View Poll Results: Is death in Masters of the Universe stories necessary?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! We're adults, and it's time for MOTU to grow up like most other properties.

35 24.82%
  • No! There is no need for all the death in MOTU lately.

36 25.53%
  • Sometimes. Death is a part of life and most stories. In MOTU, it should be done only as needed.

70 49.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is death in Masters of the Universe stories necessary?

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar

Is death in Masters of the Universe stories necessary?

With all the recent conversation about too many deaths in the bios and comics, do you think it's necessary?
    Last edited by The All American; March 1, 2013 at 11:48am.

I voted sometimes.

In a short story line with no continuity, death may not be necessary. However, in a story line like the MOTUC mythos where the story spans centuries, death should be a part of it. People are going to die of old age and warriors are going to fall in battle.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    Choices one and three are technically the same thing. And death has been on the table in MOTU since the mini-comics, so this is, to me, a non-issue.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Collec-Tor View Post
    Choices one and three are technically the same thing. And death has been on the table in MOTU since the mini-comics, so this is, to me, a non-issue.
    I hear you.

I would say the first choice is for those that want more adult themes, and deaths are more numerous.

The third choice is a moderate choice. Deaths only occassionally, and normally would not be a main character.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yes, it's necessary if MOTU stories want to be taken seriously and to grow in the context of the situation of planetary civil war. Otherwise the stories remain stagnant and stale.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Are deaths necessary? No. Are they realistic in context? Absolutely! In any ongoing storyline where epic battles are waged, there are bound to be casualties. However, in MOTU/MOTUC, I feel like it would help a lot if we had a clear timeline of events to put the deaths (essentially major changes) into perspective.

Then again, I guess Masters of the Universe canon has always been fluid and open to interpretation...I feel like as long as the deaths are handled well, and make sense within the context of the main themes, they are okay. I will say though that I feel as if things have gotten pretty dark and depressing. And rightfully so, as who would want to hear that their favorite characters have met a horrible fate?

Don't care for it, don't need it for a good story, Skeletor almost winning is enough. Let's be honost it's not like we're talking about a Shakespearean drama series. To me it still is a kid/childhood thing with the little "what have we learned today" ending. So maybe a budgie that dies cause they put him in front of an open window, that's more than enough.

It's just replacing charaters for new ones for the sake of continuity of a story they can bend each and any way they want, hoping new charaters will get the same love as the characters they replace .... why, it's a cartoon. He-man will be there long after I die just like Man at arms!
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

I voted option 3 because I'm not opposed to death in MOTU, only if it pushes the story forward. I'm against it when it's done for shock value or to show how "edgy" or "adult" MOTU has turned. Not against change, only against STUPID change.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    No, not neccessary...

Heroic Warrior
    He-Man and MOTU were stories and characters meant for children. I wish the focus on the storylines would be that way. I thought the 200x cartoon did a decent job balancing a serious story with it being appropriate for a younger audience.
    I want to pass down he-man to a younger generation so they can share the same experiences I had as a child.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Quote Originally Posted by cderby79 View Post
    He-Man and MOTU were stories and characters meant for children. I wish the focus on the storylines would be that way. I thought the 200x cartoon did a decent job balancing a serious story with it being appropriate for a younger audience.
    I want to pass down he-man to a younger generation so they can share the same experiences I had as a child.
    Then feel free to whip out any of the previous cartoons' DVDs, man. No-one's trying to take that away from you. They'll always be there for you and the kids to enjoy!

This is an "18 and over" "adult collector line" afterall, so I'm appreciating the deaths some of the time. I do feel there have been a few TOO many on the heroic side, but I do find the bad guys cooler!

Hey, they "killed off" my favourite, Hordak when Skeletor drained his essence to become cyborg Skelly, which I actually thought was very badass and a fitting way for Hordak to go. I would have preferred that Hordak kill Horde Prime first and take over the Horde Empire, but poetic justice is a very good second place.

Bottom line is that these aren't even major entertainment. They're bios on the backs of action figures accompanied by a few minicomics. I'm sure that the next incarnation of MOTU will be completely different once again. :P
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

i voted yes rather than sometimes because i wanted to be mature and accept responsibility for my opinion. see i wanted sometimes until i remembered as needed implies that my opinion of when it is needed is important. it is not. death is only used in masters as needed as decided by the creators.

we may not agree that something was needed but it is not our creative work and our opinions dont hold weight.

so really there is only yes or no. no sometimes.

so yes. death has value in any story. it should be utilized as needed as determin hose that write the stories.

