Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing the air on Castle Grayskull

Clearing the air on Castle Grayskull

Hey He Fans and She Ravers,

With a lot going on right now (Filmation, Castle, end of the Mayan Calendar etc...) I wanted to try and reach out and clear the air. Their are a lot of posts floating around and some concern that I hope I can clear up.

First off. Loud and clear. I know some fans/customers want the Castle to be larger or at the least as large as the initial B-sheet and foam model and dimensions given on the Castle's pre sale page. Now to bring this to the "legal base level" we did make it clear on the pre sale page that all size dimnesions were estimates and subject to change. The Castle from day one has been an unpresedented project. I mean come on, selling in a 6" playset from a drawing B sheet? Who does that? And having a fan base strong enough to make this a reality? Only He-Fans are that strong!

I wish we could make the Castle bigger, I really do. And I totally understand some fans/customers want this as well. Bottom line, is that based on the price of $250.00, the current sculpt is 100% the biggest we can get. Yes. It is an inch or two smaller than the dimensions given at presale. And 100% we still expect some changes to happen (not neccessarily to the size but possibly to some of the accessories). We are committed to making sure to update everyone as the process continues to be as upfront as possible on any changes coming through.

In no way is anyone trying to hoodwink or scam anyone. As I said. This entire process is very unprecendented. Change is inevitable. The Castle will continue to evolve but everyone working on it from me, to the Horsemen to Ruben and Mario from design and so forth are completely committed to devliering the best playset we possibly can. In no way do we expect to please 100% of the fans. With fans as passionate as MOTU fans, no one expects to do that. We are not secretly trying to bring down the brand. (never seem to understand where that comes from to tell you the truth!) Why would I do anything to prevent more cool MOTU collector product from being made? After all, I am a collector too you know!

And I know my answers can many times come across as "corporate". A lot of that is just circumstantial. Many of my answers have to go thorugh the "PR machine" and get approved. I try to joke it up when I can (like mentioning that the Flag can be placed in your fridge) but if my tone offends anyone, please just know that I don't have 100% control over messaging even I put out. If we are saying "no" to fan suggestions, it doesn't mean we disagree with the suggestion, it often just means it is just not something possible.

I often wish I had a magic wand and could just make the perfect toy happen. As is; we are fighting day in and day out to make the entire MOTUC line (including the Castle) the best it can be. I think when folks see the final model in San Diego, fears that the size is not up to snuff will be dilutted. Those who were in person at NYTF (i.e. Val, Dan) have been pretty vocal that the castle is huge. Yes, it is slightly smaller vs the foam model, but that is just part of the toy making process.

And to reassure everoyne that we are not trying to "pull a fast one" note that you can 100% cancel your order all the way through Aug 30 if in any way the ev er evolving playset does not meet your needs. (but note when you cancel, you can not then go back and reinstate, so do think carefully).

In the end, this is going to be an amazing peice and I hope will please the majority of fans. We are actively working on the following changes from what was shown at NYTF:

1: Adding a slot in the throne for the Sorceress' tail feathers.
    2: Adding a slot/crack by the Jaw Bridge for the Power Sword (like in the mini comics)
    3: Adding a key hole in the back door that fits Scareglow's key
    4: Lowering the Jaw Bridge door into the base for a taller opening

Beyond that, their just is not time or resources to make changes. We 100% hear fans on many suggestions, but when we say "no we can't make that change" it is not meant as an insult, it is just letting fans/customers know that factually that change can't be made. If I gave the impression that the model shown in NY was going to change, then bad on me. But to be clear now, their won't be changes beyond what was shown and noted above. We hope everything shown in NY will be in the final toy, but their is always a chance things may change/get cut. If that does happen, we will be sure to let everyone know.

Looking ahead, boy do we have amazing things coming down! Club Filmation, SDCC exclusives (to be revealed in late Spring) and the 2014 line is shapping up well. I have worked with the team to create a new roadmap that if we get a 2014 and 2015 line should wrap up the vintage lines and most of the major fan requested animated figs. It doesn't mean we won't get to more in 2016 and beyond, but with rising costs we wanted to do all we can to get to the vintage line in the next two years.

A lot more is still to come in 2013. We won't know more about 2014 until after the sub sell in at SDCC this summer. I'll try to get on the boards this weekend and jump in on RGD if I can. We've got so much good stuff to look forward to, I am nothing but grinning ear to ear.

See you all on the boards!

Scott
    Last edited by Toyguru; March 1, 2013 at 04:58pm.

Thanks so much for this, Scott. I know there will be a lot of us who appreciate it and appreciate your directness, here. I hope people take this to heart, and remember that at the other end of the screen there's a real human being, the same as the rest of us.

I can't wait to see it in person at Powercon!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Keep up the good work Scott and thanks for the update!
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Thanks Scott! I REALLY appreciate you being available, active, and keeping us informed. No other brand manager does that, so THANK YOU!

Really looking forward to the final Castle Grayskull shown at SDCC in just 4.5 months
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Yeah thanks Scott.. Now about that Canadian shipping..

Great news,sounds like 2013 will have more surprises and that 2014 seems to be going well.

I hope the door on CG can be lowered,but if not it is still going to be the best playset I have ever seen.

Scott.....please try some castle accessory paks in the future as well.

Thanks for the hard work!
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Thanks a lot, Scott! I can count on one hand the amount of toy companies that have a person who comes out and does this. You are truly dedicated. Thanks for sloggin' through the mush and trying to get out the information as best you can - hopefully you understand how many of us really appreciate it.

As for the castle: I was looking forward to it, am still looking forward to it, and I honestly can't think of any changes that could possibly make me cancel. Getting it this big is crazy enough, and I wouldn't want it that much bigger anyway (we are at a good price for this thing as it is! I wouldn't want it any more expensive). Great to hear about the changes in the works!

As a whole, we are WELL past the point of "amazing" with this toyline. Doesn't matter where or when it ends. It can only be looked back upon as amazing.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Snappy Threader
    Thanks for the update TG. Keep on keepin on....

Great info! Thank Scott!

Thanks for the info Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    As a whole, we are WELL past the point of "amazing" with this toyline. Doesn't matter where or when it ends. It can only be looked back upon as amazing.
    Bravo....well said!
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

My biggest gripe with the castle is the height of the jawbridge. Lower that hinge and I'll be happy.

Can you answer a question for me though?
    Can the inside floors be removed when we get it or is it a one-time installation? I'd just like to be able to display it completely opened up (180 degrees) but if my nephew wants to play with it, install the floors when he comes over.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Scott, great post. Thank you for all you have done to make this a dream come true. I know its not "perfect" and nothing is but my goodness what a wonderful collection so far! And I do appreciate those adjustments you mentioned that are being worked on. Most people don't know the feeling of being pulled back and forth between fandom and corporate realities so for all you do, thanks. When my 3 Grayskulls arrive, I will be in MOTU heaven! Thanks again for your efforts. The nostalgia of this brand and collecting this line helped me through some rough times at one point. So, again, thanks.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...Thanks as always for being one of the VERY FEW "faces" of the toy-industry to come out and actively address the fan-base, even when there are those who are tactless & ungrateful striking out at you at every oppertunity! Most of the "reasonable" folks know there's only so much control you have, and that it's ultimately the execs that have the final say. If you can answer back, a quick question or two please: is the "candle" that opens the trap-door being included? Also, that sheet at Toy-Fair mentioned a "Spirit of Grayskull" SLUG figure of translucent plastic... Any comment on that, please?
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Hello Scott!! Big thank you for your great post!! Can't wat to get Castle Grayskull and all the awesome figures!!!
    One Question: Are there any updates for the problem with Octavias leotard?

I hope he meant that lowering the jaw bridge into the base would increase the HEIGHT of the entrance, not the WIDTH.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    I appreciate this response and the time taken to actually address concerns. This shows some goodwill and kudos to Scott for that, but this doesn't resolve the issue. What we were promised is not what we are getting, and that to me is pretty sad.

I would still like him to address the question of Canadian Shipping prices with this same measure of candor though.
    Last edited by Vikor; March 2, 2013 at 12:57am.

Thank you very much Scott and thank you to all involved in the process of the castle becoming a reality. Thanks for listing to us and thank you for taking the time to come back again and again, although "we", the fanbase seem to be and are rude at times. This is just because we all are so passionate about this brand, our fond memories of the vintage lines, the 200X reincarnation, MOTUC, and everything that belongs to the MOTU/POP/NA/200X/MOTUC mythos and universe.

Sometimes things do not go along that smooth on both sides, but hey, in the end, it's all of us together!!! Even He-Man does not have as much power as all of us do if we stay together till the very end!

Thank you Scott. I am really looking forward to the Castle and hope we can get additional accessories later before all is said and done. It looks amazing and I already have the space prepared for it. I hope the Jaw bridge can be lowered, but if it can't, I will STILL want this castle.

Thanks Scott. Your transparency and enthusiasm are appreciated by many of us.

I really appreciate the positive outlook when it comes to 2014 and 2015. I am so excited to think we'll have all of the vintage figures by the end of 2015 if everything goes well. What an INCREDIBLE collection it will be!!!! I'm looking forward to the Castle and more wonderful MOTUC figures. I LOVE this line, and I don't even want to think about a time when I won't be getting at least one figure for it every month.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

maybe if you cut it out with the wink wink nod nod attitude, and the trying to be a fun guy stuff people would take you more seriously. I for one would rather you be all corporate than the demeaning and frankly insulting way you word your posts most of the time Scott.
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Yeah, Scott. Thanks, man. I'll add my voice to the collectors who appreciate your candor and good humor. Seriously. Thanks for all the work you do.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

A sincere

THANK YOU, Sir
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Thx for clearing the air bro...im stocked for all the new MOTUC stuff coming up and beyond...,.

keep fighting the good fight man!!
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.