Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Discussion thread

I'm a Val-Pal.

Marvel Comics Discussion thread

I thought since we have a DC Comics reboot thread, why not have one for Marvel Comics as well.

I am loving the idea of an all woman team of X-Men I think it will be pure awesome once released:

http://geekmodeonline.com/why-an-all...m-is-a-winner/

You cannot go wrong with this roster:

Storm, Psylocke, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, and Jubilee even though Jubilee is a vamp now
    She-Ra rocks. For the honor of Grayskull.

Follow me and Dollie on Twitter:

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77
    My Husky Dollie's: @dolliebaby1977
    My comic news feed: @comicbookpost

Thank god Greg Land isn't drawing it...

I mentioned in the other thread that MARVEL NOW is absolutely destroying the NEW 52. Most of them are really fun books.

And HAWKEYE might be the best comic on the marker right now. Good character work, hitting the right funny and dramatic notes, AMAZING artwork, playing with the form, and it's a serial but every issue is complete and satisfying in itself.

i never liked the idea of Jubilee being a vampire, it just seemed so stupid to me.

But you want to discuss marvel...ok I can play

ever since they killed Ultimate Peter Parker I have had no interest in the Ultimate Universe and still regard his death as the single worst thing marvel ever did they evil murdering stupid little *******s

Venom not being Eddie Brock = FAIL

Venom being Flash Thompson = EPIC FAIL

Spider-Man: The Other and pretty much everything done by JMS such as Morlun and Ezekiel = EPIC MEGA FAIL

Doc Ock taking over the body of Peter and becoming Spider-Man = EPIC MEGA ULTIMATE EXTREME SUPER FAIL OF EXTREME MAGNITUDE

ok onto Marvel Now (well the ones I have read)

FF = terrible art, I mean TERRIBLE ART. Look up bad art in a dictionary and it will show you pages from the FF comic

Fantastic Four = is okay I guess and I have ordered the next issue but I am not sure if I will be sticking with it.

Deadpool = I love Deadpool, he is one of my fave ever comic characters (not just Marvel) but despite some ok coloring by Val I just think this series has been more miss than hit. The story isn't all the interesting and Deadpool isn't really that funny in this.

Keeping on Deadpool we have Deadpool Killustrated which is incredibly boring, possibly the worst Deadpool comic I have ever read. It is an interesting premise that could have been great but it is so poorly executed that I could not in good conscience ever recommend it to anyone, including (and especially) die hard Deadpool fans

But it isn't all bad.

Scarlet Spider is an awesome comic and my fave marvel series of the last 5 years at least easily equaling my love of the new 52 Blue Beetle comic that was annoyingly cancelled (but that is DC so it has no place here). Seriously if you have not yet red the new Scarlet Spider I HIGHLY recommend getting them as they are fun, well written, have great artwork and are just a total blast to read
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    FF = terrible art, I mean TERRIBLE ART. Look up bad art in a dictionary and it will show you pages from the FF comic
    I absolutely adore the Allreds. I think FF is an just a fun, bright, beautiful book. Fantastic Four on the other hand kind of bores me. It feels like the slow half of the story, and Bagley has always struck me as a totally perfunctory artist. He gets the job done, but he adds so little.

ALL-NEW X-MEN has been terrific - which surprises me because I love Bendis' non-superhero work, but have never been a big fan of his Avengers type stuff.

Hickman's AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS have both been very good, and very different from each other.

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER is the first Thor book I've really enjoyed in a long time.

I hate AVENGERS ARENA.

Love the art in CAPTAIN AMERICA, but it doesn't feel like a Cap book yet.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN is actually a decent concept for a story arc, and its clearly temporary, but it feels like its going to drag on for far too long.

I don't think I have strong opinions on most of the other books yet. On the fence with UNCANNY AVENGERS and most of the others are too new to form opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I absolutely adore the Allreds.
    well I knew some people would probably like that style but personally I don't. I think it is utterly terrible. Problem is even if the art was not good it might still have been a fun read if the story was good and it just isn't. Sure if you or others like it then I hope you enjoy as many issues as they put out (or you buy) but it is not for me and I won't be getting any more of them

I'm a Val-Pal.
    i never liked the idea of Jubilee being a vampire, it just seemed so stupid to me.
    Well, it is still better than a non-powered Jubilee as Wondra But then I have always liked Vampires, except the kind that can live in daylight or sparkle lol.

