Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing the air on Castle Grayskull

Great update Scott! Can't wait to play with my Batros and Castle Grayskull this Christmas.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post

And apparently, only you continue to operate under the misconception that MOTUC is a 6" line, when it's clearly a 7" scale line.

Is this misinformation instead deliberate for some reason?

Why is that the bottom line? Why wasn't a better cost estimate calculated from the beginning of the project? Whose job is it to do cost-estimates? Is someone being held accountable for such a serious error?

Until you go into more detail on this, you will continue to have upset customers who will demand a better explanation, who feel like they were sold on one thing, and then presented with another.

Highly doubtful, and even if so, this is at major odds with the situation this line is facing. If you really were trying to look out for this line, you'd be much more concerned than that.
    ...Oy. Another one holding Scott "personally" responsible... Because he IS the CEO AND the Board of Directors of Mattel...
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Heroic Warrior
    Scott,

From one collector to another, taking time out of your busy day to keep both the collector and consumer well informed on our beloved MOTUC brand is very well appreciated and a great way to start our weekend. Thank you for this update, and many prior updates. It's great to know and witness a brand managers passion for their products. I'm a loyal customer like many, and cannot wait to add many more classics to my line up. Thank you again and have a great weekend!!!

Just getting to read this…thank you so much Scott! I'm sure adjusting the Jawbridge will help with a lot of those that aren't totally satisfied. From what I've seen, the castle is fantastic! I can't wait to see how the finished product fleshes out.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

He should always approach the customer base with this humility
    Slightly out of character
    Wondering if he wrote this or if he was forced
    Either way its impressive and an over due gesture
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    Wait....SDCC Exclusive"s" (!!) ... will there be more than one??
    This peaked my interest too!

While it's been tough on the wallet dealing with the prices in this line, the more we get now, the sooner the better. $25 a fig now is better than $30 a fig a few years down the road. Keep pumping out more Classics, we're so close to having a full line of vintage. And I hope a Snake Mountain is in the works. This would be a large item that wouldn't be as controversial as Grayskull, since the size and look is different in most interpretations, it could be mastered by the Four Horsemen and Mattel.

I appreciate the communication and any updates as progress on the Castle is made. There are still things I am going to be unhappy about (the nonsensical Wind Raider base being forced upon us, which nobody seems to want at all as part of their castle, when accessories that fans ARE interested in having are now threatened to be on the chopping block). But I am happy with the actual sculpt of the outside of the castle, happy about the fact that an impending Point Dread attachment's compatibility with the playset is being thought about ahead of time (you've come a long way since the She-Ra 1.0's skirt vs. Swiftwind's saddle debacle!), and am pleased with all of the paint decos chosen thus far. Overall, the good outweighs the bad here. I think what most people are frustrated about are the things that ARE a problem should have been nipped in the bud during the playset's early development before NYTF's reveal (there always should have been more headroom for He-Man to clear the Jawbridge, the throne always should have been made with the Sorceress or King He-Man's ability to sit upon it in mind, nobody should have thought that parking the enormous Wind Raider vehicle inside the cramped first floor of the castle was something that was going to impress the fans, etc.).
    I am still excited about Grayskull and the future of the line.
    And I hope that in the future, should things like Point Dread, The Slime Pit, Snake Mountain, etc. be developed, that the problems that are plaguing Grayskull don't rear their heads again.

Thank you Scott. This message is much appreciated. I don't think Transformers fans have this luxury - of hearing such a direct message from the Transformers brand manager. By industry, we shouldn't even be hearing from you. So consider me a spoiled fan, and I thank you for giving us access to you. Many fans just don't understand the design and production process. If this were a retail line, we wouldn't even be seeing all this back and forth until the castle was on the shelves - and people would love it as is.

I'll still NEVER understand why the Wind Raider is parked in the middle of the castle floor - blocking entrance from the jawbridge doorway. But I've still subscribed, and WON't be cancelling.

- mykan
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I was very appreciative of the Castle Grayskull Q&A Toyguru/Mattel set up here on the .org. That's something that you didn't HAVE to do, but it was great that you did do it. It gave out detailed answers to a lot of concerns that are out there. I also very much appreciate this special message to customers and fans (we ARE customers, after all ).

My personal biggest fear/gripe: the Jawbridge opening is too small when opened, having a figure standing on it. Knowing this is being looked into is excellent news.

However, I really do hope everyone involved understands why there will still be very upset/angry customers, though (and probably more cancellations). For multiple months customers were promised via text, video, audio podcasts and in person that everything shown on the B-sheet (accessory-wise) would be included, as well as other things that will not be happening (fully sculpted interiors, bigger dimensions, no stickers/decals). We were CONTINUOUSLY told we may get MORE accessories, but not less than what was shown. Now the Castle shown at NYTF is missing some accessories shown on the blueprints (but has some different ones, so that was an understandable trade off I guess)...until it's said some accessories shown at NYTF might get cut! 2013 was supposed to be the year of NO cut accessories because of the price increases and you, again, specifically said the $250 price tag was to "have enough wiggle room to put enough into it" and that's why the Castle was not priced at $200.

All in all, I'm very happy the 4H and everyone at Mattel are trying to do their best with Castle Grayskull, but I PRAY this situation has taught everyone at Mattel to be careful with their words and promises. If "change is inevitable" as you say in this post, please, NEVER say things like "you may get more than what's shown here, but NOT less." Say something like "This B-Sheet is what we propose to make Castle Grayskull. We plan to include everything shown and hopefully more!" That way, if budgetary constraints, logistics, etc. come in the way, you didn't make any specific promises to customers you were not able to keep. Many people understand costs get in the way and sacrifices have to be made, but people are upset at all the very specific and detailed promises given for months that have been broken. Breaking promises does not put faith into customers who are already on the fence about subscribing to Club Eternia 2014. I for sure will be here until the line is done, but you have to always think about the future.
    Very well put
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    ...Oy. Another one holding Scott "personally" responsible... Because he IS the CEO AND the Board of Directors of Mattel...
    As Brand Manager, he is responsible for communications to the fan community. Lets not forget that.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Heroic Warrior
    Disappointed in the size, but the castle still looks amazing. Hopefully they will be able to include all of the accessories or bring out some expansion packs for anything missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    In the end, this is going to be an amazing peice and I hope will please the majority of fans. We are actively working on the following changes from what was shown at NYTF:

1: Adding a slot in the throne for the Sorceress' tail feathers.
    2: Adding a slot/crack by the Jaw Bridge for the Power Sword (like in the mini comics)
    3: Adding a key hole in the back door that fits Scareglow's key
    4: Lowering the Jaw Bridge door into the base for a taller opening
    I haven't pre-ordered Grayskull myself as I prefer the Filmation castle, and gimmicks like the lift isn't my thing. However if I were a vintage toy version fan, so long as the above is sorted, I personally think those would vastly improve Grayskull and make fans happy. So thanks!

Looking ahead, boy do we have amazing things coming down! Club Filmation, SDCC exclusives (to be revealed in late Spring) and the 2014 line is shapping up well. I have worked with the team to create a new roadmap that if we get a 2014 and 2015 line should wrap up the vintage lines and most of the major fan requested animated figs. It doesn't mean we won't get to more in 2016 and beyond, but with rising costs we wanted to do all we can to get to the vintage line in the next two years.
    I hope Madame Razz is included in the 2014 roadmap, if she doesn't appear this year!
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Quote Originally Posted by xequae View Post
    Disappointed in the size, but the castle still looks amazing. Hopefully they will be able to include all of the accessories or bring out some expansion packs for anything missing.
    I agree
    It is great to see Grayskull being made though!

This post is appreciated. Definitely looking forward to Grayskull, no matter the size.

The best updates were about fixing the Throne for Sorceress' wings and the sword slot at the Jawbridge. Also the attempt to lower the Jawbridge is welcome as He-Man should be able to stand in the door if at all possible.

Personally, I hope fans stick with their orders of the Castle as I would dearly love this to be a success and open the door for Snake Mountain eventually.

There is still great potential for this line to grow - if the fans stick with it!

Thanks Mattel.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Lowering the Jaw Bridge door into the base for a taller opening
    Mondo bodacious!
    Thank you for listening, finally, our voices.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    As Brand Manager, he is responsible for communications to the fan community. Lets not forget that.
    What OTHER brand manager communicates with us this directly, AND on such a regular basis? If you know the guy that runs Transformers over at Hasbro - and how to get in touch with him, let me know. I have SEVERAL choice words to share with him...where are my Female Autobots in Transformers Classics? At least Scott puts himself out there for everyone to see, I'd say that's NOT an industry standard.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Their are a lot of posts floating around and some concern that I hope I can clear up.
    Yes, thank you, you've cleared up my mind. I'm now 99.999% sure I'll cancel most or all of my 3 preorders.

I mean come on, selling in a 6" playset from a drawing B sheet? Who does that?
    First off, MotUC is a 7" line (measure your MotUC figures, will you?), which is about 50% larger in terms of mass and volume than true 6" lines such as DCUC and 200X MotU. The prototype castle fits the 200X 6" figures very well, but MotUC figures are notably larger than that and look crammed and oversized when placed in a 6"-scale playset.

OTOH, you ask "who does that?", and I ask: who does what? What you've done is to bait a product based on a B sheet specification and, after pre-selling it, you've then switched it for something about 25% volumetrically smaller with cheapened features and cut accessories. Not many companies do that, of course, because bait-and-switch is an unethical business practice.

Bottom line, is that based on the price of $250.00, the current sculpt is 100% the biggest we can get. Yes. It is an inch or two smaller than the dimensions given at presale. And 100% we still expect some changes to happen (not neccessarily to the size but possibly to some of the accessories). We are committed to making sure to update everyone as the process continues to be as upfront as possible on any changes coming through.
    The castle was initially going to be $200, but then you said you needed to increase the price 25% so as to be able to offer what was on the B sheets and maybe more but no less. Now it turns out with a $250 price you can only "afford" a castle that is 25% smaller than the one presented in the B sheet, with cheaped-out features (such as negative inner walls and 50¢ stickers in place of sculpted details) and accessories cut (and probably more will be cut). If I made such a gross cost-estimation miscalculation at work, I'd be fired.

In no way is anyone trying to hoodwink or scam anyone. As I said. This entire process is very unprecendented. Change is inevitable.
    No, it's not. Other companies are doing presales all the time, and what they promise, they deliver. If Hot Toys overpromised the moon and stars on a $250 item and then underdelivered a subpar product and justified it with Mattel's kind of lame excuses, the customer backlash would surely be unprecedented.

We are not secretly trying to bring down the brand.
    Of course not, Mattel is simply trying to squeeze the most dollars out of customers without delivering their money's worth.

I think when folks see the final model in San Diego, fears that the size is not up to snuff will be dilutted.
    You have already flatly stated no major changes will be made at all. So what we've already seen is an almost final version, and thus we already know what we may see in San Diego; although, probably, the final version will be even worse.

Those who were in person at NYTF (i.e. Val, Dan) have been pretty vocal that the castle is huge. Yes, it is slightly smaller vs the foam model, but that is just part of the toy making process.
    "Slightly smaller" is a very curious way to say about 25% smaller.

In the end, this is going to be an amazing peice and I hope will please the majority of fans.
    What was shown at NYTF we're being told is basically almost nearly the final version, and that's quite far from an amazing piece that is pleasing the majority of fans.

We are actively working on the following changes from what was shown at NYTF:

1: Adding a slot in the throne for the Sorceress' tail feathers.
    2: Adding a slot/crack by the Jaw Bridge for the Power Sword (like in the mini comics)
    3: Adding a key hole in the back door that fits Scareglow's key
    4: Lowering the Jaw Bridge door into the base for a taller opening
    That's just the tip of the iceberg of what the castle needs fixing. There are head clearance issues all around the castle, not just at the jawbridge. The top left floor and the dungeon door and window are two other flagrant examples.

Nobody outside Mattel wants that silly and utterly useless WR plug. Scrap it already and lower the whole ground floor to be flush with the base, which will increase the inner clearance by some 2 inches and solve most of the headroom issues all at once.

Beyond that, their just is not time or resources to make changes. We 100% hear fans on many suggestions, but when we say "no we can't make that change" it is not meant as an insult, it is just letting fans/customers know that factually that change can't be made. If I gave the impression that the model shown in NY was going to change, then bad on me. But to be clear now, their won't be changes beyond what was shown and noted above. We hope everything shown in NY will be in the final toy, but their is always a chance things may change/get cut. If that does happen, we will be sure to let everyone know.
    So, you had about 3 months to make the prototype, but waited till the last moment to rush a half-baked version in the last 15 days. And then, what was presented at NYTF is now basically already set in stone—not really a prototype, but an almost final version—before any customer feedback. Way to go, Mattel.

We've got so much good stuff to look forward to, I am nothing but grinning ear to ear.
    I'd rather you stopped inflating vain expectations and, for once, concentrated on actually delivering.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Very well thought out and professional update. I'm really happy to hear about the additions also, the Scareglow key hole etc.

I hope the throne can also accomidate caped figures, so KING HE-MAN can sit in it. Though, I don't expect that it will. Sounds like its a specific slot just for the Sorceress wings...which is much better than nothing!!!
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    That's funny, I must have missed the part where Mattel's CEO and Board of Directors personally promised us specific sizes and features on the Castle in order to secure our pre-order . . .

I heartily agree with uaxuctum's post above.

Well said.
    Last edited by retcon; March 1, 2013 at 07:40pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Why can't we do a Pre-Order thing for Accessories Pack for the Castle such as the Dungeon Grate? How about the Weapons Rack? Pre-Order that too since some of us passed on it the first time. Maybe the Sorceress' mirror too. Just go ahead and make these things, presale them and in December we can have a COMPLETE Castle Grayskull

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    What OTHER brand manager communicates with us this directly, AND on such a regular basis? If you know the guy that runs Transformers over at Hasbro - and how to get in touch with him, let me know. I have SEVERAL choice words to share with him...where are my Female Autobots in Transformers Classics? At least Scott puts himself out there for everyone to see, I'd say that's NOT an industry standard.
    Just because it's not the "industry standard" doesn't mean that warrants a pass with the way Castle Grayskull or other types of issues have been handled. Let's not forget, it's in Mattel's best interest to maintain communications like this when dealing with a strictly online adult collector line. Much like everything Mattel does, this isn't a "favor" to the fans. They realize if they want to get people interested about what's going on, they have to communicate with their customers.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Thank you VERY much!
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ..."Estimates" and "All items subject to change" hardly constitute "promises", Good Sir!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Not sure whats new in Scott's post !

In short it is :-

Hey all, We can't change the size of CG. But yeah, accessories can be cut. Here's a recap of some of the answers from CG Q&A (about tweaks done in CG).

BTW, Buy Filmation SUB & Pre-Order CG ! Don't wait !!

Best is yet to come, See Ya !!

---------------------------------

Clearing The Air ???? SORRY !!

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Yes, thank you, you've cleared up my mind. I'm now 99.999% sure I'll cancel most or all of my 3 preorders.

First off, MotUC is a 7" line (measure your MotUC figures, will you?), which is about 50% larger in terms of mass and volume than true 6" lines such as DCUC and 200X MotU. The prototype castle fits the 200X 6" figures very well, but MotUC figures are notably larger than that and look crammed and oversized when placed in a 6"-scale playset.

OTOH, you ask "who does that?", and I ask: who does what? What you've done is to bait a product based on a B sheet specification and, after pre-selling it, you've then switched it for something about 25% volumetrically smaller with cheapened features and cut accessories. Not many companies do that, of course, because bait-and-switch is an unethical business practice.

The castle was initially going to be $200, but then you said you needed to increase the price 25% so as to be able to offer what was on the B sheets and maybe more but no less. Now it turns out with a $250 price you can only "afford" a castle that is 25% smaller than the one presented in the B sheet, with cheaped-out features (such as negative inner walls and 50¢ stickers in place of sculpted details) and accessories cut (and probably more will be cut). If I made such a gross cost-estimation miscalculation at work, I'd be fired.

No, it's not. Other companies are doing presales all the time, and what they promise, they deliver. If Hot Toys overpromised the moon and stars on a $250 item and then underdelivered a subpar product and justified it with Mattel's kind of lame excuses, the customer backlash would surely be unprecedented.

Of course not, Mattel is simply trying to squeeze the most dollars out of customers without delivering their money's worth.

You have already flatly stated no major changes will be made at all. So what we've already seen is an almost final version, and thus we already know what we may see in San Diego; although, probably, the final version will be even worse.

"Slightly smaller" is a very curious way to say about 25% smaller.

What was shown at NYTF we're being told is basically almost nearly the final version, and that's quite far from an amazing piece that is pleasing the majority of fans.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of what the castle needs fixing. There are head clearance issues all around the castle, not just at the jawbridge. The top left floor and the dungeon door and window are two other flagrant examples.

Nobody outside Mattel wants that silly and utterly useless WR plug. Scrap it already and lower the whole ground floor to be flush with the base, which will increase the inner clearance by some 2 inches and solve most of the headroom issues all at once.

So, you had about 3 months to make the prototype, but waited till the last moment to rush a half-baked version in the last 15 days. And then, what was presented at NYTF is now basically already set in stone—not really a prototype, but an almost final version—before any customer feedback. Way to go, Mattel.

I'd rather you stopped inflating vain expectations and, for once, concentrated on actually delivering.
    WELL.... SAID..... SIR !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !