Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing the air on Castle Grayskull

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled about the logistics of the increase in pre-order prices. We already had the minimum to make Grayskull viable plus some. The more orders, the less per unit Mattel is actually spending to make it. It does seem it was simply punitive; that, or they realized that they would likely be getting some significant cancellations when the prototype came in being less than what folks were led to believe.
    the ladder ...
    My Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdi0veA8Kn0

Vintage Collector:
    Sell Me your MOC Vintage

My Feed Back Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...61#post3202161

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Someone doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm. Maybe if I had ended my post with a cute little face like this?

- - - Updated - - -

The $300 price point for CG was announced when the pre-orders started. Or at least somewhere around that time.
    yea better like that !
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> CA Heroic warriors He-man/Teela/Ramman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> CA Evil Warriors Skeletor/Faker/Beastman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> US Evil horde Hordak/Leech/Mantenna 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

I'm a bit puzzled about the logistics of the increase in pre-order prices. We already had the minimum to make Grayskull viable plus some. The more orders, the less per unit Mattel is actually spending to make it. It does seem it was simply punitive; that, or they realized that they would likely be getting some significant cancellations when the prototype came in being less than what folks were led to believe.
    Maybe it's so they break even when they're all 50% off for BF in 2014!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    But, it already is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. That's cool if you liked what you saw at SDCC. If this castle were only $150 I'd be happy with it too. But for $250 we're getting a clamshell that really is not much larger than any other castle they have ever released. We were SUPPOSED to get Molded Interior Walls and a much larger castle overall.

As far as I'm concerned, this thing already is just a shadow of what we were promised. It still boggles my mind that more people aren't upset about the molded interior walls being cut. To me, that was the ONLY thing making this worth the price tag. I really hated the original castle. Even as a kid I remembered being disappointed with the interior walls just being the reverse of the outside and thinking how cheap the whole thing felt. So when Scott said this was going to have molded interior walls I got excited. And now to be told this is back to being just a clam shell?? I just cannot understand how a clam shell can justify the price of this thing.

I like the sculpt, but a $250 castle this is NOT. I'm waiting for the final reveal, and if I'm not blown away, Mattel can kiss my preorders all goodbye. I'm not hopeful of being blown away...I am NOT impressed with what I saw revealed to date. The sculpt is good, but not $250 good.

I'm a huge fan of motu but it's a very tough choice for me. I'm going to Have to agree with this. I will cancel if I don't see what I like at sdcc. Btw we can cancel correct? I hope they don't say we have to keep them since it's a PO or get charge a penalty fee.

Heroic Warrior
    But, it already is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. That's cool if you liked what you saw at SDCC. If this castle were only $150 I'd be happy with it too. But for $250 we're getting a clamshell that really is not much larger than any other castle they have ever released. We were SUPPOSED to get Molded Interior Walls and a much larger castle overall.

As far as I'm concerned, this thing already is just a shadow of what we were promised. It still boggles my mind that more people aren't upset about the molded interior walls being cut. To me, that was the ONLY thing making this worth the price tag. I really hated the original castle. Even as a kid I remembered being disappointed with the interior walls just being the reverse of the outside and thinking how cheap the whole thing felt. So when Scott said this was going to have molded interior walls I got excited. And now to be told this is back to being just a clam shell?? I just cannot understand how a clam shell can justify the price of this thing.

I like the sculpt, but a $250 castle this is NOT. I'm waiting for the final reveal, and if I'm not blown away, Mattel can kiss my preorders all goodbye. I'm not hopeful of being blown away...I am NOT impressed with what I saw revealed to date. The sculpt is good, but not $250 good.
    Agreed. I was O.K. with the decreased size. I was O.K. with the removable Wind Raider plug gimmick. What ruined the castle for me personally was the short drawbridge and ridiculously raised base & bottom floor as well as Mattel's snotty "just cancel, then" attitude. I've had all the castles from MOTU and was looking forward to the Classics Grayskull as the ultimate masterpiece of the line. What a letdown. I can't spend $300.00 on this thing.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    as well as Mattel's snotty "just cancel, then" attitude.
    I guess people prefer Mattel's "you must buy it" attitude. What's the less "snotty" way to say "if you are unhappy, you can cancel your order?"

