Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Strobo In March!!! 3/15 Matty Sale Announced! w/ Strobo update

I am at the same time happy and sad about Fang-man. I am pleased that the PR-talk from last summer was accurate. It was not an easy decision for me to commit to a subscription because I only want some of the figures, but I did it for the line and to ensure that I will get the figures I want. Now I feel more assured that I made the right choice when subscribing. At the same time I feel sad that it has come to this. I will be selling some of the figures I receive at cost to local fans (if any still exist), but I do feel for those who are going to miss out on figures they were waiting to add to their collections.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Mekanek and Strobo being early access next month are really tempting me to purchase the filmation mini sub.

What conventions does a traveling convention Item show up at?
    PowerCon is the only one I know for sure. However, don't forget that the early access for Filmation sub doesn't start till August.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    Say what?!?
    So you mean I should have to buy something I and most other collectors dont want or need so Johnny Blow can have his, lets say, Spector?
    You keep talking about capitalism and such, well, we shouldn't need to "subsidy" the collector of perceived low sales figures, that sounds more like "charity ran business" to me .
    We shouldn't "need" to buy subs to maintain the line, that is just a scare tactic form Mattel. The sub started as a privilege for the collector that wanted everything and later became a strong arm tactic.
    Figures should sell for themselves, if a figure is in high demand it shouldn't have trouble to (eventually) sell out. If a figure is kind of obscure and not perceived as demanded by collectors, it should be in short supply and higher price tag..... THAT IS CAPITALISM.
    EXACTLY!

If anything killed interest in this line, it's the absurd sub model to begin with. It's hilarious because these guys seem to be arguing "no one has a right to all these figures if they don't sub" while at the same time towing that ridiculous company line that we need to subsidize the characters that very few want because all these characters have a "right" to be made.

So crap characters like Spector and Demo man deserve to get made, but people are being "spoiled" because they aren't even going to get a chance to buy him from MattyCollector now.

These guys are hilarious.

How about a thread ending post. Here, I'll give it a shot...

Get over it! Once you become one of the largest toy companies in the WORLD, you too can make your own rules." Pretty sure the Mattel can do anything they want, including canceling the line and they'd continue to get by just fine.

Demo Man is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    PowerCon is the only one I know for sure. However, don't forget that the early access for Filmation sub doesn't start till August.
    Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

I don't think Filmation early access starts until Filmation figures ship in July but I will need to check. It is good for all the other subs though.

The way I see it, sub sales went down because a lot of collectors turned to cherry picking. Enticing people to sub up reels those people back in, or at least that's the intent.

2012 had a lot of characters that no one really cared about, which put 2013 in jeopardy. They said upfront that some figures wouldn't be available DOS.
    The subs started off so that people wouldn't miss out on a figure being sold out. Mattel seems to be trying to recreate that buzz, if you don't sub up you could miss out. But people have gotten comfortable cherry picking, and it has put the line in jeopardy. A cherry pickers dollars are very good, when they actually spend them. Unfortunately those dollars are inconsistent and can't be relied upon. Mattel needs a solid guarantee to go forward into production for a full year as some figures cost more than others (like Mantenna vs Clamp Champ) Having a relatively low tooled figure like Clamp Champ allows for us to have Mantenna since they average those dollars out over the course of a year. So locking someone into a sub guarantees them a tooling budget. Let's say they average $25 per figure, but since Clamp Champ costs only $20, that allows them to make a $30 Mantenna and offer them both for the same price.
    If cherry pickers want to come along and say they will only buy Mantenna but will skip Clam Champ, that screws Mattel, and ultimately the fans that have dedicated to a sub.
    Buying a sub ensures you won't miss out on any figure that may become rare, being a cherry picker entitles you to nothing. Your dollars can't be relied upon, it's gravy, but it doesn't keep the line alive.
    At this point, Mattel is making so little money on MOTUC that if they have DOS and a figure flops, they have to pay rent to store it, the longer it sits, the more they pay, then they still have to move the old stock. It's a loss that the line can't afford. They need guaranteed sales at this point.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post

So crap characters like Spector and Demo man deserve to get made, but people are being "spoiled" because they aren't even going to get a chance to buy him from MattyCollector now.

Demo-Man is NOT crap thank you very much. He is an amazing toy and one of my favorites in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

I don't think Filmation early access starts until Filmation figures ship in July but I will need to check. It is good for all the other subs though.
    yeah, that's what I meant.....July I'm pretty sure it says that on the Matty site as well. I know that my Filmation sub hasn't even showed up on the My Subscription page....even though I have a confirmation email and it shows on my order history. Just would hate for people to sub just for Strobo then feel robbed. All in the small print.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manic mailman View Post
    why did netossa get a Day of Sale? they shouldve made her a sub exclusive too.
    i dont mind the no DOS fangman but it is curious (he was actually a pretty anticipated figure) that he is the one they start this with. not freaking netossa.
    You just answered your own question. Fangy is far more anticipated than Netossa was, which is precisely why they are doing this. You don't strong-arm someone by holding back something they don't want, you do it by deliberately holding back something you know a lot of folks DO want. "See, you didn't sub, so you missed a popular character! Sub or DIE!!!!" It's a pathetic scare tactic, one that isn't going to help sub sales this August as they hope. It's just going to tick more fans off, and make them less likely to care if the sub goes through or not.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    EXACTLY!

If anything killed interest in this line, it's the absurd sub model to begin with. It's hilarious because these guys seem to be arguing "no one has a right to all these figures if they don't sub" while at the same time towing that ridiculous company line that we need to subsidize the characters that very few want because all these characters have a "right" to be made.

It's not about popular characters vs unpopular characters, that's ridiculous. It's about a cheaper character to make versus an expensive character to make. For instance, Clamp Champ Vs Mantenna. Yes, Mantenna is certainly more popular than Clamp Champ, but most people want him. Mattel did back themselves into a corner by waiting for the highest tooled figures to come at the end.
    Yes, the sub model also allows for more obscure characters to come out, but they are two different issues.
    When the sub model started it was so no one would miss out on figures being sold out. Now, they need guaranteed sales to keep the line moving forward. It's not rocket science.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

The July or August bit, does drop it down. It does make sense.

I am going to Wizard World in Columbus in september so wasn't sure what traveling con meant. Figured Power Con.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Fang Man was one of the few I wanted this year.
    I bet they do this with Octavia as well
    motuc_octavia.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    You just answered your own question. Fangy is far more anticipated than Netossa was, which is precisely why they are doing this. You don't strong-arm someone by holding back something they don't want, you do it by deliberately holding back something you know a lot of folks DO want. "See, you didn't sub, so you missed a popular character! Sub or DIE!!!!" It's a pathetic scare tactic, one that isn't going to help sub sales this August as they hope. It's just going to tick more fans off, and make them less likely to care if the sub goes through or not.
    They're doing it to show that if you don't sign up for a sub (Filmation at the moment) you risk missing out on figures.
    Also, Fangman wasn't as anticipated as people are saying. Not until he suddenly became unavailable. There's a long thread right here on the .org with a bunch of people saying they didn't want him because he looked too cartoon like and didn't seem to fit the line. Now the same people are crying foul.

yeah, that's what I meant.....July I'm pretty sure it says that on the Matty site as well. I know that my Filmation sub hasn't even showed up on the My Subscription page....even though I have a confirmation email and it shows on my order history. Just would hate for people to sub just for Strobo then feel robbed. All in the small print.

I thought strobo was covered with early access with the filmation sub, but things look very different now.
    As for the sub it hasn't showed up in my order history, I will call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Demo-Man is NOT crap thank you very much. He is an amazing toy and one of my favorites in the line.
    Me too! Love Demo Man.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Fangy is far more anticipated than Netossa was
    I think it all depends on who you're talking to. He does win in the "we've wanted a figure of him for 30 years" category though.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

im very excited to get strobo this early. unexpected but delightful.

i almost feel bad about fang man but then again i feel anyone who didnt sub prolly was ready to cherrypick and not into him. so kudos to the ebay and bbts types im sure like myself that is always the backup plan. glad its an option.

now for room making for strobo to go with zodak and zodac

Fangman vs Netossa would also depend on your own feelings of the upcoming figure. There were many who wanted her, and many who didn't, and many were ehh. For example if I had a sub I would have kept her, but not having one I didn't buy her.

Fangman was almost tempting to pick up, but decided to go with the later filmation figures this year of Shokoti, Icer, and possibly Batros. I am curious if them doing this with Fangman is their way of saying they might be doing similar with the Filmation sub.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Me too! Love Demo Man.
    I could have picked any number of characters - even Star Sisters have fans. But when we don't even have Glimmer, yet we have figures of sketches thrown into the waste bin that no one knew existed until the Internet, then it's not hard to see the lesser demanded characters.

Regardless, my mistake for turning the discussion to a character argument - because that's just beside the point. That said, I find it funny that several people have stuck up for Demo-man, but o one has yet for Spector.

Kowl? Any input on that one?

When does early access start for people who ordered the Filmation Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by GRANAT View Post
    Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by GRANAT View Post
    Based on what I was just told Scott thinks July when the first Filmation figure ships.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    I do not get why you would dump your collection because it might have ended? If I dumped every toy line I collected because it ended.....I would have no toys.

Second, what if someone wants to start collecting star wars,should hasbro rerelease everything from 1995 onward?

As I read the posts, I see two sides. I tried staying in the middle but some of you cherry pickers really only care about yourselves. Some never give to craps abouts subscribers. We are the reason you even get to complain about this issue. With out us the line is dead. We keep trucking along to make sure tall star and the duke get all of thier pop,so that MGM can get 200x and so on. Some of you only care about yourselves and you then call us selfish. There is a line in the sand,and some of you drew it.you want .....na demand figures be sold to at cost or even lower.

I hate to tell you this,capitalism built Mattel and Mattel gave us motu.

I tried so hard to stay positive and neutral,that can not happen.

SCB nailed it,what the heck do you guys want......? Everything for nothing and still have the right to complain.

I am by no means rich,but perhaps some have thier priorities out of whack? Toys are becoming an expensive hobby,and many have had to slow down or quit....including myself.

In closing, my bleeding heart wants to buy everyone a fang man that has no sub,yet I feel some of you would want more and still complain.

I saw a side to people today,I guess the tar swamp is better for some of this.

I feel kind of sad, I really am in this for not just myself,but my fellow collectors,but some of you are not in it for me at all.
    Hasbro does offer almost everything from 95 on in Star Wars, just in new packaging every year or so....I have seen almost all characters constantly on the pegs in one packaging or another. And most are the same exact figure, nothing new but an accessory or two.

Hell go to TRU and you can find stock still peg warming from 5 or 6 years ago, at today's full prices mind you, not 6 years ago prices....Transformers especially. I went to TRU a few weeks back and they still had the Skeletor, Mer-Man & Stratos 2 packs.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

They use the same scare tactics every year. "Scare tactics 101". They said the line would be in trouble for 2013 unless the min amount of subs were bought. Guess what? Mission accomplished. Now its ST102. Buy a sub or you risk not getting a figure on DOS. It sucks but hey, that's the nature of the beast. I used to get two subs, one MOC, one loose. This year I bought one sub and I was going to cherry pick the figures I wanted to display loose. ST102 might make me go back to buying two subs for 2014. Mattel knows exactly what they're doing. They're a business. They here to make money, not friends. I hate to say it, but they don't want cherry pickers (although they'll still take your money), they want those who are all in.
    Last edited by J-West; February 13, 2013 at 01:26am.
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    *Two-Badd*~Snake Armor He-Man~Tung Lashor~200x Sorceresss~Calix ~*Mantenna*~*NA Skeletor*~200x King Hisss~Ninjor
    *Icer*~*Batros*~*Shokotti*