Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: MOTU Classics Protective Figure Cases Video Review by Pixel Dan

  1. #1
    Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    4,879

    MOTU Classics Protective Figure Cases Video Review by Pixel Dan

    Hey guys!

    Here's a look at Mattel's new protective cases!


    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

  2. #2
    NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,756
    These are super cool! Finally i'm going to be able to display some of my favourites without harm to the card

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    4,760
    Glad these are coming, I'll be getting a few sets
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Morbebanur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Soeul South Korea
    Posts
    833
    Watch Matty do something stupid like once they are gone that it

  5. #5
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    There are already the Zoloworld cases....they are similar aside from the fact the ZW cases are hinged (which wears out) and have no feet to sit flat on a surface (so they lean forward too much)....that is where the Mattel cases are superior. That and the fact that for 4 cases it comes to $3.75 each, while the ZW cases are $4.99 a piece, unless you buy bulk....and still are never less than $4 each.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Faker78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Italia
    Posts
    1,438
    Wow!!
    I did not understand if they are only on sale in March or during the whole year, I will not be able to buy 80 houses and at one time! I hope that will be available on the site often. Do you know anything about it?

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Faker78 View Post
    Wow!!
    I did not understand if they are only on sale in March or during the whole year, I will not be able to buy 80 houses and at one time! I hope that will be available on the site often. Do you know anything about it?
    They go on sale in March, but I bet they'll be available for a while. Not every item on Matty Collector sells out instantly; for example, the Snake Mountain figure stands are still for sale, and so are some of the WWE wrestling figures.

    These cases are only going to appeal to die-hard mint-on-card collectors. Loose figure buyers (like me) have absolutely no interest in them.

  8. #8
    Rebel Jubilation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,348
    These look good, I'll pick up a couple of sets for sure.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Mermista : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Spinnerella

  9. #9
    son of Xemnoss Xetheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lots of different places
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    They go on sale in March, but I bet they'll be available for a while. Not every item on Matty Collector sells out instantly; for example, the Snake Mountain figure stands are still for sale, and so are some of the WWE wrestling figures.

    These cases are only going to appeal to die-hard mint-on-card collectors. Loose figure buyers (like me) have absolutely no interest in them.
    True. I missed to answer the Matty questionnaire about how we keep our MOTUCs. I keep them loose. I am not sure many people will by them. Not even are the SM stands on sale but the CG ones as well. These cases will take ages to sell out. If plastic is so expensive, why is Mattel investing in these things? 67 cases = 1x Castle Grayskull. Much too expensive. Glad I save money on these for the first time on a MOTUC item!

  10. #10
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Faker78 View Post
    Wow!!
    I did not understand if they are only on sale in March or during the whole year, I will not be able to buy 80 houses and at one time! I hope that will be available on the site often. Do you know anything about it?
    They'll be available for a while to come, they aren't meant to sell out immediately unlike the figures, things like these which are accessories to the figures are meant to be a round for a while like the stands are.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    You know who won't fit in these...

    ...Marlena, Orko/Adam, and Ram Man.
    Kittens are delicious!

  12. #12
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    True. I missed to answer the Matty questionnaire about how we keep our MOTUCs. I keep them loose. I am not sure many people will by them. Not even are the SM stands on sale but the CG ones as well. These cases will take ages to sell out. If plastic is so expensive, why is Mattel investing in these things? 67 cases = 1x Castle Grayskull. Much too expensive. Glad I save money on these for the first time on a MOTUC item!

    Simple, because the plastic used in these cases and in the MOTUC packaging themselves is not overly the cost issue, the figures themselves in toolings, accessories and deco are. People overlook this when saying they should do away with packaging to cut costs....you'd be lucky to save $1 by cutting packaging, you want $20 figures again, everything has to be cut.... So in short, these cases cost them very little to make.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    You know who won't fit in these...

    ...Marlena, Orko/Adam, and Ram Man.

    No, and Zoloworld has yet to make those cases as well, so it's unlikely Mattel will, even though you technically have 5 figures that can use them.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior swind15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    850
    Only problem is that these cases restrict air flow through through the air holes on the blister bubble. Without air over the years the figure will begin to get "sweaty" and get moldy with possible dark spots on the plastic. Just something for people to think about.

  14. #14
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    Only problem is that these cases restrict air flow through through the air holes on the blister bubble. Without air over the years the figure will begin to get "sweaty" and get moldy with possible dark spots on the plastic. Just something for people to think about.
    I have a lot of figures that don't even come with air holes, and have had them carded for years....they are all fine, MOTUC is the only line I have ever seen with air holes to begin with. So these cases won't hurt the figures, I mean if you keep your figures in a humid environment to begin with, air holes are not likely to help much anyway.

    Plus think about all those sealed AFA figures that have been in existence for years now, they are all just fine.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior swind15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I have a lot of figures that don't even come with air holes, and have had them carded for years....they are all fine, MOTUC is the only line I have ever seen with air holes to begin with. So these cases won't hurt the figures, I mean if you keep your figures in a humid environment to begin with, air holes are not likely to help much anyway.

    Plus think about all those sealed AFA figures that have been in existence for years now, they are all just fine.
    Yes, environment temp does play a big role, but all Mattel toys from DC Universe to Toy Story come with the air holes in the blister. If you ever remove an action figure that is 20 years old from its packaging it will be wet and slimy and (especially on light colored areas) dark spots in the plastic will appear. The only reason why Moss-man and Stinkor don't have these holes is too hold in their scent, but I'm glad the rest of the line has it.

