Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: 200x sculpts better than MOTUC sculpts?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Jorvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    367

    200x sculpts better than MOTUC sculpts?

    Sorry if this has been talked about before.

    How do you guys feel about the 200X MOTU sculpts vs the 2008 line? I for one, although I have many of my original figures that I loved, I prefer the Four Horsemen design of Skeletor. I like the look/sculpt of his face, much more threatening as a villian. I like the way the body was done, the muscles, the armor. I just really love those designs versus the "round lolipop" head look of Skeletor in the 2008 line. I loved the new Zodac versus even the original ( I was never big on the feet, LOL!). But don't get me wrong I do like some of the new characters and their design/sculpt from the 2008 line like the Snakemen 2 pack. So what are you thoughts? I'd like to know.
    Last edited by Jorvak; February 24, 2013 at 10:05pm.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    1,013
    Randor for sure.

  3. #3
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    overall the 200x style is my favourite. the exception is he-man and teela which i prefer the classics.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Jorvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    overall the 200x style is my favourite. the exception is he-man and teela which i prefer the classics.
    I have to say I agree with that, I wasn't too thrilled with the page boy hair style He-Man, LOL! I like the vintage line look for some of the characters, but not all. The 200x style/sculpts to the snakemen, whiplash, Mer-man, Clawful and Triklops to mention a few really gave them the more serious, detailed look that made them appear more threatening to He-Man. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who really liked the 200x sculpts.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior T-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Indiana
    Posts
    539
    The best of scuplts was the statues. To prove that ( My girlfriend hates my toys and she really likes the mini statues). I would have prefered that quality scult and paint applications compared to motuc style. Neca and 4 horsemen did amazing jobs on those minus the one bad paint app (evillyns face ,jitsu ponytail) and the drooping figures syndrom from the plastic. The He-man statue where he hold the sword up is my favorite he-man ever!!! ALL of the horde where way better as well as rest of the mini statues, EVIL LYN!!!!!, King hiss, BUZZ OFF 200x styles are much more prefered. The rest I kinda like the motuc versions of the rest of the figues best . I hated the hyper style . I wish the toys in 200x didnt have the slouch they had. The hyper (bent over slightly look) didnt seem as noticeable in the ministaues. The 200x classic colors sorceress statue is awesome but i have to say i do love motcu sorceress just as much. Just my opioion

  6. #6
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorvak View Post
    I have to say I agree with that, I wasn't too thrilled with the page boy hair style He-Man, LOL! I like the vintage line look for some of the characters, but not all. The 200x style/sculpts to the snakemen, whiplash, Mer-man, Clawful and Triklops to mention a few really gave them the more serious, detailed look that made them appear more threatening to He-Man. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who really liked the 200x sculpts.
    yep it's nice to not be alone
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  7. #7
    Always Hawthorn Viceroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,889
    I thought the 4H did a fantastic job with the 200x line and it is by far my favourite line.

    I loved the action figures and then was totally blown away by the stactions and the statues!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    448
    I love 200X. I only buy the classics because of the upgraded articulation.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Nemisythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    1,502
    The sculpt and designs of 200X were PHENOMENAL! It was a new approach and they have some of the best sculptures on the job! Vs. Classics to me, they are 2 different takes which as a MOTU fan prevents me from choosing cause the fact that they are different approaches that are just BEAUTIFUL!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior darksword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109
    I really like 200x sculpts for a lot of the figures. But I wish there was more articulation. And I wish the stactions weren't stactions, but rather figures. By far my top 10 200x figures:

    1. Jitsu
    2. Randor
    3. Sorceress
    4. Mosquitor
    5. Webstor
    6. Snakeface
    7. Leech
    8. Clawful
    9. Roboto
    10. Skeletor

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    111
    As much as I love 200X and am indifferent to MOTUC, I think that two can't be really compared.. Two complitely different takes..

    However, 200X are closer to "just as how I remember", as my child self comprehended vintage figures as something more bad@$$ than they really were (note: MOTU designs themselves are already bad@$$, just not translated into vintage figure forms properly due to production constrains, budget and/or "they just didn't care", so vintages are usually goofy, as much as I love them for what they are).. So between 200X and MOTUC I must choose 200X for sheer inovative and imaginative sculpts that captured characters better than MOTUC..

    Anyway, my perfect "new" MOTU line would be something like NECA movie/video game figures.. More realistic sculpts, better paint ops ("metal" that looks like metal, for example) but taking inspiration from vintage (not full copies, though), but making them better, cooler and more powerfull (think He-Man done in style of NECA Conan, or Evil Lyn like NECA Succubus or some such figures, check their Predators and Aliens and think what Whiplash/Saurod/Buzz Off would look like if done like that).. That might actually reel in new fans and customers for a change..

    Here's some quick manip I did, posted it a long time ago in MOTUC Frosta tread, but I'll repost it here just to ilustrate what I ment..

    Frosta-manip.jpg

    (That's NECA Lilah figure from Jonah Hex movie, promo pic.. Should have messed more to get the details of Frosta a little better, though.. )
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

    My toy collection

    My Deviant Art

  12. #12
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastAttak View Post
    As much as I love 200X and am indifferent to MOTUC, I think that two can't be really compared.. Two complitely different takes..

    However, 200X are closer to "just as how I remember", as my child self comprehended vintage figures as something more bad@$$ than they really were (note: MOTU designs themselves are already bad@$$, just not translated into vintage figure forms properly due to production constrains, budget and/or "they just didn't care", so vintages are usually goofy, as much as I love them for what they are).. So between 200X and MOTUC I must choose 200X for sheer inovative and imaginative sculpts that captured characters better than MOTUC..

    Anyway, my perfect "new" MOTU line would be something like NECA movie/video game figures.. More realistic sculpts, better paint ops ("metal" that looks like metal, for example) but taking inspiration from vintage (not full copies, though), but making them better, cooler and more powerfull (think He-Man done in style of NECA Conan, or Evil Lyn like NECA Succubus or some such figures, check their Predators and Aliens and think what Whiplash/Saurod/Buzz Off would look like if done like that).. That might actually reel in new fans and customers for a change..

    Here's some quick manip I did, posted it a long time ago in MOTUC Frosta tread, but I'll repost it here just to ilustrate what I ment..

    Frosta-manip.jpg

    (That's NECA Lilah figure from Jonah Hex movie, promo pic.. Should have messed more to get the details of Frosta a little better, though.. )
    that's awsome!!

    I agree with tehe 200X being "how I remembered them" and the designs being bad ass but limited. 200x blasted the limits away for the most part. don't get me wrong LOVE me some motuc, but it brings back some limits that make me long for a 200x line done with this level of articulation and the bulkier he-man sexier teela etc.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  13. #13
    Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,910
    No, 200x sculpts are not better than MOTUC sculpts in my opinion. The main reason, the figures had crazy proportions. And they were hyper anime looking (don't scold me for saying that, lol ). They're good figures, but they're more caricature/cartoony MOTU to me than great sculpts that are timeless.

  14. #14
    Widget Wylde Weezle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    Posts
    33
    I have just over a dozen of the MOTU classics, but I still prefer the sculpting on the 200X lines better for many of the villain characters. To me, it was a love not from Mattel to the adult collectors to bring the 4H on to create unique looks to each of the characters. I like the limited parts re-use.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior vazqjose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    puerto rico
    Posts
    624
    Theyre different styles so its not on the right subject to make the comparison. 2000x figures in 7inch with the same motuc pain apps would impress much more ,specially the villain characters

  16. #16
    Chewer of Trollans
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Banished
    Posts
    212
    I've cherry-picked the motuc line and kept most of my 2000X figures over buying new "inferior" classic figures.

  17. #17
    The Undisputed Champion TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by darksword View Post
    I really like 200x sculpts for a lot of the figures. But I wish there was more articulation. And I wish the stactions weren't stactions,
    I exactly feel the same way !

    Even though I love classics, from design point, MOST of the 200X figures & stactions were "holy grail" for me !
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

  18. #18
    A fan, not a nostalgic
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorvak View Post
    Sorry if this has been talked about before.

    How do you guys feel about the 200X MOTU sculpts vs the 2008 line? I for one, although I have many of my original figures that I loved, I prefer the Four Horsemen design of Skeletor. I like the look/sculpt of his face, much more threatening as a villian. I like the way the body was done, the muscles, the armor. I just really love those designs versus the "round lolipop" head look of Skeletor in the 2008 line. I loved the new Zodac versus even the original ( I was never big on the feet, LOL!). But don't get me wrong I do like some of the new characters and their design/sculpt from the 2008 line like the Snakemen 2 pack. So what are you thoughts? I'd like to know.
    I feel exactly the same way, and if a character is available in both 200X and MOTUC variants, my favorite version is inevitably the 200X one. They are better sculpted AND they have action features, so they have more aesthetic value as well as more play value. I really wish the 200X series had continued to show the entire storyline, including the Second Ultimate Battleground, the New Adventures and Son Of He-Man parts, because the goal with the 200X line was to create something that was cool on its own, while the only reason for the MOTUC line to exist (except for rare exceptions) is to pander to nostalgics.
    Last edited by Devil Master; March 3, 2013 at 07:58am.

  19. #19
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,527
    In my opinion, Classics is far better than 200x...but.....if 200x had the same articulation as Classics.......the race would be a lot closer.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior MLHumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    470
    Totally different styles. Impossible for me to compare. Like apples and oranges. And I love both apples and oranges.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior cobrakahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    EAST COAST.
    Posts
    172
    Yes I would agree its the apples and oranges theory. Now a harder debate would be the motu vs motuc. Articulation over play features and so on.
    200x is a beautiful line. I still think of collecting it now. The MYP cartoon is amazing and Mattel did such a great job AGAIN.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,658
    The sculpts of 200X are MOTU to me. I Love me some classics but being a child of the 90s the overly detailed sculpts and unique designs are my preference. I cannot think of one figure from classics i like more than the 200X version.

  23. #23
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,777
    I think by and large the 200X sculpts are better than the Classics sculpts. 200X took the same characters and gave them all unique elements and body types and sizes, while Classics goes for parts re-use. In my Classics collection, usually the 200X look gets the nod.

    I didn't like the hyper anime angular sculpts and more slender builds, but that attention to detail...Classics can't touch that. Classics does excel on the paint jobs, swappable heads, more muscular builds (I just wish they were more unique to each character) and articulation.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  24. #24
    master of hiphop
    AGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in your head !!
    Posts
    3,750
    I'm not a fan of 200X i always found it to be just to blah, i love the classics.. much better to me then the 200X but my fav... hands down was 4H Stactions.. DAMN!!!! those were nice.. the detail was nuts... i personally only collect MOTU MOC so i do not articulate figures or play with them.. so for me the fact that Classics are articulated means nothing.. this is why i loved the statues they looked so sick but you knew they were only for display and not messing with.

    so put me down for Stactions, it's too bad they had to stop them
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

  25. #25
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    I'm not a fan of 200X i always found it to be just to blah, i love the classics.. much better to me then the 200X but my fav... hands down was 4H Stactions.. DAMN!!!! those were nice.. the detail was nuts... i personally only collect MOTU MOC so i do not articulate figures or play with them.. so for me the fact that Classics are articulated means nothing.. this is why i loved the statues they looked so sick but you knew they were only for display and not messing with.

    so put me down for Stactions, it's too bad they had to stop them
    The stactions by and large were the 200X that the horsemen WANTED to do, no Mattel restrictions or input. so for me Stactions IS 200x.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •