Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Gar Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Hmmm Stratos might have Gar blood in him too, he seems to have prominent ridges under his helmet.

Also, the hair style of Vormus seems to be indicative of ridges.

And yes, it would seem that Kronis is only Gar in the MOTU-DC canon.
    Donīt get me wrong but those ridges are only part of Tuvars head for now, everything else is speculation or a theory and since we donīt know if he is a gar i wouldnīt say every one who might have ridges (or not...?) is gar.

In a MYP comic Stratos took of his helmet and it showed hair. So i think the ridges on his helmet are simply design choices.

And Hawkes helmet doesnīt even have high ridges again i think thatīs design.

*Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Donīt get me wrong but those ridges are only part of Tuvars head for now, everything else is speculation or a theory and since we donīt know if he is a gar i wouldnīt say every one who might have ridges (or not...?) is gar.

In a MYP comic Stratos took of his helmet and it showed hair. So i think the ridges on his helmet are simply design choices.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atoshelmet.jpg

http://www.frankshemanpage.net/sky00.JPG
    It depends on which media you follow, me I follow Filmation, so most if not shown in the cartoon is speculation, but since the comics changed after Filmation began to air, I'll follow some of what's shown there as well, but what fits with Filmation.

Filmation Hawke and Delora both have ridges....but just because the helmet has ridges, doesn't mean the head under it does.....

And that Stratos looks like he's tweaking or something....damn dude put your helmet back on....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    In 2002-cartoon Anwat Gar was a mysterious Island. Sy-Klone was its last guardian. They did not specify that he was from the Island.
    Indeed, both Dean Stefan, who wrote, and Michael Halperin, who story-edited the two episodes that featured Sy-Klone, have confirmed in interviews that Sy-Klone is only the Last Defender of the Temple at Anwat Gar, and is not a native inhabitant of the island.

Around that time the term "Gar" became associated with blue-skinned race because the producers didn't have a name for the race. It's never said
    officially in the show or comic if I recall. But it stuck and years later MOTUC-canon used it. No mention of Gar coming from Infinita in 2002-continuity either that I can remember.
    Indeed, the term Gar was postulated by fans. It is derived from Anwat Gar, and is misapplied to an ethnic group consisting of characters with blue skin and pointed ears on the assumption that these characters must be from Anwat Gar because Sy-Klone was an inhabitant of Anwat Gar also has blue skin. This was not established in the animated series, in the comic book series, or in any official media, but the notion persists, and was reinforced years later when the illustrator of the comic book stated in a post about his intentions for the series that this group be from Infinita. It has now worked its way into Masters of the Universe Classics, and by extension the digital and DC Masters of the Universe canon.

Also in 2002-cartoon Kronis was not a Gar while Keldor and Sy-Klone were. This is confirmed from one of the producers.
    Actually, it was confirmed that this was the intention of the MVCreations comic book in a post by illustrator Emiliano Santalucia regarding the subject on He-Man.org. It was confirmed that the intention of the Mike Young Productions animated series was for Randor and Keldor to be twins by producer Ian Richter at Power-Con.

(in MOTUC-DC continuity Kronis propably is a Gar)
    Indeed, it is implied that Kronis/Trap Jaw is Gar in his Masters of the Universe Classics biography, and it is established in the DC Masters of the Universe comic book series that Keldor/Skeletor is half-Gar.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Tuvar is not Gar, I guess Webstor is a Gar as well then? He's Bluish, maybe he's got a Gar Daddy and a Spider Momma.....Hey Kronis isn't light or Sky Blue either, so don't use that argument....Also Tuvar doesn't have a Human face, he has more of an alien / monster face, unlike Keldor and other official Gar do.

Are all mid to dark skinned people black? No, some are Arabic, some are Greek, some are Native American, some are Hispanic....some just have really crappy tans....

Are all light skinned people Caucasian? No, some are white, some are Asian....

So then why do all blue people have to be Gar?
    No, but all are members of the human species. It could be that the prominence of head ridges is a specific feature of certain [insert PC term for "races" here] within the Gar species, just like nose shape, epicanthal folds, cephalic index or melanin levels in humans.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Characters were or were not Gar in the different canons.
    Since this is the MOTUC section, I say that thay are only Gar if said so in the bios.
    All else is guessing, confusing canons or wishfull thinking.
    The new DC comics are not Motuc canon by the way.

If Keldor is Gar, and Evil-Lyn is yellow, it must be asked: is the son of Skeletor green?

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I looked into the Gar thing a few weeks ago, and didn't find a whole lot. I was trying to find out why they were disliked, where they came from etc.
    Given the amount of [insert PC term for "racial"] hatred amongst humans throughout history, it shouldn't be any difficult to understand why humans would mistrust the members of, not only a different [insert PC term for "race"], but a different species altogether. I guess Neanderthals weren't held in high esteem by our Cro-Magnon ancestors, to the point they actually drove them into extinction after invading their lands.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's also possible the Gar have pointed ears. I do remember during MYP people weren't sure if Gar was a race, a mutation, or some 'religious' type sect that have been changed some how.

It do wish the current comic series goes longer, or some other media so we can find out more.
    I could be that ear pointiness and cranial ridge prominence are distinctive features of particular Gar [insert PC term for "races"]. Not every human has epincanthal folds, an aquiline nose or melanin-poor hair/eye/skin.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; February 18, 2013 at 01:48pm. Reason: Typo
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    If Keldor is Gar, and Evil-Lyn is yellow, it must be asked: is the son of Skeletor green?
    I doubt that simply because Evil Lyn is only yellow skinned when fussed with magic or maybe dark magic or something like that. She is very fair skinned just like her father was after Teela took away her magic.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Maybe the ridges on the heads are only prominent with a certain age (young or old) or they are part of a maturation phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Since this is the MOTUC section, I say that thay are only Gar if said so in the bios.
    Is there a better section than this (the one frequented by most orgers) to discuss general Motuverse topics regardless of era/canon/toyline? I actually wish there was a General Motuverse Forum to discuss topics about the mythos independently of such divisions. I'm much more interested in the general mythos than in any particular incarnation of it.

I can live with Keldor, Kronis, and Sy-Klone being Gar. Shokoti and Tuvar not so much.

I vote on repealing Skeletor's "Gar" status. Just have him turn blue while being exposed to evil magic.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    No, but all are members of the human species. It could be that the prominence of head ridges is a specific feature of certain [insert PC term for "races" here] within the Gar species, just like nose shape, epicanthal folds, cephalic index or melanin levels in humans.
    Right, but my thing was just because someone would be blue, doesn't mean they are Gar, not everyone on Eternia is from Eternia, unlike Earth here, although some people act like Aliens, and like they don't belong with the rest of us on Earth at times....people are weird....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Never thought about what Stratos looked like without the helmet. He's a character I never cared for, because he always had that helmet on. I would have probably cared more about his death in the bios if he went helemt-less in the other forms of media. Humanizes the character for me.

Is there a better section than this (the one frequented by most orgers) to discuss general Motuverse topics regardless of era/canon/toyline? I actually wish there was a General Motuverse Forum to discuss topics about the mythos independently of such divisions. I'm much more interested in the general mythos than in any particular incarnation of it.
    But this too, if a character is not stated as a Gar, unless he is, I won't be assuming he is....that's like assuming someone from India is the same as someone from Afghanistan, just because they appear similar....

I choose to go by, a certain canon, Classics is a mix, but it still doesn't say yet whether every member of the blue man group is a Gar, just assuming doesn't make it so. Like Kronis....not a Gar, until it officialy says in MOTUC, he is not. We only have 2 official Gars in MOTUC (to my knowledge), simply because they are pretty much extinct....Sy-Klone & Keldor, and Keldor isn't even 1/2 Gar anymore, since he's mixed with Demo DNA....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Indeed, it is implied that Kronis/Trap Jaw is Gar in his Masters of the Universe Classics biography, and it is established in the DC Masters of the Universe comic book series that Keldor/Skeletor is half-Gar.
    An insane criminal from the dimension of Infinita, Kronis was one of several evil warriors freed from an intergalactic prison by Keldor to bolster his ranks during the start of the Great Unrest. After serving Keldor for years, Kronis grew ambitious and raised an army of his own to challenge his master. Now a powerful Overlord of Evil, Skeletor, defeated Kronis - breaking his jaw and arm and leaving him for dead. Found and rebuilt by Tri-Klops, Kronis was transformed by him into Trap Jaw, a man armed with combat weapons and an “iron jaw!”

How, in any way, does that imply he's a Gar? Nothing hints at that. In fact, it claims he's from Infinita. Now we don't know enough about the Gar to say none of them are from Infinita, but most of the little we do know points to Eternian background. He's not even the same kind of blue. It's a drastically different skin color. If Kronis is a Gar, why not Webstor?

