Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think there will ever be a ThunderCats Classics line?

Do you think there will ever be a ThunderCats Classics line?

Be it from Mattel or another company, I would love a monthly ThunderCats Classics sub. Can you imagine how cool it would be, especially if it tapped into the various teams/side characters that MOTUC has mined so well?

- Original ThunderCats and the later additions
    - Mumm-Ra and the Mutants
    - The Berzerkers
    - The Lunataks (drool)
    - Misc. Allies like the Berbils, Willa, Hachiman
    - Misc. Villains like Safari Joe, Captain Shiner and Grune

*Sigh* I know parts re-use would be tougher with this line than with MOTUC, but I can only imagine how could it would be to get highly articulated, 4 Horsemen sculpted figures of characters like Rataro, Vultureman, Pumyra, etc.

One can dream, but thanks to Cartoon Network and Bandai I don't see this happening anytime soon. This would be a little more difficult to do because there would be alot more unique parts used. Of course 4H would knock it out of the park if they were given the license to produce a Classics line. I wonder just where the license stands now (is it still Bandai's).

I hope the 4 Horsemen get the rights to do this line at some point would be amazing stuff

Thought they tried that and it bombed. Got 3 figures. Tygra, Lion-O, and Mumm-ra.

HD figures on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Thought they tried that and it bombed. Got 3 figures. Tygra, Lion-O, and Mumm-ra.
    Yup, and they are now cheap online. Not the 4H, but that doesn't mean anything. They have lines that didn't last also.

If they ever do Thundercats classics I am all in.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

I would be totally in. The current Thundercats Classics are cheap, because they aren't made to the quality of the MOTUC line, but still nice for what they are, imo.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    And even those weren't really consistent.

We initially got Lion-O and Tygra in 8 inch scale. Then they decided to change the scale to 6 inch, and released Mumm-Ra and another version of Lion-O (with his mouth hanging open, which looks stupid IMO).

So, what we did get wasn't even in a consistent scale.

There was also a con exclusive from some convention in Singapore of a redco of the 8 inch version of Lion-O with red clothes. It's supposed to be Mumm-Ra from an episode of the original cartoon where he turned into a carbon copy of Lion-O with red clothing.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I would be all in and pay just about anything to have all of the Thundercats and the cartoon character. Especially the Lunataks!

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I would love for someone...anyone...to give Thundercats Classics the treatment and attention they deserve. They deserve WAY better than the Bandai treatment IMO
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Can't get a 4H version of it, since the 4H have an exclusive contract with Mattel, and Thundercats belong to a competitor. Unless Mattel buys the whole Thundercats rights package... but that would probably be very expensive, and I doubt Mattel wants it right after it flopped as a relaunch...

Mattel should have got them for MattyCollector and let the Four Horsemen go to town, but I think Bandai probably paid bigger bucks for the entire license (classic and new toon) and what a failure that ended up being. I thought the 8" classic figures were ok, but 6" Mattel figures would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Mattel should have got them for MattyCollector and let the Four Horsemen go to town, but I think Bandai probably paid bigger bucks for the entire license (classic and new toon) and what a failure that ended up being. I thought the 8" classic figures were ok, but 6" Mattel figures would be much better.
    i can't help but wonder if CN instructed bandai to do badly. they seem to instantly sabotage any property they don't own, unless it's a HUGE NEVER FAIL one like star wars..then they go to town on it.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    i can't help but wonder if CN instructed bandai to do badly. they seem to instantly sabotage any property they don't own, unless it's a HUGE NEVER FAIL one like star wars..then they go to town on it.
    Interestingly enough, Cartoon Network is own by Time Warner as is Thundercats.

I still would like to know what was happened. the figures could have been better and were getting better, 6 inch Cheetara was a much better figure than Lion-o and Tygra looked even better. Then bandai basically stopped making figures. Even what was on the shelves still wasn't that bad of a glut, not like the Smash blade He-man thing from 10 years ago. There was still room to put out new product.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The Classics, for me, were a big disappointment. I bought all 3 and now they're sitting in a box in my closet. With so few figures, it seemed pointless to display them.

If Mattel and 4H were somehow able to do a proper line, I would love it. Throw in the Silverhawks and things just got twice as good. I could only dream of getting the Lunataks and a Yes-Man figure.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Even with the QC issues we run into, I really think Mattel could have done a better job with these. There were a couple innovative things Bandai did with the articulation, but the overall figures were a bit of a let-down in final form. It's too bad, as an MOTUC style.quality treatment would have me grabbing every single figure.