But you want to discuss marvel...ok I can play

ever since they killed Ultimate Peter Parker I have had no interest in the Ultimate Universe and still regard his death as the single worst thing marvel ever did they evil murdering stupid little *******s
    Agreed, they should not have did this, I only read the first few issues of it, mightve even been the first issue only where the replacement meets the girl and her group in their civilian disguises at the end. I think. Been a long time.

Venom not being Eddie Brock = FAIL

Venom being Flash Thompson = EPIC FAIL
    Yes, as far as my memory serves me the symbiote, was not 'Venom' that was based on the person it bonded with, as such Flash should have been something altogether different I believe.

Spider-Man: The Other = EPIC MEGA FAIL
    Havent read it so I cannot comment.

Doc Ock taking over the body of Peter and becoming Spider-Man = EPIC MEGA ULTIMATE EXTREME SUPER FAIL OF EXTREME MAGNITUDE
    I think it'll be interesting, so far it is anyways, have to see how long they take it.
    ok onto Marvel Now (well the ones I have read)

Fantastic Four = is okay I guess and I have ordered the next issue but I am not sure if I will be sticking with it.

Deadpool = I love Deadpool, he is one of my fave ever comic characters (not just Marvel) but despite some ok coloring by Val I just think this series has been more miss than hit. The story isn't all the interesting and Deadpool isn't really that funny in this.

Keeping on Deadpool we have Deadpool Killustrated which is incredibly boring, possibly the worst Deadpool comic I have ever read. It is an interesting premise that could have been great but it is so poorly executed that I could not in good conscience ever recommend it to anyone, including (and especially) die hard Deadpool fans

But it isn't all bad.

Scarlet Spider is an awesome comic and my fave marvel series of the last 5 years at least easily equaling my love of the new 52 Blue Beetle comic that was annoyingly cancelled (but that is DC so it has no place here). Seriously if you have not yet red the new Scarlet Spider I HIGHLY recommend getting them as they are fun, well written, have great artwork and are just a total blast to read
    I honestly have only read Cable and X-Force, Avengers Arena anda couple others, ****** that they spoiled the ending to Avengers Arena on the what first page of #1 revealing the last two survivors lol, X-23 BETTER win lol.

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

Quote Originally Posted by Mermista View Post
    Yes, as far as my memory serves me the symbiote, was not 'Venom' that was based on the person it bonded with, as such Flash should have been something altogether different I believe.
    Exactly

When Spider-Man had the symbiote he still called himself Spider-Man. It wasn't until Brock got the symbiote that Venom was created. Venom was NEVER the name the symbiote chose it was the name Brock gave himself when powered by the Symbiote. But it seems Marvel writers (who you think would grasp this very simple idea) just keep messing it up totally.

You know I have never actually read the Death of Ultimate Peter Parker.

As soon (and I mean the very day) it was announced he was going to be killed I stopped buying Ultimate Spider-Man. Just the very idea of it killed that comic for me. Now usually it is just a case o "well lets see how long he stays dead" but the problem was that this was the ultimate universe and according to marvel and the people who write those comics (such as BMS) people who die in the Ultimate universe are dead permanently. So this wasn't going to be a case of Peter being dead for a year and then being brought back somehow, he was going to die and stay that way.

There are some chacters where I don't mind other ppl taking over their superhero identity, such as the various Robins over in DC...but Peter and ONLY Peter will ever be Spider-Man to me and I do not wish to read about any Spider-Man who is not Peter Parker. Of course that is only Spider-Man I am talking about, if they want people to have the same powers as him such as Scarlet Spider then I am totally fine with that. But if it says "SPIDER-MAN" on the cover of teh comic it better damn well be Peter Parker under the mask because otherwise I just don't want to read it.

- - - Updated - - -

Scarlet Spider is the new "The Other"

No, no no no no NO. Oh God NO

I HATE the whole The Other storyline. It was a huge part of the reason I stopped buying Spider-Man comics, the whole "Totem" and "Great Weaver" and "Chosen" thing...URGH I hate and detest it so much

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

and now they have brought it into Scarlet Spider

I thought that crap was done with Spider-Man: The Other, but no Marvel are still using that god-awful Spider-Man (and now Scarlet Spider) insultingly crappy story idea.

Now I still love Scarlet Spider enough to keep collecting but if they don't fix this pretty soon I may have to drop this line before they **** it up as bad as they did Spider-Man

Oh god why The Other???

WHY?
    Last edited by wolfsfang; February 18, 2013 at 01:19pm.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Yes no matter what Spider-Man should be the only Spider-Man, I am hoping the Ock stuff ends VERY soon, as well as the whole One More Day crap, have the marriage be returned everything period back to where it was. It was such a loss, similar to what DC Comics did with thier Reboot by destroying Oracle and the Birds of Prey and murdering the Huntress, destroyed 20 plus years of wonderful stories. Marvel did the same thing.

And also the New X-Men #1 also has Rachel Grey/Summers too very very awesome

Exactly

When Spider-Man had the symbiote he still called himself Spider-Man. It wasn't until Brock got the symbiote that Venom was created. Venom was NEVER the name the symbiote chose it was the name Brock gave himself when powered by the Symbiote. But it seems Marvel writers (who you think would grasp this very simple idea) just keep messing it up totally.

You know I have never actually read the Death of Ultimate Peter Parker.

As soon (and I mean the very day) it was announced he was going to be killed I stopped buying Ultimate Spider-Man. Just the very idea of it killed that comic for me. Now usually it is just a case o "well lets see how long he stays dead" but the problem was that this was the ultimate universe and according to marvel and the people who write those comics (such as BMS) people who die in the Ultimate universe are dead permanently. So this wasn't going to be a case of Peter being dead for a year and then being brought back somehow, he was going to die and stay that way.

There are some chacters where I don't mind other ppl taking over their superhero identity, such as the various Robins over in DC...but Peter and ONLY Peter will ever be Spider-Man to me and I do not wish to read about any Spider-Man who is not Peter Parker. Of course that is only Spider-Man I am talking about, if they want people to have the same powers as him such as Scarlet Spider then I am totally fine with that. But if it says "SPIDER-MAN" on the cover of teh comic it better damn well be Peter Parker under the mask because otherwise I just don't want to read it.

- - - Updated - - -

Scarlet Spider is the new "The Other"

No, no no no no NO. Oh God NO

I HATE the whole The Other storyline. It was a huge part of the reason I stopped buying Spider-Man comics, the whole "Totem" and "Great Weaver" and "Chosen" thing...URGH I hate and detest it so much

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

and now they have brought it into Scarlet Spider

I thought that crap was done with Spider-Man: The Other, but no Marvel are still using that god-awful Spider-Man (and now Scarlet Spider) insultingly crappy story idea.

Now I still love Scarlet Spider enough to keep collecting but if they don't fix this pretty soon I may have to drop this line before they **** it up as bad as they did Spider-Man

Oh god why The Other???

WHY?

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

I love Peter Parker, but I think replacing him with Miles Morales was brilliant.

I thought early on Ultimate Spider-Man was great. It was so nice to see a new telling of his (and his supporting cast's) story without years and years of continuity. It was fresh and it was fun.

But 100+ issues in and it started to become less and less unique. Stories were being repeated, characters were getting tired and bogged down. It was becoming more and more like the regular Marvel Universe and really less and less necessary.

I think the new series is terrific. And I think it absolutely reveres Peter Parker. Miles respect and admiration for Peter and how he tries so hard to be worthy and live up to the name is a major focal point of the book.

Its a really, really good comic.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Maybe Ill givev the new series a chance. I do remember Peter Dating Kitty Pryde for a little bit though. I should try to get all of the trades for Peters run. I wonder how many issues Miles has had so far. Think I need to start with the Death issues first then the funeral if there was one that is.

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

153-155 are the DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN prelude issues.
    156-160 is the final story.

The new book has 20 issues so far.

And there was a 5 issue SPIDER-MEN series that crossed over Miles with the regular universe's Peter Parker. It was pretty great.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; February 18, 2013 at 07:14pm.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    wow twenty issues already? I remember seeing the first couple I swore it couldnt have been THAT long ago lol. so 160 was the funeral then. Cool. well not cool. but knowing what issues to buy.

