View Poll Results: Are you okay with Filmation Hordak's head being a repaint and not a new sculpt?

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 26.43%
  • No

155 68.28%
  • Undecided or Other

12 5.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with Filmation Hordak's head being a repaint and not a new sculpt?

Are you satisfied with Filmation Hordak's head being a repaint and not a new sculpt?

Mattel's SDCC's Exclusive Filmation Hordak & Imp figure set has been announced. Mattel chose not to include a new head (or new armor). Are you okay with the head being a repaint? You can see the only new sculpting here is the robot hand and Imp. The robot arm is from Hurricane Hordak. The swappable shoulder is from Trap Jaw's Kronis arm.

From Toyguru about Filmation Hordak's head:

Actually no. The funding for the chest was a completely seperate budget as it is a polly bagged promo item and not part of the carded toy.

Not giving Hordak a unique head was not a budget choice. We had the budget to do that if we wanted to. We chose to delibertly use existing parts so Filmation Hordak would fit into the line look of all the other figures (and the other Hordaks). Much as we did for Filmation Randor. We didn't want one Hordak looking very different from the rest. All should blend. We could one day do an animted line with a different look, but that would not be Classics.

It was not a budget choice, it was a design choice by Marketing, design and the Horsemen together. We did discuss this at length as we knew whichever way we went would not please all fans. In the end, we absolutely stand by our choice to keep all Hordaks looking similar and all figures in "Classics" style.
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/5271036868
    Last edited by AdultCollector; April 30, 2014 at 05:53pm.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    that's not leaked content, it's a custom dude

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    that's not leaked content, it's a custom dude
    No custom unfortunately, Matty just made it official

http://news.mattycollector.com/blog/...ore-on-56-513/

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar

Oh come on.
    He's a complete body reuse with a pallet swap (which is perfectly fine). With that much reuse, they could not spring for a new head? Drop the redundant staff to save cost .

A am no way a hard core Filmation fan, but it cheapness of this variant ticks me off.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Nop, i still don't believe it.

It's too bad to be true

Heroic Warrior
    Of course he should have came with additional sculpting; more than just a filmation head. They could have at least had a more accurate head and cowl. It's sad how we asked for Filnation Hordak and got a repaint just as we asked for the MYP Evil Lyn and got a repaint. Easy pass and I was really looking forward to this figure. It's very lackluster and cheap.

It's dreadful.
    I used to be a completist and snap up everything Classics.
    Not any more. They don't deserve out money churning out this garbage.
    THE KEY! GET THE KEY!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

No. With the exception of Imp and the robotic arm, this figure is no different from the custom Filmation Hordak I made for myself. A cybernetic head should have been an unquestioned part for this figure, and why add the flippin' staff?! More love went into Spirit of Hordak than the SDCC exclusive.

I'm disgusted right now.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

No. I'm more disappointed that he has the same armour though. The cartoon version has gaps in the sides where you can see his skin.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    No. I'm more disappointed that he has the same armour though. The cartoon version has gaps in the sides where you can see his skin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...df/Hordak1.jpg
    Yeah...I want more Hordak side-boob too!
    Its time for Electroid Love---ARAMESH in 2014!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Oh come on.
    He's a complete body reuse with a pallet swap (which is perfectly fine). With that much reuse, they could not spring for a new head? Drop the redundant staff to save cost .

A am no way a hard core Filmation fan, but it cheapness of this variant ticks me off.
    Yep, Mattel has learned absolutely nothing from Battleground Evil-Lyn 3 years ago.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Am I satisfied with a cheap out that isn't anything at all like what we wanted? Oh, yeah, I'm ****ing stoked! I'm even happier they wasted money on a treasure chest to be given to attendants, ya know because afterall, they are the ones who keep the line going. Add on TG's "unified look" BS and I'm just tickled pink.

'15 or bust? Bust.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

His armor looks the worst.

Heroic Warrior
    No, this is a pathetic effort on the part of Mattel. Even with a straight reuse of the same head, they could have at least added some line work or a freaking wash to make the lines in his cheeks stand out a little more like Filmation's.

And honestly, I could have been okay with a repaint head if they had at least given us his armor instead. It still wouldn't be ideal, but the armor is quite distinctive in its own right and would have still made the figure look cool and different. So I would have been happy overall with either a new head or new armor, but they couldn't even spring to give us either. Weak Matty, weak.

But then they include another Hordak staff, except with what looks like only 1 paint app. Really, what's the logic there?

TG needs to stop digging that hole any deeper
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I did not for a second think that a Filmation Hordak would get a new head sculpt.

I think it would have been nice and great if he did get one, but I expected a Filmation Hordak would look exactly like this (which is why I have never particularly wanted one). The thing that actually bothers me the most is that the staff seems to have very few paint apps.

Sad day for those who were expecting more than this.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

"Not giving Hordak a unique head was not a budget choice. We had the budget to do that if we wanted to. We chose to delibertly use existing parts so Filmation Hordak would fit into the line look of all the other figures (and the other Hordaks). Much as we did for Filmation Randor. We didn't want one Hordak looking very different from the rest. All should blend. We could one day do an animted line with a different look, but that would not be Classics.

It was not a budget choice, it was a design choice by Marketing, design and the Horsemen together. We did discuss this at length as we knew whichever way we went would not please all fans. In the end, we absolutely stand by our choice to keep all Hordaks looking similar and all figures in "Classics" style. "

Um, not all Skeletors or He-Mans look the same in this line. Heck, they even changed Thunder Punch He-Man's skin tone for no good reason! So this quote just makes me shake my head in disbelief.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

He really needed his Filmation head…what's the point of doing a Filmation Hordak if he doesn't even have the correct head?
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

NO! As if the fact that the Filmation head was not included was not bad enough--the responses to why it was not included from TG is beyond frustrating.. This is the first SDCC exclusive for Motuc I will not be buying since the line began. At least some of the other companies got it right this year

We've had so many stupid new characters, and now problem is new head and armor??? Come on...But fools will buy it because they will get Imp! And now we should expect Filmation Skeletor with repain head?
    Miserably!!
    Last edited by Molgran; April 30, 2014 at 09:18pm.

I'm not satisfied with the head, and I'm not satisfied with the armour.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Soooo, an Alcala head for Skeletor is okay... A Filmation head for Hordak isn't?

I know I've used this time and again, arguing for 200X heads, but it totally applies to this as well. Not a fan of Filmation variants in general, but I think everyone should be able to get their ideal heads somehow. The cartoon head looks different enough from his figure head to warrant a new sculpt, IMO.

Besides, story-wise, I'd say he'd need to construct an artificial body to inhabit whilst on Etheria so that he can fight She-Ra and friends. Once he pops out into his home dimension of Eternia, due to some magical reason, he'd be able to recreate a body that looks much more like his old one, hence the face change back to the original Hordak figure's head.

Just sayin'.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Heroic Warrior
    I voted no.

Be advised, I don't like Hordak and don't own one, period. I just don't happen to like the character, and never did.

Having said that, if I wanted a Filmation version (and since I don't, I'd still like YOU to have YOUR Filmation version, fan base), this would kinda fall short.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

No, I'm not happy that they took the cheapest method possible to give us something that doesn't represent what we've been asking for. We wanted a Filmation Hordak, not a Hordak in Filmation colors. If this is how they are going to tackle Filmation variants, then don't bother making Filmation He-Man or Skeletor because the TRU versions are already made.
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!