Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics the greatest toy line ever produced?

Is Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics the greatest toy line ever produced?

Well, Is Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics the greatest toy line ever produced?

If its not, i'd love to hear peoples opinions of what could rival it. Popcorn Smiley

Heroic Warrior
    No, not even close. Far too many problems with the figures and obtaining them.

idk..but i like this line WAAAAAAAY more that other toy line collect or have collect...(play arts kai batman close second)...even with all the hassle...QC issues...yadda yadda
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

No. Toys, by their definition, are meant for kids to play with them. These are designed for the "adult collector."

That said, if these figures were mass-produced, marketed well, had a great animated show tie-in, then yeah, they very well could be the best toyline of all time.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Longevity, (nearing) completion of factions, ability to sub to obtain every figure vs. hunting them down and possibly missing out... I personally haven't collected a line like i do with MOTUC, but back in the day when i was collecting Transformers i was nowhere near as happy with the reveals, the constant canceling of lines, and starting up of new ones. There is a simplicity to collecting MOTUC that makes it far more enjoyable for me than any other line i've ever collected. And probably the reason that i've stuck with it and will continue until the line ends.

But with other great lines out there, i.e.. Star Wars, TF, i figured maybe it would be a good topic to discuss and get some things put into perspective

How was it hard to obtain them? Sign up for a subscription and you could have them all. I think some people expect to come into a line halfway through and be able to pick up all the previous figures for retail price. Tell me what other action figure line has that kind of availability? There are rare figures in every toy line that don't get re-released and you end up having to pay a premium for on the secondary market if you really want them.

Also every toy line has quality control issues especially when you consider the large number of items MOTUC has produced.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    MOTUC is the best adult collector line I've collected, but is not number one all-time for all toys. That topic is really just based on opinion, and there will never be a consensus.

As for adult collector lines, the sculpts for these figures are amazing. I always thought DC Direct did a great job, but in terms of articulated adult collector figures, sorry Transformer Masterpiece, Marvel Legends, GIJOE, etc..., they don't hold a candle to MOTUC.

It definitely is, to me.

Amazing sculpts. Classic designs. Great paint apps. Great articulation. Amazing character selection (already, and it's still going!) and vehicles, and beasts, and giants and at least one play set!

Yes... yes it is!!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Warrior
    Well I'd say the vintage line is actually, and that is why we all collect this line.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Yes without a doubt. Best line of of time!!
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

For the time being I'll say yes. I'm almost 100% positive that will change when the Star Wars Black Series hits shelves.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

No

Too many half truths, broken promises and quality control issues.

Its certainly in the top 5, but no its not the best ever

There are many good lines out there

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor5579 View Post
    Well, Is Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics the greatest toy line ever produced?

If its not, i'd love to hear peoples opinions of what could rival it.
    If I remember correctly, RockinHard started such a thread in the past and, even though this is a He-Man forum, MOTUC did not fair too well. I think it was at least 50/50.

My opinion since then really hasn't changed. Lego, Transformers and Star Wars do it better as of right now, IMO. G.I.Joe ARAH has kinda fallen off but with the new movie, yeah they get a movie, looming I look to see them make a push soon. Marvel U is still making great figures and Mattel's wrestling line is really good. Playmates new TMNT stuff has been great if you can find it. DC Collectibles has started making figures with more articulation, I mean their Arkham Batman is just incredible.

I guess DC Collectibles would be considered "collectibles" and not toys but if you want to count MOTUC as collectibles, which they are not IMO, then Revoltech, Figma, Play Arts, Bandai Figuarts, Takara/Hasbro Transformers Masterpiece and the Four Horsemen's Kingdom line crush MOTUC. I think Neca even makes a better product that is mass produced aswell as Todd MacFarlane's Halo line.

