Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Clearing the air on Castle Grayskull

Well said Barezz.

I wonder if it's really a minority of those that were genuinely blown away. If that's really true, then I'm in that minority.
    But I'm biased for one.
    2, A huge fan of the early minicomics so the look of this castle is a home run for me.
    and 3... I'm an enthusiastic dad that will play with this castle with my children.

The scale works with the figures, I see your joke there Lay-Ze, and am slightly ignoring it.

I was recently looking over my photos from NYTF, as well as some of the studio shots of it and I'm still very excited to get this castle. Love the secret doorways, the orb room, I've already picked out the shields I wanna hang on the walls, good grief I'm already thinking of the furniture and how to decorate the dang thing?! How un-manly is that?!
    (BTW, Grayskull-Man's shield will go next to the front door, with the weapon's pack, teal King Carnivus shield going next to the elevator. )
    I love the bulk of the floors, the sculpt in the wood, the computer panels. Look at that exterior! It's gorgeous!!! You can choose to let the scale STILL overshadow everything else that works for this castle, but I'll choose to build up my excitement for what it is, and remember, that HOLY CRAP WE'RE GETTING CASTLE GRAYSKULL!

It is bigger than all others before it. It has more features than all others before it. It's sculpt and design and paints by the 4HM makes it more beautiful than all others before it.
    It is a crown jewel for this line, no doubt about it. Everyone that is working on it LOVES it and is bustin' their humps for it. From 4H Studios to Mattel.

I'm tired of reading all the negative posts about it, you're not the only voice in the matter, so I'm expressing my point over and over just like you're doing with yours. I would encourage anyone else that shares my opinion to share as much if they wish. The "canceling my Grayskull" polls still show the majority keeping theirs. Don't let anyone else spoil your fun.

Grayskull is alive and well and being made for Classics as we speak!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I think he means this one:

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2013...-you-could-buy

And cue all of the irrelevant "I won't even have room for the one we're getting!" comments . . .
    That custom is amazing, it would be an awesome display piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Well said Barezz.

I wonder if it's really a minority of those that were genuinely blown away. If that's really true, then I'm in that minority.
    But I'm biased for one.
    2, A huge fan of the early minicomics so the look of this castle is a home run for me.
    and 3... I'm an enthusiastic dad that will play with this castle with my children.

The scale works with the figures, I see your joke there Lay-Ze, and am slightly ignoring it.

I was recently looking over my photos from NYTF, as well as some of the studio shots of it and I'm still very excited to get this castle. Love the secret doorways, the orb room, I've already picked out the shields I wanna hang on the walls, good grief I'm already thinking of the furniture and how to decorate the dang thing?! How un-manly is that?!
    (BTW, Grayskull-Man's shield will go next to the front door, with the weapon's pack, teal King Carnivus shield going next to the elevator. )
    I love the bulk of the floors, the sculpt in the wood, the computer panels. Look at that exterior! It's gorgeous!!! You can choose to let the scale STILL overshadow everything else that works for this castle, but I'll choose to build up my excitement for what it is, and remember, that HOLY CRAP WE'RE GETTING CASTLE GRAYSKULL!

It is bigger than all others before it. It has more features than all others before it. It's sculpt and design and paints by the 4HM makes it more beautiful than all others before it.
    It is a crown jewel for this line, no doubt about it. Everyone that is working on it LOVES it and is bustin' their humps for it. From 4H Studios to Mattel.

I'm tired of reading all the negative posts about it, you're not the only voice in the matter, so I'm expressing my point over and over just like you're doing with yours. I would encourage anyone else that shares my opinion to share as much if they wish. The "canceling my Grayskull" polls still show the majority keeping theirs. Don't let a few sour opinions spoil the fun.

Grayskull is alive and well and being made for Classics as we speak!
    I'm with you, easily the most impressive item at Toy Fair from what I've seen. And I know it will be even better in person.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Everytime someone says something in favor of Grayskull, you write "Power to Good!" If you have Mattel concerns and fears to share with the community, then say "Power to Evil!"

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Everytime someone says something in favor of Grayskull, you write "Power to Good!" If you have Mattel concerns and fears to share with the community, then say "Power to Evil!"
    Genius! Love it!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

"Power to Good!"

I sometimes feel Mattel get hoisted on their own pittard because they take those extra steps to keep fans informed, showing plans and prototypes long before the finished item, and then the fans scream like cut banshees when something changes. Would folk be happy to preorder and then see nothing until the final product arrives at their door? Hahha.

I'm still amazed and incredibly thankful Mattel have offered the MOTUC scale Castle Grayskull. I hope fans stick with their pre-orders.

The success of this item is important to me as I would love Mattel to one day chance their hand at a MOTUC Snake Mountain based either off the Filmation or MYP version.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Yikes! Based on the polls created right here on the org, it seems most people are unhappy and over a third of the respondents are ready to cancel or have already.

Poll: Are you happy with the size of the entrance of Castle Grayskull?
    75% voted NO.

Poll: Are you happy with the size of Castle Grayskull?
    57% voted NO.

Poll: Are you considering canceling your order for Castle Grayskull?
    35% voted YES.

Personally, I'm waiting until SDCC until I make up my mind, but I'm 75% sure I'm going to cancel. The incompetence surrounding the whole project is staggering, especially considering Mattel is one of the largest toy companies in the world. I also have very little faith that the Mattel engineering team can fix all of the problems and deliver a castle worthy of ~$300 (with tax and shipping), but fingers crossed.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Yeah, you're such a pansy NATE! It's not "un-manly!!" LOL We are ALLLLLL thinking about this... I am currently trying to gather pieces to add to the castle.

This is almost exactly how I will be doing it. That weapons pak carnivus shield is PERFECT for the castle, especially because it evokes Central Tower! And I will be putting the Joe Amaro CGM stand in the nook next to the jaw-bridge... so the shield will be there, but on the "statue" of CGM.

Yes, it's all very exciting!!! I won't argue that. The scale change is my only problem (unless more is cut by SDCC). I don't want my figures' heads to hit the floors above them ... but I do love all the things you mention!

I love the "wooden" textured floors - they are amazing. I love the orb room. I love the throne, and the flag, and the Trainer, and the elevator, etc. But the scale change affects what and how much will fit in the castle; it has affected the trap door; the floor space in the throne room (because the throne is still the size it would have been in the larger castle, so it takes up more room); the floor above the computer room is a bit too low as well... it's simply hard to see those things and not feel a bit irked. That's all I'm saying.

I'm tired of reading all the negative posts about it, you're not the only voice in the matter, so I'm expressing my point over and over just like you're doing with yours. I would encourage anyone else that shares my opinion to share as much if they wish. The "canceling my Grayskull" polls still show the majority keeping theirs. Don't let a few sour opinions spoil the fun.
    It must remain "ok" to respectfully point out what one does like as well as what one does not about items we buy from Mattel. Are people who are unhappy with Mattel's changes "sour?" Are they not just adults, who work hard for their money, offering constructive criticism?

I don't speak about people levying threats or using abusive language. Those people are nuts, and need to shut up. I do appreciate both sides of the argument, though, because many of us, myself included, have an opinion and/or perspective that lays somewhere in the middle (as per Barezz's post).

Hopefully SDCC will bring more enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh
    I sometimes feel Mattel get hoisted on their own pittard because they take those extra steps to keep fans informed, showing plans and prototypes long before the finished item, and then the fans scream like cut banshees when something changes. Would folk be happy to preorder and then see nothing until the final product arrives at their door? Hahha.
    They used the B-sheet and video presentations/con appearances to sell the pre-order. It isn't as though that info was leaked...
    Last edited by bcrduke; March 29, 2013 at 07:34pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    Yikes! Based on the polls created right here on the org, it seems most people are unhappy and over a third of the respondents are ready to cancel or have already.

75% voted NO.

57% voted NO.

35% voted YES.

Personally, I'm waiting until SDCC until I make up my mind, but I'm 75% sure I'm going to cancel. The incompetence surrounding the whole project is staggering, especially considering Mattel is one of the largest toy companies in the world. I also have very little faith that the Mattel engineering team can fix all of the problems and deliver a castle worthy of ~$300 (with tax and shipping), but fingers crossed.

Are people not happy with the size? Sure.
    To the point of canceling? Nope.
    I was looking at who's really canceling... I may not have been as clear.

There's no good reason for anyone to cancel until after SDCC. A lot of people are giving Matty until then to wow us.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    You also have to take into account that Mattel's castle is literally the only game in town. the Icons Grayskull is not made for the MOTUC line, nor is it a playset. Without using names the only other thing that is even close is an unofficial product, is not a playset (facade only), comes unpainted and is not that much cheaper (but it is very cool none the less, not knocking it).

The chances of another version of Grayskull are slim to none. Maybe if there is a movie, but there is no guarantee that a movie MOTU line would exist, do well at retail, or be MOTUC scale.

So the choice is to get this version, or don't get one at all. That is a hard choice for a collector to make. That is why I think there is disappointment, because THIS IS IT, you know? Sure people can cancel...but no one wins there.

I am hopeful that come SDCC that it will look better. I think if the drawbridge is lowered that it will make a big difference. I'm not that worried about accessories myself, anything more then the b sheet is a bonus.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    There's no good reason for anyone to cancel until after SDCC.
    I don't think that is a fair thing to suggest at all. Those who wish to cancel early certainly have good reason to do so, the castle we are getting is not what Mattel is advertising and soliciting money for.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

I wasn't criticizing anyone who chooses to do so. I just meant that there is no need to do so before then, and we will have more information by then.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    There's no good reason for anyone to cancel until after SDCC. A lot of people are giving Matty until then to wow us.
    Agreed. There is no good reason. You can still cancel after the final prototype is revealed - probably with a tweaked entrance with more head room . And people are basing their comments on their impression of what the castle looks like on photos, not the real thing. Only a handfew here (baen, Val, Brian etc.) have actually seen the real thing at the NYTF. Lets give the castle a chance! After the SDCC a lot more people will have a more informed, first hand opinion of the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar

75% voted NO.

57% voted NO.

35% voted YES.

all is said
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't think that is a fair thing to suggest at all. Those who wish to cancel early certainly have good reason to do so, the castle we are getting is not what Mattel is advertising and soliciting money for.
    "Power to Good!"

I think he means that fans shouldn't be too hasty to cancel, thinking that the final castle in December will be just like the prototype shown in February. Imagine if the Castle entrance is fixed and fans wind up regretting canceling too early?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Court Magician
    There is plenty of good reason..as the castle has gone through changes from proposed castle...and.. Toyguru has stated that more changes are in the works and we are not guaranteed to even get what we saw..in other words there can only be less...definitely not more! (meanwhile in his original video pitch..he stated we wont get less but we may get more)
    Oh and forget about any changes to the entrance, ive seen a photo of some women painting multiple castles..so the molds are done and the castles are produced..theyre not gonna scrap all that and start over.
    I hope Im wrong but judging from business practice and ideals... I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikorfan View Post
    Really? Maybe I'm just too much the noob, but even so it's hard to believe. I've been a long time collector of Star Wars figures and Hasbro has really turned a cold shoulder to collectors in recent years. There's next to little communication with fans, and when there is communication it's for them to essentially say 'sorry, but we're not listening." (We've been screaming to deaf ears for playsets and the Sail Barge to name a few). From what I've seen Toyguru appears to stay pretty well connected with the community and is reasonably up front (as well as a front man can be, I suppose) about the decision making process for the line.

I'm not taking issue with your opinion here in any way though to be clear; I guess I'm just shocked to hear something like this because I'd love it if Hasbro had an equivalent liaison with Star Wars Collectors, if only to get some answers.
    I used to feel that way too, until I realized that much of the open communication is just a form of free marketing and manipulation. Mattel shapes our expectations with their words, overpromising, hyping things up, getting us to sub and then under-delivering. They have to have this level of communication because they make collecting this line so darn difficult. You can only buy a sub 3 weeks of the year, you have to fight to get figures online once a month, during the middle of the work day, that is if DOS is even available. On and on and on, there is no marketing, there has been no media support until recently with the comics, so they have to reach out. Personally, I wish they had just kept quiet the whole time.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if people are hoping to send a message to Mattel to force them not to cut things further? Otherwise, I think you are right. There is still time to cancel, so why do it now? It'll cost more if you are wowed (somehow) at SDCC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-loser View Post
    There is plenty of good reason..as the castle has gone through changes from proposed castle...and.. Toyguru has stated that more changes are in the works and we are not guaranteed to even get what we saw..in other words there can only be less...definitely not more! (meanwhile in his original video pitch..he stated we wont get less but we may get more)
    Oh and forget about any changes to the entrance, ive seen a photo of some women painting multiple castles..so the molds are done and the castles are produced..theyre not gonna scrap all that and start over.
    I hope Im wrong but judging from business practice and ideals... I doubt it.
    I don't think he meant there's no reason to cancel, just no real advantage to cancelling right now and there are possible disadvantages to cancelling now, especially if the castle turns out better. At least that was my interpretation when I agreed with him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Respectfully, are you seriously suggesting that 35% of people considering cancelling their pre-order isn't a LOT?

I'm one of the people on the fence right now. There are a lot of things I love about the Castle, and a few things that powerfully damage my ability to enjoy it. Come SDCC, if some things aren't fixed, it's going to be a very hard decision to make. Even so, it would be nutballs to say that 35% of people having second thoughts is not incredibly high for what should be a crown-jewel of everyone's collection and a must-buy for any MOTU fan.

For the record: Times like this make me wish I was a vintage collector. The new Castle is absolutely perfect for the original toys.

I guess he is a "the glass is 65% full" kinda guy
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

I dont think it makes sense to try and dismiss or validate any other persons reasson for canceling now.
    For them, I'd assume, it wasnt good enough or what they wanted and I say right on.
    For others, like myself, I am still hoping for the draw bridge to be lowered. I'm gonna wait and see. I like most of it overall. The size, ive made my peace with. The rest is a wait and see.
    I get some well respected org members have seen it and love it.
    However, no ones buying it for me. So, as much as one person may love it its my taste and money to decide. lol
    The real mess is members arguing over it.

I think that giant custom from actionfigurepics.com really made me think that I could create my own custom (just the front as I don't need the entire thing) and make it as large as I want. I am skilled in sculpting, painting, etc. I could use a fraction of the $$$ and make my own and make it awesome. I might even cast it and see if others want one as it could be reproduced and painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    I dont think it makes sense to try and dismiss or validate any other persons reasson for canceling now.
    For them, I'd assume, it wasnt good enough or what they wanted and I say right on.
    For others, like myself, I am still hoping for the draw bridge to be lowered. I'm gonna wait and see. I like most of it overall. The size, ive made my peace with. The rest is a wait and see.
    I get some well respected org members have seen it and love it.
    However, no ones buying it for me. So, as much as one person may love it its my taste and money to decide. lol
    The real mess is members arguing over it.
    I think all he is saying is that you have not seen the final product yet. You have not been charged anything for ordering. You liked the idea enough off of the b-sheet to order. So what harm is there in waiting to see the final product and see if it is better? It is your order and you can cancel if you like, but keep in mind that if you change your mind, it will cost you more in the future and it will cost you nothing to wait. I am dissatisfied with the changes they have made, but I will not cancel until I see the final product because I dont trust Mattel at their word. They could come back with a better Castle and I would be ****** if I over reacted to the situation. I probably will not cancel anyways, because as someone else mentioned, it would still look awesome with my vintage figures!

I'm waiting, probably until the last minute, to cancel and I'm working on making one of my own in the meantime.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Yeah that 35% is shared between people canceling, and people that are undecided.

The whole idea that this issue has descended into arguing about the significance of people who have cancelled their pre orders is just sad. SAD! It doesn't matter if it is 8.55% or 35%, the fact that there IS a % at ALL that represents people unhappy/dissatisfied is not a break out the party hats and cake moment.