Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Threats to Killing the Line...

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Fans'/collectors' sense of entitlement and lack of knowledge on product production.
    Who knew customers asking for their product to have adequate quality control for the premium price they pay for a collectors item qualified as a "sense of entitlement"
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    1. meteor strike
    2. steroid scandal
    3. Government budget cuts
    4. immigration law reform
    5. nuclear missle strike

but seriously........

I think it will be interest. will their be enough interest/support?

after you get your top ten then what? there won't be enough completist to drive this line.

truthfully. How many people will be interested in characters x, y & z?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Who knew customers asking for their product to have adequate quality control for the premium price they pay for a collectors item qualified as a "sense of entitlement"
    I don't think the original statement or those copying are talking about the quality control aspects. Many fans want the line to cost 20 bucks and still have all the tooling it did at the start. This isn't going to happen with the current economy. The way many fans on this board talk they sound like they could make a better figure for cheaper in their own backyard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    1. meteor strike
    2. steroid scandal
    3. Government budget cuts
    4. immigration law reform
    5. nuclear missle strike

but seriously........

I think it will be interest. will their be enough interest/support?

after you get your top ten then what? there won't be enough completist to drive this line.

truthfully. How many people will be interested in characters x, y & z?
    This is why Mattel has tried to insert new characters into the line to try to get a longer appeal out of fans. the problem is many they don't care, all they care about is the nostalgia. But enough exposition.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Fans'/collectors' sense of entitlement and lack of knowledge on product production.
    So this will kill the line, but

(1) DR won't
    (2) price won't
    (3) QC won't
    (4) international shipping won't
    (5) and Mattel purposely underproducing to scare people into subbing won't?

Ima disagree wit dis.

Court Magician
    There are only two reasons:
    1) A-list characters have all been done
    2) Mattel's profit target is too "mass market"

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    We pay good money for this line, so we aren't entitled, I believe.

Top 5 Threats:

1. Rising figure prices
    2. Rising and unexplainable exhorbitant shipping
    3. Fractured relationship between passionate fanbase and Mattel
    4. Running out of vintage heavy hitters (this is inevitable)
    5. Digital River continuing their incompetence

1 and 4 is what is is. 2 might be fixed if 5 is fixed. 3 can't be fully repaired, but can get better.

Overall, we still have a lot of positives: The Four Horsemen. Mattel still engages the fans. The Filmation sub. And we're close to a nice complete line with all the most wanted figs.

Let's work together to make sure we can overcome these threats so this great line can continue. This line is a dream come true, and I'd hate to it end anytime soon. Long live MOTUC!

Top 5 Threats to Killing the Line...

1. People obsessed with the line's demise...
    2. People obsessed with the line's demise...
    3. People obsessed with the line's demise...
    4. People obsessed with the line's demise...
    5. People obsessed with the line's demise...
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; February 22, 2013 at 11:16pm. Reason: Punctuation

If anything....DR, at times Scott's replies, and mostly if nothing else the price. But people getting their favorites and leaving....probably high up too.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Not many new customers coming in
    Older customers leaving once their child hood fantasies are realized

Stepping back unknown characters shouldn't matter as long as they are well designed and people like them, the problem is too many don't care anything about that stuff and just wanted updated versions of figures they had as kids. This isn't to say all new characters are great, but I take one look at Draegoman and see a great figure.
    I started by coming in only wanting the Vintage figures I had, but my collection has grown by POP & the a concept and a couple 30th figures, plus Vintage I never had or wanted originally. I personally like Demo-Man, and love Draego Man, Also Castle Grayskullman, now SLL, Spector & a couple more do nothing for me at all, but as a whole I love MOTUC, great sculpting, and a lot of care by the 4H in doing said sculpting, there are a few I feel are misses, but they are very few. I don't own or want say the Star Sisters, but I kind of want the Foe Men. But I am still here collecting what I like now, not just my Vintage used to haves and wants, of which there is only like 3 left after Mantenna comes, I could say screw it, I'll wait until they come out, but them for more from BBTS, but there are still ones I see revealed that peak my interest, that keep me buying.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm not sure if the line is dying quite yet, but I know it's taken some hits. I don't even think there are 5 big reasons for it to go Ker-Plunk. The main thing that could kill it is rising costs.

MOTU fans are some of the most loyal, die hard fans I have ever seen, but no matter how much they may love it, there's a limit to how much some people can pay.
    Yes, price is an issue, I bought a sub only because from Matty $25 is my cap, I would buy from BBTS if there were only a few left I wanted, but with wanting more figures, comes the $25 cap of mine. Also, I think we'll see a 2014 for sure, too many Vintage hopefuls coming then, and 2015 is supposed to wrap it up....but if the price stays $25 for the sub next year, and if possible 2015....I think we'll see the line go for another year or two, and maybe see some others work back into the line.

I also bought the Filmation sub, I want me some Icer & Batros.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but how is that the Fan actions can kill the line? What I mean is: have you quit collecting motuc because of other fans opinions? I don't mean to be critic to some of your opinions but I really do not see the connection.

For me 1-5 is only one thing the price of the figures+shipping
    I just see a lot of division in the ranks. People calling other factions down, people not working in solidarity when there are legitimate problems, and people complaining between cherry pickers and sub holders.

Don't get me wrong, there is a big sense of community as well, but if this line is to survive, and I for one sure hope it does, then we need to come together in a positive sense. This means working together when issues arise, so things like American fans speaking out on behalf of international fans over jacked up shipping rates and treating each other on these boards with a whole lot more respect.

When the latest reveals came through things were electric on this board, but after about a week I see a lot of thinly veiled insults flying about, and this makes me sad to be a collector. The spirit should be camaraderie and acceptance of everyone's views, not division!

Look at Star Wars for example, it is a dedicated and united fan base that keeps it going. MOTU could learn a thing or two from these fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post

Fair enough. I just want to see this thing through as I've put a lot of time and effort into my collection and it would be a real shame to have it end before we get all the main figures we all want.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I started by coming in only wanting the Vintage figures I had, but my collection has grown by POP & the a concept and a couple 30th figures, plus Vintage I never had or wanted originally. I personally like Demo-Man, and love Draego Man, Also Castle Grayskullman, now SLL, Spector & a couple more do nothing for me at all, but as a whole I love MOTUC, great sculpting, and a lot of care by the 4H in doing said sculpting, there are a few I feel are misses, but they are very few. I don't own or want say the Star Sisters, but I kind of want the Foe Men. But I am still here collecting what I like now, not just my Vintage used to haves and wants, of which there is only like 3 left after Mantenna comes, I could say screw it, I'll wait until they come out, but them for more from BBTS, but there are still ones I see revealed that peak my interest, that keep me buying.
    I do agree there are those who have jumped on board on newer figures, and some do very well in regards to sells. Castle Greyskullman seems to be one, even though I don't care for him. But based on posting there does seem to be quite a few who aside from a few of them if it wasn't vintage or filmation it's a wasted slot.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I do agree there are those who have jumped on board on newer figures, and some do very well in regards to sells. Castle Greyskullman seems to be one, even though I don't care for him. But based on posting there does seem to be quite a few who aside from a few of them if it wasn't vintage or filmation it's a wasted slot.
    Pretty much so, yeah, sadly. Once I had BP She-Ra & Swifty in hand back in October 2011, I wanted more POP, I bought them because I thought, hey they look nice enough, I'll try them, and while I don't want every POP figure, I do want some of them now. The only line I don't want is NA, but I don't call them a waste, as they have their fans, and while I don't want them, they are well sculpted and much better than their original Vintage counterparts.

And CGm was a great seller simply because he has a Vintage vibe, really a heavy one, and he has direct ties to Castle Grayskull, which at the time of his release we didn't know if we were getting, I think that is what made him so fast to sell.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I don't think the original statement or those copying are talking about the quality control aspects. Many fans want the line to cost 20 bucks and still have all the tooling it did at the start. This isn't going to happen with the current economy. The way many fans on this board talk they sound like they could make a better figure for cheaper in their own backyard..
    Maybe. I'm just tired of people blaming the fans for the demise of the line. We get enough of finger pointing from Mattel on a topic like this, constantly blaming fans for the drop off in the line and completely failing to acknowledge their own contribution to the decline in sales due to their horrid model and inane policies. We don't need the fan community going at each other when the accountability is really on Mattel to attract the customers. I think it's been proven time and again how loyal the hardcore fan base is.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Add another +1 to this for all 5.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

It's Not bad enough to kill the line...but it is one of the biggest problems with the line...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    This is definitely an issue, but I don't know about it actually killing the line.... (Ugh, I just HATE the "killing the line" phrase....)

Thank you!

I know it's cool to discuss any, and everything about our favorite toyline, but this thread is incredibly bleak......
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

I know it's cool to discuss any, and everything about our favorite toyline, but this thread is incredibly bleak......
    Hence the other side of the coin can be found here... http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ne-is-Thriving

There is no Ying without a Yang.

Heroic Warrior
    As an international buyer, here is what i see:

1) Rising PRICE of shipping (as in the PRICE Matty charges)
    2) Rising COST of shipping

Shipping costs have gone up this year.No doubt,and there is nothing we orMatty can do about it, but the mark-up on shipping is ridiculous. I paid $40 to have 1 jitsu, 1 Ram-man and DC figure shipped to me, and I'm right across the border in Canada, and it's going to take a couple months for the figures to get to me.