Here's a list of attitudes the "snotty Mattel" camp actually want:

1. "Oh my god, we're soooo sorry we couldn't create the perfect castle that was Filmation accurate, vintage toy accurate, just a facade, a complete playset, four-walled, one-walled, two-walled, and 3' tall at the prefered price point of $150. So we're going back to the drawing board and make this thing work. Sure it'll double our cost, but it's worth it to make all of the fans happy."
    2. "Sorry you don't like it, we've fired Scott. He was trying to destroy MOTU all along, this castle proves it."
    3. "Sorry you don't like it, FREE CASTLES FOR EVERYONE!!!!"

I understand the disapointment over the size, but what more can they do but offer people the opportunity to not purchase it? They've sunk a huge chunk of change to get it this far, they've listed changes they're going to try to make, there's not much left to say but "if you don't like it, you can cancel your pre order."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Nizzy View Post
    I guess people prefer Mattel's "you must buy it" attitude. What's the less "snotty" way to say "if you are unhappy, you can cancel your order?"

1. "Oh my god, we're soooo sorry we couldn't create the perfect castle that was Filmation accurate, vintage toy accurate, just a facade, a complete playset, four-walled, one-walled, two-walled, and 3' tall at the prefered price point of $150. So we're going back to the drawing board and make this thing work. Sure it'll double our cost, but it's worth it to make all of the fans happy."
    2. "Sorry you don't like it, we've fired Scott. He was trying to destroy MOTU all along, this castle proves it."
    I think a lot of people would settle for, "We're sorry guaranteed something through writing or one of our official representatives and then went back on that pledge once again, and this will be the last time we do that."

As for the earlier question about cancelling, they have said that you can cancel even after SDCC. They pretty much HAVE to allow that, especially if any of the accessories have been cut, as they guaranteed in writing that would not happen. Forcing you to pay and then not delivering what was promised in writing is illegal, and they know that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by D-Nizzy View Post

I understand the disapointment over the size, but what more can they do but offer people the opportunity to not purchase it? They've sunk a huge chunk of change to get it this far, they've listed changes they're going to try to make, there's not much left to say but "if you don't like it, you can cancel your pre order."
    If we could believe it was an honest mistake, then it wouldn't be as big a deal. But everytime Mattel 'estimates' wrong, the customers are on the losing end of things. If they were simply terrible at estimating, you would expect half of the misses to be in our favor. But they aren't. IMO, underestimating costs and overestimating the amount and quality of product that can be delivered is not a mistake, it's their marketing strategy. And to me, that feels dishonest.

So the attitude that I want Mattel to have is this:
    Let's just be straight-up with the customers and just once, when we mess up, we foot the bill. They shouldn't pay for our mistakes.

I wonder if it's to prevent people from hopping on and off the bandwagon. They probably planned to allow cancellations the whole time, and they didn't want people canceling and the re-ordering willy nilly?

In the beginning it was probably to encourage people to pre-order and not wait. I guess they may just have to keep that going because people might cry foul if they lifted it, too.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

instead of coming on the boards and typing out long winded apologies over things that are out of your control, to appease people who will never be happy, you take the time to address actual customer service complaints for products that have been purchased, and mend your relations with customers that have been shafted. that is something that is in your control. just sayin.

They're already penalizing ALL of us with a smaller size, no more molded interior walls, cutting accessories, etc.

Just to say my piece on this whole Castle Grayskull thing and I'm going to say it as nicely as I can: I personally feel we were all duped.
    I just cannot believe that the world's biggest toy company who has experience making these castles already and even makes LARGER items (Barbie Dream Houses) could get everything on the B-Sheet so wrong. I understood that certain things might change from the B-Sheet when I preordered all of mine, and I was fine with that. Unfortunately for me, I did not think they would change so drastically. For me personally, I could live with the smaller size OR the molded interior walls being nixed. However, I just cannot live with both those things being cut.

I also don't understand the need to cut anything. ToyGuru has stated that they originally wanted to sell this at $200 but made it $250 so they wouldn't have to cut anything. As well, he said we blew the sales for this out of the water. With all of that, I just don't understand why ANYTHING had to be cut.

What I saw revealed is not worth anywhere close to $250.

I love the figures, I love the Wind Raider, and for the most part, I feel I get my money's worth on all those. But this whole castle thing just grinds my gears.
    The part that bothers me about all this was the comments on RGD. They pointed out how horrible it was that the original castle was only a shell and the use of stickers and cut-outs. Well, funny enough we are getting a shell and a sticker and some plastic pieces that may as well be cardboard cut-outs. I'm holding off until after SDCC to cancel, but the meter is at 99% likely to cancel.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The fact that things have been relatively quiet lately on Grayskull updates leads me hope that they've been in "mad scramble" mode to make this thing worth our money by SDCC time.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    The fact that things have been relatively quiet lately on Grayskull updates leads me hope that they've been in "mad scramble" mode to make this thing worth our money by SDCC time.
    I sure hope so. Sadly for me, unless the size is restored to all the dimensions shown on the original B-Sheet and / or we get the molded interior walls back, I'm cancelling. I really do not think they will do either of those, but you never know. For $250 this thing has to be BIG and AMAZING. A great sculpt by the 4H is not enough for me to justify $250 for--truth be told--a castle that without the base is no bigger than any other castle they ever released.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

I sure hope so. Sadly for me, unless the size is restored to all the dimensions shown on the original B-Sheet and / or we get the molded interior walls back, I'm cancelling. I really do not think they will do either of those, but you never know. For $250 this thing has to be BIG and AMAZING. A great sculpt by the 4H is not enough for me to justify $250 for--truth be told--a castle that without the base is no bigger than any other castle they ever released.
    Exactly. It's not that it doesn't look good, it's just that with the reduced sized, inner sculpting removed, accessories/features removed, etc. I no longer feel it is $250 cool.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

It's $250 because of how many are made, not because of the sculpt or features. This isn't a retail item at Walmart or TRU.

I think some fans are happy about what they are getting -- a full-sized Castle, something they were told repeatedly that they had to wait until a movie year or new entertainment. And we are getting a Castle in spite of those ventures NOT being on the immediate horizon. Some of these fans are disappointed at the losses and the shrinkage, but they see a cool playset.

Unfortunately, others see Grayskull and are focusing on what they've lost.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's $250 because of how many are made, not because of the sculpt or features. This isn't a retail item at Walmart or TRU.

I think some fans are happy about what they are getting -- a full-sized Castle, something they were told repeatedly that they had to wait until a movie year or new entertainment. And we are getting a Castle in spite of those ventures NOT being on the immediate horizon. Some of these fans are disappointed at the losses and the shrinkage, but they see a cool playset.

Regardless of how many are being made, it's still the same price of what it was supposed to be. The vintage castle top was supposed to reach the eyeballs of this new castle......no clamshell, and all accessories on b-sheet were supposed to be included. I also want to know who the genius was that put the "trap" door in a space where the invader cannot be "trapped" into the dungeon? It should be called the escape hatch since it drops the invader to the front door of the castle.

I'm really not sure why I don't cancel my order now, instead of waiting for SDCC? This castle really is not worth the $250 with all the cuts done to it. I guess there is some glimmer of hope that Mattel changes the dimensions back to the b-sheet.....but Toyguru said that wasn't happening. The clamshell is just making it that more disappointing. I'm 99.99% sure that I will be canceling my order come July. It really is a great sculpt, but it really lost it's worth with the size shrinkage. The money will now either end up going for a laptop or maybe towards a PS4.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

MOTUC Castle Grayskull is bigger than both the other versions. I'm not sure how it is smaller than pr the same size as those two.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Technically bigger? Sure. Significantly bigger? Highly debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    MOTUC Castle Grayskull is bigger than both the other versions. I'm not sure how it is smaller than pr the same size as those two.
    Its really only slightly bigger than the 200x one, and the 200x one has more head room clearance for MOTUC figures then the new one has. Also, a good chunk of size is due to the MOTUC one being elevated by the rock formation base. Outside it looks great, inside it falls apart and there's a lot of work to be done. Its not a $250 item, IMO, no matter how many they make. Especially since they hit 'well over' the minimum amount needed at the original pre-order price. So they're selling more than they originally costed out.

The one at NYTF isn't any where close to being final, either. Until you see the final, you can't say it "falls apart." Even before TG said anything, I knew that wasn't the final and that each level would be hanging by blue glue.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Hopefully Scott and the gang can pull it together at SDCC. The presentation of Castle Grayskull at New York was confusing at best. I am definitely questioning the purchase now with so many of the features that make Castle Grayskull so special are now being stripped away for cost.
    Also I thought that the inside sculpt was super uninspired. Between Filmation, the comics, the movie, the original playset it just lacks so much. The outside is very beautiful the 4 horsemen can make a skull rock look really real. Kuddos to that

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It's more than that, though; there's anger because folks saw Mattel once again promise things they aren't delivering. TG led folks to believe the size would not change at NYCC (check out the video; that's where this came from) and stated more than once that the castle would come with all the accessories shown in the b-sheet. The former is already proven worng, and TG's last word on the latter is that we may, indeed, lose some accessories to cut costs.

Folks aren't just focusing on what they lost; they're focusing on what Mattel promised us we'd be getting, and then reneged on.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

.....Unfortunately, others see Grayskull and are focusing on what they've lost.
    I respect your opinion, but I am most certainly NOT focusing on what I've lost. Yes, I'm really mad about what was promised and then reneged on. But more than that, I am focusing on what my $250 is going for: a clamshell that is not really much bigger than the other castles I've paid less than half of this for.

Let me put it this way: I don't care if they're making 10 of these or 10-million of these. $250 is $250. A farmer can put all his love and attention on a single row of corn and produce only 1,000 of the most delicious ears of corn the world has ever know, but I'm not going to pay $100 for an ear of corn. I'm a consumer and I don't give a rat's bunghole about what their production numbers are. I want to feel I'm getting a $250 castle, and I most certainly am not.

Put another way, if Mattel had shown the castle revealed at the toy fair when they first announced the pre-orders, I would NOT have ordered.

So no, I am not focusing on what I've lost (though that is a driving factor). I'm focusing on what I'm getting for $250 and I just don't see it.

Like I said, I could have lived with reduced size OR the molded interior being taken away, but not both.

I guess we'll all see what is finally revealed at SDCC. I have a feeling it won't be anything other than what we've seen and I'm also betting that they show it under the disclaimer that it still is not 100% final.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    Regardless of how many are being made, it's still the same price of what it was supposed to be. The vintage castle top was supposed to reach the eyeballs of this new castle......no clamshell, and all accessories on b-sheet were supposed to be included. I also want to know who the genius was that put the "trap" door in a space where the invader cannot be "trapped" into the dungeon? It should be called the escape hatch since it drops the invader to the front door of the castle.
    EXACTLY!!
    This castle looks cool, and that is the ONLY thing it has going for it. It is too small for the classics line and the features it does have are totally lousy. A trap door that does not fall into the dungeon?? REALLY?? Also, the dungeon is too small! Has anybody noticed that you cannot see a figure's face in the dungeon since the bars don't go high enough? A Wind Raider stand in the middle of the castle that's going to make the WR look ridiculously big and the castle ridiculously small. Ledge without foot pegs to hold the characters on? I mean, come on Mattel!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!

Agreed with above if the castle was shown for the pre-order as is I would not have pre-ordered either. As it is unless something changes I'm also canceling after SDCC. I just don't feel to ME, and that is really the only thing that matters to ME, that is worth $250. No matter how many of you guys argue that it's a limited number, Scott did us a favor getting this pushed through. All that matters to me in my world is what I think and I'm holding out hope that I feel differently after seeing it at SDCC. But judging on past experience, I will be canceling.

Quote Originally Posted by ManKindRam View Post
    .....All that matters to me in my world is what I think and I'm holding out hope that I feel differently after seeing it at SDCC. But judging on past experience, I will be canceling.
    I think a LOT of us are holding out hope that after SDCC Scott will reveal something that makes all our jaws hit the floor and we'll all keep our pre-orders. But like you, I just don't see it happening and will be cancelling all my orders (not even gonna keep 1 any more if nothing changes).

My biggest fear is that at SDCC there will be some other drama to contend with. They will reveal something (like an enlarged jaw bridge or molded interior, or the molded dungeon grate) but will have a disclaimer that "We might not be able to get this, guys, but I'm showing it because we're like 75% sure we will get it." and that will make some of us hold on to our pre-orders only to find out after it ships that what we were hoping to get got cut.