Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: green lantern-the animated series

green lantern-the animated series

well, more green lantern.

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Well, it certainly looks like it has promise.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Indeed -- hopefully the series will clear the air of the live action movie's short-comings.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Are you sure that was not a Wii game commercial? The CGI looked cheap, Transformers Prime cheap.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Is this fake? fooled me

edited :

it's a new series http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&so...yO4fW5w7hwi8Xw
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; June 20, 2011 at 02:15am.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    I hope it's gooooooood!

With any luck they will get this going and get into Blackest night... Or would that be too dark?
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Don't mind him. That's just Dr. Kain's way of dismissively saying he doesn't like it.

The cartoon itself is real. I actually think the look is pretty good. Almost like a mix of Batman:TAS mixed with CGI. Although I'd really have to see it in action more to know if I like it. CGI can look good in snippets but it all falls down when it comes to emoting or subtle movement. Too often it's like watching silent film actors with botox - a strange mix of dead faces and overdone body language. I hope for better here.

I'm more interested in the writing team though. Hope it's good! A good Green Lantern series that features the Corp prominently could be great.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Are you sure that was not a Wii game commercial? The CGI looked cheap, Transformers Prime cheap.
    A weekly TV show's CGI has to be cheap in comparison to Video game or Movie CGI with their multi-million dollar budgets.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    A weekly TV show's CGI has to be cheap in comparison to Video game or Movie CGI with their multi-million dollar budgets.
    May I present to your argument, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Garfield The Animated Series. From the quick shots we saw, it almost looked like an animatic.....

Garfield is not a tough show to do in CGI, but even that looks better than the preview clip above..
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    This looks as if it may have potential
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Reboot, Roughneck Chronicles

How come we are going backwards in CGI shows? They looked phenomenal and expensive in the 90s, but now the shows look cheaper? And why could they not stick with standard animation for GL? Young Justice and Brave and the Bold are just fine the way they are.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

I just saw GL: Emerald Knights and besides quite a weak excuse to portray Krona, all of the other stories were great with an awesome artwork and animation.

Now, I usually don't like CGI TV Series, except maybe for Beast Wars/Beast Machines, and just by the look of it, seems to follow the SW: Clone Wars trend, which does not seem to stand GL as a superhero story. I'll watch it of course but I don't have great expectations on it, I much rather prefer DC direct to video movies.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

The look of it is kind of off-putting to me. Maybe it's the image quality and it'll look better in HD (how can it not?), but the previews look very plastic and underlit. I tend to like DC's shows, so I'll wait and see.

I have to agree with those that say the CGI looks cheap. It looks absolutely awful and is really putting me off from seeing this toon
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I watched it, I LOVED the show it's like a cgi Timmverse in terms of look IMO but the story was great! Way more mature than I thought it would be and not being the biggest Lantern fan (though he was my fave super hero for a short spell when I was a kid) I can't speak for the mythology but I had a blast watching this andI want more!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

You know, The Batman, Teen Titans, Legion of Super Heroes, and Brave and the Bold had pretty lackluster premiers, but this absolutely takes the cake in being the worst. Have the writers even read a Green Lantern comic in their lives? Since when do Red Lanterns use their rings, fly spaceships, have space probes, tracking beacons, giant bombs, and individual personalities? Not to mention Atrocitus barely had any rage within him. This has got to be the worst comic adaptation ever. Add on top of it some of the cheapest looking CGI to the point that it looks like a Wii video game, and you have the worst DC show since Super Friends. There was no energy in the voice acting, and like I said, for a group that is supposed to be filled with rage, there did not seem to be any. And why the hell are they not spewing lava except maybe once or twice? Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure that dude should have died from the red ring being removed from his hand seeing as how THE RINGS REPLACE THEIR HEARTS!!! Overall, this premier was an utter piece of donkey dong and I have no desire to even watch another episode.

I thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    You know, The Batman, Teen Titans, Legion of Super Heroes, and Brave and the Bold had pretty lackluster premiers, but this absolutely takes the cake in being the worst. Have the writers even read a Green Lantern comic in their lives? Since when do Red Lanterns use their rings, fly spaceships, have space probes, tracking beacons, giant bombs, and individual personalities? Not to mention Atrocitus barely had any rage within him. This has got to be the worst comic adaptation ever. Add on top of it some of the cheapest looking CGI to the point that it looks like a Wii video game, and you have the worst DC show since Super Friends. There was no energy in the voice acting, and like I said, for a group that is supposed to be filled with rage, there did not seem to be any. And why the hell are they not spewing lava except maybe once or twice? Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure that dude should have died from the red ring being removed from his hand seeing as how THE RINGS REPLACE THEIR HEARTS!!! Overall, this premier was an utter piece of donkey dong and I have no desire to even watch another episode.
    if you had no knowledge of a red lantern, would you still hate it?

DC toons are separate from DC comics.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I thought the premier was rather good -- seems like it'll be an entertaining series.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    if you had no knowledge of a red lantern, would you still hate it?

DC toons are separate from DC comics.
    I had ZERO knowledge about the red lanterns all of Dr Kain's complaints (about faithfulness to the comics) didn't register with me at all

so I loved the show, very strong premiere IMO. I thought the voice acting was great as for the cgi as i said it feels like a cgi Bruce Timm show. so I don't care if it's lower level it has the same visual language that a long history of great DC Toons have had. so it's not jarring at all.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The animation style is perfect for the GL universe with all the constructs,bright lights and space.

I also liked that there wasn't an origin story. We were thrown right in the middle of a mission with everyone already established.

Interestingly enough, the beginning of the show with Hal and Carol was almost identical to the beginning of the live action movie.

I agree the only real complaint I has was the way the Red Lanterns were portrayed and adding in one who seems to be a character who will be redeemed later on down the line.

But that is more a personal complaint, I can see where for a show where they want them to be a longer term threat they do need to make them a bit deeper. I can see leanings towards the comic version where they are about rage but wanting it to be more then just kill. I can see them taking it that way.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Atrocitus hinted that the GL's did something horrible to his people. The rage is there, just more intellectual like a cult. It works better to tell a story in the cartoon setting. Plus it seemed like the Guardians were hiding what they knew about Red Lanterns.

If Dex-Star shows up, all bets are off.

My 2 cents, I thought it was mediocre at best.

Hal wasn't like Hal in the books at all. To me, at least, he acted more like Kyle or the "movie" Hal.

I think it would have been better if they had used the Sinestro Corps instead of the Red Lanterns for the villains since that's what the Red Lanterns were basically portraying them as. I take it that the reason though behind it is so that they can do a Sinestro GL story somewhere down the line.

I did think the animation was pretty good. One minor complaint about it: Why didn't the Lanters, Red and Green, have fields around them while they were flying or for that matter in space?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    My 2 cents, I thought it was mediocre at best.

Hal wasn't like Hal in the books at all. To me, at least, he acted more like Kyle or the "movie" Hal.

I think it would have been better if they had used the Sinestro Corps instead of the Red Lanterns for the villains since that's what the Red Lanterns were basically portraying them as. I take it that the reason though behind it is so that they can do a Sinestro GL story somewhere down the line.

I did think the animation was pretty good. One minor complaint about it: Why didn't the Lanters, Red and Green, have fields around them while they were flying or for that matter in space?
    I thought they did. the glow around them isn't that the field??

Seems like the show doesn't sit right with hardcore lantern fans but it sits great with those of us who only really know of the character to a degree.

(a generalization)

I too LOVED that this wasn't an origin story! I was worried that it would be. I wish they'd do movies this way sometimes.

Fear is faith in failure