Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC He-man.Org get together

Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC He-man.Org get together

HE-MAN.ORG Informal Gathering:

When: Friday June 7th, 2013. at 6:30pm-????. Look for the white guy in a white He-man.org shirt!
    Where: Five Guys Burgers and Fries (210 E Trade St, Charlotte, NC)

Followed by a walk to the Westin Hotel Lobby for "Lobby-Con"! (aka drinks and talking and goofing around and hanging out) We will probably migrate there at the latest around 8pm. Leave when you have/want to.

See you there!!!!

There was a get together last year. It was small but it was fun. Trying to start the ball rolling on another get together this year.

It will be FRIDAY NIGHT!!

We are doing dinner, 6:30ish (I'll be there around 6:30 and come when you are free) And then meeting anyone else later at the Westin Hotel Lobby (Hotel across the street from the Convention Center).

So Far:
    - EagleOne
    - Barbeque17
    - King Kahn
    - JVS3
    - Tyree

Maybe:
    - Tundra_Torque
    - Bulun
    Last edited by EagleOne; May 29, 2013 at 02:21pm.

I would be potentially interested in it. If I go this year, a get together would be fun!

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Man, I'm always at Hero-con and look forward to this one as well. Count me in!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I had fun meeting up with you guys last year. I'm game to do it again. I'll be there thur- sun.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I'll be keeping the first post updated with a names. And of course the dreaded "Where are we going to meet and talk He-man?" question needs to be raised.

I'm fine with meeting at Fuel (pizza place across the street) again, but wanted to open it up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    I'll be keeping the first post updated with a names. And of course the dreaded "Where are we going to meet and talk He-man?" question needs to be raised.

I'm fine with meeting at Fuel (pizza place across the street) again, but wanted to open it up for discussion.
    Fuel's ok but it was really crowded last year (made it hard to find everyone since everyone from the con goes to Fuel). Maybe we should look at something a block or so away- still close enough to walk but hopefully not completely swarmed.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Fuel's ok but it was really crowded last year (made it hard to find everyone since everyone from the con goes to Fuel). Maybe we should look at something a block or so away- still close enough to walk but hopefully not completely swarmed.
    We can try that again. We kicked ideas around for about 3 weeks last year and settled there because it was easy. I just don't know the area.

Do you have a suggestion?

really everything around the con will be crowded since it is near the con. It's all a matter of getting a place that has room and maybe takes a reservation so you have guaranteed seating.

I'm down for it pending my schedule! ...didn't I catch the tail end of it last year at the bar? Or am I misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm down for it pending my schedule! ...didn't I catch the tail end of it last year at the bar? Or am I misremembering?
    I wouldn't say it was the tail end, more like 1/2 way. You can buy me a shot to make amends. Lol

I was hoping you'd all buy me shots this year! *holds out empty pockets*

And yes Val, you showed up about half way through last year. But you made it up by buying drinks for everyone. So I think that set a precident for being late.

I guess the other question is what are we meeting for. Are we meeting for drinks and to hang out (meet around 9), or are we meeting for dinner (meeting closer to 6:30-7)?

Val, any idea what night might end up better for you this year?

I defer to Karla, really. Master artist extraordinaire Matt Tyree and I will be there, but it's mostly to help at the show.

I'm down for whateva. I have no planned schedule. I'll mostly be hanging with Val. So, if he's there, I probably will be too.
    Matt Tyree
    TyreeOnline
    Email me!
    Matt on Facebook
    Commissions by request! Info here!
    PM or Email me for commission requests!

Hey guys! Here is what I can tell you about the "after hours" events for HeroesCon 2013 so far.

Friday night we will be holding our "Drink and Draw" in the lobby of the Hilton, at the Hilton bar. For the last three years, we used Fuel as the location for this event. If you want to get together on Friday, Fuel MIGHT not be a bad place to do it, because it is the closest restaurant to the convention center. However, should you want to go elsewhere and see a little more of the city, I HIGHLY recommend using the light rail.
    It picks up and drops off right at the convention center, and goes straight through downtown, stopping multiple times. There are lots of really good restaurants located right off the light rail line. There's soul food, barbeque, steaks, ice cream, deli/sandwich counters, etc.
    If I can get a rough count on how many of you there will be, and what you think you'd like to eat, I can make reservations and let you all know the light rail schedule and price ranges for food and travel.

Saturday night during the convention is our Annual Art Auction. This starts around 7pm and goes until we auction off the last piece of art. Sometimes it wraps up around 11pm, sometimes not until 1am or after.

Again, it's totally up to the group as to what day you want to get together. Just let me know and I can try to help make plans!!

*Also: I may have one of the Four Horsemen in tow at the convention too, but we'll have to see what the schedules look like closer to the show.
    Last edited by Karla; March 26, 2013 at 03:00pm.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Karla View Post
    Hey guys! Here is what I can tell you about the "after hours" events for HeroesCon 2013 so far.

Friday night we will be holding our "Drink and Draw" in the lobby of the Hilton, at the Hilton bar. For the last three years, we used Fuel as the location for this event. If you want to get together on Friday, Fuel MIGHT not be a bad place to do it, because it is the closest restaurant to the convention center. However, should you want to go elsewhere and see a little more of the city, I HIGHLY recommend using the light rail.
    It picks up and drops off right at the convention center, and goes straight through downtown, stopping multiple times. There are lots of really good restaurants located right off the light rail line. There's soul food, barbeque, steaks, ice cream, deli/sandwich counters, etc.
    If I can get a rough count on how many of you there will be, and what you think you'd like to eat, I can make reservations and let you all know the light rail schedule and price ranges for food and travel.

Saturday night during the convention is our Annual Art Auction. This starts around 7pm and goes until we auction off the last piece of art. Sometimes it wraps up around 11pm, sometimes not until 1am or after.

Again, it's totally up to the group as to what day you want to get together. Just let me know and I can try to help make plans!!

*Also: I may have one of the Four Horsemen in tow at the convention too, but we'll have to see what the schedules look like closer to the show.
    Awesome! Thank you Karla!

I don't think you made it last year, but I hope that you do this year.

And with the art auction this year, I'm going to just make the executive decision to do it on Friday night again. If you want to protest, call 1-800-U-IN-CHRG!

Now dinner or after dinner party?

I'm definitely planning on going to Heroes Con, so a Friday meet up is good for me.

Also, have single day tickets gone on sale? I saw that 3 days were on sale, but not single day. Is it recommended to go Friday and Saturay?
    Last edited by Tundra_Torque; March 26, 2013 at 10:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    I'm definitely planning on going to Heroes Con, so a Friday meet up is good for me.

Also, have single day tickets gone on sale? I saw that 3 days were on sale, but not single day. Is it recommended to go Friday and Saturay?
    Looks like Single Day Tickets have not gone on sale yet.

Depends on why you are there. Last year was my first time going for all 3 days. And I go more for filling up holes in my collections. I don't go to meet artists, writers, colorists, etc.

For me Friday & Sunday are the best days.
    Friday has the rare things for decent prices (dealers are trying to make sure they make their table fees, travel, food, & hotel costs are covered).
    Saturday everything is typically status quo. May be able to wheel and deal a bit, depending on the vendor.
    Sunday is deal day. Vendors don't want to take it home with them and they made their money back and then some, so they are more open to selling. ($0.10 comics, 50%-60% off trades etc.)

That's my take.

Now my friend goes to buy some things, but he also goes to meet, talk with, and get comissions done by his favorite artists. Some artists are only there some days and certain hours (check the schedule when it gets realeased for dates and times).

I'm up for doing dinner, although I don't know any restaurants in Charlotte that serve Roast Gooble.

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    Looks like Single Day Tickets have not gone on sale yet.

Depends on why you are there. Last year was my first time going for all 3 days. And I go more for filling up holes in my collections. I don't go to meet artists, writers, colorists, etc.

For me Friday & Sunday are the best days.
    Friday has the rare things for decent prices (dealers are trying to make sure they make their table fees, travel, food, & hotel costs are covered).
    Saturday everything is typically status quo. May be able to wheel and deal a bit, depending on the vendor.
    Sunday is deal day. Vendors don't want to take it home with them and they made their money back and then some, so they are more open to selling. ($0.10 comics, 50%-60% off trades etc.)

That's my take.

Now my friend goes to buy some things, but he also goes to meet, talk with, and get comissions done by his favorite artists. Some artists are only there some days and certain hours (check the schedule when it gets realeased for dates and times).
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how extensive the convention was. I only have SDCC and Chicago Comic Con as points of reference. I don't go to meet people, but like you, I go to fill holes in my collection. I can get through the convention floor of Chicago Comic Con in an afternoon. I think that I'll get a one-day ticket when it goes on sale.

I'm excited, though, about the get-together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how extensive the convention was. I only have SDCC and Chicago Comic Con as points of reference. I don't go to meet people, but like you, I go to fill holes in my collection. I can get through the convention floor of Chicago Comic Con in an afternoon. I think that I'll get a one-day ticket when it goes on sale.

I'm excited, though, about the get-together.
    This is tiny compared to SDCC. It's nice and slow and not that crowded. From what people tell me, it is what SDCC was like in the 80's and 90's. It's been growing the last few years with the popularity of comics and the invasion of comic book characters into pop culture. You should be able to get around the floor in one day without any issues.

NYCC, SDCC (and C2E2 is fast becoming as well) are are mega shows for all sorts of media. HeroesCon, though, is a comics-oriented show. In terms of artists and their availability, it's comparable to SDCC and NYCC. It's just missing the big publisher booth presence and all the non-comic media stuff. It's got a ton of panels, the artists are very accessible, and there's a bunch of retailers there with comics, toys and more.

HeroesCon is one of the largest regional shows in the US. It's comparable to Emerald City and Baltimore Comic Con for anyone who's been to those.

So far we have

Dinner: 1 vote (BBQ)

After Dinner: 1 vote (myself)

Well since no one seems to care. I say anyone that wants to meet for dinner can and then we will head back to the Westin Lobby for talking and hanging out. We can always move outside from there, but it seems like a good starting point.

The options for dinner are Five Guys (Cheap and Close), Mert's Soul Food (Moderate but not close), Enso Asian Bistro (Expensive and close), Fuel (Cheap and Closer), or someplace that hasn't been named.

I'm voting 5 Guys.

If I don't hear from anyone by 5/24/13, I'll make that the meeting place.

5 guys has some tasty burgers and even better fries. Gets my vote!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Merts is my favorite place to eat when going to heroescon. I fine with whatever and wherever though except for Mexican food.