Sometimes, yes, absolutely. The MOTUC Canon is pushing the story out much further (in all direcions) that it has ever reached before. Given the short, less than episodic nature of the Bios themselves, it certainly comes off as callous and off-the-cuff when a character dies (Stratos, MAA, Zodac, etc.), but given the true scope of the story being told, it only makes sense taht characters will ultimately perish. Even the Classics Mini-Comics have been constrained by time and space in their depiction of what we would consider Major Events. I see these limitations as possibilities, however, as they leave quite a bit of wiggle room for us fans to insert our own takes on the storyline. That battle between Duncan and Clamp Champ? Lasted for hours in my book; it wasn't as one-and-done as the comic had room to show. Stratos' sacrifice? Touching, poignant, and epic! I adore the MOTUC Canon, and fill in details of my own as I see fit (open to editing with new information as we all "Keep Reading the Bios!").
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I hear you.

I would say the first choice is for those that want more adult themes, and deaths are more numerous.

The third choice is a moderate choice. Deaths only occassionally, and normally would not be a main character.
    Yes, it makes more sense now. I guess I was thinking the poll was asking more of a yes/no only question. Thanks for that!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I feel its ok. specially when it adds or progresses the story. I however don't care for pointless deaths that feel empty.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

No, it's only needed when it's necessary, like old age, I get people die in battles....but all the death has not been a necessity other than to further a story that I don't care about following. The Filmation story and whatever future I can imagine is what story I'll be following. I get in a way Filmation MOTU could be somewhat less goofy, but even still, death isn't needed just to introduce new characters. Hello G1 Transformers....I honestly cared less for most of the '86 crew introduced, aside from Magnus & Springer, but they killed off most of the '84 - '86 cast simply to sell new toys....leaving mainly Jazz & Bumblebee, and Jazz was written off once Scatman Crothers, the voice actor died.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

It all depends on what kind of story you are going for. If you are going for something episodic that doesn't have an over all story, death isn't that necessary except maybe a life lesson on how to handle death. But in a more ongoing and continuing style story death is going to have to come into play at some point even in a story not dealing with war. characters age and things happen.

the problem is the transmission of the story of MOTUC, it's essentially reading the cliff notes or wikipedia excerpts from the story without having the story really being put out there. Just look at the King He-man bio, He-man comes back gets married has a son (biologically or adoptive) has his dad die during this time, and his son has become the new "He-man". That isn't something that happened over night, that is easily a few chapters worth of a novel starting off a new series of books if not a book unto itself. The same is true for most of the bios.

For me it's neither necessary nor unnecessary it's a matter of what you are trying to do with your story. MOTUC the story is a progressive story so death is going to come up. Filmation was far more episodic and only had the vaguest sense of ongoing continuity. MYP more towards MOTUC but had time to flush out a story.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Sometimes.

Death is an important part of ANY good story. We must pass on the life, adventures, and lessons of one hero to the next.

Examples:
    -Uncle Ben to Peter Parker
    -Jaga to Lion-O
    -Yoda to Luke
    -Prof. Bruttenholm to Hellboy
    -Mama Longneck to Littlefoot

Among others........
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Of course there should be deaths. It's a storyline that takes place over thousands of years making some deaths inevitable, and beyond that it's almost entirely based around war and giant battles. It would be unrealistic and a bit ignorant to have those battles and have no one die.

Snappy Threader
    I voted no. I do understand in real life death happens. But, MOTU isn't real life, and it's a break from real life for most of us to kind of get lost in the stories, cartoons, etc. I like these properties to stay the same as I always remember them. I understand all points of view on it though....just my opinion.

I don't know. Depends who get killed and how. Picking one character or two character to die in story is always risk to get negative reaction.

i voted sometimes. i'm more concerned with how convoluted the story is becoming. i find myself rewriting huge chunks of the storyline with my own continuity, either because i don't like a direction they took, or i feel some things could be consolidated or simplified.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Sometimes.

I feel it should be handled in the traditional comic book route where death is really nothing to worry about. "Dead" characters just find a way to come back a few month/years later.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I voted option 3 because I'm not opposed to death in MOTU, only if it pushes the story forward. I'm against it when it's done for shock value or to show how "edgy" or "adult" MOTU has turned. Not against change, only against STUPID change.
    My sentiments too.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

I think Death can/should be worked in to the stories when necessary. I understand the desire to maintain the purity of the Filmation stories, especially for younger generations, but why can't MOTU be the same as Batman or Superman? Kids obviously have material they can watch and enjoy, but there is also much darker material aimed at a more adult audience. I'm not crazy about the new comics, but I can also accept that this is only ONE version of the story. Filmation and the Classic Bios offer completely different takes.

In the end, the more varied and unique each story line is, the more opportunity for pulling in new fans. I think the key is in keeping the core ideas of who the characters are. 99% of the time, Batman is Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his parents and decided to take matters in to his own hands. But we have seen completely different variations on the character from Bob Kane to Adam West to Frank Miller to Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan - each adaptation has only thickened the character's rich history. And each incarnation keeps the character alive for the next generation to take over.
    Last edited by FutureRetro; July 10, 2013 at 11:52pm.