Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Castle Grayskull Dungeon : REVIEW [contains links]

3D Grayskull Dungeon Kit : INFO/REVIEW [contains links]

[Mods : I was unsure because this review contained links to the page it was sold from if it should be placed here or in the standard classics or vintage section or markeplace so I located it here for safety. If it is mislocated please relocate as required. Thanks]

[FIRST OFF! I DID NOT MAKE THIS! I JUST PURCHASED ONE FOR MYSELF AN REVIEWED IT!]

CASTLE GRAYSKULL 3D DUNGEON KIT : REVIEW

After the announcement that the Classics Grayskull would NOT include a 3D sculpted dungeon. With that, I decided that I would track down and purchase one of the fan made 3D Dungeon Kits, for use in either my vintage or classics grayskull playset.
    I recently shared a link over on my facebook as to where I finally located it still for sale, that link is reposted here below...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/97063307...88381481237582

... then and alot of ppl here and on facebook were asking me about the scale of it in regards to vintage vs classics figures. but primarily if it would be in scale for classics Grayskull when it comes out. Well that I cant tell you for 100% fact info as I do not have a classics grayskull in hand to judge. But, since Classics grayskull won't "initially" come with anything but a sticker now. I figured that it could not hurt to pick one up... jsut in case... lol.

I got mine in the mail today. I immediately then went and compared it to the vintage Castle Grayskull dungeon sticker. It is EXACTLY the same size as the vintage one. I then went and placed a classics figure on top of it to judge scale for classics.

OK, here is my tiny review of the product.

Here is exactly what arrives...

Durability.
    ===================
    Its basically a tough made light canary yellow casted material, and comes with 2 tiny little zip lock bags that has the 2 large hands and the 1 part casting that has the insect legs to all fit into slots an glue in place onto the kit. All of which are easy to fit into the main part of the dungeon, each having form fitted slots for each part so no confusion of location can occur.

I did purposefully drop it a few times an it can take it with no chipping! Its tough made!
    But I would HIGHLY recommend caution as some of the tiny little parts that stick out might snap if u were to drop figures onto it or it fall a wrong way.
    SO DO NOT SET IT ON THE EDGE OF TABLES!

Weight.
    ===================
    It has "roughly" the same weight of a classics Heman figure with all accessories. So it is very light weight.

Scale.
    ===================
    Vintage = 1-to-1 scale - model dungeon is exactly same size as the vintage sticker.
    Classics = slightly smaller, but given that the dungeon in the new grayskull we are getting will be enclosed inside a room, this will still work.. either way if you choose to not even use those walls.

Painting
    ===================
    I tested acrylic paints on the model kit an they stick very well. I would assume that citadel or any other model paint designed ot work with resins, ceramics, or plastics would also be fine.

So once assembled you could paint it like any of the following ways or be original an paint it your own way...

Vintage accurate paint job...

[this image is from the 4H version for classics grayskull that was cut, thsi is not the Dungeon Kit! Image is only shown for color reference for painting]
    Vintage realistic update paint job...

...or..

Thematic Darker Dungeon with glow in dark paints...
    [Lit - no glowing]

[Dark - with glow activated]

...an thats my basic review of there product.

Enjoy guys.
    Last edited by Replikor; February 22, 2013 at 07:09am.

Just picked one up thanks for the review.

Very cool. Wish I could paint.....otherwise I'd entertain in getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Very cool. Wish I could paint.....otherwise I'd entertain in getting one.
    im with ya...no way i could paint that to look nice...no way...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

Cool review Replikor! Yeah, I've been telling everyone I can about this since it got dropped from Grayskull. I wanted to get one at PowerCon but they ran out! Mine is on the way to me as well. The Working Class Villains guys are great and I'm happy to see this project get some more love!

So did you paint yours? I'd love to see the end results. I am going to paint mine more realistic, I think.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Love the glow in the dark version, looks awesome. Thanks for the review!

VERY cool! Thanks for bringing this to my attention Replikor
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Very cool. May have to pick one up.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

This is a great piece. It kicks the crap out of a sticker. Thank you for this post Replikor.

When did you order yours? I order mine about a week ago or more. Still havnt received it.

