Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/15/2013)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/15/2013)

greatrebellion.org

Bskcase ask: Will we know the final fate of the Green Goddess?

Matty: Eventually. Keep reading the bios and mini comics.

DO4M ask: Seeing that MOTU is gaining some steam in other media (the amazing DC Comics series, the iOS game, the movie leaving development heck), are there any plans to make some MOTU toys based on these new media ( something like Mini Masters, or MOTUC versions of the Comic Designs)?

Matty :This is always something we are looking into. It has been an incredibly exciting time for the brand and the best is yet to come! Stay tuned.

Arthur ask: Many fans are worried about the future of figures like Blast Attack, Madam Razz or Two Bad who require a lot of new tooling. Now that the line is going to be scaled down in 2014, will we still see 100% new tools like Ram Man?

Matty:If we do a 2014 line we hope it will also be a blend of partial and fully tool'd figures. The partial tool figures often help "offset" the cost of 1 or 2 fully tool'd figures.

rock.vivien ask: Hi, MOTU is getting monthly DC Comic starting April. What an awesome news! Do you plan a new shared project between DC and MOTUC figures in the future? I mean, advertising Motuc figures (like in the magazine ToyFare in the past) to get new customers, create some figures with the DC style (DC He-Man or Despara), or even a pack DC+MOTUC... What do you think?

Matty: This is always something we are looking into. It has been an incredibly exciting time for the brand and the best is yet to come! Stay tuned.
    toyhypeusa.com

Q: To keep costs down for a potential MOTUC 2014 line-up, would Mattel consider smaller packaging (such as a box and no plastic bubble)?

A: Reducing the packaging this way would not reduce the cost of the figures in a significant enough way. To get the cost of the figures down, to say around 20.00 we would to take a multifaceted approach and reduce package, deco, accessories and articulation.

Q: How does MOTUC Karatii’s skin tone compare to Demo-Man’s? Is it the same color?

A: No, it is not the same pantone. .Karatti is a little darker.

Q: Masters Of The Universe Classics found at Wal-Mart has created a lot of controversy amongst fans. It would seem odd that Mattel would just sell only a dozen or so Roboto’s and Gygor’s at a significate loss while they may have more than that in reserve. You stated that Mattel does plan to sell older MOTUC figures to other retail chains. Can you tell us what stores Mattel does plan to sell the figures too?

A: Mattel did not sell any MOTUC toys to Wal-Mart nor do we have plans to. The situation you are referring to is one single Wal-Mart location that acquired MOTUC product from a third party and sold it without the permission of Mattel.

Q: Would listing all of the 2014 subscription characters at SDCC improve subscription sales? Give fans the layout of the 2014 map, and would this help to complete the core characters?

A: It potentially could, but legally we are not in a place to do that.
    infinitehollywood.com

2. Is Evil-Seed the type of character that fits into that “core” that could finish out the line, or is he more considered a “fringe” character?

Considering he was in both Filmation and Mike Young series that would definitely bump him up a bit. But no plans to announce right now.

3. There was a fair amount of issue with Granamyr breaking for many fans. Is this something that Mattel is aware of and looking into for future larger scale figures (should they come about)?

While there was some quality control with Granamyr, based on the number of individual posters (not the same customer posting multiple times) and actual requests for returns/exchanges, the QC rate was incredibly small and we do replace any defective product. This was a bit of a case of a very small number of units with QC seeming like a much larger issue due to the nature of the internet. We aren’t saying there were not QC issues, but the overall number of units with issues was extremely small.

4. Any idea if Mattel will be at C2E2 this year?

No, we will not be at C2E2 in 2013.
    kastorskorner.com

Kastor’s Korner: A question was circulated recently anout making MOTUC for about $20, eliminating accessories, deco and/ or packaging… is there a chance figures can be released in two versions– a “basic” model for under current cost, and a “deluxe” version with increased accessories and tooling, for a larger price tag? This could be a way to satisfy fans who are on a budget, and also those who would be happy to pay top dollar for more detail and quality.