Sadly, I think it will be a few years before Tcats gets another chance for rebirth. Too bad, because I was enjoying the new series and the toys; I didn't think the 4" line was half bad (aside from the strange Texas twang to the voice they used for the sound figures and the Thundertank). But the original is still my favorite incarnation, so i'll always be interested in toys from that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

yeah a classic line would be cool I'f love to have "Kit" and "Kat"
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I hope mattel buys them out and have the Horseman work the Thundercats.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    While I would love to see the Horsemen tackle ThunderCats (and I know they want to as well), I really wouldn't count on this happening. At least for a LONG time.

The problem now is that I just don't think Warner is going to want to do anything more with ThunderCats. In their eyes, ThunderCats was a failure. So they are just going to sit on it now. And Bandai still holds the master license for toys, and they will sit on that and not do anything for as long as they hold it.

All signs point to the figures for the failture of the recent ThunderCats relaunch. The toys did not sell as well as they wanted, so the plug was pulled. Of course, it didn't help that Cartoon Network once again kept messing with the schedule of the show. The long, unneccsary hiatuses had to of hur tthe toy sales, which in turn hurt the show. It was a really nasty cycle, and fingers could really be pointed at Bandai, Cartoon Network, and Warner for different reasons.

It sucks that ThunderCats came and went so quickly. And unfortunately, I think that was really our only shot. At least for a while.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I'm not sure. I know the classic Thundercat Minimates are a hit as well as Mezco giant Thundercats classics. It's obvious everyone wants the vintage stuff remade, and not a new made verison. imo.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    I dont think Bandai holds the licence anymore. There was a pretty solid rumor floating that they chose not to renew the licence, or that it was running out, could be wrong, but never know.

Their classic line was great no matter what anyone says. The weapons sucked, yeah, but they look pretty spot on to their cartoon counterparts. It was a shame to lose the battle all cause WB doesnt know what to do with Thundercats, believe me... I know this first hand. The only thing that can ever be done to save the licence would be a movie true to the original. A straight to dvd movie would kill using the original voice actors and pick up some "lost adventures", or create a new threat as the original series had a ending (not a great one, but a ending none the less).
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

well considering that TG says he basically had to beg his bosses to give MOTU (which is a Mattel property) even a small chance with limited resources and not much financial backing...the chances of convincing them to acquire another companies line, that has already recently attempted a comeback and generally flopped, is anyway from slim to none
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja man View Post
    I'm not sure. I know the classic Thundercat Minimates are a hit as well as Mezco giant Thundercats classics. It's obvious everyone wants the vintage stuff remade, and not a new made verison. imo.
    The Mezco oversized figures are REALLY cool. The MiniMates are pretty neat as well, but I have a feeling once both lines run through the major characters, that's going to be it for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Their classic line was great no matter what anyone says. The weapons sucked, yeah, but they look pretty spot on to their cartoon counterparts.

Well, that's your opinion. And you're certainly entitled to it. I will have to respectfully disagree though. For the most part, I was pretty disappointed in the line. The plastic was shiny and felt very cheap, those weapons were awful, as you pointed out, and they seemed all over the place with regards to the articulation and scale. I never got why Tygra's chest articulation was different than Lion-O's. The joints were pretty loose on the 8" Classics and I was one who was really bugged by the unpainted joins at the wrists and ankles. The 6" Classics got better as far as having tighter joints and tougher feeling plastic, but ugh...Lion-O's face.

The 6" Modern Cheetara and Modern Tygra were both MUCH better figures. The quality felt better, they had pretty great paint jobs, and the joints were all nice and tight. You could tell that Bandai was making corrections and moving int he right direction, but it was unfortunately too late by that point.

This is all just my opinion, though. There are absolutely much worse toys out there than the ThunderCats stuff, and I'm happy for anyone who like them. I guess I was just hoping for more out of them. May be my own fault.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Do you mean a Thundercats line in the mold of Motuc? If so, I wish there had been one, but alas I think that ship has sailed and not coming back to port
    I remember a few years ago when there were rumors that Mattel was going to announce a Thundercats line like Motuc and I was so excited and it turned out to be Ghostbusters I really wish Mattel had done a Thundercats line like Motuc but oh well. And now with the cartoon cancelled and the line too--I really don't see this happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    The Mezco oversized figures are REALLY cool. The MiniMates are pretty neat as well, but I have a feeling once both lines run through the major characters, that's going to be it for them.
    Unfortunatly this is probably the sad truth. It's ashame that two major companies couldnt pull it together enough to resurect one of the best 80's shows/toys.