Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Mind that the He-Man MOTUC canon got so 'Dark'?

Do You Mind that the He-Man MOTUC canon got so 'Dark'?

Well, with the introduction of King He-Man, and the gradual release of more bios, it seems like things in Eternia are really dark. Randor dead, He-Man wounded, Skeletor gone, Hordak defeated, She-Ra as the new 'Teela', Teela reluctantly taking the mantle of the previous Sorceress...who is DEAD. Man at Arms a snake, then DEAD. Lord knows what will happen to Orko and the others.

It's all so morbid to me, but I guess all stories have continuations and conclusions. We can't expect them to stay the same all the time, right?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Characters die. In a battle for planetary control and with combatants on both sides who possess so much raw power, you have to expect some to perish. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Or butter. You definitely need butter, too
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

What rubs me the wrong way is the shock value deaths like MAA's and Stratos.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I don't mind deaths being told in a backstory kind of way for example with King He-man. Eventually people will have to have died when you move onto the son of He-man phase. When you think about the powers of Greyskull era of preternia most of the goods guys are dead, the villains only lived by being put into stasis essentially.

So I don't mind it as a retrospect, but for current things it's an eeeh to me. Of course G.I. Joe comics were doing this in the 80s.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Of course it makes sense when the timeline has been explored this far into the "future".

Part of growing up is that your parents die. When King He-man is old, grey haired and finally king, of course his father is dead.

I don't like it, but I don't go by the Classics bios anyway, I may have the newer figures like King He-Man, but that's pretty much all they are, new figures, my story lies in the original characters, and what new characters that could fit without killing off old ones to further the story. Aside from old age deaths like possibly Randor, and that is why He-Man / Adam takes over as King....but he's King Adam to me, since the NA BS that he permanently became He-Man in my story never happened, since NA doesn't exist.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Im good with it..bring it on..the darker/more morbid the better for me..makes it interesting...
    I dont really go by the bios...but at least it makes it a amusing read...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I'm not a big fan of them killing off major characters like that. Man At Arms should have retired and passed away in his sleep at an old age. If anyone is going to die, let it be Snout Spout or Gwildor or something.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Sometimes dogs die.

Who cares?

My toys are still on the shelf, ready to die another day the way I want.

Besides, I'm glad MOTU is taking itself more seriously - just like the original mini-comics. More Filmation-esq buffoonery would be tiresome.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

The darker the better
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    MOTU started off pretty dark. No death, but those mini-comics and the vibe from them were great. I actually wish they would return to something similar. MOTUC is aimed at adult collectors and the bar has been raised pretty high by things like The Dark Knight and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    The darker the better
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I'd prefer to think of all my favorite MOTU characters using walkers, playing Bridge, and sitting around the Eternian Old Folks Home.

The great thing about this line is that you can make up your own canon. You can go with the FILMATION version, the mini comics, the current comics, the 200X version, or a combination of everything. Ignore what you don't like, accept what you do...or just make stuff up.

That said, YES, I dislike the dark direction. To me, even though MOTU is filled with musclebound warrior types armed with edged weapons, it was never meant to mirror CONAN, 300, or LORD OF THE RINGS. It should be lighter than that stuff. But that's just my personal interpretation. If somebody else is cool with another version, that's cool too!
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

I enjoy seeing the story evolve and become a little more adult. I can just ignore what I don't like.

I enjoy the stories getting darker and more mature.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Dark would be: "And then He-Man smote Skeletor, beheading him and bathing in the blood that sprayed forth from his neck stump" and so on and so forth. Saying death is dark in and of itself is like saying that all stories should never have anyone die ANYWHERE. You're thinking of this as some sort of ongoing story like an animation or a comic, but all this is being told in snippets on the backs of toys. You think they would detail ALL of that in a toon? Chances are most of these situations wouldn't be directly shown. If this were a toon, the character deaths would probably be meaningful and sad, but not dark. Death happens, and though it's not a common occurance in kid's toons, it has happened and it has worked.

So no, I can't agree that any of this is dark. People aren't being slain left and right, and it's sorta like "and then at the end of the great battle, we sadly lost these great warriors" not like "AND STRATOS WAS TOTALLY BEHEADED YEEEEAAAAAHH."
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    I am definitely annoyed indeed. It means nothing in the real world people die: who would like to set a fantasy story in the real world anyway? What do we know of Eternian lifespans? A man could live practically forever there. This sure appears to be the way in Despondos. One of the things I loved about the old MOTU cartoon was that it took place in an eternal present. You could watch the episodes in any sequence, it made little difference. To me, that alone was priceless. Anyway: yes, definitely annoyed. Note: I find interesting enough that the new licenced comics from DC do not really borrow into the "bios".