Side note: While not a Gar, I do enjoy that Faker was made to be Gar, so he's honorary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    An insane criminal from the dimension of Infinita, Kronis was one of several evil warriors freed from an intergalactic prison by Keldor to bolster his ranks during the start of the Great Unrest. After serving Keldor for years, Kronis grew ambitious and raised an army of his own to challenge his master. Now a powerful Overlord of Evil, Skeletor, defeated Kronis - breaking his jaw and arm and leaving him for dead. Found and rebuilt by Tri-Klops, Kronis was transformed by him into Trap Jaw, a man armed with combat weapons and an “iron jaw!”

How, in any way, does that imply he's a Gar? Nothing hints at that. In fact, it claims he's from Infinita. Now we don't know enough about the Gar to say none of them are from Infinita, but most of the little we do know points to Eternian background. He's not even the same kind of blue. It's a drastically different skin color. If Kronis is a Gar, why not Webstor?

Side note: While not a Gar, I do enjoy that Faker was made to be Gar, so he's honorary to me.
    It was hinted that the Gar 'possibly' came from Infinita, so this is why some of us make that 'possible' connection of Kronis being Gar; as the notion Anwat Gar is a colony of the Gar species. And if you looked at your Preternia map there is a spaceport which some of us are postulating, led them (The Gar) from Infinita to Preternia, as also became a key factor in the battles of Preternia and led to the future 'tensions' between Eternian and Gar for the many years to follow. Now this IS ONLY being theorized from the current classics canon by someone like me and it seems to meld well, as other fans have come to like conclusions. So is he? Maybe... And as I have said before, if you go by the minis he's not as he was green. But then again are all Gar blue or just the refugees we only know of????????????????????

Now the question theorized are all blue living species Gar? Which many of us are providing debatable arguments for a yes or no.

So in summary we have:
    Illumina - Gar
    Sy-Klone - Gar (as per the Powers of Grayskull Classic Mini-Series; the gar were wearing the tech armor and the confirmation by Jukka's research)
    Keldor - Half Gar (even with what has been confirmed; Miro isn't Gar)
    Kronis - Maybe Gar (if the Gar came from Infinita, according to DC Comics) No (if his green variant ever comes out and gives us an explanation)

And as for Faker..... He's a robot....
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    And as for Faker..... He's a robot....
    On this we agree.

I always just assumed that Keldor's skin color was lighter than that of a full-blooded Gar, just as humans of mixed race can have a lighter skin color than someone who is not (although that's not always the case). There is always variety in skin color amongst races. Just because a character is darker or lighter doesn't exempt them from being a Gar. I think the pointed ears are a more tell-tale sign than anything.

In my head, Kronis and Shokoti are Gar, but only because I want them to be. I don't think either are confirmed. Until any character is confirmed, anything else is speculation.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

I have no idea if Tuvar is a Gar in MOTUC continuity, but I don't think if he is that the ridges have to be a staple of all Gar characters. Vormus doesn't have them no matter how I look at his hair, and I don't much like pretending they're just hidden under helmets everywhere else. I'd be down for a sub-species of Gar with the ridges, and presumably the large fangs and slightly greener coloring that Tuvar has. We possibly have two Gar with all black eyes (Shokoti and the FFM guy), so there may just be different looks among the Gar that might account for the ridges in some but not others.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Tuvar could be inter-species...or just have a birth defect.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior

Yeah, I was joking about Stratos dude. He's not even blue.

- - - Updated - - -

See that's what I'm talking about. I like this kind of thinking. I think the ridges theory adds something special and unique to Gar identity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Yeah, but I posted it here as this is where most of the discussion is these days... plus I'd like to see the bios reveal more about the Gar, and possible have Tuvar show up in a special Gar three pack with Hexon and Illumina. How cool would that be!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Maybe the ridges on the heads are only prominent with a certain age (young or old) or they are part of a maturation phase.
    True, and they may only be present or prominent on males as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    I can live with Keldor, Kronis, and Sy-Klone being Gar. Shokoti and Tuvar not so much.
    Shokoti is most assuredly Gar. What is wrong with that? She is a Gar sorceress or witch. That is awesome!

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Never was a fan of the whole "Gar" thing. Seems a bit racist to me.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Never was a fan of the whole "Gar" thing. Seems a bit racist to me.
    Actually I see them more as a species like Caligars than a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Tuvar could be inter-species...or just have a birth defect.
    I don't think Tuvar is a Gar. I don't even think he is from the planet Eternia. My impression has always been that Tuvar and Baddra were intergalactic bounty hunters from other worlds. There are no speices on Eternia that resemble either of them. Yes, Tuvar is blue, but he is a bright royal blue. All of the known Gar are pale blue. Also, Tuvar has three ridges on his bald head, and he has bright yellow cat eyes, and fangs that protrude past his lips. He just looks too different to be a Gar. Simply having blue skin shouldn't make a character a Gar.