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I liked it when buying my Marvel comics cost me only $0.65 each.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I liked it when buying my Marvel comics cost me only $0.65 each.
    I think they were 30 or 35 when I started.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Does any one know how Hawkeye is, I see a ton of reprints almost on a monthly basis.

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

Does any one know how Hawkeye is, I see a ton of reprints almost on a monthly basis.
    Its my favorite superhero comic by any publisher - and I've never been a huge Hawkeye fan.

And HAWKEYE might be the best comic on the marker right now. Good character work, hitting the right funny and dramatic notes, AMAZING artwork that plays with the form, and it's a serial but every issue is complete and satisfying in itself.

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    First off, Flash Thompson is doing great as Venom. Yeah he's no Eddie Brock but at least Eddie still has something to do with the symbiotes. Loved Anti-Venom, and hate they had to kill the symbiote for the Spider-Island story arc, but now he's Toxin. From what I have heard Toxin won't be a baddy for long, he was never actually a villain anyway if you know his history. I've been loving the stories coming out of Venom Vol. 2, and Thunderbolts Vol. 2 as well. Love seeing venom "Vulk out" to his original monster looking form when he gets p'oed. Love the cover of issue #35, what a homage to the Amazing Spider-Man #316.

Scarlet Spider is also one of my favs, great stories, and art. Loved the cross over with Venom in the Minimum Carnage story arc. Kaine Parker has really come into his own, all the stories he was involved in leading up to him becoming a hero or anti hero has been awesome, love the suit too. I still miss Ben Reilly though, but Kaine is really giving him a run for his money on who portrayed the Scarlet Spider best.

Can't wait to see how things pan out when Flash, and Kaine both find out Doc Ock is Spidey now, you know they'll both know right away when they come face to face with him, and it won't be pretty.

Love the new Thunderbolts team, with Red Hulk as the leader, and the team is elite! Red Hulk, Venom, Deadpool, The Punisher, and Elektra. Wow!

I hate the Secret Avengers is coming to an end with issue #37, it was a good run. As you can tell I am a Venom fan, and have been since the late 80's, and love the fact that he's been an Avenger twice so far. (Dark Avengers, and Secret Avengers)

Now as for Ock Spidey, I have to say I'm not a fan. I know he's in Parker's body and all but still don't like it. I know they did it for shock value, and sales, but killing off Peter Parker sucks. You know it won't be long before Pete is spidey once again, and they'll find a way to bring Old Doc Ock back as well.

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Its my favorite superhero comic by any publisher - and I've never been a huge Hawkeye fan.
    Cool, I thought I read that quote from you but for the life of me could not find it in this thread must be an off day haha. How many issues have been released, $3.99 each?

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I think they were 30 or 35 when I started.
    Yikes, Bee Cee! And I thought I was old!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Cool, I thought I read that quote from you but for the life of me could not find it in this thread must be an off day haha. How many issues have been released, $3.99 each?
    7 issues so far.

i am dropping just about all the marvel comics I collect because, apart from Scarlet Spider, I don't actually like any of them enough to collect them.

Scarlet Spider...I shall buy the next issue and see what happens from there.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The only book from Marvel I get now is X-Factor.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I see Wolverine is getting yet another series next month

*EXTREME SARCASM ALERT* *EXTREME SARCASM ALERT* *EXTREME SARCASM ALERT*

Oh whoopie I can't wait to see it
    Last edited by wolfsfang; February 19, 2013 at 01:34pm.

I see Wolverine is getting yet another series next month
    Who is this Wolverine you speak of, wolfer? A relative of yours? I never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Who is this Wolverine you speak of, wolfer? A relative of yours? I never heard of him.

despite the similarity in name a Wolverine is actually a kind of weasel and not a lupine

so no

also

My copy of Young Avengers #1 arrived today and it was great. I loved the artwork, especially Loki and the story was really interesting with quite the shock ending. I will certainly be picking up issue 2 and with some luck this could be a great new comic for me to collect as most of their comics have not really pleased me recently. This was a pleasant exception.

I am considering picking up Nova #1 next week. Just wondering what all your views are?
    Last edited by wolfsfang; February 21, 2013 at 06:59pm.