Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartoons and censorship

Often, it's a matter of who holds the rights. We somwhow got the entire 90s Earthworm Jim cartoon on DVD, which is a miracle- supposedly the rights were intentionally buried because David Perry at Shiny hates the cartoon and chose to make sure it could not be released. Don't know why he changed his mind- maybe the cartoon's rights changed hands, maybe he needed the money.

Sometimes a studio doesn't feel it's worth the cost of manufacturing DVDs and marketing if they think a set won't sell well, especially if there's matters over licensing the footage, music, etc. This is one reason why Shout and Mill Creek release so many cheap DVDs- they buy the licenses for practically nothing and don't spend money on remastering or advertising.
    It seems this forum is now filled with people who are more offended by the Star Wars movies than they are of the fact our president is a traitor or that the Supreme Court now has a certified rapist sitting on it. He-Man & She-Ra wold be ashamed to have people like you as fans.

Heroic Warrior
    Well on tvshowsondvd.com they reported Warner has postponed Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 reportedly due to such negative backlash

It's so silly. I really hate that the world has become so PC. It ruined everything funny.

Could you imagine Married with Children being made today it would be completey different and prob would be canceled after 3 episodes...

I got 2 words 4 letters each for that...figure it out.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Found it. "Constant Payne" got canned before it even aired due to 9/11 media softening

Heroic Warrior
    Well maybe it means Warner will go back and include "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" like they originally promised even said they cleaned it up remastered it then chose not to include it and the fans made their voices heard so now Warner postponed the June release.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Found it. "Constant Payne" got canned before it even aired due to 9/11 media softening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fR6gLQ2C8
    That was awesome. A shame there was such bad timing with the union organizing and the media worries over violent content....which didn't last very long.

How about the Mighty Mouse new adventures's episode Littlest Tramp with the so-called "Cocaine" scene?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post

Yet the other side of me totally agrees in the fact that if I had a son or daughter that would feel sad if they saw these cartoons or saw them at a friend's house then I would want them removed forever.

I've learned that there is always a way to get these cartoons through some source (youtube, burned dvds, downloads, laserdisc, etc...) so it doesn't really worry me much other than they will never go through a nice restoration. I would rather make that small sacrifice than know the release actually brought shame or offended somebody. It just isn't worth it to me.
    That's about where I fall too. I find the originals a quaint part of our history... but when I get classic cartoons it's for the entertainment value. I want kids to see better cartoons than what they deal with now and love what I love... and honestly, I don't feel like explaining WWII satire to a 5 year old. I don't really WANT them learning about racism from a cartoon cat or duck... and I don't want to have deep philosophical conversations about things that won't make sense to them in the world they live in.

I want to see Goofy skiing down a hill in all it's hilarity.

I think they end up censoring a lot more then they should... but there are definitely a few corner cases that I'm fine with a company not being proud of and letting fade into history.

A pleasure, Mr. Wick Blue Jester's Avatar
    I watched Song of the South last year and found it kinda boring.

And now Apu is controversial. Wonder how that'll turn out.

I certainly think there have been cases of censorship that was unnecessary. But I'm not necessarily opposed to censorship if there is a good reason.

I'm working on my own personal edit of Transformers Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory. These 3 anime series continue the original Transformers story after the original Transformers cartoon ended in the US. There is plenty of cussing, racial slurs, sexism, ageism, ablism, and all kinds of inappropriate stuff that would never appear in the US cartoon. In my edit, I cut all that stuff out. And you know what? It didn't ruin the story one bit. I enjoy it a gazillion times more with a more light hearted tone.

And in regards to Abu, I don't get it. I mean, yes, he's a bad stereotype. But isn't just about every character on that show some form of blatant stereotype? If someone was offended by the entire show I could understand. But I don't understand the outrage with Abu while ignoring everything else.
    Last edited by FAKER II; March 23, 2019 at 07:10pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

On the other hand, cartoons since the 90s to now often get away with things that no censor in the 70s or 80s would allow- which is true for many TV shows(there is NO WAY Family Guy would have made it on the air in the 80s, it makes Married With Children look TAME). Bear in mind that toons in the 30s and 40s were often more aimed at adult audiences and generally used as an intro before a movie, it wasn't until later that they began being marketed for children- and even then Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry often had enough violence to put NCIS to shame and only got away with it as no one bled or died. But it was the 30s and 40s so there were still a lot of social taboos at the time which is why many of those cartoons seem tame to us.

