Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Universe Versus Masters of the Universe Mini-Series #1 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

DC Universe Versus Masters of the Universe Mini-Series #1 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

This is the official talkback thread for DC Universe versus MOTU#1! This thread is tagged as a spoiler, so read onward if you've already read the issue or risk being spoiled.

Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Just downloaded and read through it quickly, I really like it and the direction its going. Nice to see Marlena in here and Evil-Lyn teaming up with the Masters. Skeletor's new look is better illustrated here, you can clearly see those aren't tusks on his head but the havoc staff horns.

Will read it properly when I get more time.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Chewer of Trollans
    Ugh... This is an example of two steps back. It is especially painful to read after the excellent issue 5 from the regular series.

Teela once again acts like an immature "good-as-the-boys" grouch instead of the confident woman she should be.
    He-Man joins her by acting like a wise-cracking Spider-man instead of the most powerfulman in the universe.
    Marlena was a pleasant surprise, but why does she suddenly hit Constantine?
    I had no problem with Skeletor, but making the Earth even remotely an untapped magical font greater than Eternia is a disservice to the mythos.

Heroic Warrior
    Really enjoyed this issue and seeing DC building up the MOTU world. Some points:

- Great to see Marlena alive and well. It makes sense that she is on Earth, but I would never have guessed it. Good job DC.
    - This may not be in DC continuity but it certainly seems canon to MOTU. Like others have said, this seems to to take place between issues #6 and #7 in the ongoing series
    - There seems to be an implication that Adora is still alive, but I guess we won't know for sure for another month
    - Never thought about the lack of mages on Earth despite all the magic, but it does seem to be true
    - Skeletor's new look will take some getting used to IMO
    - I liked Evil-Lyn's characterization here. Seemed better than in the initial miniseries
    - I also liked the slight jab at the name Justice League
    - We need more Teela/Evil-Lyn banter

I think this issue is a good start. Looking forward to more!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Marlena at the beginning was an awesome suprise! Very glad she's not dead. One question though: WHY is DC making all the characters blone?!

Teela and Evil-Lyn together at the campfire was very reminiscent of the Filmation episode "The Witch and the Warrior" where they team up. Their interactions were good. Teela's dialogue with everyone else though...terrible, again. Teela AND Black Alice are written exactly the same and both are equally annoying.

I don't like all the jabs and disses on MOTU and DC put into the story. I mean...the people reading this are FANS of both or at least ONE of the franchises...I don't like the self-deprecating angle they're using. Evil-Lyn joking about men wearing panties over their trousers is ridiculous...especially seeing as how awful most of the character designs in this book are: Ninja Stratos, He-Iron-Man, Hulk/Juggernaut Skeletor...with horns, etc. It makes the book feel like a parody and not a true MOTU book.

I'm interested to see where the story goes, but I REALLY hope it improves. When Star Wars Episode 1 came out (and to this day), many people say it's very boring and the worst of all the Star Wars films. I enjoyed it, but this is the worst of MOTU and MORE boring than Episode 1. All this talk about violating the accord...zzzzzzzzz. I mean, it's better than just having fighting over 10+ pages with no story (the first issue of the DC MOTU comics), but just barely.

I also don't buy this Earth having very few mages opposed to Eternia. Are you serious? There are SO many on Earth it's crazy. More than Eternia. That was a weird story point to me. The IDEA of this cross over (so far) is better than a lot of other comic cross overs I've read, but it's not being executed very well, which saddens me. This will be the FIRST introduction to MOTU for a new generation and it's not nearly as awesome as it SHOULD and COULD be.

Like others have said, the MAIN DC MOTU comic keeps getting better and better. This issue, I feel, is a step backwards. It DOES have some good parts and ideas (ex. powerful women who are important to the story and are NOT being murdered "just because"), but the writing just isn't there. I remember when everyone was telling us Keith Giffin was a good writer and we were all excited about him coming on board. I'm still waiting for the good writing. If this is a new "modern" approach where everyone is cynical, sarcastic and snarky...I just don't like it. I mean, SOME characters can act that way (preferably NOT Teela), but when they all do...it becomes a chore to read. It really drains the series of the epic feel it should have, in my opinion.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Very interesting to see DC use Marlena as a focal point (makes sense) and Constantine as a link between worlds...... Skelly banished(?) to Earth is a nice touch.

It's got promise.

It's a really solid read .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Marlena at the beginning was an awesome suprise! Very glad she's not dead. One question though: WHY is DC making all the characters blone?!
    As Jukka pointed out to me, Marlena ALWAYS changes her hair color every universe...

Pre-Filmation = White
    Filmation = Red
    NA = Blue
    MYP = Brunette
    New 52 DC = Blonde

I don't like all the jabs and disses on MOTU and DC put into the story. I mean...the people reading this are FANS of both or at least ONE of the franchises...I don't like the self-deprecating angle they're using. Evil-Lyn joking about men wearing panties over their trousers is ridiculous...especially seeing as how awful most of the character designs in this book are: Ninja Stratos, He-Iron-Man, Hulk/Juggernaut Skeletor...with horns, etc. It makes the book feel like a parody and not a true MOTU book.
    While DC made fun of Masters of the Universe as a team name, they also ragged on themselves with the underwear thing.

I also don't buy this Earth having very few mages opposed to Eternia. Are you serious? There are SO many on Earth it's crazy. More than Eternia. That was a weird story point to me. The IDEA of this cross over (so far) is better than a lot of other comic cross overs I've read, but it's not being executed very well, which saddens me. This will be the FIRST introduction to MOTU for a new generation and it's not nearly as awesome as it SHOULD and COULD be.
    I think they mean that magic is far less commonplace on Earth than it is on Eternia, a sword and sorcery world. On Eternia, dragons and undead exist while they are not so common on Earth.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I really, really enjoyed this book. I don't read DC other than MOTU so I hope the rest of the DC characters are good when they finally show up.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Have split comments in two. One for general remarks and one for the story or plot remarks.

General remarks

The story sets the scene nicely for why the Masters are on Earth and aiming to stop Skeletor.

Not keen on the artwork or overly bright colouring at times, but can live with it.

The spoken English particularly on Eternia is not as good as it could be.

There’s no mention of Adora/She-Ra/Despara, just of Adam’s sister. Assuming this story arc has started after the conclusion of the present MOTU series this could give three main options for her:
    1. She’s dead as has been speculated;
    2. She’s continuing to lead Hordak’s forces on Eternia as Despara and is gradually suppressing the remaining ‘rebels’. One variation on this idea is that she is secretly working for the rebels and transforming to She-Ra when needed; or
    3. She’s leading the Eternian rebels against the Horde (in He-Man's absence) as she’s an experienced leader & warrior, has the Power, is royalty and has the best understanding of Horde capabilities and weaknesses (this would be a nice play on the She-Ra Filmation Series where she led the Etherian rebels against the Horde occupying forces).

Story

The Horde Troopers put up a poor fight against the Masters on Eternia. You would think that the Horde Empire with all their technology, sciences and magic would have created more effective soldiers or ‘cannon fodder’. Give me a weapon, some trained soldiers expert in guerrilla warfare and I’ll have them on the run in no time…..

Marlena's long awaited return is great and she’s living in the Big Apple! She also refers to herself as the “Warrior Queen of Eternia” while socking a verbally disrespectful John Constantine. I'm now expecting, she’ll be socking Teela when she next opens her mouth and is disrespectful to someone!

John Constantine knows of Skeletor and Skeletor knows of John Constantine. Both knowing each other from myth. There’s therefore an historical connection between Earth and Eternia.

Skeletor’s master knows Black Alice and is after Earth’s magic. Presumably, this means he/she is a malevolent magic user.

We learn that according to myth Eternia is the source of creation, but it also implied that Earth has more magic with “… near limitless power.”. Which raises the question of what this mean for He-Man and She-Ra as according to MOTU canon they are the most powerful in the universe? Is their power purely from Eternia or can they also tap the power of the planets they are on (Note She-Ra calls upon the “Power of all Etheria” in the She-Ra Filmation episode “Glimmer's Story”)? If the latter they would be capable of demonstrating more power on Earth.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; September 4, 2013 at 05:17pm.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

I really liked it! It's becoming clear they've put some thought into building the world of MOTU, and have been for a while.

But He-Man & Skeletor's new looks do make it hard to read--I have to focus more than usual and remind myself of who they are.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    I thought it was a great issue, just short, but it's a nice cliff-hanger so I'm left anticipating issue two. Hopefully Teela will mature, I think perhaps she is written so that her character grows into being the Sorceress. Like they are setting her up for a big change and allowing there to be a space for character growth. Skeletor's look is growing on me. I still think have issue with the whole missing lower jaw and helmet set up, but overall I'm more onboard than I was initially. I think if the series continues and gains more readers we could see more changes. It seems like Mattel is really just trying new things to see what works and what doesn't, and I think it's out of love for the brand and really wanting to see it grow again.

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    Wow this out already?!?
    I need to get my butt in gear.
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

I liked it, but it confused me.
    Why is Marlena back on earth? I thought Skeletor killed her off.
    Skeletor looks Silly. He knows who Constantine is? Why?
    Following the infinite probability universe deal, I can accept that the Current main DC universe is the same as the MotU Universe, separated only by space. That that earth is an untapped magical wellspring makes no sense. Ho many evil mages would have tapped that power source for themselves by now?
    Putting DC and MotU in the same universe opens some interesting doors. The "Orko the Villain" is much more plausible when you consider who Orko might have actually been. Mr. Mxyztplk immediately comes to mind.

I hope the answers are forthcoming, and we don't just end up in a battle royal.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    As Jukka pointed out to me, Marlena ALWAYS changes her hair color every universe...

Pre-Filmation = White
    Filmation = Red
    NA = Blue
    MYP = Brunette
    New 52 DC = Blonde
    She was also Blonde in the Alcala mini-comics:

http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I really like it!
    But dont like the new look of Stratos

Well this seems to be a like thread for this and there are some things to like such as the ideas attempted to seemingly link these universes together (which is interesting) with some legitimacy... But it still is something short or a well done burger.

It seems we will never get rid of this snarky Teela and that is a damn shame. For someone who is at least at this point the current sorceress (or soon to be) and Captain of the Royal Guard (if she still is in this canon) she has deteriorated into a pure adolescent B-word.

I guess with everything the current 52 universe is going through the idea to shoehorn this crossover for MOTU fans i feel lost what could have been something even better if they maybe widened the scale... Considering this starts with JL Dark and somehow involves the Justice League it would;ve have been nice to see something bigger possibly run through other books and titles... I'd love to see Aquaman vs Merman, Moss Man vs Swamp Thing and some others I'm sure could really go well considering the potential the theme this story is going with.

This reminds me of that inventory Bendis story from Marvel "The Age of Ultron"... that was just show-horned in until we got Infinity.

(On another note: a friend of mine went to the the shop today to pick up his books and mentioned he was slightly interested in this crossover up until he saw what appeared to be Skeletor and quickly pushed the book back on the shelf...)
    Last edited by Nemisythe; September 4, 2013 at 09:32pm.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

John Constantine is SUCH a great character. I'm really pleased to see him added to the crossover. It'll make for a really fun dynamic. I was just expecting to see the JLA Big 5.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

not a bad first issue.

I am trying to figure out when it takes place in respect to the regular series as it def seems to be tied to it.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

The only complaint I have is Teela. I have no problem with her sassiness level, but I do have a problem with her specific dialogue. "He was looking at my butt, the perv," is something you'd hear a 14 year old girl in Claire's say, not a woman raised as a warrior on a fantasy planet. She's constantly using nomenclature that doesn't fit with the world of Eternia. It's really the same problem as the entire regular series so far. Keith Giffen seems far more concerned with trying to create "witty" dialogue than consistancy of character.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlor View Post
    It's really the same problem as the entire regular series so far. Keith Giffen seems far more concerned with trying to create "witty" dialogue than consistancy of character.
    sounds like a 'consistent' problem :P

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    sounds like a 'consistent' problem :P
    Howlor speaks the truth.

Sorry to say this, but it sucks IMHO.

I can understand the story needs a little more time for it to simmer, but the concept behind it sounds cheesy thus far, and the dialogue was also uncreative, and even annoying at times!

The character designs weren't attractive either, especially He-Man, he looked more like an older version of MYP's Adam with a new superhero costume, and Skeletor simply looked terrible! Initially I was fooled by the released cover art, but now after reading it, I wasn't impressed in anyway... This crossover thing needs major improvements.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

WARNING: SEXIST MALE RESPONSE AHEAD

I think.. Yes. This, I think.

http://maneus.deviantart.com/art/Tee...oman-178620642
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I am trying to figure out when it takes place in respect to the regular series as it def seems to be tied to it.
    Ah the joys of trying to figure out "where does this belong?"

Reminds me of 2012 when we had mini-series and digital issues. With NO information about whether they are supposed to work together or what. (only after both ended, can one see how they fit and where. But during the time? Not really. Part from first digital preceding first printed issue.)