Mattel: No, that would take two different development skus and right now we are putting every sku was can into new characters, not doing two different versions of the same character. We just don’t have the resources for that right now.

Kastor’s Korner: We know heads are expensive. Glimmer is a character that comes to mind who would need two heads (Filmation vs. Vintage toy)… if heads are too expensive due to paint apps, have you considered something to the effect of swappable wigs/ headgear on the same face?

Mattel: Anything is possible but we don’t have plans to announce a Glimmer figure right now.

Kastor’s Korner: Do you consider Sagitar a beast like Swiftwind, a figure like Ram Man, or something in between?

Mattel: Whether he is considered a figure or a beast he would be a larger oversized item if we got to him.

Kastor’s Korner: If a figure would only need a new deco on an existing figure (like Camo Khan, white Captain Glenn, shirtless Trap Jaw or black Optikk), have you considered different avenues than the sub to release these much-desired repaints? Perhaps as additional convention exclusives like Strobo, or a new, lower price sub series?

Mattel: The TRU 2 packs from a few years ago was an avenue we created to do this, but there was not enough support to keep this going.
    elkkthunderstoyroom.com

What shows will the MOTU Traveling Exclusive be available at?

At this point Power Con is the only show we know for sure we are going to. Others like NYCC may be added as the year goes on.

How will the SDCC exclusives be revealed this year?

That has not been determined yet.

Do faster sellouts on day of sale items reflect lower production numbers on these, or are they selling at faster rates?

A little of both

Would listing all of the 2014 Sub Characters at SDCC improve subscription sales. Layout the 2014 map, don’t need to show them just layout the plan to improve buy in and complete the core characters?

It potentially could, but legally we are not in a place to do that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    MOTUClassics.com
    MOTULA.org
    http://www.preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/
    greatrebellion.org
    toyhypeusa.com
    musclor.org

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 17, 2013 at 10:56am.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Hmmmm...

I'm not convinced Scott wrote these answers. Not an exclamation point to be found!!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    Hmmmm...

I'm not convinced Scott wrote these answers. Not an exclamation point to be found!!
    Hahahaha so true

Or the same grammar/spelling errors.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Matty :This is always something we are looking into. It has been an incredibly exciting time for the brand and the best is yet to come! Stay tuned.
    What could this be? Hmmm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Please dont let it be the movie related !?!

I know many people hope for the movie rights so there can be a Julie or a Kevin in MOTUC but i dont need a skinny teenager in a mini skirt and another with a stripped shirt and to tight jeans. I like the movie everything Eternian looks cool and they really should have stayed on Eternia but the earth part and that storyline never liked it and didnt care for it.....but thats my opinion.

And thats the same issue i have with a new movie, nothing in real life can be as great as i would wish it would be and i dont want to be disappointed...again(referring to the earth part of the "first" movie)...!

And again just my opinion.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    The release of Snnarllllllllllll ??????
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I dunno but I like how they keep us bipolar with comments like this.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    The downside for me of the DC/MOTUC 2 packs were the DC part. And I don't know that they attracted many DC fans because there were usually straight repacks of older figures that had often been repacked before. I know I was not interested in the DC end at all.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    The downside for me of the DC/MOTUC 2 packs were the DC part. And I don't know that they attracted many DC fans because there were usually straight repacks of older figures that had often been repacked before. I know I was not interested in the DC end at all.
    EXACTLY.

I collect both lines, and fortunately, when the first two packs came out, I had not yet purchased a short-haired Superman, nor the Lex Luthor in his armor... so I won in those cases.

The Mer-Man / Aquaman pack was a good choice, because a LOT of DC collectors hadn't been able to find short-haired aquaman...

The Hawkman / Stratos pack was bad because instead of recoloring Hawkman's wings and giving him a slightly different head (there were several choices at that point), they just repacked the Hawkman that DC collectors owned.

Green Lantern and Zodac -- I won out because I held off on buying Hal Jordan, thinking he'd likely end up in the MOTUC packs... but many many many DC collectors already had him.

