Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 114 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 114 Discussion!

Episode 114 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

***Val has been swamped with the initial stages of Power-Con 2013 and deadlines for Marvel Comics. He will post episodes 112 and 113 at a later date. He apologizes for the delay.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by Scott Neitlich and Eric Treadaway as they discuss
    snow,
    Castle Grayskull's size,
    interior walls,
    the jawbridge and doorway,
    the ledge,
    the dungeon,
    the throne,
    the fascade,
    the stonework,
    the handle at the top,
    Filmation subline,
    Octavia update on crotch piece,
    Ram Man,
    Grayskull boxart,
    things Eric would have liked to do,
    the floor mat,
    laser cannon,
    Mantenna
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on February 17, 2013
    Runtime: 1 hour, 29 minutes, 18 seconds

Direct link for Episode 114

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Can not freaking wait to listen,you guys have me hooked on these.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Downloaded now, so can't wait, thanks uncle Val.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I originally planed displaying my He-Man sitting on Battle Cat on the Jawbridge

But absolute awesome what Eric said what was going on in his head, creating that thing! Makes totally sense!
    Last edited by JimPansen; March 3, 2013 at 05:42pm.

Cool beans. A great way to end the week - a Sunday Roast (Gooble) Dinner!

Listening now, Eamon is really pushing the size issue! Good stuff!

Downloaded the app too, finally. Well worth the £1.49.
    THE KEY! GET THE KEY!

Thanks for your time, Val !!! It's greatly appreciated

Listening to it right now
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    PennyDreadfull and ToyGuru,

It was me who compiled the visual list for the Grayskull Box art character list ->

There are some character images that I haven't put on yet...but I'll update it later this week if everyone wants?

Poor KARATII got missed out!!!
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Good call Val, can't wait to get home and listen to it...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

My only gripe with this episode is that no one has asked Scott to explain the Wind Raider base inside Castle Grayskull, and what his thoughts are regarding the fact that it is wanted by almost no one. Other than that, it's a great listen, this one!

Just finished the episode.

I'm with Eamon it would be awesome to have He-Man atop Battlecat (or BattleDerpy ) coming though the drawbridge of the castle.

I'm glad Eamon was willing to speak his mind, I know many are saying there is to much negativity around Grayskull. It's important to speak up and not fear backlash from other fans or Mattel. I like Eamon feel the castle looks amazing but it is a bit to small.

I'd be so excited if Castaspella turned out to be the 100th figure, she is fantastic looking.

I can't wait to see what Scott has planned for 2014, and the SDCC reveals.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    Just finished the episode.

I'm with Eamon it would be awesome to have He-Man atop Battlecat (or BattleDerpy ) coming though the drawbridge of the castle.

I'm glad Eamon was willing to speak his mind, I know many are saying there is to much negativity around Grayskull. It's important to speak up and not fear backlash from other fans or Mattel. I like Eamon feel the castle looks amazing but it is a bit to small.

I'd be so excited if Castaspella turned out to be the 100th figure, she is fantastic looking.

I can't wait to see what Scott has planned for 2014, and the SDCC reveals.
    I agree, I'm very pleased with Eamon and his comments in particular. I agree with him completely and I am glad he spoke up. We shouldn't even be having complaint discussions.

Personally, I am not buying the excuse about the dungeon grate. What toy designer represents the placement of a 2D sticker with a 3D drawing? Answer = none. Scott says that it was never part of the plan. But, at NYCC, when he was presenting the b-sheet, someone asked if the castle would have decals. Scott replied, saying that they were are going to be sculpted like the Wind Raider. Why doesn't he remember this? Also, Scott says it wasn't listed on the pre-order sheet. Well, neither were the banners and they are there. Another thing to think about...Scott says they even told the 4H NOT to sculpt the dungeon grate, continuing to comment, "...and they did, because they love to over-sculpt everything". Really? That implies they were told not to BEFORE they sculpted it. The 4H worked overtime to get Castle Grayskull done for NYTF. Eric even states they were scrambling to get it done. When the prototype was shown, the interior wasn't even finished. Do you really think it makes any sense for them to have wasted time sculpting such a beautifully intricate dungeon grate for the castle if it wasn't supposed to be there? Wouldn't they have used that time to finish the interior first before sculpting AND painting Extra stuff? Think about it...

Lots of discrepancies regarding this particular piece.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; March 3, 2013 at 07:29pm.

I appreciate that you've been posting the most recent episode when you're swamped instead of strictly adhering to release schedule matching the recording order.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Fun to hear thoughts on Modulok... I am in the camp that feels he needs to be able to come apart and be reassembled into all manner of "The Thing"-ish creatures. I've been on pins and needles waiting for the sale date of this guy so I can buy like three additional ones to create an uber-gross, towering monstrosity. A MOTUC Modulok needs to be like the classic toy, but on a grander scale

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Go Eamon! Actually great job everyone as usual. I SERIOUSLY could listen to Eric talk about Castle Grayskull all day. More, more, more - lol.
    Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; March 3, 2013 at 08:56pm.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Thank you Eamon. I really appreciate the questions and comments made.

A few comments, from where I am currently:

Sorry but no way does this beat the new big Millenium Falcon or AT-AT. Not even close. Those toys are mind blowingly cool in detail, accessories, playability, and scale. Can 4 people fit in the Falcon's cockpit? Yes. Do figures seem out of scale in it? No. And that is not even counting electronics.

There are maybe 4 toys in recent years that have blown my mind, and these two make that list.

Now maybe when I see the it in person that will change, but right now...not even in the same category, and certainly not a contender.

Finally a great comment from Eamon: "We are getting them (the figures), but we are PAYING for them." This is very critical. I'm not saying that Scott does not reach out to the fan community, but in the end MOTUC is NOT a fan service. It is a consumer relationship. And we should always remember that. Maybe to some people $37 a figure and $250 for a Castle is spare change, but for others, who are just as much fans and customers as the next, it is a bigger deal. And there is nothing wrong with respectfully voicing concerns about the product.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Not sure I understand how the elevator is going to work or if its gonna work?
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Finally a great comment from Eamon: "We are getting them (the figures), but we are PAYING for them." This is very critical. I'm not saying that Scott does not reach out to the fan community, but in the end MOTUC is NOT a fan service. It is a consumer relationship. And we should always remember that. Maybe to some people $37 a figure and $250 for a Castle is spare change, but for others, who are just as much fans and customers as the next, it is a bigger deal. And there is nothing wrong with respectfully voicing concerns about the product.
    Exactly. Consumer comments are seen too often as fan feedback. They should be handled more respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I know many are saying there is to much negativity around Grayskull. It's important to speak up and not fear backlash from other fans or Mattel.
    In fairness, there's a huge difference in talking to a member of the 4H or Mattel one-on-one, asking a question in a respectful way during a single solitary instance and then dropping the issue whether you like the answer or not, VS posting the same comments over and over again on a forum or social media account, sometimes in an aggressive or hostile way, that rarely result in progress or positive change.

I think episode 115 clears up a couple other things in more detail. But there are going to be people who just won't accept what they hear on 115 or have heard on 114 and will continue on ad naseum about wanting what they can't have. There are some fans like this on He-Man.Org. Beyond that, there are also MOTU/POP fans on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or other forums who post the most heinous remarks. There's no reason for that when it comes to a toy.

If people don't like the explanations or tweaks they get, their recourse is cancelling their order if they remain unsatisfied. I, too, would have liked a few tweaks done to Grayskull. But I've heard Mattel's and the 4H's explanations. Whether I'm content or not, it's now up to me to accept it or cancel my order and move on. Sure, I could lament a little, but even then there's a point to accept and move on.

As always, I'm all for constructive, polite feedback or criticisms of a product or customer service. But I'm not okay with personal attacks, accusations and people who hammer away at the same thing over and over again because they want to have the last word or they can't accept they didn't get their way. It's the later that leads some fans to feel there's too much negativity.

On the flip side, I don't feel the comments about there being too much negativity are accurate. But I can understand how some people draw that conclusion because a handful of people go on and on and it gives a false sense of the scope of displeasure. So if a person isn't insulting, attacking or stuck in repetition, I think it's also up to fans who are happy or content with a product to accept, tolerate or simply ignore fans who post criticism of Grayskull in a concise, constructive manner.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In fairness, there's a huge difference in talking to a member of the 4H or Mattel one-on-one, asking a question in a respectful way during a single solitary instance and then dropping the issue whether you like the answer or not, VS posting the same comments over and over again on a forum or social media account, sometimes in an aggressive or hostile way, that rarely result in progress or positive change.

I think episode 115 clears up a couple other things in more detail. But there are going to be people who just won't accept what they hear on 115 or have heard on 114 and will continue on ad naseum about wanting what they can't have. There are some fans like this on He-Man.Org. Beyond that, there are also MOTU/POP fans on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or other forums who post the most heinous remarks. There's no reason for that when it comes to a toy.

If people don't like the explanations or tweaks they get, their recourse is cancelling their order if they remain unsatisfied. I, too, would have liked a few tweaks done to Grayskull. But I've heard Mattel's and the 4H's explanations. Whether I'm content or not, it's now up to me to accept it or cancel my order and move on. Sure, I could lament a little, but even then there's a point to accept and move on.

As always, I'm all for constructive, polite feedback or criticisms of a product or customer service. But I'm not okay with personal attacks, accusations and people who hammer away at the same thing over and over again because they want to have the last word or they can't accept they didn't get their way. It's the later that leads some fans to feel there's too much negativity.

On the flip side, I don't feel the comments about there being too much negativity are accurate. But I can understand how some people draw that conclusion because a handful of people go on and on and it gives a false sense of the scope of displeasure. So if a person isn't insulting, attacking or stuck in repetition, I think it's also up to fans who are happy or content with a product to accept, tolerate or simply ignore fans who post criticism of Grayskull in a concise, constructive manner.
    That is all well and good....

But why do you hate Glimmer?????
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

But why do you hate Glimmer?????
    *shakes fist at Danielle*

Glimmer is one of my least favorite POP characters. But I explain why in either 112 or 113. It's one of those things that I've felt ever since childhood.

I will toss virtual rotten tomatoes at you when I hear it She is probably my favorite PoP girl beyond Adora.

But we all have our favorites Part of the fun.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Re: Modulok --- omg Danielle yer killin me here. YES he needs to have an option to disassemble/reassemble into what ever monstrosity you can imagine! Same for MB! But I get it; there might even be limits on to just how much budget one figure can have allocated, so he might not exactly be as he was in the vintage line. But I have faith. The 4H have yet to let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Fun to hear thoughts on Modulok... I am in the camp that feels he needs to be able to come apart and be reassembled into all manner of "The Thing"-ish creatures. I've been on pins and needles waiting for the sale date of this guy so I can buy like three additional ones to create an uber-gross, towering monstrosity. A MOTUC Modulok needs to be like the classic toy, but on a grander scale
    Absolutely!

In any case, it's so up in the air about him; thinner sculpt, thicker sculpt, Filmation nods, how the "Y" connectors will be implemented, if at all...

Any discussion involving Modulok is a good discussion.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

I will toss virtual rotten tomatoes at you when I hear it

But we all have our favorites Part of the fun.
    Very true!

That is very true, there are those that beat a topic to death, and I agree that nothing good comes of it. I hope that is not how my post seemed. I was simply saying that I was glad to hear Eamon pose some questions and concerns that he and others were feeling. It made for a great conversation, and we learned more about the development of the castle. I will always support reasonable and thought out conversations and debates about concerns.

*shakes fist at Danielle*

Glimmer is one of my least favorite POP characters. But I explain why in either 112 or 113. It's one of those things that I've felt ever since childhood.
    I'm right there with you, I love POP but Glimmer is not high on my list of favorite characters. I do feel she is important and thus should have been released by this point, but I'm more excited for Queen Angella, Mermista, Peekablue, Double Trouble, Entrapta, and a few more. We all have our favorites.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"