Thread: Child Hood Memories you wish you could revisit

Child Hood Memories you wish you could revisit

anyone have a memory of something so strong, you wish you could check it out again as an adult?

Back in the 90s, we used to drive up and down the east coast to visit florida and my relatives down there in a motor home, rented of course. I remember stopping at a hotel one year that had an awesome arcade. it was a small level arcade, with a lower floor, and you take one step up to reach the upper floor with at least 15 games if i recall. I want to say it was somewhere in virginia (where ever our halfway stopping point for the night was)..wish i had pictures of it, but i seriously doubt it's still there...

Another memory is Camp Bernie in NJ. I remember seeing A Christmas Story on TV there for the first time..and up stairs in in attic like place was a cool old barn like attic with a pool table that I went too on occasion.

the third place is Frost Valley up in up state New York. I KNOW this place is still there, even though our old 1991 cabins are probably gone. very rustic...not the most modern of amenities..camp bernie was far nicer. but it was still fun for a grade school weekend...

anyone else have places you wish where still there, or you saw on trips that you wish you had better memories or photo proof of?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

*ahem* I'm probably gona make myself tear up a bit, but I wana go back and run with my dog Cody back when she was young and spry (she died of old age in 2004). I have a very vivd memory of...well I don't know, it may have been 89 or 90 (so I woulda been 6 or 7? Maybe it was earlier). They had just added a sub-station to a previously flat area and built a hill around it. It was the first day that they took down the barriers and let people go over there again (you'd think it would be off limits, but there's a fence around it, so I guess no one cared if we were around the hills).

Anyway, the memory is that it was morning, the sun was bright and high, and the ground was still wet with dew. I wanted to check out the hill, so me and Cody went out (it's a very low traffic area with lots of field, so she rarely had a leash on, and she was still kinda new to us at the time) and ran along the field to get to the hill. That's about it, I think. I'd like to see that again, though. I know everything is different when you're young, but it feels like things were brighter, quieter, and fresher back in the day. Totally untrue, I know, but I just wana run with my dog on that morning again when I was little.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Playing vintage games at arcades. Now that was living.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

going back to any christmas day with my grandparents still there.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    There was a small grocery store open in town owned by a couple. The next town over had 2 dedicated grocery stores but the small one here did good business. Sort of a bodega type shop but they had a full deli and a few arcade games. Eventually one of the couple died, the other sold off. The building got used as a warehouse by the local hardware store for a couple years, until that moved out, and now the building is just abandoned. It's probably one thing from the 80s I'd visit well if I could time travel.

Though I don't need a time machine for my other memory, my first toy, Twittle. My original one has seen better days- no music box, matted fuzz. But I found two more on eBay the past couple of months in generally better shape and one of them has a working music box. I get to wind up and hear its tune play again.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, my childhood memories are kinda hazy and scrambled due to the various head trauma I suffered as a kid.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    going back to any christmas day with my grandparents still there.
    i'd second this one.. we've only got one left..
    Geek Media -

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    anyone have a memory of something so strong, you wish you could check it out again as an adult?
    No, not really. My childhood was filled with abuse
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm three, maybe four years old on a bitterly cold winter night and my mother wakes me up at what must have been close to midnight. She carries me through the dim lights in our home to a window, that's completely frosted over -- there were no Thermopane windows in those 1950s days; only thin single panes of glass. When she asks me, "Do you know why the window is all frosted over?", I shake my head no. She answers, "Because it's so very cold outside." She gently presses my small hand against the cold window pane for a long moment and then moves it away, the warmth of my hand having melted my hand's shape on the window. When she asks, "Do you know why that happened?", I say, "No, Mommy. Why?" She looks at me in the dim light and replies, "Because there's so much love in our home that it's always warm in here."

It's been six decades since that night and my mother has long ago passed on to another plain of existence. But that sweet memory lives forever in my mind and has become a legacy that Kim and I happily pass on to our own children, drawing pleasure in knowing that they shall, in turn, pass it on to theirs.

My grandparents owned a penny candy carousel where they sold candies. They kept the stock in their basement and we'd get to raid it everytime we came over. Tootsie Rolls and Charleston Chews while playing Smurfs on the Colecovision.

Christmas 1985 at my Grandparent's house. Woke up and snuck into the living room to find that Santa had left me Castle Grayskull, BA He-Man & Skelly as well as Battlecat.

Okay, whoever started this thread is just trying to make us all cry... excuse me...
    Back, even if it's just for a short while.

I think 1 (of 2) things I would've NEVER done was sell my entire set of figures to one of my friends cause now I could imagine how having them would feel as I see many others who have theirs. That and not selling my original copy of Incredible Hulk #181.....
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I miss driving trips my family used to take. We drove from California to Kentucky to visit family. Along the way we would stop and see landmarks along the way like Mt. Rushmore, Johnson Space Center in Houston, the site where JFK was assassinated. Some of my fondest memories were on those trips. Nowadays its too expensive to do those trips with gas prices the way they are
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    That and not selling my original copy of Incredible Hulk #181.....
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I'd go back to Christmas 1980, just to see my family members who passed on.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Where to begin?

I would love to revisit the times when my grandparents would invite all the relatives for a big Thanksgiving and Christmas get together and feast. When they passed on, the tradition died with them.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    Where to begin?

I would love to revisit the times when my grandparents would invite all the relatives for a big Thanksgiving and Christmas get together and feast. When they passed on, the tradition died with them.
    Just a suggestion -- and yes, I understand that unsolicited advice is generally more highly regarded by the donor than the recipient.

How about you restarting the tradition? If you don't have family then you could a holiday dinner for friends and some day they may write about the amazing memories you created for them. You can even entertain them with stories about your childhood holiday memories. In this way you do get to revisit those wonderful long ago holiday times and your grandparents' loving legacy is renewed and lives on...to the benefit of all.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 22, 2013 at 03:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    I think 1 (of 2) things I would've NEVER done was sell my entire set of figures to one of my friends cause now I could imagine how having them would feel as I see many others who have theirs. That and not selling my original copy of Incredible Hulk #181.....

i gave all mine to my cousin..but apparently he never throws anything away, so there's a small chance they might still be there..
    Geek Media -

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    After reading this thread, I miss my grandparents even more!

If I could, I would go back to when my grandparents were moving. My maternal grandfather had died and his wife was mentally ill, unable to care for herself. She had to move in with us. I was 14 at the time. I wish I had gotten a camera and shot as many rolls of film as I could've of my maternal grandparents' home. I would do the same with my paternal grandparents. Thankfully, when my last grandparent, my paternal grandmother died, I shot several rolls of film of the house she'd moved into.

The first grandparent I lost was my maternal grandfather. My last grandparent, my paternal grandmother, died exactly 19 years and 51 weeks later.
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."