3) Rising price/cost of figures
    4) Poor design decisions(Blastic)/QA(Snoutspout)
    5) Digital River

Court Magician OptimusOfGrayskull's Avatar

I started lurking these boards back in Feb 2010 when I learned about MOTUC. Some were frustrated about Battle Cat and Trap Jaw's quick sell-outs and they were upset with DR and Toyguru, guess what was being predicted?

--The End of the Line.--

Here we are 3 years later and I'm still getting figures. Between the regular sub and the FILMation, I'm still getting 22 more figures this year!

You know what's really pathetic? There's some out there hoping the line ends prematurely just so they can come onto a message board and say "See, I told you it was gonna end. I just knew it." They'll list off the reasons, some will agree . . . Those opinions become "facts"

On topic, #1 reason will be the line has ran it's course and there are no more vintage and A-list characters left.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    1.) cost (either shipping or figure cost)
    2.) loss of interest (majority of core figures already release)
    3.) lack of new customers (by only targeting collectors of the original line the customer base will only dwindle as the line goes on)
    4.) digital river ( I haven't encountered anything too bad but from what I hear on the forums it's enough to cause anyone one customer with numerous problems to quit.)
    5.) Quality control (although it is a small run people are still entitled to what they paid for. Broken figures, incorrectly assembled figures, horrible paint apps can only be tolerated too far before people give up entirely)
    This would be my picks too.

Bottom line: These figures are too expensive for obscure characters to arrive broken after dealing with Digital River just to get them at all. I'm extremely cherry picking from here on out and Hasbro will certainly be getting more of my money than Mattel.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Maybe. I'm just tired of people blaming the fans for the demise of the line. We get enough of finger pointing from Mattel on a topic like this, constantly blaming fans for the drop off in the line and completely failing to acknowledge their own contribution to the decline in sales due to their horrid model and inane policies. We don't need the fan community going at each other when the accountability is really on Mattel to attract the customers. I think it's been proven time and again how loyal the hardcore fan base is.
    The over all truth is there are contributions from both fans and the company in question. Focusing on the fualts of the other, fans focusing on mattels faults and mattel focusing fans isn't going to solve the problem.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post

Look at Star Wars for example, it is a dedicated and united fan base that keeps it going. MOTU could learn a thing or two from these fans.
    lol noway man, i have to disagree with u on this bigtime, i collect sw and have been since mid 90's and let me tell u...they have their share of wars. OT vs PT, OT vs Expaned Universe, film vs books, lol and now u will have OT vs ST.

1) cost
    2) and maybe lack of powerhouse characters to sell the SUB!!
    Last edited by Romadon; February 23, 2013 at 11:51am.

I still belive in this line, I will hold on to a club eternia sub for as ong as it lasts. the figures are awesome,[The new Grayskull Lackluster] will never trust Mattell to make another playset. keep pitching out those Figs tho.as long as they have quailty of course.

So as for five reasons why MOTUC may end.

1 Grayskull fieasco.

2 wanting vengence!! kidding.

3Disbelife.

4 Make your own Grayskull when you hit the loto.

5 Forget about Snake Mountain, just forget aabout it.

Shipping prices is killing it for me. Ram-Man + Jitsu was $30 in shipping to Canada.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Not many new customers coming in
    Older customers leaving once their child hood fantasies are realized
    1 That's the greatest problem! That's why the line will die!
    And that's because Mattel believes only in the subscriptions!
    They should remove the day of sale and combine the subscriptions with single pre-orders for the figures.
    Figures for everybody, money for Mattel!
    But they are too coward and narrow minded to change their childish dogma.
    With this dogma they keep punishin' the non-subscribers, most of them don't have a choice: THEY CAN'T AFFORD A SUBSCRIPTION! And the fake sold-outs are only a punishment for the non-subscribers!

2 They keep mistreatin' the international fans

3 Poor Quality Control & Lack of Accountability at Mattel When Problems are Identified

4 Digital River Incompetence

5 Incompetent design choices: the Black Plastic Morbo, the Castle Grayskull entrance, the Sorceress drums and the garbage in the weapons pack (pink Zodac weapons and armor and the Clawful weapons for example!)
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; February 23, 2013 at 09:08pm.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    I still belive in this line, I will hold on to a club eternia sub for as ong as it lasts. the figures are awesome,[The new Grayskull Lackluster] will never trust Mattell to make another playset. keep pitching out those Figs tho.as long as they have quailty of course.

So as for five reasons why MOTUC may end.

1 Grayskull fieasco.

2 wanting vengence!! kidding.

3Disbelife.

4 Make your own Grayskull when you hit the loto.

5 Forget about Snake Mountain, just forget aabout it.

This for me is true......Without getting the proper dimensions listed, there is 0% chance that I will buy a Snake Mountain or Fright Zone, or any playset if offered. Unless some changes are made with Grayskull, they lost all my trust in a playset.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210