I've admired this piece for some time. When I have Grayskull in hand, I will definitely be adding this to my dungeon.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Quote Originally Posted by ninja man View Post
    When did you order yours? I order mine about a week ago or more. Still havnt received it.
    As I recall I ordered mine about 2 and a half weeks ago. Gotta member these are custom casted. So they only make them when ppl order. So give them about 3 weeks for safety, but you can always contact them on that link I posted to their sale page listing if your getting worried about an order. I did a day or so after ordering when I was asking about tracking numbers.

Heroic Warrior
    Waah! No U.K. shipping!

If someone wants to buy two, I'll paint one and return it in trade for the other

Funny enough i recieved mine today. Really nice cast with tons of detail. This is a really nice piece. Now I just wish I was a master painter!

Hey, thanks for the review for our grate kit Replikor! Any exposure boost is always appreciated, especially when it's from a happy customer. Just wanted to clarify a few things though. In the images of the painted grates above, the second one down is actually the cut Grayskull grate sculpted by the 4 Horsemen and not our kit. And to IrrepressableDH, we do ship to the UK, but the shipping method is up to you as long as you pay any & all shipping &/or customs fees. We've shippedva few to the UK and Germany without any problem in the past. Thanks again for the review!
    Good people to trade with!:
    Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, Zovex (x3), KingKahn, miscus555, Kaijukilla, Gigatron, big_truk_convoy, Andrea the Cat, Bigassbuzz (x2), Dawg88, zodak74 (x2), pistolpete1969, sandrockgundam04, Rexplode, TekkamanSol, Lay Ze-Man, djblizzard, brock_snyder, Spikewolfe, rocky_raccoon, Zordak, npbaity, JeMaBo2,

Quote Originally Posted by Toygiant View Post
    Hey, thanks for the review for our grate kit Replikor! Any exposure boost is always appreciated, especially when it's from a happy customer. Just wanted to clarify a few things though. In the images of the painted grates above, the second one down is actually the cut Grayskull grate sculpted by the 4 Horsemen and not our kit. And to IrrepressableDH, we do ship to the UK, but the shipping method is up to you as long as you pay any & all shipping &/or customs fees. We've shippedva few to the UK and Germany without any problem in the past. Thanks again for the review!
    Ya, I was just using the 4H image as a "paint reference" for ppl who might want to paint the kit with a different paint job.
    But I will go back an clarify the post just so it is clear tho.

..I LOVE THIS 3D Dungeon Kit! WOW!

PLEASE sell us your grayskull robot you showed off now for the vintage castle as well, lol!
    Last edited by Replikor; February 22, 2013 at 07:14am.

Just got mine in the mail today and now comes the fun part painting it.
    Time for me to break out the citadel miniature paints and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Just got mine in the mail today and now comes the fun part painting it.
    Time for me to break out the citadel miniature paints and get to work.
    AWESOME Mop! Make sure to update us with how yours turns out with some pics!

Gonna have to get one of these for myself when I get some extra $$$. Too awesome not to have!
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toygiant View Post
    IrrepressableDH, we do ship to the UK, but the shipping method is up to you as long as you pay any & all shipping &/or customs fees. We've shippedva few to the UK and Germany without any problem in the past. Thanks again for the review!
    I tried to order but the page won't let me. I PMed you, please reply

Here's my paint-up of the great by the awesome Working Class Villains guys! I don't have a ton of experience with this kind of detailed work. But I was pretty happy with the way it turned out overall. Such a great piece. Having it in hand, I could really appreciate all the details. I love the 4H... but to be honest, I actually think I liked this one better than the one they sculpted for the Classics CG.

CG-Grate-2.jpgCG-Grate-3.jpgCG-Grate-4.jpgCG-Grate-5.jpg
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Thanks for sharing this, this is the one item that I was really disappointed to hear that they cut from classics Grayskull. Gonna order one post haste. Now I heard someone else mention the robot/knight/ spacesuit? Any chance we can make that happen as well?

I ordered one of these after hearing about it being cut from the castle. It arrived the other day, and I'm still deciding how I wanted to tackle this bad boy. And I'll admit, it's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be, and that's a good thing!
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Here's my paint-up of the great by the awesome Working Class Villains guys! I don't have a ton of experience with this kind of detailed work. But I was pretty happy with the way it turned out overall. Such a great piece. Having it in hand, I could really appreciate all the details. I love the 4H... but to be honest, I actually think I liked this one better than the one they sculpted for the Classics CG.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8110/8...fd3726f1_c.jpg

CG-Grate-2.jpgCG-Grate-3.jpgCG-Grate-4.jpgCG-Grate-5.jpg
    Looks great! Good job!