Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mattycollector Video: Club Filmation & Batman/MOTUC Comparison

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Because DC (licensor) doesn't like it's property to share parts with other lines. They were not happy about the use of the Wonder Twins eagle as Zoar/Screech.
    That sucks! I really hope Mattel reuses DCUC Hawkman's wings for MotUC Vultak and Angella. Those wings are so nicely sculpted (by the 4H) and articulated (unlike Swift Wind's disappointingly "static" wings), they fit perfectly well with MotUC figures (as shown by a Sun Man custom), and the reuse would free up precious tooling dollars for better use with other new parts (e.g., Hunga's unique feathered dragon-like wings).

Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Glad to get these updates. Not much news here unless you did not pay attention to NYTF, but still fun to see all that FILMATION goodness again!!! I am SO PUMPED for that mini-sub!!!!! Proof again that Mattel/Scott do listen to the fans as many of us here on the org have been begging for this for years

While I do like the updates, and genuinely appreciate Scott for providing us with whatever information he can--to me it always comes across like some huckster trying to sell me something.
    Oh wait....it is.

How dare he.

I don't have a problem with re-used parts, but some people feel they should be getting 100% new sculpts all the time, or that the MOTUC parts somehow can't be used for other purposes. If that was the case, customizers couldn't create a thing.

And in this case it makes sense to reuse parts. Now If I ever see a Barbie Doll with Skeletor arms, then I will give a little "side eye", but muscle men swapping parts is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I just hope this isnt a bad sign that the Filmation sub isnt hitting the numbers mattel wanted from it...
    I am very optimistic about the Filmation sub. Don't be afraid, all will be well.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Shakotiiiiiiiiii!!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Shakotiiiiiiiiii!!!!
    It's ShOkoti not ShAkoti

Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    It's ShOkoti not ShAkoti
    To each their own. Ram Man called her Sabooty, so....

DC fans destroyed the TRU 2-pack project !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    nah, I would think he would start pushing already if it was coming up short
    I've been wondering about this--is Filmation a go either way? No thermometer,etc... was given so it's like they're not worried about this sub

I wish the camera would zoom in to show the comparisons... can't really make anything out at distance...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I've been wondering about this--is Filmation a go either way? No thermometer,etc... was given so it's like they're not worried about this sub
    I think these were figures that were already in the hopper that might have originally been part of the Club Eternia line-up... but with the drama last year they moved things in the roadmap and came up with the Filmation sub to satisfy the vintage-only and "I'll take all I can get" camps. (My opinion, of course.)
    Say cheese!!!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Rather, it was the idea of combining two completely different lines, that are in different scales (MotUC figures are volumetrically over 50% larger than DCUC figures) and have only the most feeble and tangential connection storywise. Had Mattel released MotUC-only two-packs as TRU exclusives, instead of "ruining" them with DCUC figures many people interested in MotU couldn't care less about, things would probably have worked out differently.

I can see many parents that enjoyed MotU as children but do not collect toys as adults, would buy some packs of the most well-known characters for their kids to give them a "basic" MotU collection for Christmas, such as He-Man + Battle Cat, Skeletor + Panthor, Man-at-Arms + Teela, Beast Man + Evil Lyn, etc.; especially if they came in Filmation look and contained a free DVD with some selected Filmation episodes as a bonus.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Rather, it was the idea of combining two completely different lines, that are in different scales (MotUC figures are volumetrically over 50% larger than DCUC figures) and have only the most feeble and tangential connection storywise. Had Mattel released MotUC-only two-packs as TRU exclusives, instead of "ruining" them with DCUC figures many people interested in MotU couldn't care less about, things would probably have worked out differently.

I can see many parents that enjoyed MotU as children but do not collect toys as adults, would buy some packs of the most well-known characters for their kids to give them a "basic" MotU collection for Christmas, such as He-Man + Battle Cat, Skeletor + Panthor, Man-at-Arms + Teela, Beast Man + Evil Lyn, etc.; especially if they came in Filmation look and contained a free DVD with some selected Filmation episodes as a bonus.

That's an awesome idea !

I'm sure if DC fans had purchased the TRU 2-pack, this line would be a great success....
    Mattel used the "DC Presents Superman vs. He-Man" idea and created a mix series to DC and MOTU fans...they thought the retail sales would be very high since a lot of 'hard core' fans would support it...A great strategy that (unfortunately) didn't work....

I am a MOTU-only collector and I have all 7 TRU 2-packs...and I really like to see variants of Man-at-Arms, Teela, Hordak, Camo Khan, Trap Jaw, Beast Man, etc...even if they come with DCU figures !
    Unfortunately Mattel gave up early and released the awful She-Ra 2-pack...

I agree with you 1000%. I passed onto my child the 200X toys and, to this day, Castle Grayskull is a fixture in his room. The other kids love coming over to see "the muscle guys."
    Say cheese!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Because DC (licensor) doesn't like it's property to share parts with other lines. They were not happy about the use of the Wonder Twins eagle as Zoar/Screech.
    Part of it is they likely think their brand deserves all new pieces, but I think a lot of that has to do with worries about weakening trademarks and such. Things can get very dicey with that, and any kind of failure to protect your trademark or copyright can weaken future claims. The bird was a generic bird in sculpt, but it was also a transformed Beast Boy as it was used. It sounds silly on the surface, but there is some actual logic behind it.

On another note, I always have to hold back from laughing out loud when TG talks about the sub "guaranteeing" that you get your figures after the mutli-faceted Fisto/Sorceress/Weaver debacle last year. How many folks who subbed (and thus were "guaranteed" the year's worth of figures) and did everything right on their end wound up without one or more of those figures because of Mattel's and DR's utter ineptitude? Matty's guarantee ranks somewhere below that of the guy selling stereos out the back of his van...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Toyguru has just mentioned on Ask Matty that he's shot another video.

MOTUC Castle Grayskull vs. 200x Grayskull scale

Any chance you can tell us, or better yet, post a comparison picture between the new Castle Grayskull with the old 200x castle grayskull? or maybe even with the old vintage grayskull if you have it? thanks

Just shot a video to post ASAP!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Snappy Threader
    Well regardless of the difference in height, I'm snagging that Batman to display with MOTUC.....too similar, and too cool.

I knew I was seeing more than just the MOTUC shoulders as Scott originally claimed back when that Batman was a prototype.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I definately want that batman to pal around with my MOTUC figures. I do display all of the TRU set DC characters with my MOTUC stuff, but this Batman is pretty perfect for that purpose.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I just hope this isnt a bad sign that the Filmation sub isnt hitting the numbers mattel wanted from it...
    That was my original reaction as well.

It's nice that Scott is trying to "get the word out" about the sub and not just relying on Mattycollector. Mattel really needs to start realizing that not everyone knows about Matty.

Agreed. Doing MOTU 2 packs would have been a much better idea...

...BUT a lot of DC fans were saying the same thing. They were getting a figure they really didn't want as well. I heard several complaints from DC fans about having to buy "stupid Conan-wannabe figures."

That's an awesome idea !

I'm sure if DC fans had purchased the TRU 2-pack, this line would be a great success....
    Most DC fans didn't buy them cause they were figures they already had so blaming them really isn't fair. How would you have liked it if they had the 2 packs with redecoed DCUC figures and straight re-released MOTUC figures that you already bought months, or even years in some cases, before? Would you have really purchased a 2 pack of of a regular He-Man and goofy decoed Superman?

Put the blame where it belongs...with Mattel. This line was a merger of 2 of their existing lines: MOTUC, their small internet exclusive line, and DCUC; a retail brand that had been selling for a few years. For this line to survive it needed support from both franchises. Mattel though only catered to one of them :MOTU. The other franchise DC Comics, which I might add had the larger fan base, got screwed. The line was doomed from the start.

As a fan of both lines I bout the 2 packs but only for the MOTU figures. The DCUC figures were a complete waste. I ended up giving them away. I already had all of them.

Bonehead

First, it's very very hard to speak something because I am a MOTUC completist !
    So, even if I was a huge DC fan, I would buy all of them !!!

But I agree when you say the appeal was not balanced: MOTUC fans were interested in the 2-packs while the DC fan didn't (as you said).
    Unfortunately Mattel gave up early...they should try to bring more variations of both brand figures...
    I think the unproduced Red Tornado (with Sy-Klone) would be a variation...

They should redo the 2-packs but just keep them MOTU. Make them complete repaints (with logical color choices). He-Man vs. Skeletor / Fisto vs. Jitsu / Teela vs. Evil Lyn / Hordak vs. She-Ra etc... I think those would have been more successful... Mixing the two brands never made sense to me.

Bonehead

..they should try to bring more variations of both brand figures...
    I think the unproduced Red Tornado (with Sy-Klone) would be a variation...
    Agreed. THAT variation has been asked for years from DC fans but Mattel never released it even after showing prototypes and even teasing fans with pics of it in their office.

There were several variants that they could have done but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Agreed. THAT variation has been asked for years from DC fans but Mattel never released it even after showing prototypes and even teasing fans with pics of it in their office.

There were several variants that they could have done but didn't.

Have you ever thought an unproduced Star Riders' Wonder Woman vs. MYP or Filmation Teela ???
    Or even a variant Darkside vs. Filmation Hordak ?