  16. #16
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    Yes, environment temp does play a big role, but all Mattel toys from DC Universe to Toy Story come with the air holes in the blister. If you ever remove an action figure that is 20 years old from its packaging it will be wet and slimy and (especially on light colored areas) dark spots in the plastic will appear. The only reason why Moss-man and Stinkor don't have these holes is too hold in their scent, but I'm glad the rest of the line has it.
    I have removed 20+ year old figures from their sealed cards due to damaged card backs, so being pointless to keep MOSC, but the blisters are perfectly sealed to the card backs, and I have never seen this happen, plus, the new plastics are much different than the old ones. I have yet to see one Vintage Star Wars or Transformers or any figure do this, and I have seen many collections in person and in pictures. My nephew has like 15 MOSC MOTU figures he himself never opened as a kid, and they are perfectly fine, the bubbles on a couple are yellowing, but no slime or discoloring.

    In my 30 years of collecting and playing with toys, I have never heard of this, or seen this. I mean you would think if Mattel thought about this being an issue, they would have included air holes in the protectors....
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  17. #17
    Vile'a'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    29,019
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    No, and Zoloworld has yet to make those cases as well, so it's unlikely Mattel will, even though you technically have 5 figures that can use them.
    I hope Zoloworld does make them. They have a lot of great MOTU/POP compatible case styles worth checking out for packaging sizes outside the standard MOTUC blister.

  18. #18
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I hope Zoloworld does make them. They have a lot of great MOTU/POP compatible case styles worth checking out for packaging sizes outside the standard MOTUC blister.
    It would be nice, because even though I opened my guys, I still have the package to Marlena and Ram-Man, and they're cut at the bottom to pull them out, I would still love a couple cases if I ever chose to put them back in for MOC look.

    And like I said, techinically there are 5 reasons now to make them. Mostly for completist MOSC collectors, but still a good reason.

    Marlena
    Glenn
    SDCC Orko
    Matty Orko
    Ram-Man (even though he's a little thinner than the other 4)
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Lentzquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    They go on sale in March, but I bet they'll be available for a while. Not every item on Matty Collector sells out instantly; for example, the Snake Mountain figure stands are still for sale, and so are some of the WWE wrestling figures.

    These cases are only going to appeal to die-hard mint-on-card collectors. Loose figure buyers (like me) have absolutely no interest in them.
    Are the Snake Mountain ones still available? I can't find them.

    On the subject of these clamshells, I like them. I open most figures, but there's a handful of my absolute favorites where I pick up an extra to keep MOC. These'll work out really well for me. Now if I was trying to outfit an entire MOTUC collection with these cases, that would be quite an investment.

  20. #20
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    Are the Snake Mountain ones still available? I can't find them.

    On the subject of these clamshells, I like them. I open most figures, but there's a handful of my absolute favorites where I pick up an extra to keep MOC. These'll work out really well for me. Now if I was trying to outfit an entire MOTUC collection with these cases, that would be quite an investment.
    I think most that would buy cases have been already buying the ones from Zoloworld. The main advantages of the Matty cases are, the backs come off, and they have a foot to sit level on flat surfaces, which I could have used months ago when mine were still all carded, but instead I had to modify my shelves to make them sit flat. I would have preferred these cases come out a couple years ago, instead of 100+ carded figures into the series.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Plus think about all those sealed AFA figures that have been in existence for years now, they are all just fine.
    Actually, the AFA cases aren't sealed - they leave a tiny space along the back bottom side for air flow precisely because of the terrarium effect. (Though personally I wish it was along the top back side because should water issues ever occur it would seep in easier from the bottom.)


    That said, I agree that unless you are in a very humid (and I mean really humid, like jungle type) environment, or if you take the figures off a freezing doorstep and put them in the cases immediately upon entering a heated house, I don't think condensation is going to be a huge issue.

    And opening them every once in awhile to "air" them out would probably eliminate any risk there, either.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    Are the Snake Mountain ones still available? I can't find them.
    Here you go: http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...ctID.249636000

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Lentzquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That's strange, your link works fine to buy them but when I browse the sale page myself they don't show up. Not even when I click on them in the product archives. They'd sell a lot better if people could actually access them, haha. Now I wonder what else they have up for sale that they randomly hide from customers. That's one crazy business model.

    Edit: Thanks for the link by the way, I'd been wanting to pick some of these and the Grayskull stands up together for a while without overinflated prices.
    Last edited by Lentzquest; February 27, 2013 at 09:29pm.

  24. #24
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    That's strange, your link works fine to buy them but when I browse the sale page myself they don't show up. Not even when I click on them in the product archives. They'd sell a lot better if people could actually access them, haha. Now I wonder what else they have up for sale that they randomly hide from customers. That's one crazy business model.
    That's Digital River! Any beginner can make it so things don't vanish from a page....I don't know what kind of coding hey are using that makes things randomly vanish, but all I know is, I've never had it ever happen on any pages I ave done.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior aey103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    131
    I personally have no need for these since I am an opener but I still may pick a few sets of these up when I next buy something off Matty Collector for my wife, who takes the PoP figures I don't want off my hands and keeps them MOSC.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I know you are helping another fan out and I hope you don't get dinged for posting that link.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •