Thread: What is up with these auctions?

What is up with these auctions?

I see this seller 'tbleegu' has many loose MOTUC figures listed:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=37649496136
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=84855718763
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=58094479207

The weird thing is, he has multiples for sale, many with missing or wrong colored accessories. I also noticed he's located in Hong Kong, and MOTUC is made in China. Is it possible these are factory rejects, or some sort of bootleg extra run of figures done off hours? Has anyone ever ordered from this guy?
    Last edited by goluphi; February 20, 2013 at 12:44am.

It looks as though he used some accessories from other figures and possible weapons packs.

Missing accessories isn't a big deal on many ebay auctions or even here could have been used for custom, or just lost/broken.

But yes being from Hong Kong is an issue, not that it is in this case but generic rules of ebay don't buy from Hong Kong and don't sell over seas (with certain countries being worse).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by madrage View Post
    It looks as though he used some accessories from other figures and possible weapons packs.
    Here's what's weird to me, which makes me think that's it's more than just a careless collector, or customizer. He has two Moss Men, both missing their serene faces:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271147785557

A Mekaneck with a silver club? I can't seem to find that ever even being offered in a weapons pack. Also, his mask seems especially misaligned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271157605827

Two Prince Adams, yellow swords instead of purple?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTUC-He-Man...item417066f3e8

Shadow Weaver prototype?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/He-Man-Maste...item4170f02940

A lot of his other auctions have randomly missing items. Seems odd to me. And that's only looking at the items he has for sale. It gets weirder once you start looking at his history. My prevailing theory is that he has an "in" at the factory and is able to get his hands on factory extras. Has anyone ever bought anything from this seller?
    Last edited by goluphi; February 20, 2013 at 12:57am.

I do agree with wyldman11 that you should use caution when buying overseas. I have personally purchased items from Hong Kong and have had no issues, but this is not with every case.

As far as an item being a prototype, I tend to disbelieve its authenticity.
    As far as an item looking different or misshaped, it could have been damaged or repainted.
    I hope that helps.

He's a test shot seller from Hong Kong, these are likely mostly rescued figures from the dumpsters behind factories... or in some cases maybe taken from the assembly line... though I don't want to accuse anyone of that, but I believe that is sometimes the case with these hong kong sellers. I've purchased from him before, great dude.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    He's a test shot seller from Hong Kong, these are likely mostly rescued figures from the dumpsters behind factories... or in some cases maybe taken from the assembly line... though I don't want to accuse anyone of that, but I believe that is sometimes the case with these hong kong sellers. I've purchased from him before, great dude.
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Bet that shadow weaver goes for less than the painted version.....good option for those that are looking for a cheaper one! I'd be tempted on that Kronos too. good for someone looking for a second trap jaw.

He's been selling Fistos like crazy. Maybe he found the missing shipment.

GIJOE collectors affectionately refer to China sellers with factory extra stock as "Midnight Cheese".

Basically a worker in the factory gets a hold of extra test shots or unused production items and gets them out of the factory to sell themselves or to sell to a buyer. The items end up on ebay because people in China are recognizing the demand for them. The items are supposed to be destroyed at the factory, but they somehow make it out anyway. The randomness of the items available is primarily due to the person at the factory not knowing what the items are when they "acquire" them. I wish there was an official way for the factories to sell off unused stock.

I bought 2 GIJOE Alley Vipers intended to be sold in the Defense of Cobra Island 7-pack set before the 7-packs made it to the US. The figures arrived quickly and the price with shipping was only 15 bucks. The figures were the same as the 7-pack release, but they didn't come with the stands.

I see the legal issues from this practice but also see the value to collectors. Like I mentioned above, if there was a way to clear out old stock on ebay (from the factory) so we could get what we want and factories could get rid of old stock, that would be super cool.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    He's been selling Fistos like crazy. Maybe he found the missing shipment.
    Probably. I imagine that the Fistos that were supposed to go into the boxes that Sorceress ended up in got produced, they just never got put into boxes. Mattel probably should have either shipped them out loose to subscribers who wanted them, or packaged them up, but I'm sure both options had their issues. So, instead, they've probably just been sitting in storage somewhere rotting (until this guy got his hands on some of them).