I have been collecting MOTUC since they first put out King Grayskull and I am at the point that this is a labor of love. I collect for the nostalgia and every now and then this line can surprise you, both ways though.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Heroic Warrior
    It's easily up there the impressive sculpts, articulation, character selection, scale, and interchangability make it very desirable to own this collection. And I actually think the strong secondary market on the most desirable figures helps to draw interest into the line. Other lines I find that rival MOTUC would be DC Universe Classics (Infinite Earths Signature Series, DC Superheroes, DC Unlimited, and several off shoot series), Marvel Legends (2 companies, and several off shoot series) these lines both have impressive character selection, nice articulation (some better than others), scale, mostly great sculpts, and incredible BAFs/CnCs. A couple other lines at a smaller scale Star Wars POTF (+) and GI Joe 25th Anniversary (+) both have large assortments of characters (with Star wars bordering on the ridiculous!), some impressive sculpts and details (the weapon storage is amazing!) especially for the size, articulation is great for some, accessories are usually plentiful, and the vehicles though are what make these really amazing (and again with Star Wars no action figure line compares).

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. It is the greatest.

For all of what the Masters of the Universe franchise is- these are perfect representations of what it's figures should be. What definitely puts MOTUC at #1, are all of the character's represented! This has to be the only toyline in history that has "fans" squabbling over characters produced they may not want, as opposed to every other figure line that leaves fans wanting. Transformer fans are still waiting for a CHUG Arcee but Hasbro/Takara is too busy making Stealth-Neon Bumblebees.

As far as quality control, MOTUC definitely has it's problems- but if you were to triple those problems, it's quality record would be near perfect compared to Toy Biz (Marvel Legends), Hasbro (Marvel Legends & Universe), and McFarlane (everything).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    No, not even close. Far too many problems with the figures and obtaining them.
    So what is?

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Well I'd say the vintage line is actually, and that is why we all collect this line.
    Really? This is like saying Atari 2600 is better than Playstation 3?

I'd say it's the greatest adult collector line. To me, a toyline would mean something that was more mass-distributed, to kids as well as adults. That being said, had MOTUC been an actual toyline, I bet that it would be nowhere near as great as it is now. We're very lucky in that this thing has been aimed at adult collectors instead of kids.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It definitely is, to me.

Amazing sculpts. Classic designs. Great paint apps. Great articulation. Amazing character selection (already, and it's still going!) and vehicles, and beasts, and giants and at least one play set!
    Agreed I love Transformers too--but there are soooooo many lines that I cherry pick from since each line is inconsistent with size,etc.. Motuc for me has just about everything down pat--sculpting is good--quality is (usually) good--sizing is good (just look at Ram-Man ). if transformers was as consistent with chracter selection and quality it would be a tie, but as it is Motuc is the best for me

No. -

It definitely is, to me.

Yea... What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    How was it hard to obtain them? Sign up for a subscription and you could have them all. I think some people expect to come into a line halfway through and be able to pick up all the previous figures for retail price. Tell me what other action figure line has that kind of availability? There are rare figures in every toy line that don't get re-released and you end up having to pay a premium for on the secondary market if you really want them.

Also every toy line has quality control issues especially when you consider the large number of items MOTUC has produced.
    and him too....

We really need a "like" function on the boards
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldor5579 View Post
    Is Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics the greatest toy line ever produced?
    No. No it isn't.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    It definitely is, to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Yes... yes it is!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Yes without a doubt. Best line of of time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    For the time being I'll say yes. I'm almost 100% positive that will change when the Star Wars Black Series hits shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Yes. It is the greatest.
    I have to agree that YES (in my opinion) it is the greatest toy line ever!!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Mods, please close this thread because there is nothing to discuss about. The answer is YES! End of discussion.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    MOTUC is a great line, but not the greatest of all time. Star Wars would take that award, at least for me, especially when you consider the sheer number of releases it has had throughout the years, and still going strong. Playsets, fantastic vehicles, and tons of figures.

MOTUC is my current favorite and has priority in my collecting, but no way is it the greatest ever.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!