She-Ra vs. Supergirl - bad choice... it should have been a slightly recolored Wonder Woman... but if it HAD to be Supergirl, it should have been the long-haired, blue costumed one that had been released in the DC Superheroes line prior to DCUC.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Me neither. MOTUC vs DCUC was definitely weakest on the DC side. I collect DCUC too and I already had those figures. I wish Mattel had tried to make the DC characters more interesting with repaints, but that would have taken up a development slot or something.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    And from a non-DC, straight up MOTU perspective the DC part of those packs sucked because they just didn't fit together scale-wise. Superman looks like a child compared to He-Man lookin all jacked up steroided powerhouse. If they were DC figures done to fit in more with MOTU with more muscular bodies or at least in scale with them, I wouldn't have minded them as much.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    She-Ra vs. Supergirl - bad choice... it should have been a slightly recolored Wonder Woman... but if it HAD to be Supergirl, it should have been the long-haired, blue costumed one that had been released in the DC Superheroes line prior to DCUC.
    I agree that Wonder Woman would have been a better choice or the more classic Supergirl. But I think what really hurt this pack was that She-ra was a straight up re-release. This would have been a chance to do something different with her, like the toy bodice.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

The thing that instantly killed my enthusiasm for the DC Vs MOTU packs was that after they were first announced, I realized that they weren't what I thought they were gonna be: which was the likes of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc done with MOTUC bucks and builds in a pack with a MOTUC figure and a comic book.
    Having two completely different-looking figures in one set probably helped kill it for a lot of folks, IMO.

Having characters like Batman on a Motuc buck wouldn't look right.

For the most part, only the MOTUC had anything new to them. If both the DC and MOTUC figures were variants, I bet they would have sold better. I am guessing they could find another buyer in BBTS or Entertainment Earth with these 2-packs.

I'm still scratching my head over the choice to put in Supergirl instead of Wonder Woman in that VS She-Ra pack.

As far as Glimmer being a character that needs two heads...? Um, no. Of all the characters that could benefit from having a second head, Glimmer definitely DOESN'T come to mind. Tung Lasher might need two heads, to support his stretched tongue. Two-Bad needs two heads, obviously. Ninjor might even come with two (hooded and non-hooded). Even Sweet Bee is a better choice for a second head; one based on the style guide and a second being her Filmation helmeted head. But Glimmer...nope. The PoP gals have been following the style guides and non of them have had a second head based on the rooted vintage hair. I wouldn't think Mattel would start now. Glimmer will have one head based on the style guide, and that's probably it. As it should be.

It's 5 months until SDCC and they still don't have a price point? Around this time last year they did, so I wonder what gives? Maybe they have multiple things to choose from and they are trying to determine which one will be the exclusive? Maybe they will have more than one exclusive this year? Maybe it isn't a standard figure at all - maybe it is a mini-playset or a vehicle, so determining the costs for this item is all new? If it takes 8 months to finish and sell a figure, whatever the SDCC exclusive is, I am assuming it is already past the prototype stage.

This is something I don't understand...Legally, they can't list the line-up for the 2014 sub at SDCC. Why? Is it because the line-up may change? OK, fine. Then please explain how Mattel can legally show us a b-sheet for the pre-sale of Castle Grayskull, which is now different than the measurements on the b-sheet? (Still awesome, but admittedly different). Also, we've been told before that the line-up is planned a year ahead of time and can't change. So, which is it? These rules don't seem very consistent. Just sayin', is all.

Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I dunno but I like how they keep us bipolar with comments like this.
    lol...What if it's a new animated series?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Spector 2.0
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Me neither. MOTUC vs DCUC was definitely weakest on the DC side. I collect DCUC too and I already had those figures. I wish Mattel had tried to make the DC characters more interesting with repaints, but that would have taken up a development slot or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    And from a non-DC, straight up MOTU perspective the DC part of those packs sucked because they just didn't fit together scale-wise. Superman looks like a child compared to He-Man lookin all jacked up steroided powerhouse. If they were DC figures done to fit in more with MOTU with more muscular bodies or at least in scale with them, I wouldn't have minded them as much.
    Good points and I agree with you all!

As a collector of both lines as well, the DC half of these packs were disappointing to say the least. These 2 packs were supposed to cater to fans of both lines but it really only did justice to the MOTU fans. The DC fans got shafted with straight re-releases or very minor redecos. DC fans hated them and that's why hardly any of them would touch them.

Just look at what Mattel released for DC:

Superman - A common straight re-release "All Star" figure from DCUC that had been released a few times before and wasn't high in demand at all.

Armored Lex- Another common figure that was a straight re-release and easy and cheap to obtain. It didn't need another release.

Hawkman - A straight re-release.

Aquaman - A slight redecoed figure that was actually in high demand from DCUC collectors. This was the one DC figure that Mattel got right IMO. A lot of DC fans had missed Aquaman cause he was in Wave 2.

Hal Jordan GL - ANOTHER straight re-release. Plus, Hal had about 4 other figures released within the same year from different DCUC pack outs. STUPID IDEA!

Supergirl - It's considered one of the worst DC figures ever released. Ugly face and most fans hate that version of her.

I still wish Mattel would find a way to get some of these easy MOTU redeco figures released. Maybe put them up on Matty as non-sub items like Granamyr?

I'd like to see mini-statues made by FH again , based on DC era and that in different style from motuc ,it's time to a more detail style.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Having characters like Batman on a Motuc buck wouldn't look right.
    LOL, I know what you mean

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    IF the 2014 sub happens ... scare tactics anyone?
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post
    He's already been released!

Kastor’s Korner: If a figure would only need a new deco on an existing figure (like Camo Khan, white Captain Glenn, shirtless Trap Jaw or black Optikk)...
    And shirtless Trap Jaw? Hasn't Trap Jaw always been shirtless?
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; February 18, 2013 at 11:17am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    I never collected DCUC but I bought every single TRU 2pack to get the MOTUC figures. It was cool to have Supes, Lex, SuperGirl, and Bizzaro chilling out in my toy room together, so they were worth it to me. GL, Hawkman and Aquaman were COOL figs too, but I Ebayed them for a good price so I wouldnt get in to "deep". Lol.
    TG is the man, but Im no fan of "the fans" being blamed for the loss of that cool lil line. There were CASES of the first 2 waves at my TRU when these hit here. The first wave sold well its first release, but then all of a sudden TRU was FLOODED with them. The exact same thing happened with the Mer-Man/Stratos wave. I saw 3 or 4 of each and they were snagged up pretty quick. Then a month later, BAM... theres 10 cases at my TRU. They should have been limited like the Zodac/She-Ra assortment seemed to be.
    Im just bummed I didnt get my Green Trap Jaw and Un-flocked Moss Man
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    For me it was the fact I couldn't buy them! and still can't/wont
    These were not availbe in UK TRU stores, TRU online would not post to the UK, prices on Ebay were/still are a joke! in the end I managed to get every MOTUC one loose - except BA Faker, but it meant i missed out on the card art and comic.

My suggestion was they put a repinted figure in a weapons pak eg Green skin trap jaw with his/Roboto's/HuricaneH's/HP's recoloured weapons etc

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    This is something I don't understand...Legally, they can't list the line-up for the 2014 sub at SDCC. Why? Is it because the line-up may change? OK, fine. Then please explain how Mattel can legally show us a b-sheet for the pre-sale of Castle Grayskull, which is now different than the measurements on the b-sheet? (Still awesome, but admittedly different). Also, we've been told before that the line-up is planned a year ahead of time and can't change. So, which is it? These rules don't seem very consistent. Just sayin', is all.
    This might have something to do with you being able to cancel Grayskull but not the sub, if they reveal a list of all the figures and it does change, maybe legally you could cancel the sub?
    Last edited by Nianotreve; February 18, 2013 at 09:40am.
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!