Thread: Action Figure Hoarding

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar

Action Figure Hoarding

In a completely serious manner, do any fellow collectors feel as though they are hoarding or have hoarder like tendencies? If so care to share at all?
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    In a completely serious manner, do any fellow collectors feel as though they are hoarding or have hoarder like tendencies? If so care to share at all?

I hoarde Transformers on clearance. I don't like to transform them, so I just buy more than one if they are cheap. It's a real PITA with triple changers....

I do it with other clearance lines. The way I see it, if a figure is on deep clearance, it is either not worth picking up at all, or it is worth picking up multiples. There's no reason to ever buy one of anything on clearance

I also like to have stuff loose to fiddle around with, but I'm a MOC collector at heart. That creates an internal conflict.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; March 1, 2013 at 05:33pm.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I dont feel like a hoarder in the sense I buy everything I see....but I do feel like a hoarder, because most of what I do buy, goes into boxes or tubs. Until recently I only had 1 display case. now I have 4 and starting to unpack my stuff is a great feeling. I oftern thought to myself "Why am I spending money on stuff only to put it in a box and never see it again" I have often thought that I must be nuts. It was partially due to the fact that display cases are expensive, so after spending money on the toys themselves, I can really go out and bu a case to put them in. Anyway's, like phil said, it often creates an internal conflict.

I actually have the opposite problem in that I will buy something I really like, but then a bill will come in and I need money so I sell.

I wish I would hoard my figures and keep them no matter what comes up in life, because a week, month, or even year down the road I will wish I hadn't sold it I am kicking myself for all sorts of cherished items I have sold, but wish I had back.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

What really sucks is when you buy a figure you don't want just for the accessories. I snagged a pair of optimus maximus at TJ Maxx last week for $20 a pop. All I wanted was the gun. I'm now trying to sell one of the figures (minus the gun) on ebay to recoup some of the money that was spent. Three watchers (groan). If he sells, I might put up the other one too.

The important thing is I got the guns

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    The important thing is I got the guns

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...4&d=1361375244
    Yes, that is what's important. lol.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    What really sucks is when you buy a figure you don't want just for the accessories. I snagged a pair of optimus maximus at TJ Maxx last week for $20 a pop. All I wanted was the gun. I'm now trying to sell one of the figures (minus the gun) on ebay to recoup some of the money that was spent. Three watchers (groan). If he sells, I might put up the other one too.

Yes, he sold!

Well, after Ebay fees it's probably lucky to get back 60% of the cost, but 60% of $20 is a decent sum. I have to decide to keep the other one or try to move him too.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    If you saw my Star Wars collection you might start to wonder...

But in seriousness, I have began selling things off now that I have my toy room setup. If it does not have place, it goes bye bye.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I don't think of myself as a hoarder, but there are times when I feel like there is too much stuff in my house. For example, mail tends to pile up on the counter and it's mostly bills.

Anytime I see the hoarders show, I generally start throwing things away.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Starts to feel that way after awhile, hence my need for getting rid of some things. There comes a point where you get some major favorites, but then a new version comes along that it WAY better - and again, and again, and so on and so forth. So I've got multiple versions of figures when I'm only really fond of whichever is the best one, and I'm wondering what the heck I'm keeping the older ones for. Good example is the fact that I'm trying to replace my 6 inch superheros with the 3.5 ones, but there's still so many of the 6 inchers that I'm quite find of. On top of that, I've been staying away from 6 inch, but they keep trying to draw me back in with recent offerings! I decided to keep some 6 inch and get rid of most, but the worst part of trying to get rid of things is HOLDING THEM. Once they're in your hand, you're fiddling with them, and you remember why you bought it in the first place.

But DANG, if you all but forget it while it's packed away, then why do you have it, Alexx? Eh?

You know what I mean. So while I wouldn't call it a horde - since it just fills one room - I still get bothered by the large amounts of things I can't enjoy because there's just SO MUCH. I need a smaller collection of just the major favorites. And heck, the toy interest is never going to die in me, so weeding the garden is also important so I can keep getting new and interesting things. You know - keep a rotating batch of things, rather than ALL the things.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    at one time I save all my vintage toys. I sold all my old toys.
    I feel I'm going to give up my Marvel Universe figures some time soon.
    I'm still hording some duplicate MOTUC figures. saving them for custom's. I plan on selling what I can't use, but they are not selling well right now. I would need to cut a loss to get rid of them.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Let's just say I still own every single toy and figure from my childhood. If that doesn't constitute as being a hoarder, I don't know what does. And, the chances of my hoarded goods being dealt with in my lifetime is slim unless I can get past sentimentality with some of the stuff and learn to sell some.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure I am, but luckily I'd never make it onto that show- I'm too good at storing. I may have boxes and cases to the ceiling in some areas, but that I can handle. Particularly now, when I've decided to sell off a large bit of my stock...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

If you don't keep used kleenex, dead animals, or bodily fluids, You aren't a hoarder.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    If you don't keep used kleenex, dead animals, or bodily fluids, You aren't a hoarder.
    Cheerio!!!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    Howard Hughes being the king of that degree of hoarder.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Let's just say I still own every single toy and figure from my childhood. If that doesn't constitute as being a hoarder, I don't know what does. And, the chances of my hoarded goods being dealt with in my lifetime is slim unless I can get past sentimentality with some of the stuff and learn to sell some.
    It depends on what you kept, and why; I never got rid of an action figure, which is why I didn't have to go back and spend thousands of dollars rebuilding my Major Matt Mason or Mego collections. Now, I never kept my See and Say toys or a lot of other stuff, but I did keep my Horrible Hamilton and later found out there were other figures to go with him. I also have the orignal Muppet puppets from the 70's (and I've gotten more folks asking to buy those from me than anything else I own!).

If there wasn't a little bit of a hoarder in all collectors, there would be nothing to collect that is more than a few years old. It becomes a problem only if the collection controls you rather than the other way around.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman