View Poll Results: Do You Want To See Mattel Acquire the 1987 MOTU Movie Rights?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

138 64.19%
  • No

31 14.42%
  • Indifferent

45 20.93%
  • Other

1 0.47%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Want To See Mattel Acquire the 1987 MOTU Movie Rights?

Do You Want To See Mattel Acquire the 1987 MOTU Movie Rights?

Do you think Mattel acquiring the rights to the 1987 MOTU film is just as important or thereabouts as Mattel acquiring the Filmation rights? We know that Blade, Saurod and Gwildor are good to go but what about the rest? Do you want Mattel to acquire the movie rights so we can see them in Classics guise?
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

To be perfectly honest: The only character that they would potentially do that they weren´t allowed to before, is Karg. And Skeletors Troopers.
    Lubic, Julie, Kevin... Those don´t really make for impressive looking MOTUC actionfigures. They would need to be almost 100% new tools, given their slimmer bodies and their clothes. Maybe Kevin could share parts with Teenage Adam, and Julie might borrow some tools from a few previous female figures (Sorceress arms, for example). But the majority of parts would have to be new tools. And that´s very expensive and only adds to the already expensive rights to the movie. So I don´t really see this happening.

But HELL YES, I´d wish for it!
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    I would love to see Mattel acquire the rights to the '87 movie. I would love to see the versions of the characters in classics series.

Yes, but have no intrest in anyone from Earth. I'd buy everyone else. The Air Sentry guy, Karg, Troopers, He-Man, Evil-Lyn, God Skelly & Pig-Boy would be cool to have.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I'm only interested in Saurod and Blade.
    And since Mattel already have the rights to make those...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Holy quacamole yes!
    Make a six fig sub now!
    Blade, Saurod and Gwildor!
    Karg, Lubic and Worruck!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Just for Karg yes. Not interested in the rest other than the figures they already have rights for (Saurod, Blade and Gwildor)

Heroic Warrior
    I want as many movie figures as I can get. I'd have a whole new shelf devoted just to the movie....hell, I'd even take a Charlie from the music shop or the topless car with the 2 'natives' making out in the front seat.

Yes, if not just for Karg alone! A movie He-Man, Skeletor and God Skeletor could also be cool.
    I've no interest in any of the Earth characters though.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I don't care for the movie, so I don't care if they get the rights, I have my He-Man, Skeletor, MAA, Sorceress & Teela. And as far as the rest of the characters....I don't care at all for them.

But....if they did, I would simply not buy them, just like I pass on anything NA.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I voted yes!

A Lubic figure would be awesome. I think the Four Horsemen could turn him into something cool. He could be the head of the Eternian police!

Karg is a must!

And is Kevin the Songster?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'm indifferent. It would be cool to have figures of Blade and Saurod but I'm not hurting for them.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

YES, I would love to see Mattel get the rights to make figures from the movie!!

My top movie wants for MOTUC:

Karg
    Detective Lubic
    Shock Trooper
    Skeletor
    GOD Skeletor
    He-Man

I'd also take:

Air Centurion
    Evil-Lyn
    Julie
    Kevin
    Pigboy

I didn't list Blade, Saurod and Gwildor since Mattel can already make those characters.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Big, big YES.

Give me Lubic, Julie, Kevin, movie costume versions of HM, MAA, Teela, Skeletor, Lyn, and...yeah, I'll take Karg too, even though I don't really like him.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I don't even want to have this conversation until we have Blade, Saurod, and Gwildor in hand. Karg is cool. But I DO NOT WANT, Lubik, Kevin, or Courtney Cox.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

ok so apparently im the only one to choose other at this time.

chosen other to represent the fact that yes, id like them to have rights to the movie if only to have the right to make anything they want. i want mattel to consolidate their property to be free to make any move they like.

but realistically i only want karg (and blade to look like blade, i never saw the blade toy and dont know how good a likeness it was.)

karg alone seems awesome but hardly a priority. so i get blade and saurod which is great. hopefully karg is a possibility someday.

but variants of main characters? no they are very cool and would be. but no i dont particularly want movie he man or god skeletor or whoever in classics.

if it happens, great. really. people would loose their minds (not really this isnt filmation rights) and it would be great to get karg.

but that is it. karg. i kinda cant worry about that.

mind you im more interested in them being able to utilize the story elements into the classics mythos since it is the best of all possible realities. so they need access to all realities. it is already set to be true anyway as skeletor becomes king, masters are rebels...thats where the movie fits so they dont need to confirm it but it would be nice.

i kinda think they are holding off on saurod gwildor and blade to see if they can get the rights on the cheap. godspeed to them.

ultimately i want songster more than a movie variant of a preexisting character.

so anyway, yeah "other" for me

The only Film characters I want are Karg and maybe a "god" Skeletor variant. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    Holy quacamole yes!
    Make a six fig sub now!
    Blade, Saurod and Gwildor!
    Karg, Lubic and Worruck!
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5016/1987u.jpg
    I would buy a 12 figure sub line of Movie figures in a HEARTBEAT!!! !

Perfect streamlined idea for a 12 figure Movie subline...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    00. Sub exclusive Figure - God Skeletor
    -------
    01. Movie Heman variant
    02. Movie Man-At-Arms variant
    03. Movie Teela variant
    04. Movie Skeletor variant
    05. Movie Evil Lyn variant
    06. Blade
    07. Karg
    08. Saurod
    09. Lubic
    10. Gwildor - heavy tool 12 figure sub item
    11. Movie Black Skeletor Shock Trooper - Army Builder 2 pak sku slot 1
    12. Movie Black Skeletor Shock Trooper - Army Builder 2 pak sku slot 2

HEY MATTEL!!!
    Last edited by Replikor; February 17, 2013 at 03:31pm.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    chosen other to represent the fact that yes, id like them to have rights to the movie if only to have the right to make anything they want. i want mattel to consolidate their property to be free to make any move they like.
    Acquiring the rights to release action figures based on the movie characters would not make them "free to make any move they like", because, as with the Filmation license, Mattel would only be the toy licensor of the 1987 movie property (which is a limited-time contract to use someone else's IP for some particular purpose; in this case, toy likenesses of the movie-specific characters).

What you're thinking about (being free to use all parts of the MotU universe however they like) would require no less than Mattel acquiring all those properties for themselves (i.e., buying out the copyrights —not just licensing some particular rights— to the 1987 movie, the Filmation MotU and PoP cartoons, the Jetlag NA cartoon, the MotU DC comics, the Ladybird books, etc.; so that if afterwards someone else, including their former owners, wanted to re-release those media properties on DVD, print, etc., they would need to ask permision and pay royalties to their new owner Mattel).

That's probably never going to happen. But given Mattel's mistreatment of their part of the franchise (due to their questionable practices and corporate culture, and their mindset that MotU is only a tiny, tiny, tiny part of their bottom line so that any risks, investmests and marketing of the franchise should be borne by others, be those the paying customers through subs/preorders, or licensors like DC Comics and the new movie studio that will carry out all the necessary brand recognition and awareness revival campaigns for and instead of Mattel), one might argue it could be seen as a blessing, since what would probably be in the best interest of the franchise and its fans would be that someone else who truly appreciates it —say, the 4H— bought out MotU from Mattel.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I voted YES, because I need a Meg Foster Evil-Lyn figure.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Indifferent.

While I'd love a Karg, Movie He-Man, Movie Skeletor, Movie God Skeletor, and such. It's just that...a Karg and some movie inspired variants. Is it worth the ridiculous asking price for these variants for Mattel?
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

We will get Blade, Gwildor, & Suarod! I would love Karg & Pigboy thats all

I don't care all that much... I voted "no". I'll take Blade, Gwildor, and Saurod... but I never wished for more movie figures when I was young after I saw the movie. And while I have grown to appreciate the '87 movie for what it is, the adult me has no need for Kevin, Julie, Karg, or Lubic on my shelves. And certainly no movie versions of the main characters.

I'm as meh about the '87 movie as I am about NA. Mehhity meh.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Absolutely ! There are plenty of movie figures with great potential for the MOTUC line.

I personally cannot wait to read about a Movie Figures sub.