On the other hand there were some cartoons back then that were exceptionally racist by any standards, and even lesser-feeling moments probably were to a degree, anything done before or even at the time of the civil rights movement was going to be shaped by the social attitudes of the time.

Often, it's a matter of who holds the rights. We somwhow got the entire 90s Earthworm Jim cartoon on DVD, which is a miracle- supposedly the rights were intentionally buried because David Perry at Shiny hates the cartoon and chose to make sure it could not be released. Don't know why he changed his mind- maybe the cartoon's rights changed hands, maybe he needed the money.
    I was off somewhat, it was Doug TenNapel(who did only superficial work on the games to begin with but acts like he's the sole creator) who kept the show from being released for years, and only relented due to wanting/needing money(and then the actual quality of the set was questionable, it was a cheap budget set you can buy now on clearance). I won't really get into the full details but anyone familiar with TenNapel's behavior in the past wouldn't need a full explanation and in the case of the show it was acknowledging ideas that he doesn't agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jester View Post
    I watched Song of the South last year and found it kinda boring.

And now Apu is controversial. Wonder how that'll turn out.
    From what I gathered over that, it was less about Apu's character and more about Groening being a massive egotist who refuses to listen to anyone not kissing up to him, even though his glory days are long gone and this show( and Futurama) is the only thing he's remotely got going for him despite so many people saying the show died years ago. He flipped out over legit commentary that wasn't even meant to be totally derogatory of the character or show. Not that it mattered to me, I haven't seen the show in ages nor have I cared to, I gave up on Groening's work when he made it clear he's an RIAA propaganda puppet and really, after so many seasons, the show ran out of steam or ideas.

On the other hand, cartoons since the 90s to now often get away with things that no censor in the 70s or 80s would allow- which is true for many TV shows(there is NO WAY Family Guy would have made it on the air in the 80s, it makes Married With Children look TAME). Bear in mind that toons in the 30s and 40s were often more aimed at adult audiences and generally used as an intro before a movie, it wasn't until later that they began being marketed for children- and even then Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry often had enough violence to put NCIS to shame and only got away with it as no one bled or died. But it was the 30s and 40s so there were still a lot of social taboos at the time which is why many of those cartoons seem tame to us.

On the other hand there were some cartoons back then that were exceptionally racist by any standards, and even lesser-feeling moments probably were to a degree, anything done before or even at the time of the civil rights movement was going to be shaped by the social attitudes of the time.

I was off somewhat, it was Doug TenNapel(who did only superficial work on the games to begin with but acts like he's the sole creator) who kept the show from being released for years, and only relented due to wanting/needing money(and then the actual quality of the set was questionable, it was a cheap budget set you can buy now on clearance). I won't really get into the full details but anyone familiar with TenNapel's behavior in the past wouldn't need a full explanation and in the case of the show it was acknowledging ideas that he doesn't agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I gathered over that, it was less about Apu's character and more about Groening being a massive egotist who refuses to listen to anyone not kissing up to him, even though his glory days are long gone and this show( and Futurama) is the only thing he's remotely got going for him despite so many people saying the show died years ago. He flipped out over legit commentary that wasn't even meant to be totally derogatory of the character or show. Not that it mattered to me, I haven't seen the show in ages nor have I cared to, I gave up on Groening's work when he made it clear he's an RIAA propaganda puppet and really, after so many seasons, the show ran out of steam or ideas.
    What about stuff like Watership Down, Heavy Metal, Fantastic Planet, Wizards, The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Fire and Ice, American Pop, Spawn TAS, Bojack Horseman, Fritz the Cat, Plague Dogs, DC animated movies even Dark Knight Returns, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Princess Mononoke with various stuff from Japan etc.? all proof animation was not just for kids
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.