Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (2/15/2013)

Really, all they need is a "lineup subject to change" kind of disclaimer and I have to think they'd be fine.

Yeah, people would complain, but people already complain, so what's the difference?

Q: To keep costs down for a potential MOTUC 2014 line-up, would Mattel consider smaller packaging (such as a box and no plastic bubble)?

A: Reducing the packaging this way would not reduce the cost of the figures in a significant enough way. To get the cost of the figures down, to say around 20.00 we would to take a multifaceted approach and reduce package, deco, accessories and articulation.
    Hmmm, I think I said this in the thread Scott started....cutting packaging alone would not make any significant cost reducing difference, and that Scott was saying leave it as it is? or cut all 3 down, not pick one to cut like everyone was making it seem as though he said, I know how to read, and I know how that thread was worded. And I also said, that cutting tooling would net the biggest gains, which would be the accessory side of things....simply because molds are expensive....printed cardboard and vacuformed plastic is pennies compared to molds & deco materials and labor, which change from figure to figure, the packaging does not, except the inner bubble, and what's printed on the cardboard.

Edit....I missed that about the articulation....they already cut articulation on the females starting with Frosta....and yet she was still $22, Netossa was still $25 / $27, and Netossa only had a reused shield as an accessory, and her cape....oh, sorry, net....no, if it was meant to be a net, it would have tied on her and opened up into a square usable accessory, but no, it didn't it was fit to her neck and shaped only like a cape, yet she was still $25....with the boot cut missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Trap Jaw never had a shirt to my knowledge, but I mean we never got to see him home in his room at Snake Mountain either....

Yeah, and that's why the name is over exaggerated I mean I could say my name is Brriannnnn! But that would look and be stupid, not to mention be pointless.
    Snnarllllllllllll is just an unoriginal, unimaginative rip off, no matter how it's spelled.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 18, 2013 at 10:48am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Trap Jaw never had a shirt to my knowledge, but I mean we never got to see him home in his room at Snake Mountain either...
    Now, since Trap Jaw was a pirate I'm imagining him in a puffy pirate blouse...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Hmmm, looks like there was sortof confirmation some current comics related figures could be possibly be on the way. Also, they were going to try to get to NA first tier characters by 2015--I wonder if they consider Sagitar a first tier
    Last edited by He-Kal; February 18, 2013 at 11:49am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Having characters like Batman on a Motuc buck wouldn't look right.
    Frank Miller disagrees.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Hmmm, looks like there was sortof confirmation some current comics related figures could be possibly be on the way. Also, they were going to try to get to NA first tier characters by 2015--I wonder if they consider Sagitar a first tier
    I hope they do! He was one of the main Protectors on the show, along with Hydron and Flipshot.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

And shirtless Trap Jaw? Hasn't Trap Jaw always been shirtless?
    Apparently whoever asked that question thinks Trap-Jaw is wearing a tight blue shirt, which would explain why he's blue from the neck down but has a green face. So I guess he's "shirtless" in his mini-comic, where his torso is colored green.

Heroic Warrior
    "Q: Would listing all of the 2014 subscription characters at SDCC improve subscription sales? Give fans the layout of the 2014 map, and would this help to complete the core characters?"

A: "It potentially could, but legally we are not in a place to do that."

So allowing you to know what you are buying is illegal now?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    "Q: Would listing all of the 2014 subscription characters at SDCC improve subscription sales? Give fans the layout of the 2014 map, and would this help to complete the core characters?"

So allowing you to know what you are buying is illegal now?
    I've never bought this answer either. It's Marketing spin. I think Mattel has decided that they'll get more subscriptions if there's built-in mystery. As in, the number of subbers is higher if they sub in HOPES of getting what they want, vs. the number of subbers Mattel will lose if they KNOW they won't be getting the figures they want.

Now, since Trap Jaw was a pirate I'm imagining him in a puffy pirate blouse...

http://theplanetd.com/images/puffyshirt.jpeg
    Arrr! I lost me shirt!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Apparently whoever asked that question thinks Trap-Jaw is wearing a tight blue shirt, which would explain why he's blue from the neck down but has a green face. So I guess he's "shirtless" in his mini-comic, where his torso is colored green.
    But, as Kronis (which I know is a newer character, I don't care much for) his true face is blue....damn if Skeletor didn't mess him up, he hit him so damn hard he knocked the blue out of him
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    Snnarllllllllllll is just an unoriginal, unimaginative rip off, no matter how it's spelled.
    I have to agree with you. Mattel has forgotten that characters in Masters of the Universe need a name tied to the gimmick. All he does is snarl? I don't see that as enough of a gimmick to selling a toy worthy of Masters of the Universe. Don't get me started on most of the 30th figures or those mini-comic characters like Beast Lord. The art of naming a Masters character is lost nowadays.

But, as Kronis (which I know is a newer character, I don't care much for) his true face is blue....damn if Skeletor didn't mess him up, he hit him so damn hard he knocked the blue out of him
    I know that, but I don't think whoever asked that question knows that. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to why someone would ask for "shirtless" Trap Jaw.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Given that the Joe Club and Hasbro had no problem revealing the entire line-up for the Joe sub, there is no reason Mattel couldn't. The structure of the subs are virtually the same, and the Joe club hasn't even worried about when the figures actually come out, apparently. They already change figure schedules for those they have announced, so either Mattel legal is run by folks more paranoid than Fox Mulder, or it is simply a cheesy way to leave them an opening to try to pawn off something like the original version of Snake Duncan on fans if they need to save a few bucks.

One thing that does give me a little hope, though, is the comment on using the low tool figures to justify one or two fully tooled ones for 2014. I had a very strong fear that low sub sales from this year would doom MOTUC to the "no all-new tooling" of this year's DC Infinite Club. THat they are even talking about the possibility of fully tooled figures next year is good news. It may not mean anything in the end, but at least it hasn't already been utterly ruled out.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Heli88 View Post
    Really, all they need is a "lineup subject to change" kind of disclaimer and I have to think they'd be fine.

Yeah, people would complain, but people already complain, so what's the difference?
    I asked this in the next WTFWTK, it's not ok to do this for the sub and list the line up with a disclaimer, but it's totally fine to do with the castle? Nope sorry we can't let you know the line up, but agree to this castle, nothing from the b sheets will be cut. Wait, it'll be smaller and things may be cut now.

I think the real reason to the not listing the whole sub is ego. Some body at Mattel must love the cheers.

J

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    No one said he was right, just that he assumed Trap Jaw was wearing a shirt.

Personally, as Skeletor has a yellow skull with green around the edges, I always liked the idea that Gar people had green blood, and yellow bones. So they bruise and scar green.
    My MOTU Classics Wishlist:
    Filmation - LIZARD MAN, Kittrina, Vultak, Zilora, Ileena, Masque
    Space Mutants - CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead, Lizzor, Hoove
    MYP - VEENA, Evilseed, Prahvus
    Concept - RED BEAST, 4H alien 'Zodaq', Tony Guerrero Prototype

Personally I think it's Mattel trying to avoid backlash if the lineup does change (or get delayed - even if they state it might) as well as backlash on any figure that some fans might not want. Look at the backlash any time anything happens. I'd want to avoid that too.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post

Personally I think it's Mattel trying to avoid backlash if the lineup does change (or get delayed - even if they state it might) as well as backlash on any figure that some fans might not want. Look at the backlash any time anything happens. I'd want to avoid that too.
    But that's impossible, they are "locked in" a year in advance - that's why the limited sub window.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Isn't Trap-Jaw's face just eroded skin?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~