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Characters die. In a battle for planetary control and with combatants on both sides who possess so much raw power, you have to expect some to perish. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Or butter. You definitely need butter, too
    Butter? Ugh, you sure mean olive oil. Who would cook an omelette with butter?

BTW, didn't Scott request a list of Eternian food items? I wonder what he was planning to do with it. Maybe Mattel has an Eternian cuisine book in the works...

Back on topic, I really don't mind TG's pulp fiction getting as dark as his author pleases, since I couldn't care less about that glorified fanfic. This sentiment applies equally to the mediocre stuff DC is putting out.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I am annoyed. Man at Arms dying a snake man isn't part of my cannon. As far as I'm concerned these old soldiers never die, they just live in an eternal state, forever accessible and always available. But that's what's great about this... It can be whatever I want it to be. If I like an idea in a bio I might adopt it but I don't have to adopt it like some of these stupid names they come up with. I don't really care what Ram Man's "real name" is, his real name is Ram Man.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Court Magician
    I like the darker story. I love Filmation, but an episode ends where instead of Skeletor being brought to justice, he is chased by werebats. He-Man just laughs. This is an adult collector line, I appreciate a darker story here. I would rather see a hero die in battle, than in old age. It doesnt bother me that they are not amazing deaths because its dealt with in the space confines of a bio. This is the story from Preternia until at least the son of He-Man, I would rather hear how charaters die, instead of it happening off screen. Swords should be for more than deflecting lasers and cutting vines. To me, this isnt that dark, certainly not any darker than Star Wars Clone Wars, and that is geared towards kids. They may not kill off major characters on Clone Wars, but killing of major characters doesnt make something dark. Im not sure if I would enjoy a dark MOTU, which I dont think this is, this is just darker than Filmation.

I don't mind a darker story and tone, I just dislike the parts that are written poorly or darkness for 'maturity's' sake.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Dark would be: "And then He-Man smote Skeletor, beheading him and bathing in the blood that sprayed forth from his neck stump" and so on and so forth. Saying death is dark in and of itself is like saying that all stories should never have anyone die ANYWHERE. You're thinking of this as some sort of ongoing story like an animation or a comic, but all this is being told in snippets on the backs of toys. You think they would detail ALL of that in a toon? Chances are most of these situations wouldn't be directly shown. If this were a toon, the character deaths would probably be meaningful and sad, but not dark. Death happens, and though it's not a common occurance in kid's toons, it has happened and it has worked.

So no, I can't agree that any of this is dark. People aren't being slain left and right, and it's sorta like "and then at the end of the great battle, we sadly lost these great warriors" not like "AND STRATOS WAS TOTALLY BEHEADED YEEEEAAAAAHH."
    I agree.

It's not dark, it's realistic. Elders DO pass away of old age and warriors DO fall in battle. Nothing has really been that over-the-top or gruesome, save for maybe Vykron getting ripped in half by Gygor. Though it does seem a likely way for a giant evil gorilla to dispatch an enemy.

I know it's all fantasy, but I appreciate that the Classics mythos is trying to tell a realistic tale of the struggle for power on Eternia, which spans centuries.

Oh, and I'll take my omelette with butter. Evil butter!!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

How dark would you consider Lord of the Rings or Willow or Jonh Carter of Mars or Flash Gordon? This isn't a kids cartoon were the bad guys run off scared once He-Man shows up and Battle Cat chases Catra around like children in a school yard.

Just because there is progression in the story doesn't mean that it has become dark. If we are talking Days of Future's Past then yeah, it's dark. If we are talking Kingdom Come were there is a change in the status quo and the heroes age, some change their attitudes, some have kids, some retire and yes, some fall in battle then to me that isn't dark.

But, like with all properties, the future is what you make of it. Looking at DC there have been stories over the years were Superman ends up with Wonder Woman in the future and they have a daughter or he ends up with Lois Lane and they have a son. Sometimes Batman ends up with Catwoman, sometimes with Talia Al-Ghul, sometimes by himself. The future is what you want, not what they tell you it is. Now this is canon, someone else may take over and change the canon.

If you want a progression in story were nothing changes and there is no King He-Man since Randor never steps down then that is for you to decide, not Mattel. You have the absolute power in the grand scheme of things.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…