried out foam snouts), a good customer experience, and pleasant interaction with the community without relying on dirty sideshow barker carnie tactics?

It's the lazy way out, and Scott just did it in spades.

I guess now we know what that laughable excuse for a figure Spector really stood for.

Hmm...I thought Fang Man, despite all the cool Filmation nods, was considered a "Meh" offering, and not a keeper, for many. Even here, I see more uproar about how ridiculous secondary prices may get, those upset about Matty scare tactics, those who are happy they quit the line, and sub-holders relieved to be covered rather than posters who are actually lamenting about not being to get him on DOS. In fact, I think Yodafreakmaster's extras by themselves will be enough to cover everyone in this thread that will need a Fang Man!

It just seems to me that Matty called it pretty fair; If some figures are going to be produced in lower quantities and miss DOS, it should be ones like Fang Man, IMO. If this happened with Jitsu and Ram-Man, it would be far worse. It makes me wonder; If this happens again with the Fighting Foe Men, will people really be that upset over it?

I don't understand the conspiracy theory of Mattel directly screwing collectors here. This year's lineup is probably going to be the most limited one, in terms of production numbers, because of lower sales. Now that an obscure, one-shot character is confirmed to be scarcer than the fan-demanded vintage heavy-hitters, there's a sudden resurgence of demand for him? Or are we really more upset that some people on eBay are already trying to charge $140+ for him before he's even released?

How is limiting Fang Man to subscribers increasing Mattel's profit? Do you think this is going to be the magical decision that reverses the trend of declining subscription sales? When subscriptions were being sold last year, Mattel declared that not all figures would be available to day of sales buyers and subscription sales were still at their lowest level ever. Alienating customers is bad for business despite how much glee some fans seem to get out of it.

It has nothing to do with wanting everything (otherwise there wouldn't be pickers would there?). It has everything to do with getting pushed out of something that has been picked at since day one, and many pickers have spent a lot of dough and picked since 2008, hell I bought 19 things from 2012 alone, 18 figures and the Weapons Pack....that's a lot of money I sent Mattel's way, money I could have spent on Transformers and other lines, but chose to buy MOTUC. But I guess my money wasn't wanted, and subscribers are so privileged....

Sorry, I'm a subscriber now, and feel nothing like that, and am still ****** at such a tactic....I subscribed because I though 2013 would be a year like 2012....I was so wrong, so far I only plan to keep 8 figures out of everything revealed in the main sub, and I just got the Filmation sub....I'm still a picker at heart.

Judging by things I may be out next year altogether anyway, all I really need / want is Dragstor & Two-Bad....Filmation Hordak and Clawful look like long shots and it's unlikely they'll make the Attack Trak....so, boom, I get my last 2 figures....I may be done. Plus the BS with the Fang Man being a sub exclusive and likely many more to come this year, I don't feel like supporting Mattel anymore. Price and this new apparent policy has done it for me.

2014 I will go back to Transformers, it looks like they are picking back up finally anyway. At least Hasbro doesn't care if you pick. I already opted to pass on Grayskull for Metroplex.

Say what you want, toss around all kinds of shareholder this, fiscal that, it's ******** plain and simple, no matter how many business and financial terms you use, it still doesn't change that fact.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!