Thread: Would you have subbed if it was not DR?

Heroic Warrior

Would you have subbed if it was not DR?

Maybe its just me, but the only reason I don't want to sub the new Filmation line is because of DR. I hear all the nightmare stories of multiple charges on the CC, poor shipping practices; and I don't want to take on the hassle. I do all my online shopping using my debit card, so I really don't want charges that could affect my bank balance.

Wonder if there are others like me, or does your love for MOTU blindside you on DR's issues?

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    I do all my online shopping using my debit card, so I really don't want charges that could affect my bank balance
    I use a rechargeable virtual debit card that is specifically tailored for online shopping (and doesn't even exist in physical form, it's just a CC number with a 3 digit security code and PIN). DR cannot take any funds from my bank account, they only have access to the money I specifically put in my virtual card's balance; so if they tried to charge me more, they would get a payment authorization denial.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I did not subscribe in 2012, but I have subscribed the previous years and for 2013.

I have never had a problem with Digital River with a shipping, double charge, or customer service issue.

I have never returned a figure for a QC issue and I live in the United States so I can not speak for those issues.

The only pain I find is that if you buy multiple subscriptions but buy them separately at different times they will all ship individually the first month.

If you use your debit card for all of your purchases I could potentially see you being hassled if you live with a low balance from month to month. If you live within your means and have a decent cushion in your checking account I don't see how you could get burned. I would however advise using an alternative form of payment then your debit card like a card that you can just replenish or even just a credit card that you pay off every month that has stronger identity protection. That's a conversation for another time.

I buy my figures, pick my shipping option, pay, and receive my figures.

I haven't been hassled in 5 years.

Maybe its just me, but the only reason I don't want to sub the new Filmation line is because of DR. I hear all the nightmare stories of multiple charges on the CC, poor shipping practices; and I don't want to take on the hassle. I do all my online shopping using my debit card, so I really don't want charges that could affect my bank balance.

Wonder if there are others like me, or does your love for MOTU blindside you on DR's issues?
    I would definitely recommend using a credit card OR a pre-paid type card. If you dont have a credit card, you can get a BlueBird AMEX card from Wal Mart. It is pre-paid and has low-to-no fees. Just put the money for DR on it each month and then you are good to go.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

I doubt digital river is the number one cause for anyone to quit motuc. If you love the figures you'll buy them no matter what!

At least that's what happened to me

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Absolutely. I subbed from the first time it was offered as a service, rather than something to bludgeon the customers with, because I am precisely who the sub was originally made for: a collector who would buy all of the items offered anyway. I was thrilled with the Star Sisters, and am looking forward to the Fighting Foe Men. There is very little chance of anything coming out this year that I do not want, and I've already pre-ordered almost everything that BBTS has put up (missed King He-Man, though, dang it). DR is the ONE and ONLY reason I will not do business with Matty collector under any circumstances. Were Matty collector to be turned over to a company that had a clue as to what it was doing, I would gladly give them another chance. But as long as DR is running the site (into the ground), I wouldn't touch it with a 39 1/2 foot pole.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Would you have subbed if it was not DR?
    My decision to sub or not to sub was not dependent upon Digital River.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I did not sub, but if was not because of DR. Actually, if they would drop DR, us international customers most likely would not be able to sub or buy these figures at all.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Court Magician
    I've never had issues with DR, other than the high-ish shipping costs and slow-ish shipping times. I've only had one figure issue, and it probably happened at the factory (a sealed mailer box had the wrong figure in it). Never had a billing issue.